Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

1/4 Scale F4U-1A Don Smith Plans Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1/4 Scale F4U-1A Don Smith Plans Build

Old 03-17-2008, 07:47 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1/4 Scale F4U-1A Don Smith Plans Build

You're not boring me. Where is RCSB? Dan
Old 03-17-2008, 08:19 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ware ever just keep posting, its just there a lot of great threads being posted to

Bob T
Old 03-17-2008, 09:18 PM
TakingFlight96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not boring to me. Having watched the build of your son's 1/8 scale, I can't wait to see the progress made on this one. Where ever you continue to post, I'll be watching the progress.

-- TakingFlight96
Old 03-17-2008, 09:31 PM
ReaperGrim

Barry,
Great job so far, I have been watching with interest to see how scale this plane is. I’m sure you won’t get much “scale†feedback at RCSB so I’ll add my thoughts about this design and some thoughts on your work here. My impression of the design from what I can see here is that I’m very disappointed in the scale outline of this plane, it doesn’t even come close to cutting it for me. This has nothing to do with your build, but just the design itself, to me it’s a big disappointment, I don’t need to measure.

The only criticism of what you have done so far would be the location of the tail wheel, and it is a nice one. The former in the full scale Corsair for the tail wheel was just behind the leading edge of the vertical fin, and it was mounted at the very bottom of that former so that when retracted the tail wheel and fork remained outside the aircraft. Your tail wheel is to far back and is mounted to low, it would be a shame to hide that thing so deep in the fuselage. I doctored one of your pictures and relocated the tail wheel to the correct location.

Keep up the good work, good luck at RCSB!

Luke
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37767.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	906315  
Old 03-17-2008, 09:34 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

for what its worth Barry, you are getting some of the best
information here from the best Corsair geek I know.

Luke knows Corsairs
Old 03-17-2008, 10:25 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear of your decision to discontinue your post to RCU. Anyway, appreciated the info you shared about your plane and the mods done. I will make the mod to the tw mount. Hopefully I can find the RCSB link so that I may continue to follow your progress.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:05 PM
ReaperGrim

ORIGINAL: t_burley

Luke knows Corsairs
Does this look like a geek to you? Me as a gladiator in Spartacus, I was in the show on Saturday:

Name:	Tr51468.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	906402  
Old 03-17-2008, 11:07 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

LMAO Luke! well at least you got to dust off your old gladiator suit
and put it too good use
Old 03-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ReaperGrim

ORIGINAL: t_burley

Luke knows Corsairs
Does this look like a geek to you? Me as a gladiator in Spartacus, I was in the show on Saturday:

Great photo. Looks like a nice diversion.

Barry,
Have been enjoying the build and it is going to take a while. Keep posting.

Pete
Old 03-18-2008, 03:43 AM
SMUGator

ORIGINAL: ReaperGrim

The former in the full scale Corsair for the tail wheel was just behind the leading edge of the vertical fin, and it was mounted at the very bottom of that former so that when retracted the tail wheel and fork remained outside the aircraft.
Bugger! I checked mine on my TF 1/8 and it's about a half inch too far back. [:@] It should be about comparable to the level of scale on the rest of the kit though.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Wolflord

Either place is good for my Gibbs, I will watch with interest. It will be a interesting year or two while you build your Corsair. I am looking forward to following your progress.

Geoff
Old 03-18-2008, 05:36 PM
NCIS

I have many scale books and 3 views of the TW retract location. The only thing you see when it is in the retracted position is one half of the tire and no retract. Unless you are looking at different Corsair books this is about as close as I can get. Plus I did move the former forward 1/4" to be where the plan called for it. I am very happy with the lines of this Corsair and when it's done I hope everyone will see what a good designer Don Smith was before he retired. His planes won Top Gun and many other events over and again. I will post both places for those that don't know where RCSB is. That stands for RCSCALEBUILDERS. Thanks for the input on the TW retract anyway. I just disagree with you on the location.

Gibbs
Old 03-18-2008, 06:22 PM
NCIS

Here is where I got the information on the proper placement for the TW retract and how high it should be in the tail. The drawing is from The Scale and Detail book and the rest of the pictures are from the books in the pictures. If you look at the ruler it signifies the TE of the fin on the plan and the plane is directly in line with the plan. The TW retract is directly below it exactly where it is supposed to be. I hope this gives you the idea of where I got the location from. Don Smith was just 1/4" off and since he just blew up 1/5 scale plans to 1/4 scale I think he was probably right on with his 100" Corsair. This 120" just makes everything a little hard to follow because of the plans.

