Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CMP spitfire color matching question

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CMP spitfire color matching question

Old 12-20-2007, 09:49 PM
maral

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMP spitfire color matching question

Looking to modify a CMP spitfire and I was wondering what paint matches the colors on the plane as well as what
would be the correct color yellow to paint the leading edge of the wings?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-20-2007, 10:58 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: CMP spitfire color matching question

If its a normal RAF scheme (grey and green and light grey undersides) the Leading eadges are recognition yellow.. looks kinda like insignia yellow..
Old 12-20-2007, 11:04 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have this spit , it seems like its more brown and tan , does that pattern even exist ?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:27 AM
maral

I think the top side is Dark Green and Dark Earth. I'm not sure about the underside though - maybe sky gray? I found one source that said the yellow might be recognition yellow, but not sure.

Just wondering if anyone had to touch up or paint their plane and what paint they used that matched? I may have to just take a piece of the plane and try and see what matches it. I think warbirdcolors.com has the paint but before I ordered any I want to be sure.

Thanks, Mark
Old 12-21-2007, 03:25 AM
warbirdcolors
My Feedback: (5)

Mark,

I have matched the German colors for KMP aircraft. They are slightly different than my normal RLM colors, which were matched from the chips in "The Official Monogram Painting Guide to German Aircraft" I have not compared the CMP colors with WarbirdColors. I suspect that, like the KMP colors, they are close (at least I would hope so), but not perfect.

The colors for a Spitfire would be Dark Earth, Dark Green uppers , and Sky undersides. The later models were Dark Green, Ocean Grey uppers with Medium Sea Grey undersides. I have these colors as well, but I have not seen the CMP equivelent, so I do not know where the differences might be. Frankly I'd be surprised if they were the same, and equally surprised if the next container from China was the same color...

At any rate, I can match anything, but the smallest size I can match to is a quart size. On the other hand, repairs done in the field were rarely the same color exactly due to different batches, fading, etc. etc. If they were slightly off, it may look more realistic, depending on your preferences.

Chuck
Old 12-21-2007, 07:29 AM
maral

Chuck, thanks for the information. I think I'll go with your suggestion to use the standard colors.

Mark