Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Vailley Tempest Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Vailley Tempest Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:59 PM
spitmad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vailley Tempest Build Thread

Hi Guys

I thought I start a build thread on the Vailley Tempest, I picked this model up partially complete a few months back, the wing was sheeted and glassed and the fuse framed.
I have since done further work on the wing including installation of inner gear doors, the control surfaces and undercarriage. The fuse was mostly framed up so I have since installed the DBalsa cockpit kit, a sliding mechanism, reinforced the fuselage crutch with carbon rod and commenced sheeting.

Span is 96"

Motivation will be via a 3W 80i, flying weight of around 44 lbs.

Whilst I won't be going the whole hog on scale detail it will have panel lines, rivets and should be a nicve performing flyer

Stay tuned for more progress shots

Alan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41767.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	869424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51051.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	869425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60248.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	869426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32168.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	869427  
Old 02-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Vailley Tempest Build Thread

WCDR Beaumont would be most pleased you are doing his aircraft scheme.

Will be watching this thread in earnest and hopefully get some good tips for when I do mine.

By the way you do realise what scheme I had picked out don't you?
Old 02-04-2008, 03:09 PM
spitmad

Pete

I thought you may have gone with the same colour scheme , well unless I plan to visit sunny Brisvegas for a fly in or you decide on a road trip down south never the twain shall meet

Which is probably a good thing as your scale detailing is beyond my ability and patience .

Just waiting on the HM inspector again before I can finish installing the cockpit and sheeting the fuse.

More shots soon

Alan
Old 02-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

G'day alan,
yeah Dave (ticketec) popped around last night for a yarn and to get some rare earth magnets off me, could not find the magnets but we did have a good yarn! Anyway I discussed the fact that we were both having same scheme but as you were in Mel and I'm up here in Brissy should not be a drama.

I have a really good book on the Tempest and there is a passage written by Beaumont where he describes doing a beat up of his airfield during the war, a screaming dive to over 550mph straight across the strip at very low level followed by a sharp pull up and wing over. He goes on to say theat you could keep all your Spitfires and Mustangs and to give him a Tempest anyday - what a plane!!

Detailing is not difficult, and I'm certainly not thatgood at it, I just fiddle about and try to find solutions to problems. Look at a picture and try to work out how to replicate it.

Being a little OCD also helps!! Just ask SWMBO! or SHN ! [:-]

BTW do you have any contacts for 3W donks?

cheers
Peter
Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Alan

your build looks great to this amateur[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif] anyway I like to follow along.

bob t
Old 02-04-2008, 09:50 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Hi pete

I thought I had OZ 101 but you lost me with swmbo (little bloke?) and shn (wife?)

And if detailing is so easy how about teching my fingers how its done.

Alan sorry about bugging your thraed

Bob t
Old 02-04-2008, 10:16 PM
neville thomas
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

she looks great keep the updates coming
i have the tempest 2 whuich will be done in june of 08
Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 PM
spitmad

Pete

I purchased the 3W 80 from Ernie (Model Design - Adelaide) two years or so with the 96" Spit.........he did a super meal deal for the kit and the donk (thru in the pitts muffler FOC and took 10% of the $$ for the engine) ..realising the Spit would be way over cooked with the 3W80 it turned out to be a perfect combo for the Tempest.
Ernie has the donk and muffler listed for around $1200 from memory

I found the DVD of the Tempest at war and it has some great footage, even a large scale model used for ditching trials in a huge tank.

Bob

a few more coloquialisms from the colonies down under

SHMBO (she who must be obeyed- the wife)
aka
'er in doors
the cheese and kisses (the Misses),
the trouble and strife (wife)
the leader of the opposition
the war office

Alan
Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: rt3232

Hi pete

I thought I had OZ 101 but you lost me with swmbo (little bloke?) and shn (wife?)

And if detailing is so easy how about teching my fingers how its done.

Alan sorry about bugging your thraed

Bob t

hehehe mate unless you are born here you will never have oz 101 down pat, fair dinkum you won't!

ok SWMBO = she who must be obeyed
SWN = she who nags

umm my fingers don't always go where I tell em either!! [:-]
Old 02-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: spitmad

Pete

I purchased the 3W 80 from Ernie (Model Design - Adelaide) two years or so with the 96" Spit.........he did a super meal deal for the kit and the donk (thru in the pitts muffler FOC and took 10% of the $$ for the engine) ..realising the Spit would be way over cooked with the 3W80 it turned out to be a perfect combo for the Tempest.
Ernie has the donk and muffler listed for around $1200 from memory

I found the DVD of the Tempest at war and it has some great footage, even a large scale model used for ditching trials in a huge tank.

