Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

1/8 scale functional Hamilton Standard hub for RCV SP engines.

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1/8 scale functional Hamilton Standard hub for RCV SP engines.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/8 scale functional Hamilton Standard hub for RCV SP engines.

I'm with you Klaatu,

As someone who has worked in shops doing the overhaul and repair of full scale aircraft propellers, I am a bit hesitant to go near this type of prop until some further testing and proving has been done.

The idea of a blade departing the hub and the possibility for injury sends a chill up my spine.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Michael211
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Josh, that's awesome! Put me on your list of very interested parties please! I'm working on a 60 sized Mustang right now (with my 1st RCV 90SP engine), but I also intend to do a H9 Corsair later this summer with another RCV 90SP. I just got my 1st test run on this SP engine today and it was fanatastic! 8-)

When you have a firm estimate of the cost please let me know. The hub looks really great!

- Michael
Old 01-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Juice

77chickenhawk...

Designing new props is a much harder project, I think, than making prop hubs. There are so many variables to the design of a prop. Just to mention a few, there's blade width, airfoil, and pitch. And all three of those may change down the length of the prop. It's a trial and error process that is time consuming and expensive.

And if someone were to make a big 19" prop and put it on a 12C VarioPROP hub that was designed for a maximum 13.9" prop (for a gas/glow engine), they're asking for trouble.

All that being said, I think a 4-blade 12C VarioPROP hub with 13.9" props would work nice for my little P-51 Mustang powered by my RCV-60SP.

Klaatu...

I just looked up what MTBF means... "Mean Time Between Failures".

I wonder also. I've only read about one Soloprop failure a couple years ago when they were new. I haven't read about any other Soloprop failures since.

Juice
Old 01-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Juice

Welcome to the thread Michael.

The hub I'm making is a 3-blade hub which will not look right on a Mustang. A 4-blade hub cannot get any smaller than the original Soloprop 4-blade hub, so there's no need for a re-design. So get the 4-blade hub directly from Soloprop and it should fit nicely under a big 4" spinner.

The H9 Corsair with an RCV 90SP is the combo I have, and it is the inspiration for this hub project.

Josh
Old 02-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Juice

Second quote:

CNC shop B:
"Over $1000" [for one].

Again... too much.

I've exhausted all the leads given to me by others in the RC hobby. Next step is to start cold-calling local CNC shops.

Josh
Old 02-07-2008, 01:17 PM
bla bla

Not wanting to sound like a party pooper but isn't it all a bit much for a .60 AFT sports semi scale model?
By the time you've had another hub machined privately or made by Solo, it'll have cost you 10x the cost of the original model.
Even then, nobody will really notice because its a small hobby plane. That'll perform even worse than just having a normal 2 blade prop unfortunately.

Why not save all you money and energy and channel it into building a real decent large real scale model where the whole issue´isn't an issue if you get may drift.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:42 PM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Juice,

I sent you a PM, my brother-in-law owns a Tool and Die shop! He said he would talk to you!
Old 02-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: bla bla

Not wanting to sound like a party pooper but isn't it all a bit much for a .60 AFT sports semi scale model? No
By the time you've had another hub machined privately or made by Solo, it'll have cost you 10x the cost of the original model. 10 times, I don't think so.
Even then, nobody will really notice because its a small hobby plane. Do people at your field have bad eyes?
That'll perform even worse than just having a normal 2 blade prop unfortunately. An RCV engine will swing that prop with no problem.

Why not save all you money and energy and channel it into building a real decent large real scale model where the whole issue´isn't an issue if you get may drift. Not really.
I can answer these because I have the same set up.
And after all, what difference does it make if he wants to put a high dollar spinner on his plane?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Juice

bla bla...

Thank you for your opinion. You're not the first person I've talked to that made those kind of comments on RCU and at my club. Believe me, I understand what you are saying and I don't take offence to it.

This hobby is full of useless over-kill... .40 size airplanes with huge over-powered engines... .25 size combat planes with mini retractable landing gear... Adding flaps on an airplane that already floats in on landing... I can go on and on. This project is just another example.

I actually can afford to blow $1G to get one made, but I'm not crazy. In my moments of weakness and stupidity, I've blown more money on other things not as cool and not RC-related (but that's not the point, and I'm not proud of that).

The point is... You should always strive to do whatever you do better. Not just in RC, but in everything in life. For you, if better means bigger, then go bigger. For me, my little condo and my little car won't fit bigger airplanes. For me, better means "put on an engine that can turn a big prop", or "put functioning oleo struts on the landing gear", or... "build a 3-bladed hub with ground-adjustable pitch". Now if that ain't cool, what is?! This is how I choose to channel my energy.

If a miracle happens and someone is willing to make the hub for $100 each, then YAY for us. Otherwise, there's actually nothing lost.

Josh

Old 02-07-2008, 04:02 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:03 PM
David010567
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Juice,

I don't normally post my opinions but reading your last post made me think. Don't get me wrong... I think your nuts But hey... I love BF-109's and my buddies come over and say I have way too many. I think I could keep building 109's for the rest of my life and never run out of schemes or models (E-F-G & K's).

