Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Greg Hahn... Did you "sell out" to Top Flite?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Greg Hahn... Did you "sell out" to Top Flite?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Rickles56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Greg Hahn... Did you "sell out" to Top Flite?

If anyone wants to give away their TF B25 because it's not true scale, I'll give you my mailing address!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:05 AM
skidd1000

Nice plane jeff, I hope to see it at the sod fields this spring.
Steve
Old 03-02-2008, 12:45 AM
a walk in the park

Mustang51

It's kind of difficult to "sell out" to your employer, and better yet since Hobbico is an ESOP, I would have been selling out to myself??? To be quite honest, I would as you say "sell out" again in a heartbeat to endorse a product that could bring as much enjoyment and confidence to other modelers as this one has. I've always enjoyed seeing fellow modelers be successful with projects they previously considered to be too difficult or financially demanding.

Look at the B-25 arf for what it is, not what it isn't. If you even had a clue as to what it took to get it where it is and understand all the compromises required. You're looking at the culmination of 3 1/2 years of hard work and testing. Of course it's not as accurate as my competition plane, but it is as complex and for an ARF it's really good and it all works. All the compromises in scale fidelity are there for a reason, mostly due to packaging and transportability restraints. So don't think this was something that no one cared about. It is as good as possible and still fit in a reasonable size box, and be dis-assembled enough to fit in the average vehicle not requiring a trailer.

It's a B-25 ARF, leave the three views in the file cabinet and go enjoy an afternoon at the flying field.

best regards
gh
Old 03-02-2008, 12:46 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't think Greg Hahn cares what anyone thinks other than his sponser, which in this case is Great Planes AKA Top Flight,he is a well known modeler just like any other endorser of products same as Michael Jordan selling shoes or underware exept he's getting alot less money I would bet.

does anyone think he is on the ad staff that writes this, come on,from some of the video events I have seen of him, he's had a long working relationship with TF producing some fine looking models he built, from the ARC giant P-51,as well as the proto type B-25 he's selling in the add,just like any pro he's also got his Futaba shirt on as well,one thing for sure he is a top gun pilot and has the trophys how many of us can say that.
not many I am sure.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:50 AM
kx250f

Some guys in plaid shirts and B-17 hats take this a little to seriously me thinks. Modeling is supposed to be fun.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:04 AM
rcpete2

this is to funny,Iam having a hart attact,agin. RC PETE
Old 03-02-2008, 08:11 AM
rcpete2

I spelled at tak wrong I was laughing so hard.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:15 AM
rcpete2

my bad,its attack.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:22 AM
ISGUNN

Did Greg sell out? Not in my opinion.All he did is create an ARF of a B-25 that is ment for the sport scale model crowd.That is those of us who probably have a set of Nick's plans but not the time to do the build.The B-25 ARF fills the void and for a top notch guy like Greg to put the effort into it and convince his boss to go for it is great.Take for what it is not for what you think it should be.If you don't like it,then go build your own and let us enjoy the flying.
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
Old 03-02-2008, 09:20 AM
rcpete2

I know Mustang 51 well, his planes look good are built well and fly well. RCPETE,if you want my credentials let me know?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Rebel Flyer

I went to Top Gun in 98 and met GH there. He was very gracious and talked to me alot. I am just your average modeler, but he treated me as an EQUAL. I wish we could say that about many of the people we fly with. It is people like him,"Selling Out" that make me want to travel around this country to several flying events each year, just to fly Warbirds. Clicks and politics are bad for this hobby. I can't believe just because you have an established name in a hobby, you get to be attacked and slandered. I geuss it is my turn to turn it into a political forum now...Go Ron Paul!

Rebel
Old 03-02-2008, 09:41 AM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

same here, i met greg for the first time at top gun last year. i was flying my f84 in pro am and certainly not on his level. i just wanted to peek at his stuff without bothering him as i know how busy you can be at an event of this size. he was gracious, a true gentleman and a good ambasador for the hobby. hope to see him again this year. oh, and did i mention a good stick. barry
Old 03-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

Hi Fred, Hope all is well with you. I hope you're doing better then me in this thread.
I am working on the 38 right now and hope to have it done for WOD. That's if Pete will stop busting by sack contents.

Hey Jeff ... Good to hear from you. Thanks for DR comments. Yup she's still around and finally back in the air after the taxi way light run-in at the airport a few years back. Even though the I-16 has a face only a mother could love, it's still a pretty kool looking airplane and you did your usual fantastic job on her. Has she maidened? Would love to see it in the air. You should try to come down to Warbirds Over Deleware this year. It just keeps getting bigger and better. You'de be a great addition.

Pete... I'm gonna tell your wife on you that you've been on the internet again. How did you figure out her parental lock pass word?

As for the rest of you guys... I have nothing at all against an ARF. I have had many of them through the years and happen to like them and think they have an important place in our hobby. I have the Hangar 9 Cub and plan to build it soon. as a matter of fact.
Just don't try to sell me a Fiat and tell me it looks just like a Ferrari.

Oh and BigTim... Michael Jordan doesn't "MAKE" his sneakers, win champioships with them, and then come up with a cheap knock-off and sell them as a sneaker that looks like what he makes and wears. If Greg Hahn was winning Top Gun with ARFs' then I'de see your point.

-Dave
Old 03-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Mustang51

I appologize to Greg if I come off as personally attacking him. That is not my intention. I'm sure he is as nice a guy as he is a great builder.

