Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Starter giant scale warbird, PT 19?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Starter giant scale warbird, PT 19?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 03:23 AM
Flyer49er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter giant scale warbird, PT 19?

Have been interested in giant scale and warbirds. Since only flying this past year, I am relatively new to this sport. I have put together 4 ARFs and still consider myself a novice flyer. I have always wanted "bigger and badder" ie warbird. Experienced flyers have told me to stay away from the P 51s and hve recommended H9's PT 19. Price has dropped $100 and it looks to good to pass up. A Saito 150 seems to be a good combo for this plane. Would like to get this and put together during the dreary month of March and have ready for this flying season.

I would like to add some scale realism with pilots. Heard the landing gear blocks were soft, and the wheels were too large for scale ?

Appreciate any input or experience on this plane . How about any building or setup preferences, ie prop, servos, spinners, struts etc.
Old 03-11-2002, 05:49 AM
Fighterpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default PT-19

A friend of mine has one already built with a G-23 and painted silver so it doesn't look like all the rest. His price is very reasonable and he needs to get rid of it because he needs the room. It has two pilots, instrument panel and Robart struts. Go to nomacnews.com and look under the classified section. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:42 AM
Flyer49er

Personally, I need to build this plane. It would be my first giant scale and warbird. Hope to learn more with each model.
Used models are fine but I am just not ready for them at this time , if you know wha I mean...

Any tips for this model?
Old 03-12-2002, 01:55 PM
budcop
My Feedback: (23)

Default H-9 PT-19

I assembled and flew one of these when they first came out, would be a very nice step up for you, mine had a saito 150, as with all Hanger 9 ARF's , excellent quality, the model flew very nice!!! Bud..
Old 03-12-2002, 04:53 PM
Fighterpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default Building 1st Warbird

Flyer49er, You are going about it in the right way. I really don't like buying other people's airplanes because you really never know what you have unless you know the builder and his work. I rarely purchase an already completed airplane unless I am in need immediately because of a recent loss, the price has to be extremely right, and I know the quality of the work of the builder.
I almost enjoy building them and get as much satisfaction out of that as flying them well.
You've got to love this hobby.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:10 AM
Flyer49er

Budcop,

Do you recall if you used the stock one servo "y" pushrod for the elevator or did you use double servos? Also did you use the stock tires(5.25) or go with lighter , smaller tires(4.5) ?

Flyer49er
Old 03-17-2002, 01:44 AM
mproptwo
My Feedback: (4)

Default H9 PT19

Hello, Anyone that has the Hanger 9 documentation for the PT 19 willing to post the recommended CG location? I have one that I bought used and while it flys well it also feels subject to spin and wild stalls like it might be tail heavy. It balances very close to 33% of the wing chord and appears Ok but it just doesn't feel right in the air. Any other thoughts? Thanks
Old 03-18-2002, 03:56 AM
Flyer49er

Default Balancing H9 PT 19

mproptwo (cool monicker),

Manual recommends C.G. at 4 13/16" from leading edge of wing at fuselage.

Also this is supposed to be a stable flying plane. Check these control throw recommendations:

Aileron 3/8" lo 5/8" hi

Elevator 5/9" lo 1" hi

Rudder 1" lo 2 1/8" hi

Hope this helps.

Better airtime,

Flyer49er
Old 03-18-2002, 04:25 PM
mproptwo
My Feedback: (4)

Default H9 PT19

Hi Flyer49er, Thanks for the info on the PT19! I will compare my setup to the information you provided and see if anything needs tweaked. The plane flys well but doesn't leave me feeling that it flys like that design should. Hard to explain. Anyway thanks again, Mproptwo
Old 03-18-2002, 05:14 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PT-19'S ARE A GREAT CHOICE FOR A FIRST WARBIRD HOWEVER I RECOMEND GOING WITH A GAS ENGINE BECAUSE OF COST OF RUNNING AND MESS. THOSE 120-180 GLOW FOURSTROKES LOVE FUEL.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:22 AM
glalderman
My Feedback: (9)

I'm running mine with a RCS 140 Gas. Plenty of power...will knife edge all day!...well Ok maybe not all day!
Old 03-21-2002, 02:45 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default H9 PT-19 Gasser

I "built" and flew one for two years with a G-23 with various mods. One of the guy's at "the other club" did one with a G-38 in it, had to move the fire wall back, it was fast...
Let me know if anyone want's details on the G-23 version, I put the servos in the tail.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:26 PM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

