Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

should I grab this plane?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

should I grab this plane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:44 PM
victorzamora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: should I grab this plane?

You know, most people I'd definitely say screw the warbird to...and I'm glad everyone is saying the same thing. I just think that if four pages of people saying "No" isn't going to change his mind, let him! If he crashes, he crashes...maybe he'll listen to all of us and put that equipment in a low-wing trainer and fly its wings off before going on to something harder. If he succeeds, good for him! If he just lets everyone know that he's going to fly, and lets them know that he's only flown a couple of times and that they better watch out....then let him. Pete, I've gotta say PLEASE be careful and don't hit any people/planes/cars/anything expensive. I'm going out on a limb here by saying be careful and hope for the best. I hope you read all of the keys to success when it comes to flying/landing warbirds and take them to heart with a little bit of humility when you're flying it.

I faced this attitude when I was riding motorcycles. I had been riding for 3 months, from first try to first Enduro. My dad's friend, the guy I went with, told him I wouldn't stand a chance. I wasn't leading the pack, but they knew where to go! I was, however, better off than a couple of those guys that had been riding for several years. And for the G-Pete asking about competitions, I competed internationally within two months of that. I won my first race not even 3 months after that. Not only that, I was the heaviest guy on the second smallest bike in my class. I was 6'5" 225 riding a Yamaha WR200, while the average rider was 5'8" 140 riding 250's. Yes, they were different bikes because it was an unlimited amateur class (anyone riding anything without a sponsor). I then moved up to the 250- class (anything 250 or less) and still had a lot of success. I'm not bragging...but I was the underdog in every aspect (except my ability to learn quickly, the fact that I really have great endurance, and more brute strength than the smaller riders) and still came out on top. If I would've listened to the "no, please, don't...you'll fail" I wouldn't have gained my sponsors! Yeah, I'm a kid. I'm 18, but how many of you would've guessed that based on previous comments?? All I'm saying is that inexperience isn't always a hindrance. I raced my heart out every second of every race because they told me I couldn't do it. I did my best because I knew I wasn't supposed to be able to succeed.

Point of points....nothing is going to change his mind. Let him. Enjoy the video. Give him pointers. If he succeeds where you said he'll fail, there's a bigger "I told you so" than the one you'd give him!!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Pete

Fly the P-47 and get that F4u Corsair enjoy the Hobby life is short go have some fun.

Kinda like U are on here playing with the Guys................

Ian
Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Pete737

ORIGINAL: Flyjets

Pete

Fly the P-47 and get that F4u Corsair enjoy the Hobby life is short go have some fun.

Kinda like U are on here playing with the Guys................

Ian
Oh, I'm definitely gonna have fun!

I wouldn't play games. I'm somewhat fecicious but certainly not patronizing. Just being real.

Pete

I'm not arrogant, I'm superior.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:35 PM
victorzamora

Did you mean facetious, by any chance?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:36 PM
willey
My Feedback: (32)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OOOH-BOY - Here we go again![X(][X(][X(][X(]

Since this is "kind'a like" A Warbird Thread, but filled with "lots" of entertainment - thought we'd through in some commercials every now & then to kinda break things up a bit till the BIG DAY.

Not enough pics on here! Pete I hope your old enough for this stuff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71716.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	954405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61238.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	954406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93133.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	954407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15513.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	954408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64566.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	954409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91688.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	954410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83091.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	954411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10832.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	954412  

Old 05-21-2008, 10:44 PM
AudioMixer
My Feedback: (3)

I gotta chime in too. I'm not an old, angry, grumpy RC flyboy, but I'm on their side with this one.
Pete, you fall into at least two of the following categories:
Young
Proud
Inappropriately Confident
Foolish
Really Cocky (and skilled to back it up)

Remember, land on the wheels.... not the prop. I second the plastic bag in fuse idea... post gravity effect transport.