When it gets right down to it... You gotta do what you love and what your passions are. If big 3 or 4 bladed props on your .60 size plane is what your passion is... You have my admiration.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Juice

Don't get me wrong... I think your nuts
I actually take that as a compliment.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:08 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: David010567

Hey Juice,

I don't normally post my opinions but reading your last post made me think. Don't get me wrong... I think your nuts But hey... I love BF-109's and my buddies come over and say I have way too many. I think I could keep building 109's for the rest of my life and never run out of schemes or models (E-F-G & K's).
We have a lot in common in the r/c world. My favorite plane is the ME-109 as well. I have several of them and plan on more in the future.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Whistling Death

I think we are all nuts. Well, I know we are [&:]but it's ok. I have an E-Flite Taylorcraft and I was thinking of putting a 5 bladed ceiling fan on front and doing low highspeed passes towing a pinata so guys could take a swat at it as it passed by.
Not to mention a pair of those chrome balls hanging from the back of my H-9 P-47. Ok thats enough, back to the project...........
Old 02-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Juice

Good news...

CNC Shop C:
Qty 1 - $540
Qty 5 - $236/ea
Qty 10 - $196/ea
(Keep in mind that the 3-blade hub from Soloprop is $205)

These prices are for the CNC-machined rear and front hub halves. There is actually one more piece (the actuator) that I should be able to get manual-machined for a bottle of Rye (maybe a couple bottles if he makes 5 or 10 for us). I like these numbers. The gentleman at this shop gave me LOTS of tips to help reduce the cost.

Let's see a show of hands...
A) Who would buy one of these for $236? Upfront cost for me is $1180 and I have to sell 4. I can handle this.
B) Who would buy one of these for $196? Upfront cost for me is $1960 and I have to sell 9. This is a little too much for me.
C) Who wants me to keep trying to get a lower quote?

I'm actually waiting for quotes from a few more shops, so this is not a final vote. I'm just trying to get a feel for "real interest" at this price level.

Josh

Josh
Old 02-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Juice

By the way...

I vote for A and C.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:30 AM
77chickenhawk

I bet i could get 2 or 3 orders in...im pretty sure i have a coupl friends that would bite. so me and maybe 2 others..
Old 02-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Whistling Death

I am going to gas because the glow fuel is killing my sinuses.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Josh,

GREAT THREAD

If the cost is 236$ or under I'd buy one. The cool factor with the RCV and the 3 blade prop sells me.

Pete
Old 02-12-2008, 05:23 PM
77chickenhawk

Josh.. just to confirm,? i wont be useing it on a rcv so what will the hole dia. be?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Juice

77chickenhawk,

The hole diameter will be 5/16" (diameter of RCV prop shaft). There is an actuator inside that will be threaded with 5/16" UNF (threads on the RCV SP prop shaft).

What engine will you be using? What is the diameter and the thread on it's prop shaft? I'm sure we can adapt.

Josh
Old 02-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Juice

I wrapped up talks with two more CNC shops (the last two). Long story short, they basically said they can't do it in our price range.

So it looks like we're going with Shop C. That's $236 if we order 5 units, or $196 if we order 10 units.

Going back through the thread, I see 8 people (including myself) who are interested. I'll send each of you a PM to find out if you you are still in or out. The result of this will determine if we are going to pay $236 or $196 for each hub.

By the way... expect to spend another $100 on accessories (not supplied by me) to complete the prop. Here are the details:

1) 16" Solo Prop Round tip Blades, $23 x 3 = $69
2) Extension Nut (also from Soloprops), $11.45
3) TruTurn 1-1/4" B-Style Prop Hub, $19.95
4) You'll need a torque wrench, if you don't have one already. I had to buy one... but I don't include that in the total price for the prop because they're good to have for "other" stuff .

Expect a PM from me later tonight.

Thanks for your interest,
Josh
Old 02-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Juice

I wrapped up talks with two more CNC shops (the last two). Long story short, they basically said they can't do it in our price range.

So it looks like we're going with Shop C. That's $236 if we order 5 units, or $196 if we order 10 units.

Going back through the thread, I see 8 people (including myself) who are interested. I'll send each of you a PM to find out if you you are still in or out. The result of this will determine if we are going to pay $236 or $196 for each hub.

By the way... expect to spend another $100 on accessories (not supplied by me) to complete the prop. Here are the details:

1) 16" Solo Prop Round tip Blades, $23 x 3 = $69
2) Extension Nut (also from Soloprops), $11.45
3) TruTurn 1-1/4" B-Style Prop Hub, $19.95
4) You'll need a torque wrench, if you don't have one already. I had to buy one... but I don't include that in the total price for the prop because they're good to have for "other" stuff .

Expect a PM from me later tonight.

Thanks for your interest,
Josh

Great work on this project. I'm in

Pete
Old 02-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Juice

Before I submit the final design files to the CNC shop, I am going to convert all my AutoCAD files to SolidWorks (learning SolidWorks and double-checking dimensions in the process). SolidWorks is a much better design tool for this type of project.

It's pretty cool too. It allows you to easily create animations of the design. Here's my first try at it...
[link=http://rcuvideos.com/item/WW5RL7D1XN0D98PF]hub_assembly.avi[/link]

Josh
Old 02-29-2008, 02:58 PM
voyager_663rd

Hi Josh

I know on RCV website they advise if you are going to use wood prop, they be good quality, heavy props.

Have you contacted RCV about the suitability of solo props for this project?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.