Bob

a few more coloquialisms from the colonies down under

SHMBO (she who must be obeyed- the wife)
aka
'er in doors
the cheese and kisses (the Misses),
the trouble and strife (wife)
the leader of the opposition
the war office

Alan

man that spit would go vertical with that donk in it, it is really fast with a DA-50 up front if kept light which most of these turn out to be anyway.

here is another one for you bob wife = her indoors

billy lids = kids

ankle biters = kids

rubidty dub = pub = hotel = bar - place to get pissed and tells lots of lies , err tales with your mates
Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

think there is a new DA coming out of around the 80 size so may try to get one of those as I can get one at wholesale price.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:54 AM
BOLTMAN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Pete,

The DA 85 is available now, check out - http://shop.desertaircraft.com.au/catalogue/c9

I will be watching this Tempest build with envy. I have had a thing for the Mk V for about 25 years now. Built a Brian Taylor one in 1991.

I have some pretty good doco on the Pest if you guys need anything.

One of the locals is building a 100" span MkII that will be powered by a Saito 450 radial. It will be finished in the next few months. I am slated as test pilot, should be interesting.

Cheers

Mick
Old 02-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: BOLTMAN

Hi Pete,

The DA 85 is available now, check out - http://shop.desertaircraft.com.au/catalogue/c9

I will be watching this Tempest build with envy. I have had a thing for the Mk V for about 25 years now. Built a Brian Taylor one in 1991.

I have some pretty good doco on the Pest if you guys need anything.

One of the locals is building a 100" span MkII that will be powered by a Saito 450 radial. It will be finished in the next few months. I am slated as test pilot, should be interesting.

Cheers

Mick

DA 85
Price(dollars): $1,090.00AUD

DA 85cc Petrol r/c motor

The Desert Aircraft 85 is a reliable 85cc powerhouse suited to any 33% aerobatic aircraft or any other suitably sized application. The DA85 is manufactured in much the same way as the DA150 with each part custom made specificaly for this motor.

Features

Desert Aircraft, auto advance, electronic ignition
Exclusive Desert Aircraft designed cylinders, pistons, and crankshaft
Reed valve, rear induction
CNC milled, 7075 aluminium alloy crankcase
DA engines are designed using the latest tools and techniques, including 3D CAD and Stereo Lithography

that looks like the donk for this black duck.

Mate you should get a set of plans and build one too! I'm really champing at the bit to get into it. Corsair may get delayed yet!

thanks for the offer on the docos, what have you got? I've been building up my libary last few months so have quite a collection too.

Did you see the 90" Vailly Sea Fury I picked up just recently? Very nice and good price too.

anyway had better stop hijacking Alan's thread, not that he cares mind!

cheers
PEter
Old 02-05-2008, 08:54 PM
spitmad

Pete

The guys from Model Engines were testing a new Ultimate pipe at our field last week powered by the new DA 85 and it screamed so should be a good thing for the Tempest

Some more progress shots from last weekend's "balsa bashing" session

The engine installation with carby inside fuse, I had to modifiy the firewall to allow for the muffler, I was going to build an air box and then found that a old radiator hose of my 240Z fits perfectly over the carby velocity stack and will vent thru the top of the engine box.............brilliant !
I had to cut away the area for the innner gear doors and sheet the inside of the wheel wells (the previous owner was not going with the inner doors at all), I also installed the flaps and ailerons but need more work to get them flush with the wing surface.
Fuse almost completely sheeted apart for cock pit area, installing more carbon rod for rigidity and the sliding rails to be added. tail wheel installed and operational
Sheeted the fin and covered the rudder with Sig coverall for canvas appearence , Horizontal stab is sheeted and ready to glass before fitting to fuse, servos in stab with hidden linkages .
A shot of the whole catastrophy assembled and in the back yard........running out of space in the workshop[]

cheers

Alan

Name:	Ki19764.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	871061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30666.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	871062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40917.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	871063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81605.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	871064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju11814.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	871065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz38643.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	871066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wy49596.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	871067  
Old 02-05-2008, 10:19 PM
funfly-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Looking good, ill haveto keep an eye on this one.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:25 PM
spitmad

Not too close an eye I hope.........I have been known to bit a little sloppy with my building at times ................so be gentle with me

Hmmm........... maybe I go easy on the close ups
Al.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:29 AM
spitmad

Another shot of the engine installation, due to the rear carby configuration of the 3W carby sits right in the middle of the firewall when the spinning backing plate is set at 3mm off the end of the cowl..............so I thought If I sit the engine back a little further, the carby linkages are clear of the firewall and I spun up a 25mm prop shaft extension........ The other option was to build another firewall 25mm further forward which would involve major rework of the whole engine box[>:]
Setting the engine further back is not ideal as this moves the weight of the donk back an inch however it will provide for better cooling from the big chin duct.............if the beast needs a huge amount of lead to balance I may end up modifying the engine box and bringing the engine forward again

Alan

Name:	Zx72473.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	871288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58310.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	871289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92500.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	871290  
Old 02-06-2008, 04:27 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Not too close an eye I hope.........I have been known to bit a little sloppy with my building at times ................so be gentle with me

Hmmm........... maybe I go easy on the close ups
Al.

that is what focus control is for, been working on women's faces for years, make em blurry and they look 20 years old!!
Old 02-06-2008, 05:58 AM
BOLTMAN

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

DA 85
Price(dollars): $1,090.00AUD

DA 85cc Petrol r/c motor

The Desert Aircraft 85 is a reliable 85cc powerhouse suited to any 33% aerobatic aircraft or any other suitably sized application. The DA85 is manufactured in much the same way as the DA150 with each part custom made specificaly for this motor.

that looks like the donk for this black duck.