CHECK THIS BEFORE YOU FLY IT PETE!!!!!:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4275706&key=call+a+crash]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4275706&key=call+a+crash[/link]

Stuff happens. Be SAFE! Please!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:57 PM
willey
My Feedback: (32)

[X(]5 pages in 3 days - that might be a record on RCU?? what ya think Ian?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:47 PM
AudioMixer

ORIGINAL: willey

[X(]5 pages in 3 days - that might be a record on RCU?? what ya think Ian?
Record arrogance calls for record response.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:15 AM
ErikElvis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for it. Let someone else take it up first and watch what they do. Bring it down, refuel, and just practice settingup landings over and over again till you feel comfortable to bring it in one time. Just dont pitch that prop into the ground!
Old 05-22-2008, 07:34 AM
carlbecker

His club members think he is ready to fly anything. He should have done the maiden on the P-47 first as by most reads its a better starter for warbirds. It’s all absolutely relative.

This thread will be a great experience for all.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:56 AM
G-Pete

ORIGINAL: Pete737
Pete
I'm not arrogant, I'm superior

…I have just always been light years ahead of everyone...
Pete

Is that because you start out with a “Plug and play†airplane?
Is that because you know squat about gas engines?
Is that because you know squat about servos and landing gears?

In the last few weeks you asked some questions, pretty behind for someone who is “light years aheadâ€.

There is a conflict – a person who is “light years ahead†and superior would not ask these questions here on RCU.

Now, if you come back and say – I knew already the answers, you made out everyone who answered (including me) a fool!

Happy landings

G-Pete

BTW: VW Passat / windshield stitches in the nose, there is a device attached to the car body and it called SEATBELT.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:58 AM
TFF

Before simulators, I saw a pilot survive a hardheaded first flight but crashed later as he did not have ll the skills; a DC10 pilot went through 10 hanger 9 p-51s untill he got a trainer; I taught a guy that could 3D a foamy but could not T/O or land. The sad thing is these people dont stay in the hobby long as the hobby is the fight not the models. AS for the Cub in the video it was so over powered that it could fly without the wings; if it could have been done with conserved throttle say below 1/2 then I would say ok. The Corsair will survive the first flight; it wont 10.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:03 AM
G-Pete

ORIGINAL: ErikElvis
just dont pitch that prop into the ground!
Looks like he already did, check out the propeller........

Happy landings
G-Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64995.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	954559  
Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I think I remember this guy. A few years back there was the "I can fly anything" kid. Because he flew a firebird and he wanted a warbird right now. Same attitude. This is a troll guys.
Edwin
Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Pete737

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

ORIGINAL: Pete737
Pete
I'm not arrogant, I'm superior

…I have just always been light years ahead of everyone...
Pete

Is that because you start out with a “Plug and play†airplane?
Is that because you know squat about gas engines?
Is that because you know squat about servos and landing gears?

In the last few weeks you asked some questions, pretty behind for someone who is “light years aheadâ€.

There is a conflict – a person who is “light years ahead†and superior would not ask these questions here on RCU.

Now, if you come back and say – I knew already the answers, you made out everyone who answered (including me) a fool!

Happy landings

G-Pete

BTW: VW Passat / windshield stitches in the nose, there is a device attached to the car body and it called SEATBELT.
Now now. I never said speciffically what i was lightyears ahead in. But since you obviously want to know, here's what I think.

If I have one god given gift (I'm actually atheist, but I'll stop there) its the ability to control a device , vehicle or pretty much anything els by manipulating controls. On the job they call me " the operator" cause the first time on any type of new equipment I look like I've been doing it for years.

My overall knowlege base in RC is kind of irrelevant.

Pete

Old 05-22-2008, 09:09 AM
andernamen

Hey Pete,

Just an aside, the P-47 is generally regarded as one of the easiest of all Warbirds to fly. If you get through the Corsair with no problems, don't worry too much about the P-47. Maybe you should even consider flying the P-47 first. Just a thought. Good luck, and true Warbird fans are all pulling for you! We hate to see one crash!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:31 AM
G-Pete

alright, then for what you waiting for???