-Dave
Old 03-02-2008, 10:15 AM
easton24
My Feedback: (1)

If you didnt want to personally attack GH than why did you call him a "sell out". Change the title of the thread then apologize.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Mustang51

Go back and read the post...
I never "called" him a "Sell Out".
I "ASKED" "IF" he sold out.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Servo481

Just read these posts and would like to tell you about my friends B-25. He is building the Top Flight B-25 ARF. He is still waiting for the brakes and scale wheels, but the rest is close to done. He built it as a Doolittle Raider B-25B. The top gun turret was moved, the lower replaced with simulated aluminum sheet, the tail gun was totally redone, and the exhaust blisters on cowls were removed to install the collector ring exhaust were some of the changes. The flying surfaces still have monokote and the fuselage is painted. The plane has panel lines, rivet, weathering, dirtying and even shoe scuff marks on top of the fuselage because on the real plane the ground crew would walk over fuselage when refueling the planes. He said that this plane would not be competitive at a top scale contest because all the panel lines and rivets are not 3D. He could 3D them, even on the monokote but did not want to spend the time because he is building it for fun not competition. Believe me this airplane looks great, it would not win top gun but everyone there would enjoy seeing it.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Whistling Death

This thread did not supply the RC Warbirds and Warplane forum with one bit of useful information. It should have been in the humor or off topic forums.
There needs to be two new forums started, one called "I am uptight and I want to ***** about something thread" and the "Please post you're needless information here that has no benefit to modelers thread"
The mods should have dumped this one from the beginning.
Guys lets please let this one die.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:40 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I know Dave and Greg. I respect both guys as builders, flyers and people.

One of the problems with the internet is that it's written communication. As such the nuances of the spoken language is often lost to the reader. That makes our job as the writer all the more difficult to make sure we convey just what we intended to.. not always easy.

I'm sure Dave will hook up with Greg at WOD and offer his appologies (if needed) in person. He's a stand up guy.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:09 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kx250f

Some guys in plaid shirts and B-17 hats take this a little to seriously me thinks. Modeling is supposed to be fun.

LOL now that comment made my day. Bravo!

Old 03-02-2008, 01:48 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Mustang51

Oh and BigTim... Michael Jordan doesn't "MAKE" his sneakers, win champioships with them, and then come up with a cheap knock-off and sell them as a sneaker that looks like what he makes and wears. If Greg Hahn was winning Top Gun with ARFs' then I'de see your point.

-Dave
now thats funny, but its a pointless argument so I won't even bother
Old 03-02-2008, 02:04 PM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess getting paid to use your name in advertising is great. He did earn it. I wish someone would pay me to use my name for something other than use it freely in vain. haha
Old 03-02-2008, 02:06 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Well here is my take on all this!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARF's are good it lets other people that normally would not be in this hobby participate. On the other hand is it all that hard to make an ARF scale? As in when they are making the molds and such why not make it scale? It is my only complaint and I don't think it is a money thing either as in why it can't be scale. Maybe that is why people get upset about these things. As far as Greg H. does it really matter what he does? He builds nice planes we all know that and maybe he sees what these planes were intended for. I fly not so scale planes all the time. They are Warbirds and for me this what I call my sport planes. I would not like to fly planes that I spent 2 years building as an everyday flier just because things happen and I like to keep the maintance down to a minimum. So basically who cares?

Randy
Old 03-02-2008, 02:58 PM
fytrjok
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A couple of points...first, by your reckoning, unless we are self employed, we have "sold out" to our employer? If your boss asked you to endorse one of its products that you helped develop, you'd say no?
Second, the add uses a very common sales tool...comparison. It's like the car adds that say, "Our product has many of the same features as the Mercedes_______ but costs thousands less!" The add makes a differentiation, asks the reader to pick which is the TG scale winner and then proceeds to compare AND contrast the two planes. It NEVER tries to pass the ARF off as a scale competition winner. I just don't see how you can justify criticizing Greg Hann personally after having read the contents of the add. Since we're talking about the B25 ARF...here's a few pics of mine!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83264.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	893359   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43126.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	893360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54731.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	893361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21032.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	893362  
Old 03-02-2008, 07:17 PM
damagedgoodes

Mustang 51,
I think the advertising people at TF could have taken a bit of a different approach on the style of ad, i will agree with you there. Getting off the topic a little i think there is a golden opportunity here for people with talent such as yours to bridge the widening gap in this hobby between ARF and very scale examples such as yours. Someone should produce a DVD with basic instrucional material on how to take that glossy film covered ARF (or fibreglass/solatex) and weather it and make small general scale mods to give the ARF a custom, more realistic individual feel. I know magazines run small articles from time to time, and that Dave Platt has DVD's but these run over several volumes and are too much info. For people like myself that are so isolated RCU is my link to the world and reading all these threads are a great source of info, but to look at the pics's of your planes like your FW190 and think, how did you weather it like that, i wish i could do something similar to my KMP Spitfire would be awesome(it looks like it just came out of the factory, all clean and new). People will say "just grab an airbrush and go for it", but easier said than done never having used one before and what type to buy?. An example by someone talented on a DVD would fill the gap instantly and steer newcomers in the right direction.
Once people get the basics i realy think it will build the confidence to say to themselves, if can make an ARF look a lot more scale, surely putting the sticks togeter myself can't be that hard and at least seriously look at kits again and maybe scratch build.
If anyone out there knows of something like this please em me with the info. I have the KMP SPIT, B25 and FW190 that are all in desperate need of detailing. Cheers,
Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.