Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Just another Top Flight Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Just another Top Flight Corsair

Old 04-21-2003, 04:37 AM
Devo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just another Top Flight Corsair

I won't say it's done, but it's ready to fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	72476_19237.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	43753  
Old 04-21-2003, 04:43 AM
Devo

I started construction on 12/30/02. Ready to fly 4/16/03. Uses a Saito 120 for power. Robart retracts, flaps, two aileron servos, cockpit kit and dummy radial.

Name:	72477_19237.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	43754  
Old 04-21-2003, 04:50 AM
Devo

Here's the instruments, before the cowl was attached.

Name:	72479_19237.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	43755  
Old 04-21-2003, 05:03 AM
Devo

It's covered in monocote, for now. I want to see how it flies, then in time I may fiberglass it. The monocote is OK, but I can see the benefit of glassing and painting. I will add some more graphics soon, but it's time to fly now. The engine was broke in on the bench and now has three tanks ran through for tuning and taxi tests in the yard. I'm pretty happy with the exhaust sound and location as shown in this picture. I have a 16/8 Zinger prop mounted on the engine now. It turns 7200 RPM and pulls like a Clydesdale. Should fly well... soon!

Name:	72482_19237.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	43756  
Old 04-21-2003, 06:58 AM
Maiden Voyage

Devo:

Looks GREAT!!!!
Good luck with the "Maiden Voyage" Let us know how it goes.

Did you do any mods, if so which ones? Any there any you wish you would of or would not of done?
Old 04-21-2003, 07:42 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking plane Devo.
What size is the model. span etc. Never seen one down here.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:50 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the cowl flaps, how did you do it: customize stock cowl OR aftermarket cowl?
Old 04-21-2003, 11:58 AM
vkernus
My Feedback: (1)

It looks great.
Best of Luck on the maiden voyage.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:55 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default TF Corsair

Devo your corsair should fly well. I flew mine with an OS90 on ignition and it was plenty of power. The only problem I had was I couldn't get it to groove for landing so I always had to fly it all the way to the ground. Other than that it flew well untill I sold it.. heres a pic.... Regards BobH.

Name:	72679_32102.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	43757  
Old 04-22-2003, 04:36 AM
Devo

Thanks for the kind words from those that have posted.

In answer to questions asked, this is the 62" Top Flight Gold kit. As far as modifications, I added the extra aileron servo and, to keep the cowl as clean as possible a remote glow plug connection. I used the stock cowl. I added the flaps by cutting the aft portion of the cowl with a razor saw (thanks for the measurements Juice), and bent them while carefully applying heat with my heat gun. I wanted to open them as little as possible, and so far tests on the ground show that the cooling should be more than adequate. The cowl is not glued together as stated on the plan, but rather screwed together to aid in removal. The dummy radial is attached to the cowl with screws to allow the movement needed to clear the rocker covers during removal. Also the exhaust exiting through the firewall to the scale location is not per the TF plan. Balance was obtained through battery placement with no extra weight added.

BobH, how was your Corsair finished? And do you know what it weighed?

I know the purists out there would scoff at this plane because it is not scale, but I know the average idiot who sees it and watches it fly will be able to identify it for what it is. I consider this airplane to be a work in progress. I've learned a lot about the Corsair as I built mine. It is quite an impressive aircraft. In the future I would like to add gear doors and I would like to refinish it with fiberglass and paint. At that time I will add a more authentic finish. As I said before, I want to fly it! This is my first warbird, and my first plane with retracts. There aren't many warbirds where I fly, so this F4 should be something of a novelty.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:16 AM
Jack Devine
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Top Flight Corsair

