Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

PLEASE CLOSE

Old 03-08-2002, 07:18 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PLEASE CLOSE

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP, WARBIRD_1
Old 03-08-2002, 08:16 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thread in scale section

There is a thread "Nelson Paint Help" in the scale section, page 2. The builder of the Cub had some problems with it. Although he admits its probably a learning curve. I have never used this paint but I went ahead and ordered some for the Taylorcraft I am building. The Taylorcraft is cloth covered plus fiberglass for the cowl. Paint will be ivory plus green. This should be a good test. I know this paint has been used by a Nationl scale champion so it has to work.
tonyc
Old 03-08-2002, 09:20 PM
ptrotter

Default Nelson Paint

Warbird_1,

I used Nelson paint on my TF P-40 and was quite pleased with it. I believe Jerry Nelson can mix it to any FS color you want. There are a couple of things I learned. First, don't sand the primer finer that 150-220 grit. The paint will fill the surface nicely and you can sand the first top coats as much as you want. This will minimize the possibility of poor adhesion. This is a water based paint and it relys on mechanical bonding. Second, you need to clean your spray equipment immediately after use as the paint drys very fast. You should also use the cross linker to make it more fuel proof.

I like the fact that it contains no nasty solvents, and I sprayed it indoors without any problems.

Good luck,

Paul
Old 03-08-2002, 10:16 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PLEASE CLOSE

thanks for the input guys
Old 03-09-2002, 03:49 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Nelson Paint

I have sprayed Latex and I had to thin at least 100%. How much watering down is needed? What pressure do I use on my touchup gun?
Sparky
Old 03-09-2002, 06:16 AM
ptrotter

Default Nelson Paint

Elmshoot,

I tend to thin Nelson paint about 30-40% with water. It depends on the color, as the colors closer to white are more heavily pigmented and need more thinning.

I use an HVLP gun with a turbine that only puts out about 10 PSI so I'm not sure what a standard system would require. I sometimes use an airbrush and generally set it at a fairly high pressure, about 40-50 lbs. Again it depends on the color.

I am quite pleased with the paint, and Jerry Nelson is a nice guy to talk to and get help. The paint is made by System Three and is primarily design for marine use so it should be fairly rugged.

I also like the Nelson water/alcohol reduced 2-part epoxy primer. I goes on easy, cleans up easy and gives a great, hard surface that can be sanded well.

The fellow that was mentioned previously that had problems with the paint probably either sanded the primer with too fine a grit, or didn't clean the surface properly. Since the paint requires a mechanical bond, it needs a little roughness to grab onto. 150 grit is really sufficient as the paint will fill any scratches at that grit. After the first coat of top coulor, the surface can be sanded as fine as you like prior to additional coats.

All in all, I highly recommend the paint.

Paul
Old 03-09-2002, 06:24 PM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

Default PLEASE CLOSE

I used Nelson paints on my jet - they worked great and were very easy to clean up. You need to use the epoxy primer - but that cleans up with water also. Just make sure you thin it enough and use very light coats to avoid drips.

I am going to be using this paint on all my planes from now on.
Old 03-13-2002, 11:36 PM
Ron Eisner
My Feedback: (4)

Default Nelson Paint Works... PERIOD!!!

I have used this system on my last four scale airplanes. On my big aerobats I still use monopkote, but for scale nothing is as easy and as foolproof as this water based, easy on, beautiful flow-out, easy clean-up "stuff".

I have made believers out of plenty of guys at the field. My Ziroli Stearman in scale yellow and pale blue is a knockout. Tape and stich detail on Coverall w/ nitrate dope and a final coat of 1/2 gloss clear and 1/2 flat clear. Nobody will ever believe you put it on with a foam brush!

I'm currently finishing a big P-47 and Jerry not only recommended a great scale paint job, he sent me a color copy and custom mixed the paint!

Learning curve from rookie to expert is less then 20 "strokes" and a good sense of how many drops of water you use to make it flow. I add a couple drops with each new coat... I have ONLY used the foam brush method, never any spray or brushes.

Try it, it works!