Default PT19

HEY FLYER49ER
WHERE DO YOU FLY?
I'M JUST NORTH OF THE GREEN BAY AREA...MAYBE WE COULD GET TOGETHER AND FLY. I HAVE A COUPLE OF GIANT SCALE PLANES TO FLY THIS UPCOMING SUMMER.
TOM
Old 03-25-2002, 02:05 AM
bentgear

Hi Carlos
Building a PT-19 with G23 and have the wing complete and studying putting the servo's in the tail so I don't have to add a bunch of lead. Anything you can pass on will be most appreciated.
Ed M.
Old 03-25-2002, 05:16 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi ED,
This plane was my first "gasser" and I had a lot of fun with it.
The only thing about this plane that was a pain is the narrow cowl, I had to install the stock muffler and B&B velocity stack AFTER the cowl was mounted. Over time I went through a couple of cowls due to nose-overs and while picking up my third one from my LHS I found a nice PITTS style muffler from Slimline.
I still had to cut a very small hole in the cowl for clearance of the foreward corner of the muffler but the installation problem was sloved and a power increase was noted. The B&B velocity stack makes priming easier and keeps raw fuel from blowing back down the fuse while running. You still have to install the stack after the cowl is in place. Pick up longer "allen" head screws from the hardware store to replace the factory carb screws.
Move the servo tray back to below the rear cockpit for the throttle and kill switch servos (kill switch optional) and use Ny-rod for the throttle. The battery goes under the front cockpit and the receiver is tucked into the rear fuse (behind the rear cockpit).
Elevator servos are mounted on each side of the fuse with the foreward end of each servo even with the leading edge of the horizontal stab and about one inch below.
The rudder servo is mounted behind one of the elev. servos (you choose) and one inch below. Cut the holes for the servos to slide into snuggly, drill pilot holes through all the mounting holes and remove the servos. Drill out all the holes to accept yellow ny-rod (inner) cut a dozen 1/4" pieces and c/a them into place.
Mount the servos, make your pushrods and your set to go.
With this installation there is just enough room for standard servos for the elevators to fit "butt to butt" in the fuse with out interference.
Remember, receiver and servos in a gasser must be at least twelve inches back from the fire wall due to the "RF" interference from the engine. Also, after going through two of the fancy-smanchy after market tail wheel units I remounted the rudder with the supplied tail wheel, no muss, no fuss.
I mounted a 35mm film can to the bottom of the engine box (upside down) and filled it 3/4 full of led shot and some foam to keep it from jumping around in order to balance it. Hard landings and outside snap rolls and the lid never popped off.
This plane lands better with a little speed and on the mains rather than a flair landing.
Old 03-25-2002, 02:13 PM
bentgear

Default PT-19

Thanks Carlos,
Guess the muffler was a 2102S? Thats the only one I could find listed at their site. Thats got to look a lot better than the black glob hanging out the side. Wonder how good a G23 will smoke?
Since you had to add the weight to the front I may leave the rudder servo in place and use pull/pull on it.
I too have used the stock H9 tail wheel mount on several planes and have not found a problem with it.
Ed M.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:18 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Great Planes PT-19

Just finished one of these - one word describes the kit - BEAUTIFUL!

Now if the engine would only run :-)

Jerry
Old 03-26-2002, 02:32 AM
bentgear

Default Great Planes PT-19

Jerry,
You mean with all the engine garu's you have access too there can be a problem!!

How does it compare to the Hanger 9 version, have not had the opprotunity to look at one yet. Size wise its pretty close, right?
Ed M.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:55 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Don't know!!!!

Haven't seen a H9 yet! From the box tops, they sure do look similiar

Oh, with the OS .91, and a 'special' exhaust extension by OS, the muffler is completely hidden inside the cowl! Sure makes for a neat look 'n bird.

Don't know what happened to the engine - but ZIP in the compression department!

Jerry
Old 04-03-2002, 02:01 AM
bentgear

Default PT-19

Carlos,
Mounted the elevator servo's in the rear with rudder servo forward (pull/pull) 6" behind stock location (putting fuel tank over CG) - nose heavy.
Moved 1100 mah battery just in front of elevator servo's - nose heavy
Did away with the pull/pull and mounted the rudder servo behind the elevator servo's - just about right.

If we don't get rain Wednesday maybe I can get off in time to test it out.

Ed
Old 04-04-2002, 04:25 AM
perfectplanes
My Feedback: (133)

Default PT19

Bud Williams,

Good to hear from you again. I think I am the one who bought your PT19 a few years back. You really did a great job of building that bird. A really sweet flier, great trainer for large birds. Bud I kept the the Saito 150 and traded the plane for a Byron Ryan. I put the 150 in a Dynaflite DHC1 Chipmunk. It too is a sweet flier!

Take care!