Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1/6 CAD Corsair Build

Old 03-20-2008, 03:37 PM
ReaperGrim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/6 CAD Corsair Build

Well, here I am again building another Royal Corsair. Not just another Royal Corsair this time though, a few things are going to be different this time around. First, this is going to be a group build and I’m the skipper of this miniature squadron. As the title of the thread says, this will be a 133% enlargement of the 1/8 Royal Corsair plan for a wingspan of 82”. Those who know me already know that I am a huge fan of the 1/8 Royal Corsair, in my opinion it is the most accurate plan of the Corsair, no other plan or kit can touch it. I will cover some of the scale comparisons in another post. We have some real talent on this build and as of right now we have 5 confirmed Corsairs that will be constructed. I just wanted to open this thread so that the other builders could check in and we can start exchanging ideas, the build will probably start near the end of the month. We have to get our tail wheels finished first. I have the plans in PDF file format and they can be printed at any Kinko’s for .75 cents a square foot, and it isn’t cheap I know, it comes to $90 for a set of plans. If someone knows a better way, let us know.

Some info on my plane:
Earl Aune main retracts
My own tail wheel and functional tail hook
Custom braised aluminum scale exhaust
Servo operating sliding canopy
My own custom cockpit kit
Either birdcage or later bubble canopy
Fiberglass cowl that both Randy and made the plug for and Stan’s Fiber Tech will make the mold and cowls
For power I am using an O.S. BGX-1 35cc glow engine
My pilot will be Pappy Boyington, a converted Doc Miller figure
My plane will be #915, the one Pappy was shot down in

I only made small changes to the plans:
Moved F-6 forward for a scale size cockpit interior
Added the tail wheel retract former in the scale location
Reshaped F-7 (rear cockpit former) for a more scale shape, it was too fat at the top

I thought the Blacksheep would be good because I like Pappy and I have the same distain for rules, regulations, traditions and I think for myself. We take the rank off in here and if we need to bust a few beaks to get the job done we will!

Blacksheep-1

Pictures:
Second picture shows the original location of former F-6
Third picture shows my tail wheel former location
And then the man himself, my Pappy figure!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92440.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	908740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60881.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	908741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91422.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	908742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha78960.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	908743  
Old 03-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Riddle4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 1/6 Royal Corsair Blacksheep Squadron Build

Blacksheep-2 reporting front and center SIR! ..Pappy does this mean we can be unmitigated screwballs? Bust out the poker table![sm=47_47.gif]

- Eric "Robert" Hanson

Preliminary procurement:
Earl's main gear, drag links in engineering dept.
Tailwheel U/C -TBD (to be determined)
Wheels- 5" Glennis-spoked w/diamond + tailwheel
Prime mover- tentatively, Laser 300 V-twin four-stroke, 50cc (I'm in Colorado [oops..Vella Lavella])
This engine exhausts directly down to scale location, will have scale brass stacks or aluminum (if Pappy learns me)
Accessories- operating cowl flaps, sliding birdcage canopy, lights, frise ailerons & scale flap hinging
Cockpit- Viking or Pappy special
Pilot- "Doc Miller" on a weight loss program (no way to out-do that Pappy likeness!)
Surface detail- All, hopefully
Aircraft #- whatever they'll lend me ("Marines Dream" Edwin L. Olander #576 Birdcage)

Name:	Ol31616.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	908827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17410.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	908828  
Old 03-20-2008, 05:43 PM
cimara

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

try Office max its 55 cents a square foot here in atlanta
Old 03-20-2008, 05:48 PM
ReaperGrim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 03-20-2008, 05:49 PM
ReaperGrim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 03-20-2008, 05:57 PM
saramos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wanna join the squadron Pappy, but they got me assigned to these gol darn P-51s right now. Guess I'll have ta be sastisified with with stoppin' by and chatting when on leave! I'll be following closely.

My long term plans for this hobby is to do a number of builds in the 1/6 scale. It's a scale that seems to be under represented in RC right now. It's also large enough to be able to handle the added weight of detailing, but not so large as to require a 3 car garage workshop, a dedicated transport trailer, or an endless bank account.

Good building!!

