Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Will Kyosho's FW-190 hit the US?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Will Kyosho's FW-190 hit the US?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:38 PM
frisco2022
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will Kyosho's FW-190 hit the US?

Hey guys what do you think? I thought I would repaint some parts of the plane to make it my own and more scale looking. I am using an O.S. .61 2 stroke in it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98019.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1414365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28519.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1414366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20542.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1414367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75119.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1414368  
Old 04-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Phat Reliant

Nice job frisco, like the cowl very much [8D]
Old 12-21-2010, 05:14 PM
speedsterp
My Feedback: (1)

Not sure if anyone is on this thread anymore, but have a question regarding engine. I have a 109 with a 55AX and it is mounted upside down. I have noted that a few have mounted engines sideways and use the Bisson Pipes which looks really clean. Do the engines run better or about the same as upside down. I understand upside down is not always the best.

Also has anyone considered or installed the Eflite electric retracts. Seem pretty cool as they would eliminate the servo and push rods. The stock stuff was not the easies to get setup. Have had a few occassions where the wheel collapsed. All user error, but it is a fine line between working and not.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:27 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Speedsterp, there is no difference between inverted and side mounted engines that are used regularly. The problems start coming in when the engine runs become less regular, you loss the ear for that engine and don’t recognize a rich or lean run. Pretty soon its running poorly or quitting in the air.

The fw has the room to turn it then do it.

Joe
Old 12-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Phat Reliant

I'll go with what Paladin said on the engines.
The retracts that I have used are the stock ones and have worked great.

My 190's have had a couple different engines in them and lately back to a YS 110FZ, mention this only as a reference to the weight currently 7.18lbs / 3.26kg with the FZ and standard gear has held up nicely. I will look at electric, but still pretty pricey when you need support above 7-8lbs

This is my first of 2 Kyosho 190's, newly re-built after a crash

Name:	Ay76141.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1537190  
Old 12-22-2010, 02:18 PM
speedsterp

Thank you for the input. Will stick with stock retracts.

Does anyone know if there is anything special done to the motor mount when attaching to the fuse, or will it line up with existing holes. Any difference for offset from the firewall.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:47 PM
chistech

The firewall already has the proper thrust built in so you just need to rotate all the proper dimensions 90 degrees keeping the crankshaft on the center line of the fuse. You will have to drill new holes for the mount as the stock mount is made with short and long mounting legs. I do not believe the mount will line up. Maybe some one who has built with a side mounted engine can chime in. I would recommend changing the retract pushrods to 4-40 ones for more reliable operation. Make sure you use a retract servo arm with a 22mm spacing between the holes as this is the distance needed for proper lock to lock operation of the Kyosho mechanicals. Picture shows 22mm distance, sorry for the reflection.

Name:	Ay73877.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1537362  
Old 12-22-2010, 03:27 PM
speedsterp

ORIGINAL: chistech

The firewall already has the proper thrust built in so you just need to rotate all the proper dimensions 90 degrees keeping the crankshaft on the center line of the fuse. You will have to drill new holes for the mount as the stock mount is made with short and long mounting legs. I do not believe the mount will line up. Maybe some one who has built with a side mounted engine can chime in. I would recommend changing the retract pushrods to 4-40 ones for more reliable operation. Make sure you use a retract servo arm with a 22mm spacing between the holes as this is the distance needed for proper lock to lock operation of the Kyosho mechanicals. Picture shows 22mm distance, sorry for the reflection.
Not sure I understand "changing the retract pushrods to 4-40" The kit comes with the push rods correct. If I do not use the stock where do I get the 4-40? Is that a gauge and length of wire? Thanks for the note on the distance of 22mm.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:38 PM
speedsterp

