Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Anyone flying a VQ 109?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Anyone flying a VQ 109?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:17 PM
ErikElvis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone flying a VQ 109?

Just wondering if you had any tips for building. Pics would be nice too. How do they fly? Ive looked for pics or threads about them but have come up empty.

Thanks,
Erik
Old 04-16-2008, 09:13 PM
mboland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone flying a VQ 109?

There are a few of threads on the VQ ME-109.

Mine went together so quickly and easily that I did not get to take any pics until it was out at the field.

They fly very nicely, stable - goes where you point it, and can be quite quick with the right motor.

I put a Saito 72 in mine and it has plenty of power. The Spring Air 85deg retracts were also worth the effort, no muss no fuss.
I am really over mechanical retracts.

She glides beautifully, in fact you have to be careful of the float as she will reach the end of the strip quite quickly without touching down if come in too hot.
Very easy to land, very little tendency to bounce or ground loop (unlike the Texan but that's another story).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27299.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	931035  
Old 04-16-2008, 09:29 PM
ErikElvis

Thanks. I ordered mine with the magnum 70 4 stroke. Hopefully shes quick. Im going to use the mechanical retracts it comes with and she how they do.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

for more photos and order online at:

www.vqwarbirds.com

-CHEERS!

TOMAS
Old 04-18-2008, 12:46 PM
ErikElvis

Thanks Tomas but mine is already on the way from you!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:55 PM
ErikElvis

Ok guys I need some help on this. I was attempting to get started on the 109 tonight but instantly hit a snag. The instructions show for the use of 1 aileron servo. But there is no place for it in the wing. Is it really set up for dual servos on the outer wing? Also I just bought the JR9303 tx with the 4 ds821 servos. Any reccomendations on where to use these 4 and what additional ones would b good to use for the additional servos? And Im assuming with dual servos it can be set up for the "flaperon" option. How would you go about doing that. Sorry for the questions Im a noob.

Thanks,

Erik

oh and I will be using the mechanical retracts that came with the kit.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:50 PM
ErikElvis

Anyone?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:36 PM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found one of the VQ ME-109 build threads for you, here it is:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_69..._ME-109/tm.htm

In this thread the aileron servos are mounted out in the wing and drive the ailerons directly. Is yours not like this? Perhaps there is a hole for mounting that is covered over and you simply need to cut away the covering and mount the servo. It should be just ahead of the aileron.

I'm not familiar with JR servos, but standard size/power servos should work fine. Something around 35 - 45 oz. of torque. As for flaperons, you don't want to do that with 'barn-door' type ailerons. With both ailerons dropped for a 'flap' configuration the wing will be MUCH more likely to have a tip stall. This is where the tip of the wing stalls before the root does, causing the plane to flip over and dive into the ground just as you are about to land! No fun!
Old 04-26-2008, 07:47 AM
skrez
My Feedback: (15)

Hi,
I build the VQ 109, yes you need to cut the covering away on the wings to mount servos . Look at the instuctions for the apox. location for the servos , they are far in-board on the alierons .
Frank
Old 04-26-2008, 03:49 PM
ErikElvis

Thanks guys. The instructions say to mount one servo in the middle of the 2 wings unless Im reading it wrong. And thats what the pics look like. But I do see the servo spots on the outer wings so Ill be going that route. Theres no way to mount 1 airelon servo for both sides without extensive cutting.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:31 PM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: ErikElvis

Thanks guys. The instructions say to mount one servo in the middle of the 2 wings unless Im reading it wrong. And thats what the pics look like. But I do see the servo spots on the outer wings so Ill be going that route. Theres no way to mount 1 airelon servo for both sides without extensive cutting.
Just opened my 109 today. Mine also has a single aileron servo in the centre of the wing. Unless someone can advise that the wing has suitable positions/reinforcing to take two servos I'll be staying with a single.

My old trainer has run a single aileron servo for the last 5 years, often at warp speed (over powered) and with full aileron flutter, so I have no doubt a single servo would be sufficient for the 109 with its smaller wing.