Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flight Sea Fury 60 Kit Questions/semi-build thread?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flight Sea Fury 60 Kit Questions/semi-build thread?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Garthwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flight Sea Fury 60 Kit Questions

nice video mesaflyer. Can you give us a fight report please ? c of g placement, did you use the recommended throws all round ? How much flaps throw ? Did you mix in some down elevator with flaps ?

Liked your take off and landing too.

Charles.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:24 AM
mesaflyer

Thanks Garthwood, my son is getting better with his editing. His camera is really not that good for shooting videos, but he makes it work.

I do not remember the exact CG, but next time I take it out I'll take a measurement. I do know it's real close to as far back as they recommend. The throws are also the recommended high rates all around. There is just a little bit of down mixed in with the flaps. It will balloon up if there isn't any mixed in, but does not take much. Full flaps throw is also recommended 2" at the widest part of the flaps.

My landing was a little hot, but I got it on the ground. This plane will nose over pretty easy if you don't have the mains just right. I have mine with about 1-2 degrees of toe in, but they will come loose due to the way the struts are attached to the Lados. I have to check them pretty much every flight, but so far I have not nosed it over for several flights now.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Have you got yours in the air yet?
Old 10-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Garthwood

ORIGINAL: mesaflyer

Thanks Garthwood, my son is getting better with his editing. His camera is really not that good for shooting videos, but he makes it work.

I do not remember the exact CG, but next time I take it out I'll take a measurement. I do know it's real close to as far back as they recommend. The throws are also the recommended high rates all around. There is just a little bit of down mixed in with the flaps. It will balloon up if there isn't any mixed in, but does not take much. Full flaps throw is also recommended 2'' at the widest part of the flaps.

My landing was a little hot, but I got it on the ground. This plane will nose over pretty easy if you don't have the mains just right. I have mine with about 1-2 degrees of toe in, but they will come loose due to the way the struts are attached to the Lados. I have to check them pretty much every flight, but so far I have not nosed it over for several flights now.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Have you got yours in the air yet?
mesaflyer...............thanks for the infor. mine is still in the final stages. Not balanced yet. The saito 125 is in for warranty service. Run into a problem during the break-in run. I don't imagine it will be in the air this year. Mainly because of the weather. Just sucks. I should have the engine back in about a week. My mains have a bit of toe-in too. Did you need to come in a bit hot. Are the flaps effective on this war bird ?

Charles.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:18 PM
mesaflyer

Charles,
Flaps are effective. I can tell the difference with half flaps or no flaps. I did not mean to come in that hot. It was a combination of me having the idle a little too high, and I just flat over shot the approach. That was actually my second attempt, and really I should have just gone around again. But my thumbs were shaking, and it was on the ground, so I just hoped it would stop short.

I let one of the jet pilots fly it after me, and he can really fly. He landed beautifully, other than a minor wing tip scrape because he turned just a little too soon.

Early on I was landing too slow, and it would stall and bounce hard. So now I have a tendency to over correct and not slow it down soon enough. I have had several really nice landings, it's just a matter of my lack of experience that leads me to the not so good ones. But I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

Since this plane now has some nice hanger rash, and the bubbling paint job, I shouldn't be as nervous. I don't have any problems landing my other planes, it's just that this one seems to make me nervous on the landings. Even though it is a little banged up, I guess all the hours I have into it won't let me relax. Maybe someday.

Do you know how heavy your plane is yet?

Pete
Old 10-02-2011, 03:44 AM
Garthwood

ORIGINAL: mesaflyer

Charles,
Flaps are effective. I can tell the difference with half flaps or no flaps. I did not mean to come in that hot. It was a combination of me having the idle a little too high, and I just flat over shot the approach. That was actually my second attempt, and really I should have just gone around again. But my thumbs were shaking, and it was on the ground, so I just hoped it would stop short.

I let one of the jet pilots fly it after me, and he can really fly. He landed beautifully, other than a minor wing tip scrape because he turned just a little too soon.

Early on I was landing too slow, and it would stall and bounce hard. So now I have a tendency to over correct and not slow it down soon enough. I have had several really nice landings, it's just a matter of my lack of experience that leads me to the not so good ones. But I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

Since this plane now has some nice hanger rash, and the bubbling paint job, I shouldn't be as nervous. I don't have any problems landing my other planes, it's just that this one seems to make me nervous on the landings. Even though it is a little banged up, I guess all the hours I have into it won't let me relax. Maybe someday.

Do you know how heavy your plane is yet?

