Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

VQ Me 109 E Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

VQ Me 109 E Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Luxuswaffe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VQ Me 109 E Build Thread

I have decided to put up a new build thread since there is no such on the VQ Me 109 Emil.

Box came nicely packaged. I have never seen a plane before wrapped in so much tape and paper. The manual is a folded single sheet in the dimension 60 cm (23 inch) x 64 cm (25 inch).

Painting is of good craftmanship although I can't find any matching colors similiar to the one used. Must be the violett and brownish. I don't have an engine yet but I am thinking of sticking a .61 2-stroke in the nose.

I have ordered an MVVS .61 ABC from Peter Reivers in the Netherlands but Pe is somewhat uncommunicative. Haven't seen my engine yet. I shall keep the forum posted on the outcome of this purchase.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55028.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	854728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56665.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	854729  
Old 01-19-2008, 01:23 AM
KentuckyColonel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: VQ Me 109 E Build Thread

I have a Thunder Tiger Pro .46 in mine with a 10X7 2 bladed prop and she has good power with it, so I would guess a .61 would be good. The added wieght will come in handy, as I need to put an ounce or so of lead in the nose. She flew okay as is, but I think just a tad more nose wieght should dial her right in. Do not worry about those who say she glides like a rock. I had to dead stick on my maiden and I watched her glide right past me, beyond the end of the runway and off for another 70-80 yards before she decided to touchdown! She looks great both in the air and on the ground! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

Name:	Lj21835.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	854755  
Old 01-19-2008, 11:35 AM
skrez
My Feedback: (15)

Hi Guys,
I`m building the 109 with a Saito 82 for the power plant. I can`t beleive the fine detail and quailty of this kit. One word of warning , If you use CA and get some drips on the the covering do not attemp to use CA de-bonder because it will take the color out of the covering. I found that out the hard way,I had to put a patch on top of the main wing because of that . It`s not too noticable with the camo scheem though.
Regards,
Frank
Old 01-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Looks like VQ must have gotten better. Between my P-39 and MiG-3, the build quality on the kits was horrbile and the total lack of customer support from VQ Models was the final nail in the coffin.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:01 PM
KentuckyColonel

Took mine up four times this morning before the rain came. First chance since our field was closed for hillside re-seeding efforts after our fires. I had a small issue with the engine on three of the flights, and was forced to dead stick. Good news is, that after the first dead stick I had that ended in smashed wingtips, what seems like months ago, I learned that this bird glides great. No issues at all on any of the landings, powered or dead stick. This plane is a keeper! I look forward to the day I get the engine dialed in right! I need to increase the aileron throws a bit, but other than that, WOW!
Old 01-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Luxuswaffe

Colonel what is your xperience with the retracts? They don't look too sturdy to me. Is there a serious substitute?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Luxuswaffe

In a first step I reinforced the firewall with Epoxy. The fuselage has plenty of holes and openings. The extra strength will be needed to avoid the separation between engine and wall.

Second step, I finished the wood surfaces of the firewall with clear acrylic coating to avoid the wood of soaking in with fuel.

Third step is the mounting of the 2 aileron servos. The wing halves come with pre installed metal hinges. The drawing will not tell you to lead the servo wires through the wing before glueing the wing halves together.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
cheese_puddin

The drawing will not tell you to lead the servo wires through the wing before glueing the wing halves together.
I noticed this too. The instructions are missing some steps so when you're building make sure you're looking ahead and not, pardon the phrase, "screwing" yourself in the building process.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:49 PM
KentuckyColonel

ORIGINAL: Luxuswaffe

Colonel what is your xperience with the retracts? They don't look too sturdy to me. Is there a serious substitute?
Mine did not come with retracts. Bought it at Hobby People, so mine has fixed gear.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Luxuswaffe

Got adjustible Du-Bro Control Horns (912) today as a substitute for the cheap plastic horns that came in the box. I have good experience with the control horns. They need only one hole and the they are very sturdy and easy adjustible.

