Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Rumor has it...All composite 101" MiG-3 on the way?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Rumor has it...All composite 101" MiG-3 on the way?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Rebel Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rumor has it...All composite 101" MiG-3 on the way?

Is it true? Is there a new all composite MiG-3 on the way? Does anyone have any information on this? Is it fact or fiction? I am chompin at the bit for this one.

Rebel
Old 02-12-2008, 12:45 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rumor has it...All composite 101" MiG-3 on the way?

More than likely.

Http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/Warbirds.htm

It won't be very scale so don't get your hopes up too high. Only two companies have done the MiG-3 justice, ImpScale and Romain Research (whom is now outta business).

If the MiG-3 looks like the P-40, I would avoid em. Looks like the same folks that painted VQ's initial cowls painted these and couldn't match colors very well.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:00 PM
smurfjet
My Feedback: (40)

I think the kit you are referring to is based off of the Roamin Research kit. They are "in the works" so to speak and have not been produced yet to my knowledge. If these kits make it to production and enter the market, they will be very nice scale outlines that one would expect of a high caliber model.

Here's a link to the manufactures website.

www.jetaces8rc.com/warbirds.htm

Dave
Old 02-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Evil_Merlin

I have a feeling the ones offered by Jet Aces and Troy Built will be the same thing.

If the model is based on the MiG-3 by R.R. I'm just going to give up modeling and find some other hobby to pick up. The Chinese are slowly ruining this hobby by taking any of the skill required out of it other than flying. It used to be if you want something not a P-51, P-47 or Spitty, you built it. Now with cheap labour, they can crank out anything quickly and cheaply. ANd while at it suck up all the balsa on the planet, raising the prices to the point you gotta buy an ARF because you can't afford the sheet and stick stock to build your own, not to mention if any of the kit manufactures are even going to be left by 2010 at the rate we are losing them now...
Old 02-13-2008, 06:19 AM
bla bla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Evil_Merlin

The Chinese are slowly ruining this hobby by taking any of the skill required out of it other than flying. It used to be if you want something not a P-51, P-47 or Spitty, you built it.
Ha, well.. lets just just hold on a second.
If it wasn't for the market (US being the biggest) for ARF warbirds, 99% nothing more than sports planes dressed as war birds, the Chinese wouldn't be building 'em!
Fact is and the evidence very clear right here in this very forum that most of you guys want them that way.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you and continually get in to problems with my comments towards those people here that spend a small fortune pimping a cheap ARF warbird with custom made scale mufflers, props, you name it. I mean... why struggle to put a scale prop on an unscale model[sm=bananahead.gif]something so strange in my book that I'll throw in another banana head [sm=bananahead.gif] just for good measure.
I believe they'ld be better off putting all that (very possitive, don't get me wrong) energy, time and money and building a real scale model.
Boy, do I get flamed.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

I have a feeling the ones offered by Jet Aces and Troy Built will be the same thing.

If the model is based on the MiG-3 by R.R. I'm just going to give up modeling and find some other hobby to pick up. The Chinese are slowly ruining this hobby by taking any of the skill required out of it other than flying. It used to be if you want something not a P-51, P-47 or Spitty, you built it. Now with cheap labour, they can crank out anything quickly and cheaply. ANd while at it suck up all the balsa on the planet, raising the prices to the point you gotta buy an ARF because you can't afford the sheet and stick stock to build your own, not to mention if any of the kit manufactures are even going to be left by 2010 at the rate we are losing them now...
If you see opportunity there, I know of at least one kit line that's for sale.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 02-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Evil_Merlin

I've been saying the same thing for years, but it gets people round these parts in a tizzy.

I complain about the lack of scaleness in a Fw 190, and everyone comes out of the woodwork claiming that it doesn't need to be scale, its not the scalness that counts, and every other excuse that can be found.

The point is a very good number of American's are lazy. No ifs ands or buts about it.

I work a 50+ hour a week job, spend most of the weekend flying full scale aircraft for the Civil Air Patrol, yet somehow still have time to build and fly my RC models.

I've seen what the cheap ARF folks have done to the hobby as a whole. I remember several local hobby places with dozens and dozens of kits on the shelves, now full of ARFs that require so little skill to build its kinda silly. I watch as people fly these ARFs where ever they can, claiming they can fly where they want and don't need to be members of the AMA to do so, then proceede to crash the plane, and luckily no one has been hurt. God help us all when they DO hurt someone, because it won't be just them suffering the opinions of the local, state and possibly feds, it will be all of us who have been under a lot of pressure since 9-11 anyways.

This may be sounding a lot like another b1tch session, thats probably because it is, the crap coming out marketed as "scale" ARF's is simply silly. But hey, as I said, people keep buying up the crap.

I completely agree, they buy a slab sided P-51 with nothing that looks like a P-51 should then drop money on a three bladed prop and don't even realize that the P-51 had a 4 bladed prop (unless they are building an A-36 or P-51A).

Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Evil_Merlin

Dave, do tell?

Not a lot of them left...
Old 02-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Dave, do tell?

Not a lot of them left...
(I'm sure you're responding to my comment about a line of kits being for sale.)

SkyShark stopped producing kits, and their correspondence mentions no kits "...unless someone picks up the kit line." I believe it could be bought.

SkyShark originally bought the old Heritage line, and updated the kits. When they stopped making kits, I was one that signed up for a last run of kits, and ordered some when they sent out the message. They didn't get enough orders to go ahead with the run, so that was that.

Go for it!
Dave Olson
Old 02-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Evil_Merlin

SkyShark is up to something else for their old product line...

Besides, with Skyshark trying to do a limited run of kits and not even getting enough purchases to do that, I don't see much of a point.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Guys, lets see some of these master pieces that you all build.

BTW not everybody wants to build. I'd rather not, but I can do it, and have done it and still doing it. IT'S A HOBBY!!!! have fun.

Last time I look the kit cutters where busy cutting kits for all the plans out there. ya'll will still have something to build, don't worry