Scott
Old 03-20-2008, 06:12 PM
rustypep
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like this scale as well which is why I still have a BT Corsair next on my list after the Spit. I will be watching this one with interest. I like the birdcage option as well. Maybe I will change my mind (again!)
Old 03-20-2008, 08:48 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Count me in Luke!!

I havent even finished my TF GS Corsair, but I like the sound of this. I have a NIB OS BGX-1 that I bought a LONG time ago. I am sure you will be making the other components (ie cowl, canopy, cockpit kit, etc) available? I still have ALL the goodies you made for the CMP Hellcat but never incorporated them on my CMP Cat as I was too far along and didn't want to "waste" them on a not-too-scale plane. I have since bought another Hellcat and plan to mod it as you did (ie shorten the wing to a more scale length) and add your accessories to it. At any rate, I am up and ready - I also have a NIB 60 size Royal Corsair that I can personally refer to. Where might one obtain these PDF files?

randy
Old 03-20-2008, 08:49 PM
ReaperGrim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 03-20-2008, 08:59 PM
ReaperGrim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 03-20-2008, 09:44 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 03-20-2008, 10:40 PM
ReaperGrim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 03-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Riddle4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pappy the squadron hasn't all checked in yet. Skipper, what is the roster? Cowl plug looks to follow Paul Matt's profile.. nice. This'll be fun. I hope I'm not laying it on too thick here, just enthused..lol ! What thinks you of my choice of direction? Interested to here what everybody else is thinking on theirs.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:24 AM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BLACKSHEEP-4 CHECKING IN SIR!!!!!!!!

Got my PC BOARD, plans for the tailwheel (thanks LUKE), brass coming (thx Randy aka BLACKSHEEP-3) and tools (thx LOWES) for the tailwheel build!
It is going to be late nights ,,,but looks like REAPERGRIM really has a "WINNER" here!!!!!

Love the BENT BLUEs!!!!!!!!!!!!

-BLACKSHEEP-4
Old 03-21-2008, 12:39 AM
SMUGator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks like someone has been on a deleting frenzy here.

If you want to check in on the progress that a few of the original "Blacksheep", look here - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7335038/tm.htm

Tom
Old 03-21-2008, 01:09 AM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 03-21-2008, 01:24 AM
Riddle4U

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nemisis 4U, thanks for checking in (this is all tongue in cheek). I think Pappy set the precedent on setting paramaters for our goals (see above-I just followed his example). Can't wait to here your ideas! -Eric BTW Nothing intended Heirarchically by the check-in number (purely arbitrary)..ha ha ha. I just ran into the thread first, but I like this silly thing of formally checking-in, don't you? I look forward to knowing all participating! Pappy's gonna run a taught ship! p.s would you possibly follow his example on your thoughts for your ship?

Pappy, the likeness of your pilot to the great Greg, is crazy. I, at best, am closely related to this "Miller" fellow. Where on Earth?
Old 03-21-2008, 07:09 AM
rwright142

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Blacksheep 5 reporting as ordered sir! Now where's my damn beer!!!

I will be modeling my -1A after Bob McClurg - a lowly Second Lieutenant when he joined VMF-214. He downed seven Japanese aircraft. I chose Bob because I have his autograph on the famous squadron picture.

Details will include the usual retractable gear, working flaps, etc. plus:
- Canopy will open/close
- Pilot's head and arms will move when aileron, elevator, and throttle move
- Detailed cockpit
- Earl's mains and tailwheel

I'll model mine after #883 that Bob flew and added his own personal markings "Martha, victory flags, etc". As a Blacksheep he participated in the intense combat in the Russell Islands, New Georgia, New Britain, New Ireland, and Bouganville areas. He also flew many missions as Pappy's wingman. McClurg bagged his first Zeke on September 16, 1943, and he attained ace status by December of that year. His final victory tally was 7 confirmed and 2 probable aerial victories. Following his combat tour in the Pacific, he attended Marine Air Infantry School at Quantico, Virginia, Engineering Officers School at Memphis, Tennessee, and finally trained future Corsair pilots at Cherry Point, North Carolina. Following his service career, Bob earned a Masters of Arts degree in Business Administration from the University of Pittsburgh. He retired from the Corp. as a Lt. Colonel. He is the recipient of numerous decorations including five Distinguished Flying Crosses, eight Air Medals, and two Presidential Unit Citations.