[link=https://secure.military.com/leads/Recruiting/Army_Recruiting_DVD.htm?ESRC=ggl_rec_armydvd.kw]click here[/link]
Old 05-22-2008, 09:37 AM
carlbecker

I know its out of context but post #80 :

"Just for the record, I take everything in and chew on it. I know you guys have been in this along time. It's just that I know me, I have seen a trend in my abilities my whole life, To many examples to name. I have just always been light years ahead of everyone. I'm sorry if that seems like cockyness but every so often I have to choose being honest over modest "

I believe this to be false "My overall knowlege base in RC is kind of irrelevant. "

A trainer gives a pilot a starting point for a knowledge base in RC.

You have more god given talents than just being an "operator", honestly[8D]

Have fun enjoy life as I am enjoying this thread
Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Pete737

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

alright, then for what you waiting for???

[link=https://secure.military.com/leads/Recruiting/Army_Recruiting_DVD.htm?ESRC=ggl_rec_armydvd.kw]click here[/link]
LOL!!

I almost had an aneurysm!

Oh. Serious question here. I'm deciding on a powerplant for my seagull super star. My lhs has a saito 125 4 stroke that I would like to use. I dont need world class performance right now. Can I use it. What do you think.

When I'm taxiing my p-47 my hands are sweaty and my thumbs are shaky and my $&@hole is tiny. I do t think I could maiden her as a first warbird. But after a few dozen touch and goes on the corsair..... I've even hear the superstar exibits some fairly challenging behavior on landing. Hmmmm. If I get that saito she could be RTF by Sunday.

Pete

Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Axel40

This one could run and run

OK, chain pulling aside, if you get the Corsair when are you likely to fly this? (if you're gonna)

Have a good maiden, I know what they are like as I'm new to the hobby and had to do a few recently as I love my Warbirds and can't stop buying em

I have another to do next week [8D]
Old 05-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

This will probably fall on deaf ears but the saito 125 is going to give marginal acrobatic performance on that plane. It will fly it but I wouldn't match those two together.

Also, unless you have a lot of help I probably wouldnt recomend a Saito 125. While not difficult to work with it is generally better to learn with 2 strokes before going to 4 strokes. The Saito 125 is not a cheap engine and it would be a shame to burn it up because you dont know how to tune it. Also, if you dont know how to tune it properly it will through a prop. 16 inch props flying through the air is pretty dangerous.

Also, the idea of a B25 is not a good one either. Not only is it a warbird but a twin warbird. Twins are not easy even for a lot of veteran pilots. Even beyond your ability to fly you need to know how to tune an engine well. No amount of sim time helps with that. You just need to burn fuel and learn how to operate an engine.

I also tend to think that the p47 might even be easier to fly than the corsair. Its bigger and its a P47.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:37 AM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

"Oh. Serious question here. "

Probably a waste of time now. I would be amazed if theres anyone left here who takes you the least bit seriously. I, for one, think you are a total joke. If I were you, and you want any help, Id make a new account, and learn the meaning of humble.

And from now I will stay out of it.

Gotta give you props though on one of the best troll attempts Ive seen. (and by props, I'm reffering to the one that looke like a drooping moustache in the pic of the P-47)

(edit for a bit of levity)
Old 05-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: BadSplice

Probably a waste of time now. I would be amazed if theres anyone left here who takes you the least bit seriously. I, for one, think you are a total joke. If I were you, and you want any help, Id make a new account, and learn the meaning of humble.

Gotta give you props though on one of the best troll attempts Ive seen.
I was thinking the same thing. There is no doubt you enjoy getting everyone riled up... Whether you think its justified or not under Pete737 I dont think you will get much help here on RCU as you have alienated most of us.

I can think of several guys in the past that would do the same type of thing and they just eventually disappear.... some of you longtime posters know who those guys are.

I agree with badsplice... I am out of this one
Old 05-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Pete737

I dont know what your problem is but getting laid will probably help.

Pete

Old 05-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Pete737

ORIGINAL: Gringo Flyer

I was thinking the same thing. There is no doubt you enjoy getting everyone riled up... Whether you think its justified or not under Pete737 I dont think you will get much help here on RCU as you have alienated most of us.

I can think of several guys in the past that would do the same type of thing and they just eventually disappear.... some of you longtime posters know who those guys are.

I agree with badsplice... I am out of this one
Well thanks for the help anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.