Gibbs

Name:	Ay75693.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	907066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14125.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	907067   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76369.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	907068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73787.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	907069  
Old 03-18-2008, 08:44 PM
ReaperGrim

ORIGINAL: NCIS

His planes won Top Gun and many other events over and again. I will post both places for those that don't know where RCSB is. That stands for RCSCALEBUILDERS. Thanks for the input on the TW retract anyway. I just disagree with you on the location.

Gibbs
Top Gun has nothing to do with how scale a plane is or how accurate the outline is, I'm not trying to win a contest and I don't care what the judges say at TG, I just like my planes to be accurate for my own satisfaction. A name also does not guarantee scale accuracy and I like to decide for myself if I like something. Assuming that others never make mistakes or that no one can make an improvement on a product will never lead to innovation and new ideas.

Looking at the tail wheel from the new picture perspective makes it look to small, the drawing on the plans looks like it is in the right location and size.

I have many scale books and 3 views of the TW retract location. The only thing you see when it is in the retracted position is one half of the tire and no retract. Unless you are looking at different Corsair books this is about as close as I can get.
Not many 3 views are correct and the 3 views in Detail and Scale have many errors. If you are happy that's great, I'll just let other decide for themselves. If you think that tale wheel is right then I certainly would not have any luck convincing you of any other errors in the design.

Name:	Ig13595.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	907240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19152.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	907241  
Old 03-18-2008, 09:18 PM
ReaperGrim

The only thing you see when it is in the retracted position is one half of the tire and no retract.

Gibbs
Just to show how accurate your drawings are, what you say above is impossible. There is no way to show half of a tire with no retract forks exposed. When Vought added the extra length to the tail wheel for better visibility it made the tail wheel hang out more when it was retracted. Compare my 1/8 Royal Corsair with the full scale Corsair in flight I show in the above post.

Name:	Ki18701.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	907322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85304.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	907323  
Old 03-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Wolflord

ReaperGrim, I would have to disagree, I have alot of pictures on the Corsair and yes "some" have the fork below the doors but not all. Some of the pictures I have show the wheel fork above the doors. Then there are some with no tail wheel out of the doors at all. I would have to make a guess that some had bad hydralics or something causing them not to fully retract? I wondering if some models have different tail wheel setups.

JMO

Geoff
Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 PM
ReaperGrim

ORIGINAL: Wolflord

ReaperGrim, I would have to disagree, I have alot of pictures on the Corsair and yes "some" have the fork below the doors but not all. Some of the pictures I have show the wheel fork above the doors. Then there are some with no tail wheel out of the doors at all. I would have to make a guess that some had bad hydralics or something causing them not to fully retract? I wondering if some models have different tail wheel setups.

JMO

Geoff
You are correct, the -5 had no hole in the tail gear doors, so no wheel showed at all. Early versions of the Corsair all the way up to the F4U-1A BuNo. 50080 had the short tail wheel that stayed mostly hidden when retracted, or may not show at all depending on the tail wheel fitted. It was when the strut was lengthened almost 6 1/2" that it protruded more. It is very difficult to see on the all glossy sea blue corsairs, especially with the small solid rubber tail wheel, because the retract unit was also painted blue. Without the tail hook fitted it may be easier for the retract unit to over retract and push further into the fuselage. Even if I am wrong about the tail wheel and fork protruding, his tail wheel is still mounted to deep in the fuselage, and that was my main point.

With this picture of the F4U-4 you know that the tail wheel was designed to be where it is because of the large fairing behind it. The reason that the fork shows up so well is because it was painted white, otherwise it would be very hard to see. It is my opinion that for later F4U-1A's and up to the F4U-4 that having the fork showing is correct and as designed. There may have been anomalies as I discussed that may have either caused the tail wheel to appear to be more fully retracted, but as designed the fork should show on these models.

Name:	Ig11649.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	907403  
Old 03-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Riddle4U

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NCIS, looks like you are doing a great job! I hope you will continue to post here (I just found the thread). It is always great to see any nice Corsair project.

Luke, once again your powers of observation and explanation reign supreme. I notice in your earlier picture that it appears to be an F4U-1. Even in that picture of the very early one, the forks are exposed (this is the one with the shorter tailwheel).
Old 03-19-2008, 12:17 AM
SMUGator

Great stuff as usual, Luke. Glad to see that Barry's thread got some attention from one of the best in the business.

Tom
Old 03-19-2008, 06:29 AM
ReaperGrim

ORIGINAL: Riddle4U

NCIS, looks like you are doing a great job! I hope you will continue to post here (I just found the thread). It is always great to see any nice Corsair project.