I have asked around our field why there seems to be so few people flying the Kysoho Warbirds. Many times the reply as to the cost, which always puzzles me. I am really these cost around $175 and include retracts. Most other warbirds are in the $250 range. I am about the only person I know of that has a Kysosho Warbird. I have crashed my 109 a few times, but I am a beginner pilot. Flew a Parkzone T-28 then corsair and now the Kyosho products. I have a tough time on the take offs, landings seem fine. These birds are pretty tough based upon my experience. Hit a log, a fence and have been able to repair. Need to get some lessons on take off, any pointers. Hate to crash the 190. I am determined to fly warbirds, so I will keep going at it until I learn. I did by a World Models T-34 to learn to fly better, but that was to easy to take off and land, did not help me with adapting to tail dragger warbird. I did also buy the World Models tail dragger Sky Raider II or something.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:12 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they will always require right rudder. no expo. anticipate it. after airborne slowly let off.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:19 PM
417mack

I am a beginner also but am flying a kyosho spitfire 50. Be ready with the rudder and advance the throttel slowley do not punch it and my spit will track straight and lift off in less than 50 feet if the wheels are straight. I moved the cg forward to 95 mm from the leading edge which helped. some expo on the ele and some ele mix with the flaps to keep the nose down made landing much smoother.  This may or may not be useful but helped me it is on the kyosho spit 50 thread that I found this advice.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:02 AM
chistech

It seems as the average age of the RC pilot goes up and their eye sight gets a little poorer they move to larger size aircraft. Most of the older pilots cut their teeth on 40 size planes and years ago most didn't fly that well. The norm has always been 60 size and up birds. 15 years ago give or take Kyosho came out with some of the best made ARF warbirds in production. There was three models with fiberglass fuses and either balsa or foam core wings. Wing tips and rudders were reinforced with ply cores and the fuses had panel lines. The Corsair, Texan, and Zero were awesome fliers but the ARF cost $300 and people refused to pay that much money for a 40 size ARF with the perception of more 40 size poor fliers. If you look at their construction it was way ahead of even todays standards. Although the finishes weren't flat like today's ARFs the fiberglass was better, the outlines were extremely scale and they really flew nice. Instruction manuals were even better than most now. What most of the older pilots haven't realized is the new line of Kyosho warbirds not only look good they fly really good and much better than the old heavier 40 size warbirds they flew years ago. It's much cheaper to own and fly the Kyosho warbirds over the larger H9, ESM, etc.
On the 4-40 pushrods. The pushrod does come already installed on the Kyosho retracts but it is a light gauge (2-56) and will flex and sometimes cause problems. You can purchase 4-40 pushrods from the LHS and bend them like the stock ones. You will also need quick links to thread on one end and 4-40 EZ connectors to attach the other end to the servo arm. EZ connectors are what you see in the picture on my last post. Here is a link to a mechanical retract thread I did. It will help you make the changes I described.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015996
Old 12-23-2010, 11:07 AM
speedsterp

ORIGINAL: chistech

It seems as the average age of the RC pilot goes up and their eye sight gets a little poorer they move to larger size aircraft. Most of the older pilots cut their teeth on 40 size planes and years ago most didn't fly that well. The norm has always been 60 size and up birds. 15 years ago give or take Kyosho came out with some of the best made ARF warbirds in production. There was three models with fiberglass fuses and either balsa or foam core wings. Wing tips and rudders were reinforced with ply cores and the fuses had panel lines. The Corsair, Texan, and Zero were awesome fliers but the ARF cost $300 and people refused to pay that much money for a 40 size ARF with the perception of more 40 size poor fliers. If you look at their construction it was way ahead of even todays standards. Although the finishes weren't flat like today's ARFs the fiberglass was better, the outlines were extremely scale and they really flew nice. Instruction manuals were even better than most now. What most of the older pilots haven't realized is the new line of Kyosho warbirds not only look good they fly really good and much better than the old heavier 40 size warbirds they flew years ago. It's much cheaper to own and fly the Kyosho warbirds over the larger H9, ESM, etc.
On the 4-40 pushrods. The pushrod does come already installed on the Kyosho retracts but it is a light gauge (2-56) and will flex and sometimes cause problems. You can purchase 4-40 pushrods from the LHS and bend them like the stock ones. You will also need quick links to thread on one end and 4-40 EZ connectors to attach the other end to the servo arm. EZ connectors are what you see in the picture on my last post. Here is a link to a mechanical retract thread I did. It will help you make the changes I described.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015996

Thank you for the history that makes sense. Also thank you for the link I will read it over and consider making the changes.