Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Best retracts for Top Flite Giant P-51

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Best retracts for Top Flite Giant P-51

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 05:00 AM
nacho
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best retracts for Top Flite Giant P-51

Robart or Century Jet? Which is the best, most reliable of and less headache of the two? Opinion from people that have had them are appreciated.

Ignacio
Old 04-16-2003, 11:13 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Retracts

I have the Robart retracts in my Giant TF mustang and they work pretty well, with one exception. I have had the plastic gear block break twice. Not sure why, my landing was pretty gentle. I think its a molding issue and lack of material at a critical stress point. At any rate, Sierra makes an aluminum replacement block if you want/need it.
I had the first set of Century gear designed for the Giant Mustang but didnt use them because I would have had to retro fit them into the wing by cutting the leading edge and some other mods. It wasn't a big deal but I ended up trading the Century gear for Robart gear and kept the stock wing set up. I suppose they would have worked ok I just never have used them.. Regards BobH.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:25 PM
nacho

Bob, thank you for taking the time to reply. That is good info. Anybody have any experience with Century Jet retracts for the big Mustang?

Ignacio
Old 04-17-2003, 06:37 AM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

sierra precision are the best gear. http://www.sierraprecision.com/
Old 04-17-2003, 08:22 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Giant scale Mustang gear

You might consider the Springair 403 retracts used in conjunction with the Robart scale struts. We have a gentleman at our field flying the Topflight 1/5 scale P-47 using the Robart retracts and he has been having difficulties with the gear blocks breaking as well and he is an accomplished RC War bird pilot who "knows" how to land slow utilizing partial flaps and still the Robart retract design has been a source of problemsfor him- Go with the Springair 403's with scale struts of your choice and I know you will experience rigidity and reliability!

Fast Richard
Old 04-17-2003, 09:04 PM
nacho

Thanks again for more input, I didn't realize Spring Air made gear that big. I will look into it.

Ignacio
Old 04-18-2003, 12:10 AM
ramcfarland

Default Your Mustang retracts

yes they certainly are I have the 103hds in my 1/7 P-47 and they are super reliable one reason being in case you were not aware is by design the Springair have an internal spring which actuates the "down"cycle and then air necessitating just one line for the retracted position. So essentially the 403s are simply larger and the reputation for service and reliability is excellent. And by design the possibility of air leakage is minimal and I can attest to several seasons with -O- failures. So the decision to order the 403s for my current project a 1/5 scale P-47 was an easy decision.

Fast Richard
Old 04-18-2003, 01:30 AM
warbirdz1

Default P-51....

Ignacio....I have the robarts in my TF Giant P-51 and I literally abuse my gear...with all the touch/go's...grass fields...short runways...you name it...they get hammered....the main thing I did was beef up the area around the gear....ply rib doublers on both sides..doublers for the L/E and for the shear webs aft of the gear....had an engine failure on a go-around( no time to retract gear) and bent the struts 70* but the mounts didn't budge....all I had to do was order the upper strut for both sides....they've hung in there for 80+ flts....Bill....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	71573_12465.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	43052  
Old 04-18-2003, 02:20 AM
nacho

Thanks for the input Bill, I'm glad your gear help up OK. I was wondering how does the big P-51 fly and land?
Old 04-18-2003, 01:32 PM
BobH

Default Giant P-52

Nacho, and example of how well the P-51 flies... last year at Warbirds over Delaware I'm flying my '51. For some reason I have NO Aileron trim and the plane is trying to roll to the left. Somehow I managed to screw up the programming in my 9Z and put Null for the Aileron controll!!.. anyway... I fly several laps around and come in for a landing. All the while I'm keeping the plane level with just the sticks. I drop the gear and flaps and make a perfect landing. I think its more a credit to the plane than my piloting skills but point being that I could do it. You will really like flying the plane.. Just remember its not a 40 size plane that you can yank and bank all over the sky. It takes up a little more airspace and time for manuvers... hope this helps BobH.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:34 PM
BobH

Default Giant P-51

Nacho, and example of how well the P-51 flies... last year at Warbirds over Delaware I'm flying my '51. For some reason I have NO Aileron trim and the plane is trying to roll to the left. Somehow I managed to screw up the programming in my 9Z and put Null for the Aileron controll!!.. anyway... I fly several laps around and come in for a landing. All the while I'm keeping the plane level with just the sticks. I drop the gear and flaps and make a perfect landing. I think its more a credit to the plane than my piloting skills but point being that I could do it. You will really like flying the plane.. Just remember its not a 40 size plane that you can yank and bank all over the sky. It takes up a little more airspace and time for manuvers... hope this helps BobH.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:36 PM
nacho

That sounds great, it's quite a labor of love and very expensive just to build a rock with wings. It sounds like a plane I could handle. Our runway is 350 long, do you think that's enough?

Ignacio
Old 04-19-2003, 01:44 AM
warbirdz1

Default p-51......

Ignacio.....350 ft is plenty to get off....but for landing.....a day without any head wind you'd be on the edge.....speeds would have to be on the money and so would the landing....with a better than 10k headwind you should be in good shape..........Bill....
Old 04-19-2003, 03:27 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Do a short search on this forum for Century Jet, you will be probably be convinced not to use them.

Vince
Old 04-19-2003, 05:45 PM
ramcfarland

Default 1/5 scale P-51 retracts

I just picked up my Spring-air HD-403 retracts from my local hobby shop along with the Robart scale struts which fit perfectly. The best of both worlds: "reliable" Spring-air retracts and tough,shock absorbing and realistic Robart#673L&R 1/2 Dia. series 500 robostruts ---tail wheel??use the Spring-air firewall mount retract which is Avail. with pull/pull or push rod actuation.

Fast Richard
Old 04-19-2003, 06:47 PM
BobH

Default TF Mustang

Nacho, our runway is 450 feet long and its sometimes not long enough. We have to come down over trees which makes our decent a little steep. I you have an open runway on either end then you should aim for the first 25% and you would maybe be ok... Regards BobH.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:22 PM
nacho

Thanks Richard, our runway is on a the top of a hill so it is clear on all three sides, the only problem is that if you come in too low you can end up on the side of a mountain : ) It sounds like it would be OK. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me out.

Nacho