Also, I am going to fit the cowl with a Du-Bro Kwik-Fill fueling valve for fast and easy refueling after 109's mission. I'll provide more pictures after installation. Work keeps me from doing more on my plane.

I also will fit the 109 with the fixed gear. I just want to go flying without the hassles of Chinese made retracts. I am thinking of fitting her with the LADO electrical gear but $150 per piece keeps me from doing it.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

How about some SPRING AIR gear....
We are suppose to get some newer design gear in soon.. They will be more substantial...
But for the most part the stock blue mechanical retracts have worked for myself and loads of my personal customers!!!
Don't be afraid of them... Using a .70 size 4 stroke or .46 size 2 stroke or similar you will not need to use "HEAVY RETRACTS"

THANKS for posting your progress....

-TOMAS
VQ DEALER
www.vqwarbirds.com
Old 01-24-2008, 05:34 PM
KentuckyColonel

A few of the guys I fly with have VQ P-51's with the stock retracts. The retracts have held up just fine. The wings have had some issues, but the retracts, they seem just fine. My Bf 109 has had no issues at all with the wing design, nor the stock fixed gear. I really like this plane. Now, if VQ would come out with a larger Bf 109......Life would be good!
Old 01-25-2008, 01:26 PM
KentuckyColonel

Also, I am going to fit the cowl with a Du-Bro Kwik-Fill fueling valve for fast and easy refueling after 109's mission. I'll provide more pictures after installation. Work keeps me from doing more on my plane.

I used this fueling valve myself. I located it behind the hole I needed to cut into the cowl for the engine in order to keep the other side clean. When she goes by left to right with the left side facing me she sure looks good! Only see a little of the exhaust diverter sticking down. I might add a cover to the fueling valve on future projects in which I can fit the whole engine in the cowl.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:41 PM
da50ex

I've had the P51B for almost a year now with only a few problems. The retracts work well except the struts are very sloppy internally. I'm always amazed that they don't collapse, but they don't. The tail wheel kept breaking off so I finally just left it off and glued a skid plate on. It works great. I have a Saito 82 and it screams. Very nice huge loops and low passes. The gear will occasionally need to be removed and bent forward as i tend to come in fast and do a lot of wheel landings. I've been thinking of getting this too as i have a spare 82 as well.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Luxuswaffe

Fitted the ailerons with Du-Bro metal horns type 912 today. At first sight, the ailerons feel a little flimsy because hollow inside. But eventually they will do hold the forces.

Also, I fitted the rods with z-bends for durability.

Name:	Sq47237.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	863118  
Old 01-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Luxuswaffe

Retracts: I eventually opted for the retractable gear but some modifications had to be overcome.

The rod angle as of the book is simply not applicable. They will bind as shown unless some modifications haven't been done:

Removed some of the balsa sheeting as shown in the picture for adjustment of the pushrods.
Disregarded the clevises, used z-bends instead for a narrower angle along the retract mechanism.
The rib openings had to be enlarged to allow the pushrod binding free movement.

I did not reseal the balsa sheeting with glue after the adjustment of the retract pushrods; just tape the sheet back on for reocurring adjustments on the retracts. Retracts tend to have problems over it's life span.

Name:	Pn36104.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	863138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19753.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	863139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29214.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	863140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39186.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	863141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju11855.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	863142  
Old 01-28-2008, 02:05 PM
KentuckyColonel

Retracts: I eventually opted for the retractable gear but some modifications had to be overcome.

The rod angle as of the book is simply not applicable. They will bind as shown unless some modifications haven't been done:

Removed some of the balsa sheeting as shown in the picture for adjustment of the pushrods.
Disregarded the clevises, used z-bends instead for a narrower angle along the retract mechanism.
The rib openings had to be enlarged to allow the pushrod binding free movement.

I did not reseal the balsa sheeting with glue after the adjustment of the retract pushrods; just tape the sheet back on for reocurring adjustments on the retracts. Retracts tend to have problems over it's life span.
Great description and photos of "how to"
Old 01-31-2008, 07:10 PM
Luxuswaffe

Mickey Mouse insignia of the 1st group, 3. Squadron/Fighter wing 77 (1. Gruppe, 3. Staffel/Jagdgeschwader 77)
some sources refer the insignia to the 3rd Training Squadron 2 (3./Lehr Geschwader 2).