Luke, once again your powers of observation and explanation reign supreme. I notice in your earlier picture that it appears to be an F4U-1. Even in that picture of the very early one, the forks are exposed (this is the one with the shorter tailwheel).
I have pictures of early Corsairs that have the later tail wheel added in the field, when a newer Corsair got wrecked and an older one was still around they would swap the tail wheels for better visibility. The picture is not really of an early Corsair, it just had the birdcage added when the late Harry Doan restored it.

Thanks Tom, I'm not sure if this was the kind of attention that he wanted though! This post should wrap this up unless someone has some proof that I'm wrong.

The first picture of the older short tail wheel in the retracted position, you can see how it would protrude when an extension was added to the fork. And more documentation of the longer retracted tail wheel in flight.

Last picture CLEARLY shows how low on the fuselage former that the tail wheel was mounted.

Name:	Db85379.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	907538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46031.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	907539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35994.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	907540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67101.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	907541  
Old 03-19-2008, 02:50 PM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: kkozy
I found a web site on here obout a FG-1D at the Clark Co. Airport here in Indiana. I called the airport and they gave me the number to the hanger. I talked to one of the care takers / pilots, ( and I thought I had a kool job ) He told me that the corsair had been sold 2 years ago ( BUMMER! ) He said that the mustang is still there along with some other planes. I know that there is a F4U-5 at the airport in valporaso In. so i guess I`ll just have to plan a road trip for some pics and to get a good look at the tailwheel assembly and whatever else that I might be able to scale down. Please keep all of us posted on your porgress. It`s looking good so far. Kozy
Kozy,

There's a FG-1D being restored in Cincinnati at the Tri-State Warbird Museum. Check out their website: [link=http://tri-statewarbirdmuseum.org/]Tri-State Warbird Museum[/link]

Here's some pictures I took:
[link=http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u221/rwright142/Corsair%20Graveyard]FG-1D[/link]

These are mostly internal so I need to upload the external pictures I took too.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:05 PM
kkozy

RWRIGHT, Thans for the info, I`m sure it`ll come in handy. As for me though, I`m planning a trip up to my home town ( Michigan City In ). That`s only about 20 miles from Volpo. As i said, I know the owner, and I`ll be in the area. I plan on putting the long version on mine just because i like the way it sets. Just like the difference between a `68 and `69 camero, same body, just sets a little different. I would like to see whatever pictures you took of the Cincinati bird though.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:23 PM
kkozy

NCIS, Regardless of whether or not the fork shows, unless you plan on competing in scale competition, i don`t see where it will make a big differance. If you are really considering comp. then i think i would be making sure the three views being used were stamped as authentic and accurate and recognized by the AMA. I might be wrong on this, but i think Dave Platt has the authority to stamp the three views as accurate for competition. I DO REMEMBER though, that somebody up high on the competitors list has that authority. It all depends on how strong you want to be able to argue your point to a scale judge, or a modeler friend at your field. I hope this helps you on what you`re trying to accomplish. Good luck, Kozy
Old 03-19-2008, 07:15 PM
NCIS

Luke,

I slept on what you posted yesterday and that picture in your post #54 kept coming to mind. I couldn't stand it and since I know you know your Corsairs I put the TW retract where it should be. It's under the TE of the fin when in the down position and when it's up the yoke and half the axle shows as in your post. I like it much better this way and like you said it's to pretty to hide. Thanks Luke and all of you for helping me with this seemingly minute scale change but I am a perfectionist and appriciate all what you have to say. So GLADIATOR if you see anything else that I'm doing wrong let me know before it's to late. Kozy I do plan on entering it in competetion and don't want to hassle with a judge over the TW.

Thanks again,

Gibbs

Name:	Wu60826.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	908053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79973.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	908054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48089.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	908055  
Old 03-19-2008, 08:36 PM
ReaperGrim

Luke,

I slept on what you posted yesterday and that picture in your post #54 kept coming to mind. I couldn't stand it and since I know you know your Corsairs I put the TW retract where it should be. It's under the TE of the fin when in the down position and when it's up the yoke and half the axle shows as in your post. I like it much better this way and like you said it's to pretty to hide. Thanks Luke and all of you for helping me with this seemingly minute scale change but I am a perfectionist and appriciate all what you have to say. So GLADIATOR if you see anything else that I'm doing wrong let me know before it's to late. Kozy I do plan on entering it in competetion and don't want to hassle with a judge over the TW.

Thanks again,

Gibbs
Thanks bud, I appreciate that and I must say it looks perfect now! Your Corsairs tail will sit up higher as it should and it will handle better on the ground during take offs and landings. And I'm sure Dave Platt will love it, he liked my 1/8 scale Royal Corsair when I brought it to a IRKS club meeting. I'll be glad to chime in when I see something I would do differently. Again the tail wheel looks perfect, very nice!

Luke

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.