Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hellcat advice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 03:05 AM
CUB1
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hellcat advice!

I have a Brison 4.2 and I would like some advice from the experts who are flying any of Ziroli Hellcats or Byrons Hellcats.
Which kit would be the best for my engine?

I appreciate all suggestions.
Thanks,
Old 03-07-2002, 01:23 PM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Default Brison 4.2

Cub1,

I don't have the Hellcat, but I do have a Byron Corsair. I have a 3.2 on it and it flies just fine. I had a Meister Corsair with a 100 inch wing and it flew fine on a 4.2. My guess would be the Hellcat would be the same. So I would say go for the larger Ziroli Hellcat for the 4.2 as long as you keep the weight reasonable. Somebody else that has one of the Hellcat's will probably be better able to tell you though.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:18 PM
CUB1

Default Hellcat advice!

VoughtF4U,
Thanks for the info, did you have power to spare with your Meister Corsair?
Or did you have to be close to full throttle most of the flight.

I`m going to order one of these kits next week, Ziroli`s will have the fiberglass fuse version if I decide to go that way.

Anybody else out there have any advice!
Thanks,
Old 03-07-2002, 03:55 PM
VoughtF4U

Default Hellcat advice!

I've actually flown two different Meisters. One with a G-62 and hardly any details, no flaps, but it did have retracts. It was very light, monocoted, and actually weighed less than my Byron. Flew very well and floated forever.

The heavier Meister one was loaded with lots of details and had heavy fiberglassing. This was the one with the 4.2, and later a Quadra 100. It definitely had plenty of power. It wouldn't hover or anything like that but you were still talking about something like 30 pounds of thrust on a 35 pound warbird. Had the power to go around and climb out if I had to. I spent most of my time with the power pulled back to half for cruising or 3/4 throttle for fast flying. I only used full power on climb outs and for high speed fly-bys. I would normally dive the thing from altitude at half or less throttle and when I leveled out was when I would go to full throttle. I think you will be happy with the Ziroli and the 4.2.

My Byron on the other hand, flies great, but is very heavy. It only has a Quadra 52 in it and you need to fly it on the wing instead of on the prop. It will fly surprisingly well though for as heavy as it is and as little power as it has. I think a G-62 would be nice to have in the Byron warbirds, but it is my opinion that a 4.2 would be over kill. Since you already have the 4.2, go with the Ziroli. But either the Ziroli or the Byron will make an excellent flying plane.

I'll be starting another Meister Razorback P-47 soon with a Quadra 100 in it and then I'll be building two more Meister Corsairs, a F-4U-1 birdcage version and a F-4U-5NL night fighter version.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out...
-Scott-
Old 03-07-2002, 06:06 PM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Default John:

I built two Byron hellcats and I had Sachs 3.7's in them....they flew great....Believe the 4.2 that you have will be the engine for either one you decide to build...You'll need the nose weight from the heavier sachs...both Hellcats, I had to add nose weight..first one .I added 6 Ibs to the nose and the second one,I added 5 Ibs....Just keep the tail as light as possble....Good luck
Old 03-08-2002, 11:22 PM
CUB1

Default Hellcat advice!

Scott and Jimmy,
Thanks for the advice, I leaning toward the Byron since it is the lighter plane and I`m probably going to need the nose weight.
It is a 5" difference on the length of these 2 birds....70" and 75"
I always like to have a plane with an engine that has power to spare to pull it around, but not overly excessive.
I guess I`m use to the aerobatic stuff, pulling out of hovers.
Even though I will not be doing manuevers like that with the Hellcat.

Iron Bay Models should have his kit done in the next 2 months, I`ll give him a call to put my order in next week.
Thanks again guys, you have helped me ever so much.
Old 03-09-2002, 09:51 AM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Byron Hellcat

I just finished my Byron hellcat last month. My overall opinion of the kit is that the materials used and scale appearnace are excellant! My only criticism is that the kit uses old technology. Remember, my kit was one of the original Byron kits. I made lots of modifications using today's hardware, etc., and also completely revamping servo locations, flap set up, elevator set up, etc. If you want more info after you get started, give me a shout. Plane came out absolutely beautiful and I am extremely happy. Needed almost five pounds in the nose, located at the very from ridge of the cowl. My cowl feels like there is a brick in it. However, I have been told by Byron Hellcat vets that the weight is not only normal, but actually makes the thing fly better. I guess I'll find out in the near future. I'll get pics on RCU asap. Good luck. By the way, my bird is sporting a G-62 which fits beautifully in the cowl.
Old 03-10-2002, 02:04 AM
CUB1

Default Hellcat advice!

Mark,
Thanks for the info on your Hellcat, I probably will start putting it together next fall when the flying season is over up here in the north.
I agree with you on the old technology, I have a Byron P-47 that I`m finishing up right now. I bought the plane used last year and its in great shape, but I didn`t like the way the airlerons servos mounted up in the fuse with the bellcrank and tourge rods. To me that is creating to much slop.
So I put the servos out in the wing panels and used a 4-40 rod to the airlerons.
I feel much better with this arrangement.
Thanks again,
Old 03-11-2002, 01:09 PM
VoughtF4U

Default Byron Kits

Byron kits certainly do come out a little heavier than most but it always amazed me that even with the few extra pounds of weight they still fly better than most. I would love to get my hands on another Byron Corsair somtime and build it the way I should have built my first one. Too many other projects in the line first though.

I didn't realize the hellcat would need that much weight in the nose to balance out. Since that is that case, ballast that creates horsepower is always better than ballast that just sits there for the free ride!

Good luck...
Old 08-11-2003, 12:44 AM
wareagle614
My Feedback: (46)

Default Hellcat advice!

I HAVE A ZIROLI HELLCAT AND IT FLYS GREAT I HAVE AZDZ 80 WITH A 22/10 PROP WITH 20 FLIGHTS ON IT TO DATE I HAVE IT FOR SALE ON THIS WEB SITE
Old 08-11-2003, 01:31 AM
MarkShapiro

Default Byron Hellcat

Since my last post here in Jan. 2002, I have flown my Hellcat with the G-62. More than enough power. In fact, I fly around quite nicely at half throttle; no lie! Even witht he G-62 I needed almost 6 pounds in the nose. Anyway, for pictures of my Hellcat in flight, do a search on this forum for "Hellcat Heavan"
Old 08-11-2003, 02:04 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hellcat advice!

Mark, how much does your hellcat weigh ?
Old 08-11-2003, 01:16 PM
MarkShapiro

Default Hellcat weight

Around 32 lbs. She'a a tank! I'll admit that I overbuilt a little bit when doing all of the modifications. However. This plane flies incredibly well and is very very stable. Good slow flight characteristics and quite speedy when you give it the throttle. The G-62 seems to be the perfiect power fit for this airplane.