Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 08:37 AM
j301
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RBean, thanks for the reply about the wheels, thats helpful info. What was the ID, or OD, of the tubes you used for cooling? I found a decent place for s.s. flex hose ( http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_ite...FlexTube050-Ft ) but not sure to go with the 1/2" or 3/4".

flyrcjets, glad to hear a positive outcome for you, makes me a tad less nervous (and I just lost my 120 size F4U yesterday on its maiden, its hard to work past that mental "Im doomed" sometimes!) I came "this close" to making mine electric too, and who knows, if this one turns out perhaps there could be an electric version in the future.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:12 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderBoat42
I am using YS 20/20 or Heli fuel... Yes, the Biela is a wide blade prop. Seems to work out from good 2 blade minus 5 in combination of pitch and/or diameter to maintain equal rpm. But it SURE Looks good too. :-) I've got my engine back off trying to get the vibration isolation mounts added and larger fuel tank. Seems every weekend my daughter has had a house full of tweens slowing the shop time down. (I'm a full time Mr. Mom). with the pool now ready... Dad time in the shop is precious.
This propeller would work on my OS 1.08 if the pitch was "6" instead of "8". I had my suspicions before I even purchased the prop however I took the gamble and lost. Now I have a four bladed spinner and a prop for display only.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:25 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by j301
RBean, thanks for the reply about the wheels, thats helpful info. What was the ID, or OD, of the tubes you used for cooling? I found a decent place for s.s. flex hose ( http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_ite...FlexTube050-Ft ) but not sure to go with the 1/2" or 3/4".

flyrcjets, glad to hear a positive outcome for you, makes me a tad less nervous (and I just lost my 120 size F4U yesterday on its maiden, its hard to work past that mental "Im doomed" sometimes!) I came "this close" to making mine electric too, and who knows, if this one turns out perhaps there could be an electric version in the future.
Man, that sucks! I hate hearing about a crash but it's even worse when it's on the maiden flight. I lost my P-40 3 years ago on it's maiden flight so I know how you feel. It's bad when you spend all that time, energy and cash on an airplane, even when it's an ARF, only to crash and burn on the first flight. That was when I decided to never form an emotional attachment to any airplane, they all have an expiration date.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:53 AM
j301

Originally Posted by KaP2011
That was when I decided to never form an emotional attachment to any airplane, they all have an expiration date.
I agree, but its like buying milk, you at least want that date not to be the day you buy it!
Old 05-16-2014, 09:55 AM
flycatch

A maiden flight is always the time to cross your fingers'. A month ago I maiden my H9 Super Cub and all appeared to be fine until I landed. Due to the prevailing winds I decided not to turn the model around with the engine running. I proceeded to walk up to it and as I was doing so the throttle came up and the plane took off at a 60 degree angle. I pushed forward on the stick and too my surprise it responded. Once level I check all controls and found out the throttle was not responding. I flew around for about 10 minutes before it ran out of fuel and made a uneventful landing. I thought for sure the throttle servo had failed however the ball link linkage assembly had separated from the throttle arm are on the carburetor.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:49 AM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, FLY.... I've gat an assortment of Zinger 4 blade assemblies... PM me you address and I'll send you a package to try. It's probably the really wide blade on the Biela that's working it down. I've been sitting on them for over a year for the YS120 on a Goldberg Extra 300 but haven't gotten around to building it yet. Don't see doing it for a while either. If a set up works out we'll work out a trade or something. I just want to see you successful in reaching the goal. :-)

Originally Posted by flycatch
This propeller would work on my OS 1.08 if the pitch was "6" instead of "8". I had my suspicions before I even purchased the prop however I took the gamble and lost. Now I have a four bladed spinner and a prop for display only.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:47 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Originally Posted by KaP2011
That's great! I had thought of converting mine to electric but changed my mind after thinking it through. I remember reading back in the thread that Top Flite had put battery cooling vents in but I don't remember if a battery hatch is already there in the fuse somewhere. I would like to see some pictures of your setup.
The previous owner used a Saito, so I converted it to electric but luckily TF put a hatch in place, all I had to do was cut it out from inside.
Sorry about your loss, that hurts...

Last edited by flyrcjets; 05-16-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:06 PM
flycatch

Thanks for the offer however my goal was to fly with a scale propeller.
Originally Posted by ThunderBoat42
Hey, FLY.... I've gat an assortment of Zinger 4 blade assemblies... PM me you address and I'll send you a package to try. It's probably the really wide blade on the Biela that's working it down. I've been sitting on them for over a year for the YS120 on a Goldberg Extra 300 but haven't gotten around to building it yet. Don't see doing it for a while either. If a set up works out we'll work out a trade or something. I just want to see you successful in reaching the goal. :-)
Old 05-17-2014, 03:53 PM
flycatch

For those adding dead weight to move the CG forward may I recommend replacing the supplied spinner with a TrueTurn P-51 4" diameter. I did this because I replace my 3.5 diameter Robart wheels with Robart 3.25 and by doing so I shifted the CG aft. Another suggestion would be if your looking for more realism that use a prepainted XOAR propeller in aluminum or black finish.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:48 AM
Poitivin

Hi
I've order one of this double jam adapters (Tru Turn #0823A written on post #25) for a Saito FG17 that I'm setting up on the Mustang. The Bolt SHCS that comes with the TF kit does not fit on such adapter...do you know if the Bolts from Tru Turn hex 10/32 2 1/2'' fit on the spinner without modifying the spinner ?

