Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Byron Corsair Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Byron Corsair Build

Old 11-19-2019, 11:16 PM
Pittscrazy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful !
Old 11-27-2019, 09:55 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought the corsair featured in his thread....still havent flown her yet bcause of a move to the west coast. One day soon I hope
Old 02-11-2020, 11:02 AM
GIJon
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is good to see this thread is still fairly active after all this time.
I have committed to buy a Byron Corsair from a gentleman. Everything is included, but needs a minor overhaul.
For any of you Byron Corsair gurus out there...I have a question. This Corsair was built without flaps as they can be a handful for some in the building process. My question is how much of a major operation would it be at this point to cut away the flaps and make them functional.
I know these birds will land fine without them, but it would look and function better. It is also better for resale if that day comes along.
Thanks for any assistance or advice.
BTW...I could also use a copy of the manual, plans, etc.

Last edited by GIJon; 02-11-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:43 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Default Wing Spars not symetrical

Hi all, I've had this never been built Byron Corsair for several years now, it came with Robert 150s which I have sunk a few bu$k into (upgrades). I bought all for $700. At one point I had a Saito twin I was going to use, then kinda gave up on the project and put it all for sale. The Saito sold, but I could not sell the rest, even when I offered it for less than $500 (for ALL). Now I've decided to build it, I'm spending the winter at home in Michigan for the first time I retired due to coronavirus, so plenty of time to build. I will be building it with electric power, and have already converted the 150s to electric powered so I won't have to deal with air systems.
ANYWAY, I decided to replace some of the wood parts, including the wing spars, so purchased the plywood and traced over it with originals, screwing them in place so they wouldn't shift. After tracing the outlines, I flipped them over to check for symmetry: low and behold, there IS a lack of symmetry, on the front spar more than the rear, but nonetheless both. I've decided to cut them oversize, trial fit and trim as necessary.

Last edited by CorsairJock; 01-08-2021 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:01 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GIJon
It is good to see this thread is still fairly active after all this time.
I have committed to buy a Byron Corsair from a gentleman. Everything is included, but needs a minor overhaul.
For any of you Byron Corsair gurus out there...I have a question. This Corsair was built without flaps as they can be a handful for some in the building process. My question is how much of a major operation would it be at this point to cut away the flaps and make them functional.
I know these birds will land fine without them, but it would look and function better. It is also better for resale if that day comes along.
Thanks for any assistance or advice.
BTW...I could also use a copy of the manual, plans, etc.
You can cut away the flaps and make them functional as we do when we build the Corsair.
I do have digital copies of the manuals and drawings provided with the kit.

Scott

Here's my 1st Byron's Corsair in 2007 with the flaps down.
The following users liked this post:
CorsairJock (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 08:15 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Originally Posted by Fly2XS
You can cut away the flaps and make them functional as we do when we build the Corsair.
I do have digital copies of the manuals and drawings provided with the kit.

Scott

Here's my 1st Byron's Corsair in 2007 with the flaps down.
I intend to go all out: mine came with sliding canopy kit, also want to add scale tailwheel retract (NOT the one shown in plans), all gear doors, and folding wings. If you have flap info/ documents, I would appreciate having them sent to me or shared here.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:53 AM
GIJon

Here are some photos of my Byron Corsair that I picked up. It was built without flaps. However, the original builder did a nice job with the build. The retracts with retractable tail wheel work flawlessly. It came with the original Purr Power mount, 4.2 Sachs and the Byron prop hub. I have since remounted the engine and made a new prop hub to use a standard prop. It is now ready for test running of the engine. However at 35 degrees, I'm not willing to play outside at the moment.
This would not have been my first choice of a paint scheme, but I'm not changing it at the moment. Most warbird guys won't like it. It should look good in the air anyway.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:22 AM
GIJon

I have just test run the engine. This 4.2 is a beautiful beast. It runs great. Smooth idle, transition, and powerful. All of the retracts and servos work fine as they should.
I have determined that I need to downsize and reduce my inventory of aircraft.
I will consider selling it for a reasonable offer.
It was not built with flaps, but that could be taken care of if you plan to repaint it. It comes with the original Byron prop and hub. Currently it has the standard prop hub and the single bolt adapter. It also has a full completed cockpit kit and sliding canopy. Overall it is a nicely built plane.
If you wish to make an offer, please keep a few things in mind.
1. Just he engine and retracts are it great condition and worth a fair price.
2. I prefer not to ship, but will deliver or meet at a reasonable distance.
Also willing to deliver to Atlanta Hobby Swap this month or Dayton Swap in April.

Last edited by GIJon; 02-08-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:08 AM
HGV
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just picked up a Corsair and struggling with what motor to use. For sure not this glow version.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:34 AM
mmontella
My Feedback: (36)

Agree not the best motor for the plane. I used a DA-85 for my build and it was an excellent choice for the plane. Still needed a little nose weight (8 oz) but not too much compared to other builds that I have seen.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:37 AM
HGV

Thanks for the response. Any pics of the DA85 mounted? Would really like to use the Saito FG 90 R3 but that thing must be made out of gold.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:39 AM
mmontella

Looks like it is already cut for flaps which is good as they are very effective for landing. I see that it still has the original plastic wheels. Mine did as well and failed on the first flight. I would highly recommend using aftermarket aluminum wheels.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:49 AM
mmontella

I will look to see what I have. Some finished plane pics on post #778.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:50 AM
HGV

aftermarket wheels ... vendor ?
Old 01-14-2022, 10:35 AM
speedaholic
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a EME60cc twin in my Corsair, For wheels I went with Sierra Giant Scale. You can get some from Robart also but they were Backordered.
The following users liked this post:
GIJon (01-14-2022)