According to different sources, fighter wing 77 took part in the invasion of Norway and was later placed to Romania to protect the oil fields against allied air attacks

Name:	Ge95837.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	866456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73351.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	866457  
Old 02-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Luxuswaffe

In respect of the weight on the landing gear I have decided to stick an O.S. .50 SX in the nose of the Me 109. With the right prop provided they turn over 16,000 rpm. The weight is just about the weight of the less powerful O.S. .46 AX. Since the O.S. .50 SX is not in production, I purchased an excellent used one right here on RCU.

The O.S. .50 SX doesn't like too big props. I will have to figure out the best combination of speed and thrust. Probably an 11x7 or 12x6 will do very well.

Distance from firewall to spinner backplate is 106 mm. I mounted the engine in a 45 degree angle. Exhaust is free to breeze out the residues. The hardware that comes in the box is most of the time usable. Some experience in ARF building provided , this bird goes together easy. The parts are in a good quality. Thanks to Tomas of vqwarbirds.com for his ongoing communication efforts. He is offering the kit with a .70 size 4-stroke that is hard to resist to buy at the offered price.

Wished I had more time and could fly this beauty tomorrow in our warm Florida sun!

Name:	Ax72771.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	872816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70837.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	872817  
Old 02-07-2008, 11:27 PM
KentuckyColonel

I had mine out both yesterday and today, here in the warm Southern California sun! Flew great. Had a bit of a scare yesterday though. While flying I (and everyone else at the field) heard a very loud "KABOOM". I had no idea what it was, so I immediately throttled back and brought her down. Turns out that the bolt plugs on the spinner back plate snapped off, and the spinner went flying. It's still out in the field somewhere. No damage to anything but the prop. The supplied spinner is not the highest of quality, so you might want to think about getting a different one. 3.25in isn't the easiest to find and I ended up getting a 3in DuBro as an interim spinner. Had to get white as the LHS didn't have yellow. Looks okay for now, but will try to find a more scale 3.25in one.
That being said, even with a slightly too small white spinner on her today, she flew like a bat outta hell! Thunder Tiger Pro .46 with a 10X7 prop and she screams. My Hanger 9 P-51 is feeling left out. I've had it out at the field and on the ground ever since I got the Bf 109 flying! Love that 109! If Tomas still has them, I think I'll get another cowl and throw a Pitts muffler on so I don't have that big cutout on the right side for the muffler.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Luxuswaffe

For weight distribution and space reasons, I placed the battery on top of the tank. Therefore I had to remove some of the enclosing wood sheeting. After fitting in the battery, I closed the opening with a matching sheet of plywood. Servos all in. Remark the mini servo for the throttle. Voltwatch in the cockpit and switch on opposite side of the muffler exhaust.

Ordered a new receiver at my LHS. Futaba needs >4 weeks to fulfill the demand on the FASST receiver delivery. OK. That will give me some time for the final steps: Cutting into the cowl for the motor and muffler openings, carving the canopy and plastic parts. And the tail.

Name:	Wu62074.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	874539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37179.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	874540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22143.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	874541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91928.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	874542  
Old 02-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Luxuswaffe

Tail and linkage installed. Follow the instructions. Not much to tell here. This ARF goes together quick and easy.

Name:	Pn35270.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	878037  
Old 02-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Luxuswaffe

Sprayed the canopy frame rather than having all the stickers on them.

Name:	Fd91186.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	878928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84321.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	878929  
Old 02-15-2008, 12:46 AM
KentuckyColonel

Sprayed the canopy frame rather than having all the stickers on them.
Good move. I used the stickers because I was in a hurry to get her up. I'd go with paint when I get another.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:51 PM
KentuckyColonel

Here is a link to a flight video of my Bf 109. [link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819155#post9161690[/link] No comments on the bounce at landing please....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.