Devo: Your new Corsair looks great and you should be very proud of it. Having the best scale airplane out there is not the way to get into Warbirds but rather build one and make it nice and learn to fly it and once you get the hang of the heavy metal then decide on your next step. The 120 will make this thing a real performer but that can be a two edge sword. With this being your first Warbird I hope you don't make the same mistake I did and have it last about ten seconds into the first flight. You are going to have to really manage the throttle with that big fourstroke and know that it takes a lot of right rudder on a nice straight takeoff run. Your plane will jump into the air if you let it and it will do so far before you have built up enough airspeed to fly with reasonable control. If this happens the plane will start a slow roll to the left and go right in on the wing and cowl and the situation is unrecoverable. You won't save it with power or opposite aileron because the panic application of right aileron just makes the stall worse and you know the rest of the story. I did exactly what I'm describing with my brand new Top Flight Corsair the first time it went to the field. I took it home in a trash bag and after thinking of every excuse I could condure up I realized it was the pilot not the plane that caused the demise of my beautiful new Corsair. That was about twelve years ago and I tell every new Corsair driver that I meet the same thing in an attempt so save them the aggrivation of destroying a new airplane that took many hours to build. Manage the throttle with slow steady applications of power and realize that you will never become a good Warbird pilot until you master the rudder. You will never see a real full scale Warbird take off in just a few feet and your model shouldn't do that either. Let your plane build up a good deal of airspeed before you let it fly. Make a good long run down the runway up on the main gear and it will lift off with just the slightest hint of up elevator when it has built up sufficient airspeed to really fly. Climb slowly and do not attempt to turn until you are a good fifty feet up in the air and don't worry about the gear until you are safely flying. Learn the plane and leave the more agressive maneuvers to later flights and just learn to know your new airplane. You won't regret that. There will be plenty of time to wring it out once you become comfortable with it in the air. Taking a good deep breath every now and then will help a lot too. Corsairs are wonderful airplanes that are very exciting to fly and you will get hours of enjoyment out of yours if you do it right. Take a few minutes and check out the "Technique Section on the RCWarbirds.com website. There is some valuable information there. Good luck Devo and keep us all posted on how your new Warbird flys.

Jack Devine
Old 04-22-2003, 06:27 AM
Devo

Jack, thanks for the words of encouragement.

I have a GP Super Skybolt with a Saito 120. I consider this the closest thing to a simulator that I have for the Corsair. From what I've read on this forum, It behaves the same (close to stall speed) as a Corsair. The Skybolt has a steep glide angle. I've found the best way to land it is to slow it during the final turn on approach then apply some power and fly it in.

Thanks for the tip on take off. I'm not one to hammer the throttle on take off and jump my planes into the air. I generally like to try to make my models look as real as I can in flight, so I'll be sure to let it roll out on take off. I have taxied the Corsair with some speed and found it to handle on the ground much better than I expected. I feel confident that I'll be able to take off with no problem.

I feel confident it will land.

What's left to be seen is how many pieces it goes home in. You never really know how well your flight controls are rigged until the wheels leave the ground for the first time.

Also the gear will probably stay down for the first flight.

I love flight test!
Old 04-22-2003, 08:32 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nice Job

Devo,
Looks super. Good luck with the test flight. Come back and let us know how she flew. Pete
Old 04-22-2003, 10:59 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default TF Corsair

Devo, My plane was fininshed with Glass and paint. I used Chevron's (perfect) paint and KB Resin. I think the plane weighed near 10.5 lbs. That's not bad considering it had 2 batteries and the glass and paint finish.
Heed the advice about take offs for the first few times.. I watched as a friend rolled his into a ball for exactly the reasons described above. To little airspeed on take off.. Its no big deal its just being a little more patient with the throttle and flying the plane on the wing.
FYI the Zirolli Corsair lands at a walk! So.. when your thinking of a super looking, super flying plane.. think of that one!.. You can detail till your hearts content! lOl... Regards and keep us all updated ... BobH.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:56 AM
Mach1Latus
My Feedback: (3)

Devo

It seems there are a lot of TF Corsairs ready for there maiden flight. Here is a picture of mine. I used the same chevron paint as bob but I covered mine in solartex. My plane weighed in at 11Lbs. with 8 servos and retracts. What did your plane weigh in at?

I tried to fly mine last weekend but the lading gear rod in the retracts rotated during the takeoff run. Its hard to get up speed when your wheel is rotated 90 deg. from the direction of the plane. I hope to have this problem fixed for another shot at flying my first warbird later this week, then its time to start building my Wing Mfg. B-25 .