Pete
hi Pete..............same here, i always feel nervous at first. I have only been flying for about 8 years. I still think you did a good landing job. our club has a short strip grass field with a pond near by. A friend of mine fly jet turbines and he always gives me a hand with my maidens. Like you i'm a bit nervous on maidens, but who's not anyways. My sea fury weighs about 10-1/2 lbs dry but not balanced, so I'm curious what the final weight is going to be. I don't think you should be all worried about some bubbles on the paint job. These are war birds and not show pieces. But i can see you did a good job on your paint job.

Charles.
Relax mate !
Old 10-03-2011, 04:18 AM
B-Squared

Great Job Mesaflyer...Its nice to see someone with this airplane. I enjoyed watching the video you posted. I finished mine a couple years ago and to date have 20 or so flights (somehow my kids have consumed my flying time...its all good) and its my favorite aircraft. I'm jealous of your engine selection. If I had to do it again I would do the same as you with the gas engine. I have an O.S. 1.08 with a 16 x 8 prop. I also went with Robarts 630 series retracts (12-24 lb range) with 100 degree swing. At 14 lbs, I balanced it by putting 2 - 6.0 volt 2000mah and a glow driver on the fire wall. One of these days I'm going to start landing it using flaps...to date I have not. Its a fantastic aircraft, you'll have a ball with it...great paint job!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51639.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	1669252  
Old 10-03-2011, 05:40 AM
Garthwood

ORIGINAL: B-Squared

Great Job Mesaflyer...Its nice to see someone with this airplane. I enjoyed watching the video you posted. I finished mine a couple years ago and to date have 20 or so flights (somehow my kids have consumed my flying time...its all good) and its my favorite aircraft. I'm jealous of your engine selection. If I had to do it again I would do the same as you with the gas engine. I have an O.S. 1.08 with a 16 x 8 prop. I also went with Robarts 630 series retracts (12-24 lb range) with 100 degree swing. At 14 lbs, I balanced it by putting 2 - 6.0 volt 2000mah and a glow driver on the fire wall. One of these days I'm going to start landing it using flaps...to date I have not. Its a fantastic aircraft, you'll have a ball with it...great paint job!
bsquared.................nice covering colour combination. I like your idea of the on board glow driver/batteries on the firewall box. My Saito 125a is installed @ 40 minutes, not quite inverted and not quite sideways. Originally i had planned to install the Sullivan glow driver, but this fuselage is over engineered with hardly enough room for all the electronics etc.....so i have to find a way to somehow installed this glow driver. i should have thought about this during the build. The extra battery is a great idea to locate it on the firewall. Thanks.

Charles
Old 10-03-2011, 08:05 AM
mesaflyer

B-squared,
That is a really good looking plane you have there. At one time I was thinking of doing a Reno racer with no flaps (to save weight), especially after seeing Dreadnought hauling ***** around the Chino air show. But once I saw the camo, I knew that was what I wanted.

I do love the gas engine, especially now that there are several out there (I also have a DLE 20) that are 20cc and really put out the power. I built a little plywood shelf and tie wrapped it to the top of engine stand offs. I then installed both the batteries and the ignition on the shelf. Tried to get everything up front, but still had to add over a pound of lead. I don't have a picture, but next time I take the cowl off, I take one. I am using 2.4 radio, and so far no interference or heat problems with this set up.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:02 PM
B-Squared

Mesaflyer,
Were you able to get the engine and plug cap inside the cowl or did the plug extend through the cowl. I'm trying to figure out whether to stick with glow or switch to gas next Summer. I had the cowl off this weekend...here's my set up. By the way, what size prop are you using?

Name:	Bz77725.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1672464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48275.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1672465  
Old 10-10-2011, 03:53 PM
mesaflyer

B-Squared,
The plug and cap stick out a little. I have attached a pic of my first attempt at cutting the cowl. The engine would not run this way, because it was not getting enough air. I have since just cut a bigger opening about 4" x 4" diamond shape that lets a lot more air in.

Now that I have a little more engine experience, I would go with a DLE 20cc gasser.

I'm running a 16x8 MAS at about 7400 rpm.

Name:	Xv64563.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1672502  
Old 10-10-2011, 04:24 PM
B-Squared

Why a DLE 20 gasser??? Nice job with the cowl cut out...even if it didn't work.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:02 AM
mesaflyer

I have a DLE 20 on my Extra, and from all accounts that I have read on here, it has the most bang for your buck. On my Extra, it's turning a 16x8 XOAR at 8100 rpm's.