Last edited by Poitivin; 06-26-2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Missed some info
Old 05-22-2014, 08:09 PM
j301

So I have finally un-boxed mine and started sorting parts out. Here is how it looks so far:

Man you can see the Great-Flite lineage in this one! Spent about 40 min. mauling the left wing panel with a two pronged iron/heat-gun offensive before just giving up for the night. Its as bad, or worse then my PT17 was! Hope its not indicative of what's to come.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Chinese_Shar_Pei2.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1997572  
Old 05-23-2014, 04:29 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Stick it in the oven for a while! Still pondering if I should get one or not. Toss up between this and the GS one.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:53 AM
Aiden88
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acdii
Stick it in the oven for a while! Still pondering if I should get one or not. Toss up between this and the GS one.
If you can afford a giant sized one I would go that route. Bigger is better after all.

However... I just maidened mine the other night and she's a beautiful machine. No bad tendencies and landing was nailed with the help of a little Expo... Love it!
Old 05-23-2014, 04:10 PM
flyrcjets

Originally Posted by flyrcjets
The previous owner used a Saito, so I converted it to electric but luckily TF put a hatch in place, all I had to do was cut it out from inside.
Sorry about your loss, that hurts...
here is the motor setup I used
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P51.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	553.7 KB
ID:	1997745  
Old 05-23-2014, 06:00 PM
flyrcjets

here is the motor setup I used
I'm wondering what would happen if I drill out the exhaust tubes on the sides? anymore air flow in there you think?
Old 05-23-2014, 06:12 PM
j301

I'm wondering what would happen if I drill out the exhaust tubes on the sides? anymore air flow in there you think?
Hmmm, it looks like it would be negligible at best, they would be pretty small holes. If you look back at post #2504 on pg 101, this is what I thought I might try to increase air flow. If there was a way to open up that back plate and keep it balanced, that might bring in a little more air too.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:50 PM
flyrcjets

Originally Posted by j301
Hmmm, it looks like it would be negligible at best, they would be pretty small holes. If you look back at post #2504 on pg 101, this is what I thought I might try to increase air flow. If there was a way to open up that back plate and keep it balanced, that might bring in a little more air too.
I just thought it would be a way for air to escape and it's pretty cool in there so far, but I like the idea of that vent . I could do that with a drill as well. I sure love the way this flies.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:21 AM
ThunderBoat42

That's actually a really good idea. I know not much but x12 they do add up. In the same spirit I put a piecr of aluminim tape on the lower back like the full scale. Lots of little holes with a brass tube in the tape then grilled out the glass. Fortunately the chin cowl vent lined up perfectly with the fuel pump mounted on the pushrod which is a critical area to keep cool on the YS. The more vent air the better. I still need to make a duct tube or scopp to pressurize the carb w cold air.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:08 AM
acdii

I stopped at my LHS Friday and they had a GP sport Stang that I got. Might not be one of these, but at least it will get me in the groove to fly the TF Kit one I am still working on. Not a bad kit either, has some wrinkles on the wing, but went together quickly. I just have to put the throttle cable in, servo, cowl and set the radio up. 4 hours is all it took to get it assembled. http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../gpma1205.html Using a Magnum 91 on it, I compared it to the OS 70 I have and its just few MM larger, and weighs about the same. At least it will give me some experience flying a warbird so I wont have problems flying the 2 kits I am building.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:03 PM
j301

That should fly pretty good acdii. I miss my first mustang, it was a H9 PTS with fixed gear, but it flew great and really "grooved" up until I clipped a power line with the left wing tip. Thats the day I learned to say "I will fly it one last time"Today"!"
Anyway, with this one I have a choice to make with the gear. A while ago I picked up some offset struts from hobby king that I thought would work (I'm using electric retracts); someone on this board mentioned using them with success earlier. Turns out I can only get a 3" wheel to fit on them. I have some strait oleo's I can use, or try and make these work with only 3" wheels. I think the strait robarts might look better then little wheels. . Any opinions?
Old 05-25-2014, 07:13 PM
acdii

I have the Robarts offset struts, but dont remember the wheel diameter I have. Anyhow, the air robarts are going to be pulled out and Wingspan retracts installed instead. I just cant get the Robarts to open and close smoothly without slamming. Looks pretty crappy when you have fully working inner doors.

Now that I have a P-51 to fly I can take my time and really put some work into this plane. The GP one I got is smaller, but looks like a Mustang, and with the Magnum 91 on it will be a rocket ship! It only weighs in at 6 pounds 9 ounces dry. Was really nose heavy so I had to open up the belly covering so I could move the battery pack as far back as I could, and added 3/4 ounce of weight. I had spare covering that matched, so that was the easiest route.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:01 PM
ThunderBoat42

I'd like to hear how it flies.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:44 PM
acdii

Well, no flight today, tank sits too high so I have to cut out the tank floor and drop it down. I flooded the engine almost immediately. I may also just get some bigger wheels for it so I can fly off grass. After problems with my Chipmunk on grass, the 51 has smaller wheels, so I just know it will be a PITA to take off and land on Grass.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:25 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I mounted my tank on the bottom of the tray that the receiver sits on using a elastic Velcro strap. It sits right on the cg now and the balance stays the same full or empty. For you electric guys there is a vent just aft of the radiator scoop that is covered over my the monokote. My Robarts work very realistically with air restrictor's and getting the needles on the valve tuned just right. One comes up then the other. I know the quality of the covering seams to vary widely, I was lucky and got one with minimum wrinkles. If it last another year I am going to strip it and glass and paint and maybe do the conversion.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:14 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my TF P-47 today, so now I have room to build the P-51. First order of business was an hour of ironing out wrinkles in the covering. All the wrinkles came out OK and it looks pretty good. I'm going to use a Valley View 20cc engine, electric retracts, and a Futaba radio.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.