Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

25% Cessna L-19/0-1 Bird Dog build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

25% Cessna L-19/0-1 Bird Dog build

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:12 PM
ToxicSludge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MX240

The Dog survived this year and with a little touch-up here and there is ready for 2014

Beautiful bird dog.
-george
Old 01-22-2014, 06:33 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks George,
I was in the Army and had my Asian vacation at Chu Lai and Hill 63 in 68-69 ......and a few other choice spots.
For a time over there I lived right across the runway from a company of pilots flying OV-10's and Bird Dogs so this one of mine is painted close to what I remember.
Only mine looks too new. Lol I am missing the HF stabilizer antennas though but I got tired of working on it.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:12 AM
ToxicSludge

Thanks George,
I was in the Army and had my Asian vacation at Chu Lai and Hill 63 in 68-69 ......and a few other choice spots.
For a time over there I lived right across the runway from a company of pilots flying OV-10's and Bird Dogs so this one of mine is painted close to what I remember.
Only mine looks too new. Lol I am missing the HF stabilizer antennas though but I got tired of working on it.

Welcome home brother.First tour I was in II corps.Based out of Radcliff/Enari/Holloway/Phang Rang.I was air cav so we moved around a lot.Second tour right up on the dmz the whole time.Started off at Quang Tri,then down to camp evans,then phu bai,then home and echo tango sierra.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:37 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redtail
Hey there Fred123, I have finished the DAWG except for painting. I have it set in primer awaiting paint. Decided to set it aside to work on the Avenger. The plan is to paint the DAWG and the Avenger at the same time and then maiden both airframes. Thanks for asking. Chic
Redtail, I just caught this post. You are the man. Looking forward to seeing it when complete.

I was over at RPRCBuilders last weekend to find the rudder of the L-19 damaged. It had slipped from its strap and the tail struck the bed of his truck. Glad the truck was there because it may have fallen to the shop floor had the truck not stopped it. He may have it repaired by now. Today I received the gyro, so I should be flying it soon.

Butlern does not know it yet, but I am going to have him fly it to. I would like to have his input on it.

Take care,

Last edited by WARBIRDRCER; 01-23-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:43 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shucks, thanks for the kind words. I do know what I am going to put into my DAWG, don't tell anyone but I'm now looking for a JR gyro. Smile. Warbirdracer, have you checked out the Avenger build? Chic
Old 01-24-2014, 06:22 AM
MX240

For you guys doing the first flight....be very careful the first time you drop the flaps as this baby is very sensitive and has large pitch changes....up!
I did some damage to mine on about the fifth flight landing with full flaps and I had to add a little power and even with added down trim she pitched up badly and stalled out at ten ft. Some cabin damage and a new windshield. She ain't like a low wing P-51 where there is no pitch change with flaps.
I've been in this for close to fifty years and this plane is my least favorite to fly so I only fly it at warbird airshows.
If I was building this plane again it would have plenty of washout in the wingtips.
And yes I would only fly this plane with a rudder gyro on takeoffs and landings.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:51 AM
gsmith6879
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For you guys doing the first flight....be very careful the first time you drop the flaps as this baby is very sensitive and has large pitch changes....up!
I did some damage to mine on about the fifth flight landing with full flaps and I had to add a little power and even with added down trim she pitched up badly and stalled out at ten ft. Some cabin damage and a new windshield. She ain't like a low wing P-51 where there is no pitch change with flaps.
I've been in this for close to fifty years and this plane is my least favorite to fly so I only fly it at warbird airshows.
If I was building this plane again it would have plenty of washout in the wingtips.
And yes I would only fly this plane with a rudder gyro on takeoffs and landings.
I agree with everything you said. I have 3 degrees of washout built in on my 1/3 scale Bird dog and wouldn't even try to fly it without the washout. For your information the full scale Bird Dog had the same 3 degrees of washout. I just checked my transmitter setting and I have 20% of elevator down trim mixed with my flaps. This gives me a sightly nose down angle on approach and seems to be good.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:14 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Same here concerning the pitch up with applied flaps. The first flight I flew my standard normal high and tested her out. Since I did not preprogram down elevator I had to shoot my first landing with no flaps. Following that I have added mixing each time for the last 3 flights. After reading this post I may add even more travel prior to the next flight.

Another issue we ran into was missing the penciled in washout note on the plans. This bird was inadvertently built with no washout. It has however been slowed way down with no adverse tip stalls, although I won’t make that a standard practice.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:27 AM
fred123

Cool Futaba GYA430 gyro

Received my Futaba GYA430 gyro yesterday and hooked it up. In normal rate mode, I only get about 3/8 inch deflection when I move the tail.. Gain is set at 100% and travel is at max. Am I missing something, or is this normal. I wonder if this is enough to keep it straight on takeoff. In HH mode, the deflection is more like 1 inch or so... Any thoughts on this?? Fred123
Old 02-08-2014, 08:24 AM
WARBIRDRCER

fred123, I have not installed the GYA 430 Gyro I bought yet, but plan to soon. As soon as I do I will ground test mine and report on it. I can say that when I was taking off with the L-19 it did not take full deflections to correct, it just took a lot of left and right steering corrections unlike all other tail wheel warbirds I have flown which seem to respond then somewhat hold their direction through the take-off roll. This plane was kind of like balancing a ball on a rope. It would go left as normal when first applying power, then right for no explained reason. If it were a right thrust issue it would show up upon adding power, which it turns left. Can't be the tail wheel because I bring it up in the beginning to obtain rudder effect and prevent an early lift-off, which it will try to fly green if allowed to remain in the tail down/climb position. This season we plan to work on it, but the gyro idea is to help us figure it out while preventing damage from the possible ground loops.

Either way, I think sometimes the challange of these planes is to us what others find in learning complex aerobatics, or other forms of our hobby. The one common thread is we all hold a transmitter and fly something.

Say, I think I will coin that phrase

Last edited by WARBIRDRCER; 02-08-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:05 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys, I found two JR G500T ring gyro's in a stash given to me by a close friend who passed. The way I understand it, it is a Helio gyro. Can it be used on regular aircraft or only to hold a choppers rotor? I would like to use it on my DAWG. Chic
Old 02-17-2014, 04:21 PM
WARBIRDRCER

Chic, Years ago the only gyros I was aware of were helicopter gyros. We started off with the mech gyros, like the Futaba 153 ball bearing gyro I flew with, and following that were the Pizo gyros that are more in line with todays gyros. With all of that said, friends were putting those gyros in planes and beginning the hovering trends that led to the early years of 3D. I think the JR Gyros you have would work. Keep in mind though, some gyros are so fast you need a very fast servo to keep up with the gyro corrections.

By the way, the TBM is looking great!

Last edited by WARBIRDRCER; 02-17-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:43 PM
MX240

Fred 123 ...I think 3/8 from the Gyro would be about right. It not take much. But, I don't use "heading hold" thought. I know most of the jet/chopper guys use that. I have been afraid of it. Maybe if I knew more about it.

Redtail... your JR G500 Gyros should work fine for the rudder.
With all Gyros don't make them too sensitive or you will get a severe wag back and forth in fast flight.
Always best to have a switch to shut them off. I do this after takeoff and then back on for landings.
If you leave them on during flight you get "top rudder" in the turns. Some planes like Cubs don't like this. Low wing warbirds are ok with it.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:09 PM
WARBIRDRCER

MX240, Thanks for the input. I will put ours on a switch.