Stephen

Old 05-23-2003, 02:42 AM
Devo

Finally got to weigh the Corsair. It weighs 10 pounds 14 ounces. Still haven't had a chance to fly it.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:18 AM
Flak

Devo and all you other "Bent Wing Bird" lovers,

Your Corsair looks great, but will look even better and more realistic when you glass and paint her. Beware of high rates on her elevator until you are acquainted with her dance step routine.
There is not an airplane built that looks prettier than an F4U in a low pass down the runway.

I am currently working on several projects to include a 101" W/S Ziroli B-25 and a Pica 1/5 P-40. However. I do plan a Ziroli F4U Corsair in the near future.

I had a very nice T/F GE 60 size F4U done up in the flat black night fighter USMC scheme with red letters and markings with a ST 90 pulling her around. I even built scale landing gear doors in her wings...she was awesome. I lost her in a low slow speed stall after the engine quit. I had her nose at full down elevator, but she tip stalled and in she went. Oh well, her successor will be even better.

I want to say something about "Scale War birds". I have heard some say the T/F War Birds are not scale aircraft. Well, what model that flies worth the time spent to build it is? Please remember as the plane reduces in size from it's full size cousin a couple of things happen. The air molecules do not reduce in size, so this makes things interesting. Any bad flight characteristics the real aircraft has have just been multiplied.

I have seen people at my field with scale aircraft get into trouble by not flying the airplane to the ground. A War Bird knows no forgiveness and is not a trainer, unless it's an L2, L4 or something like that. Even one of the high wing Warriors will bite you if you let it. Remember, you are in command of the aircraft!

Anyone who can fly a 40 to 120 size War Bird proficiently is to be commended. I have a T/F Red Box P-51B powered by a ST 61 that requires flaps for landing or she takes the length of the runway (600') to slow down and taxi. Take offs require a scale climb and turn with rudder to down leg, (just like a real
one).

Retired General Chuck Yeager, USAF autographed her hood and I am no longer allowed to fly her. She does make appearances at fly ins and mall shows. When General Yeager autographed her hood he grinned real big and said, "Oh yes, I remember this one".

I plan to get a digital camera soon and post some photos of some of my War Birds for you guys/gals to feast your eyes on. I hope there are some gals in the War Bird mania, (I mean hobby).

Good luck with your War Birds and all of your ventures.

Keep 'Em Flying,
Old 05-24-2003, 01:02 AM
CorsairJock

Some of us prefer to have our Corsairs looking realistic in the air, in which cases, scale speeds and stand off looks are the requirements. Scale speeds are easier to attain with lighter aircraft, and aircraft which use iron on covering are generally (but not always) lighter. Check out my galley for pics of how a Top Flite Corsair can be finished with iron on covering, and still be very scale/ accurate. My previous Corsair (#102) received acclaim from all who saw it, for it's realistic looks in flight. My new one is even better, as it is lighter and has flaps.
There are those here (at RCUniverse) who have refered to the Top Flite Corsair as excrement, and to those I have taken exception. It COULD have been designed to be a more scale accurate aircraft, without sacrificing it's great flying qualities and ease of construction. But the designers apparently did not have access to the same drawings as Royal, D&B, Jemco, and others did. The more recent magazine ads proclaim the Top Flite warbirds to be scale accurate, but at least in the case of the Corsair, they do leave something to be desired.
Nontheless, I agree that they are a great flying aircraft, capable of almost trainer like landings when set up right. And I for one, will continue to build them, with modifications to make them more scale.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:41 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are those here (at RCUniverse) who have refered to the Top Flite Corsair as excrement, and to those I have taken exception.
Is the Red box Corsair the same as the Gold Edition? NO! I have said that the Red box TF Corsair from 1980 is excrement, so please quote me in context, not as if I am against all TF Corsairs, even the newest fun scale one!! The newest fun scale gold Corsair is a great scale trainer, the nose is extra long so it won't need any nose weight, but in the air this is really noticeable. My game is not fun scale, trainers or anything like that. Some here take personal preferences as a personal attack! I hate monokote on warbirds, but I love it on sticks! I don't care if another person loves Monokote on warbirds. more power to em! Why would another take exception to my preferences? I don't think I'll answer that!