Mate you should get a set of plans and build one too! I'm really champing at the bit to get into it. Corsair may get delayed yet!

thanks for the offer on the docos, what have you got? I've been building up my libary last few months so have quite a collection too.

Did you see the 90" Vailly Sea Fury I picked up just recently? Very nice and good price too.

anyway had better stop hijacking Alan's thread, not that he cares mind!

cheers
PEter
Hi Pete,

I too like the look of the DA 85, I have had a Da 50 in an Extra that I have been really happy with. That motor is going to end up in my 1/5 P-51 when I get it built.

I think I will leave the Tempest as a project for later.

Today I picked up plans, cowl and canopy etc for a Meister 102" P-47. MAN!!! [X(] does that fuse have some volume!!! I am thinking DA 85 for that. I already have a new set of Peter Gows retracts to suit, will just need some new U/C legs.

Just need to finished the make over on the Hangar 9 P-47 ( glassing and detailing ) then finish building the Pica 1/5 scale P-51 and the 1/3 Scale Pitts that I already have, then onto the big Jug.

Will be in touch real soon re the 3/4 oz cloth.

Cheers

Mick.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:11 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Mick,

I have 2 of the DA-50s now, presents from SHN! [X(] Should not complain, not many guys get a present like that - most get a pair of scrungies if they are lucky.

That meister 47 sounds nice, wishing I built aa bigger one now, coapred to the Sea Fury it looks small.

When you get the oleos from Pete get the oil damped ones, more $$ but man are they effective!

Got my new shippment of glass on it's way at last, been haggling over that for nearly 3 months now. Teach me to let it run so low.

BTW when you get a chance can you copy those plans of the Pica P51 for Dave? He is hanging out to make a start on it. He is too poilite to nag you but I have no such qualms!!

Send him the bloody plans!!

cheers
Peter
Old 02-06-2008, 06:36 AM
BOLTMAN

P-51 plans, YES SIR!!!!!!!!!

Been watching Dave's FW 190 build, thought that was keeping him busy!

Must get on to getting the plans done, not easy finding somewhere to do them in a backwater like Hervey Bay, but I have been told of a place that should be able to do it.

I hope he is not too keen, he might get his done before me. I only started mine in 1998.[:@][]

Cheers

Mick
Old 02-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

LOL Mick!

He does get into them that is for sure, be nice to have that energy again

I have a few birds I got in 96,. still sitting in their boxes waiting for that "one day " to roll along.

I also have 0.5oz cloth coming too, very nice stuff, drapes like a pair of silk knickers. Great for foamies,, gliders etc.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:37 AM
bla bla

Another shot of the engine installation, due to the rear carby configuration of the 3W carby sits right in the middle of the firewall when the spinning backing plate is set at 3mm off the end of the cowl..............so I thought If I sit the engine back a little further, the carby linkages are clear of the firewall and I spun up a 25mm prop shaft extension........ The other option was to build another firewall 25mm further forward which would involve major rework of the whole engine box[>:]
Setting the engine further back is not ideal as this moves the weight of the donk back an inch however it will provide for better cooling from the big chin duct.............if the beast needs a huge amount of lead to balance I may end up modifying the engine box and bringing the engine forward again

Alan
Just build some engine stand-offs. 25mm is nothing, they're supplying stand-offs of 50mm... and over for many gassers.
Glue a couple of 0.5inch ply wood discs together, say 20mmm diameter. make 4 of them, drill a hole through and use them in between the back plate and the fire wall. Bobs yer uncle.

Strooth, sound good to me mate etc etc!

Great Model.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

"up in a dinkum leaving ..."

and we don't "go walkabout", only a small part of the population is so inclined.

In actual fact we say "Bob's yer auntie"

tubes" try stubbie my good fellow. Dear oh dear

me thinks your aussie grammer is not as good as you think.

what say you fellow aussies? Yay or nay or do we all concur like the good chaps we are!

must be all that cold weather and lack of sunshine up at the artic circle, they say lack of vitamin d does strange things hehe
Old 02-06-2008, 09:18 AM
bla bla

Ha... getting a stubbie... thats what happens to your tackel when you jump in freezing water! [X(]
Of course, to an Aussie Sheila, the typical frozen Viking stubbie would appear like a 5 liter jug compared to them found in warmer climates![sm=shades_smile.gif]

Whats this "Bobs yer Auntie" thing. Is this some opposition to the British "Bobs yer Uncle"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.