I'm excited about the group build. I have decided to delay my BT build in favor of this one.

Luke, you can save time & money sending me a CD if you can email me the drawings. You have my address.

Name:	Tq48612.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	909303  
Old 03-21-2008, 09:29 AM
ReaperGrim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 03-21-2008, 10:17 AM
rwright142

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ReaperGrim
Remember, no drinking while you build, I'm the only one that can do that. Richard, that means I can fly your plane sometimes! Great choice on your project!

I have an extra tail wheel, it kills me to have to build another one but I have to build the short version if I’m to do an accurate Boyington plane. If there is someone interested in the longer tail wheel I will consider selling it for $80 to one of my Blacksheep. I’ll finish painting it today and I’ll post some pictures.

Richard I will email your set this morning.
You can fly it anytime. If we lived closer I'd let you maiden it!

If no one else is interested in the tw I may be. I'll have to check to see if BuNo 17833 was one fitted or modified with the taller one. I'm not pleased with the one I have (pictures attached).

I got the plans and can read them fine. I'll look around here for an Office Max.

First question regarding the build: is a short wood kit available? One that has the main wing, and maybe ribs and formers, etc.? Now that I've moved into a temporary home, all of my tools are in storage. I could try to dig them out and may have to but it was worth asking.

Name:	Sq47719.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	909423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29487.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	909424  
Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 AM
ReaperGrim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 03-21-2008, 11:38 AM
rwright142

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm not a very good mechanical kind of guy but I will give it a try. I will definitely need to ask more questions about it, but that's the great thing about RCU!

I have a Dremel and a high wattage soldering gun, but the problem is trying to find them. For the move to our temporary home, the Mrs. and her brother packed everything and put it in storage. Even though I asked to keep my tools close at hand and easy to find they ended up getting buried! Geez... Oh well, I couldn't complain too much since they basically did most of the moving while I was at work. But, I made sure I got all of my plane stuff first tho hahaha

I found a local Kinko's that will print the plans for .50 sq ft.
That is approximately 138 sq ft (depending on how they cut) or $69. Here is how I arrived at that and correct me if I am wrong (I rounded everything up):
Page Temp00019 - 36.0 x 77.6 (rounded up to 78) = 21 sq ft
Page Temp00020 - 36.0 x 77.0 (rounded up to 78) = 21 sq ft
Page Temp00021 - 36.0 x 77.8 (rounded up to 78) = 21 sq ft
Page Temp00022 - 36.0 x 77.7 (rounded up to 78) = 21 sq ft
Page Temp00023 - 36.0 x 98.4 (rounded up to 100) = 27 sq ft
Page Temp00024 - 30.0 x 97.6 (rounded up to 36 x 100) = 27 sq ft

Anyway, I'm excited to be a member of the squadron and am looking forward to the pictures of everyone's progress.
Are you planning on specifying the building steps? For example, build the fuselage first, elevators, etc. or is everyone just going to do their own thing?
I'd prefer to watch the experts first then attempt it...
Old 03-21-2008, 12:10 PM
ReaperGrim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 03-21-2008, 12:25 PM
rwright142

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One of the things about this group build that will be beneficial to me is that some may have items for sale, or willingness to offer them, to help the others. Not everyone has the time or talent to make pieces or parts that they would like to have, like canopy, cowl, oil coolers, etc., whereas someone may be willing to sell or make them to help the others. It is certainly acceptable, IMO, to ask for reimbursement for the time, labor, and materials. $5 is more than fair and you certainly deserve it, considering all the time and effort you have put into it.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Luke, are you working directly from the enlarged Royal plans or have you redrawn the Corsair in CAD? If you are looking at having parts laser cut I may be able to be of service and would be willing to work out a trade of some sorts for parts to build a Corsair of my own. Let me know if you're interested.

Chad Veich

PS - OK, I just went back and re-ready your original post and I see you have the plans in PDF format. If your're interested I may be able to redraw the necessary parts in CAD so that they can be laser cut.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.