Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF GS Main Gear doors.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF GS Main Gear doors.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 10:41 AM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF GS Main Gear doors.

Hi Guys,

I have a TF GS ARF P-51 that I have flow about 20 times in the past couple years and only fly it enough to stay proficent and take to Warbird meets.

When I assembled the bird I could not get the cheesey fiberglass ARF main gear doors to work out, even using the TF recommended method and Robart mounting brackets. A dependable hinge and the articulated mounting to the Robart strut were my down fall.

Winter is here and the shop needs some activity so here goes my request.

I would appreciate information on how some of you guys installed your main gear doors to include pictures, components used and sources for these components. Additionally would appreciate detailed verbal explanation of how the installation is made as it applies to the TF GS ARF airframe. I of course have the ply plate that covers the Robart retract unit. I am interested in the door that attaches to gear leg only not the inner doors.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Frank Baity
AMA 38026
GSWB # 419

Old 12-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TF GS Main Gear doors.

What problem have you had with them? I am finishing this plane now and just mounted my doors last night. I used the wood blocks supplied by TF and the fiberglass doors with the built in frame. I was planning to add two small aluminum straps to each gear. The strap would attach to one side of the block, go around the Robart strut and then attach to the other side of the block. Four straps in all. I know that others have used JB Weld to hold the blocks to the strut.

-Ed B.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:54 AM
FBaity

Flyfast

When I assembled my P-51 the guys in the thread were saying using the blocks wouldn't hold up and the doors would come off during flight. I bought some aluminum brakets from Robart that attached to the strut leg to take the place of the blocks. That being said, the doors need to be hinged to the ply plate that covers the retract unit and as the gear leg moves (up or down) the mount to the leg must articulate because the pivot point of the door and gear leg are at two different points.

Frank
Old 12-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Flyfast1

Frank,

I don't understand why the door needs to be hinged to the ply plate that covers the retract unit. The TF manual show a small gap between the top of the cover (the small end of the cover) and the ply plate that covers the retract unit, so that's how I did mine. Also, I think on mine the two wood blocks are on the same part of the strut, so they should move together. Are the Robart mounting brackets sized to fit on two different parts of the strut that do not move together?

-Ed B.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:39 PM
FBaity

Ed,

Go to the Top Flite web site: www.top-flite.com/techsupport/topa0400.html and see the door installation method I am refering to. The struts shown in this method are early versions and have a mounting lug on the gear leg for door installation. When I called Robart and asked about this mounting lug they refered me to their Door Bracket # 670DB. These brackets slide over the outside of the strut(two per strut)and are locked in place with a little allen set screw. The idea here is to have one upper and one lower bracket on the strut and the fiberglass door attached to both brackets.

Have you read the thread: TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1st Mishap!!!) here in WB section of RCU? I think there is maybe 40 pages of information that is good stuff. If you read the thread you will see several guys lost their door using the mounting method you have used. This is the reason I didn't mount mine per the manual. Furthermore you will see referance to the Top Flite tech notice mentioned above as the solution to the problem.

Frank
Old 12-19-2007, 03:46 PM
FBaity

Ed,

I couldn't get the hyper link to Top Flite to work, lets try:http://www.top-flite.com/techsupport/topa0400tech.html
Old 12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
FBaity

Ed,

You will have to cut and paste the TF web address in message to get to their web site.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Flyfast1

Frank,

I had not seen the tech notice. Interesting approach. I did see that long thread on the plane--I guess I need to go back through it again. I hope I can modify my mounting to keep the doors on!

-Ed B.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:33 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed,

The JB weld on the blocks, the doors, and on the extra straps around the strut make a pretty solid intallation. Also, put a small screw through the door into each wooden block. Epoxy may work as well as JB weld, but the JB weld is not as runny.

I had gear doors on my kit version installed this way. I lost the plane due to radio problem on take off. It nosed down and pancaked in while the gear were still coming up. One retract oleo literally broke off at the clamp, the other retract was torn out of the wing. But both gear doors were still in place on the oleos.

I have installed the doors on my ARF the same way.

Brian
Old 12-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Flyfast, I did the exact same thing you did. Except my covers are made out of aluminum. Works perfect!