Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft P-47 help...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Yellow Aircraft P-47 help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:41 PM
mowery1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Aircraft P-47 help...

I need some help with a Yellow Aircraft P-47 I just traded for...The guy who built the plane didn't allow any access to the routing in the styrofoam for the servo and airline leads....To prevent any damage to the top of my wing from trying to find the routing..Could someone who has one of these do some measuring and give me some numbers to locate the chases in the wing for the servo and airline leads......Second....Could you post some good pic's of the inner gear door assembly, air cylinder etc., Thirdly, Could you post some pic's of the retractable tail wheel and door assembly...I don't have a set of plans that shows any details of these items....Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 10:33 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Yellow Aircraft P-47 help...

mowery1,

I finished a Yellow P-47 a short time ago and I think I can be of help to you. Contact me at my home email address, [email protected], and I can send you pictures as attachments.

You should know that these plans are not typical of kit plans in that they don't have full-on images of the wings and fuselage as those parts are pretty much pre-built. Rather, they are images of assemblies with some helpful information. To be honest, I built most of my plane without even referring to them or the instructions. I think I can scan and send you the info from the instruction book in a manner you'll find useful.

While not really clear or useful, here's a shot of the inner gear door in the open position. It is actuated by an air cylinder (one per door) that is mounted vertically. I got the air cylinders from Yellow but there isn't any specific info, numerical value-wise, as to where they mount to either the wing or door.............just a general description and photo, the measuring and such is up to the builder but it's not hard. Oh, and a shot of the finished product...........the canopy wasn't permanently mounted at this time, though.

Al

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85576.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	855519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55396.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	855520  
Old 01-20-2008, 04:09 PM
mowery1

Thanks for the help...I was able to locate the chases in the foam for the servo and air line leads with some precise measuring...was actually easier than I thought it would be....Now just need some help with the pic's of the inner gear door install , the retractable tail wheel install along with the tail wheels gear doors and lastly DO I HAVE TO USE STABILIT TO GLUE ANYTHING INSIDE THE POLYESTER FUSE?????????????????
Old 01-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Rebel Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont use the Stablit glue. It holds good but hard to work with, and you can get better glue from Aerotech Models in Minneapolis, MN. Waine Seiwert sells a glue called Methacrylate by Plexus. It is a 50/50 blend that you use a caulk type gun to squeeze it through a mixing tip that can get to alot of tight places. I think it was developed for use on bones in the medical feild. It's description states it is used as a structural adhesivesuitable for bonding plastics, composites, metals and dissimilar materials to each other. It is strong as hell and nice to work with.
It is perfect for use on formers to fiberglass or carbon fiber. Simply tack glue in place with CA and use Methacrylate to finish it off. No need to use fiberglass cloth to reinforce it any more. It is thick and makes good filets. Great for cowl mounts, hinges(Robart or similar type hinge), or repairs. Working time is short though. About 6 to 7 minutes to get hard. Fully dry in an hour or so. You can do a Yellow Jug (all the formers and firewall) in less than an hour. Perfect for gluing plywood ,or an aluminum servo mount right to the side of the fuse. Alot of us use it here in Minneapolis. Pirce is around $13.00 dollars for a tube of it. Does not include the caulk gun for it. You would need two tubes of it to do the Jug with alot left over. I hope this helps.

Rebel
Old 01-20-2008, 10:27 PM
mowery1

Rebel, If you read the ingredients for stabilit, I'm pretty sure that is the exact same thing only better..thanks so much!! I'll give Wayne a shout tomorrow... Rick
Old 01-23-2008, 12:39 PM
gjarossy
My Feedback: (-1)

Also, "Shoe Goop" from home Depot works absolutely fantastic. I am a safety/reliability nut when it comes to building and I used this glue (sparingly) for every single critical point during the building process of my Yellow P-47. When dry it is still somewhat plyable but it will NOT come loose from any vibration. Just try a test and glue a piece of wood toa spare piece of fiberglass. After letting it dry for a day you will not be able to pull the pieces apart. They will have to be cut apart. I have a friend who is in to large scale aerobatics ad he has NEVER had a problem with this glue. It is cheap and readily available. Just my opinion.....Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96749.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	858971