Luke
Old 05-24-2003, 03:13 AM
CorsairJock

You're turn to lighten up. My references to iron on covering were in responce to the reply immediatly before mine, from a third party who stated:
"Your Corsair looks great, but will look even better and more realistic when you glass and paint her."
And my game is having realistic looking Corairs; while in flight. We all have our preferences, and while I don't claim the red box is better than other kits in most respects, I feel it does have some advantages over the others. Just as the Gold Edition has it's advantages, and Royal/ Marutaka it's. And they each have some disadvantages also. But none of them are even close to being cr*p.
Most overquoted saying of the 90's: "Can't we all just get along?" (R King)
Old 05-24-2003, 10:42 AM
Flak

Corsair Delima: Scale or Not

OK guys, I have an idea. Let's don't rely on the manufacturers for our next Corsair project. How about someone here on RCU who believes they can do it produce a set of exact scale F4U Corsair plans we can all build. This might be fun. I always say if you don't like something the way it is change it or
make it suit your needs. A full scale subject would be a great place to start. Let's keep this plan at the T/F GE 60 size to be fair of the criticized subject.

With little or no head wind the T/F War Birds are very difficult to fly at scale speeds, so this will really be a challenge with a true to scale subject. Building techniques will need to be shared also as weight will be a crucial factor.

The radial engine will really be a challenge to build, not to mention the landing gear and the instruments in the cockpit...
JUST KIDDING!!!

Keep 'Em Flying
Old 05-24-2003, 11:26 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Flak,
I was thinking along similar lines. I started a poll and thread for the best 60 size and under Corsair Kit. Under "other" maybe someone has a set of plans to offer as you suggest. Should be interesting and entertaining

here is the link http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...41&forumid=107 Petee
Old 05-28-2003, 04:05 AM
Devo

Since it weighs 10# 14oz., how much more can I expect it to weigh with a fiberglass finish?
Old 05-28-2003, 04:01 PM
Flak

Devo,

Fiberglass and paint will not add tons of weight as long as you don't use excessive material. When you glass the plane choose a cloth, (I prefer 3/4 oz.) that is light but strong. A mixture of finishing resin diluted by denatured alcohol about 50% is great. The following is the method I use: (1) Apply with a paint or sponge brush, then squeegee off with a playing card or old credit card. (2) Once the glass has dried, sand with 4 to 6 hundred grit then apply another coat of mixture if the weave is not filled. (3)Re-sand, then prime, I like to use "Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch" primer. (4) After priming, wet sand with 600 grit, (I use emery cloth as it does not fall apart when wet) shoot a light coat of primer where needed on any bare spots. (5) Now it's time to use your chart tape to apply your panel lines and rivets/screws. (6)Re-prime and prepare for paint. You'll find the recommended primer is very nice and leaves little over spray residue. (7) Peel off the chart tape. Wow, you now have visible detail! (8) Use fine or very fine steel wool and gently go over all of the detail to even any unwanted edges. (9) Shoot a nice light coat of paint. I prefer to buy my flat military automotive paint from RAPCO Parts Company, 1201 Highway 81 North, Bowie, Texas76230 Phone: 940-872-2403. A second light coat will make your paint great. You can buy paint from RAPCO by the spray can or by the gallon. I prefer to use an automotive paint gun for over all painting and an air brush for small areas. Use a good enamel reducer set for the proper temperature. (10) Once you are finished with the paint and detail work shoot at least one coat of
a clear fuel proof sealer over your work of art. Use either flat or semi-gloss to achieve the desired result. You now have a very great looking War Bird that not only is pleasing to the eye, but strong in structure and finish.

Try this method on a scrap piece of wood if you are skeptical. You will find it's a pretty cool way to go and you'll never have to mess with the finish again, unless it's to take a paint brush and do small touch up work for those unexpected dings from hangar and field rash. Remember, the fiber glass has just armor plated your balsa/foam structure and will protect the airplane like covering never could! There are several videos available on fiberglassing methods.

I hand paint the detail work on my war birds as I prefer an artistic touch, not a machine finished work. Both ways are acceptable.

Good luck Devo.

Keep 'Em Flying
Old 05-30-2003, 05:07 AM
Juice Man

Looks nice Devo. . .what size fuel tank you using?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.