Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:37 PM
tiger650
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:48 PM
devens

Bob,

That is brilliant on the mounting of the axel! I bought a 3/6" wheel collar...duhh. I guess I should have looked at the directions!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 PM
RC-CAKES
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: devens

Bob,

That is brilliant on the mounting of the axel! I bought a 3/6" wheel collar...duhh. I guess I should have looked at the directions!
No problem... Just more scale looking! I didn't like the shiny screw tips visible in the hub.

-J
Old 01-27-2009, 09:02 AM
RC-CAKES

Question for the SA-125 and FS-120 guys... I have been reading the previous posts about excessive engine vibrations- especially the Saitos. How bad is it? Have you used any dampening measures such as different mounts or rubber bushings? Any luck?
Guys using the OS engines - are you having vib issues as well?

I read where some guys servos are failing over short time or the cowling doesn't hold up. I wonder if it could be some prop balance issues as well. I know I was at the LHS recently looking at different 16" props. All but one were way off balance right out of the bag.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:17 AM
sdool

Great job on the retracts guy's. I just ordered the spring air and wheels so my job will me much easier.

Thanks
Steve
Old 01-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Upward
My Feedback: (1)

Good effort on getting these retracts to mount right. I dont think I put as much time as some of you guys, however they will work just fine.
I was wondering what kind of scale wheels that you guys are using, who is the manufacturer of them.
Here is a few pictures from last night, I just got around to starting that OS .91FX for the first time. Its really loud with that J'tec muffler, Kind of sounds like a snowmobine.
Its a good thing that my local club dosent have any noise restrictions. This engine is really a beast....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32912.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1120942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49116.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1120943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89171.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1120944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36587.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1120945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd42918.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1120946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw28606.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1120947  
Old 01-27-2009, 05:33 PM
devens

The wheels are Robart Scale Wheels. 3.25" Nice looking bird there. If you are interested in an totaly in-cowl muffler , J-Tec is custom making one for me. $90 It is supposed to ship today. I will post pics when I get it and make sure that it is right. You can contact Al at J-Tec http://www.jtecrc.com/ and tell him you want a muffler like he built for Daren Evens.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Titan176

Hey all, just a couple of questions regarding engine selection. (I hope to use a 2-stroke)

-I currently own a SuperTigre .90...never used...I've heard they can be tempermental. Is it worth installing or should I upgrade to the OS .91?

-Also regarding the Supertiger .90.....Any muffler ideas? The stock one is rediculous in size, i purchassed a bisson pitts style but it wont clear the engine mount and doesn't fit flush with the mount installed...any suggestions?

-I fly from grass the majority of the time, will the Century Jet retracts stand up to the job, with regards to reliability/strength?

Thanks in advance...[8D]
Old 01-27-2009, 09:19 PM
joey_snaproll
My Feedback: (32)

HI Titan 176,
I have 2 ST 90 G ,both with side mounted bisson pitts mufflers , I just ground the part on the muffler till the dubro iso mounts sat flat. The one in my TF corsair is running great . and the other one was in a Su-29 68" that I plowed in ,and the engine still ran great .Just take the time to set it up. OS is OS, good engines just a little more pricey. I have no complaints about my ST 90's ,but they are the older Italian ones ,not the new china ones. the extra one is going in the back of my Al masters Do-335 when I build it.

good luck with the build and engine

Joe
Old 01-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Titan176

Thanks man, appreciate it.....Which mount did you use?
Old 01-29-2009, 05:38 PM
RC-CAKES

Hey all. Has anyone installed a larger fuel tank? I saw where Maui Bobby lowered the mounting... but I am curious if anyone as used a larger one? If so, which brand/size?

Those who fly the 120-125 engines - how long of a flight is typical?

Thanks !
Old 01-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Titan176

Just wanted to post for anyone in the same boat I was. I had a pair of older pneumatic robart retracts that i bought robostruts for....needless to say a pain to put together....I never test flew it, but for the price/effort involved i was disappointed. I took a chance and dished out for the CJM Retracts. Got them in the mail today and installed them...Well worth the money, they fit and work beautifully plus minimal assembly. Now waiting to test fly them on grass, once the iceberg that is Canada thaws out. If anyone has test flown the CJM's on grass let me know thanks.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Ompa

ORIGINAL: Titan176

Just wanted to post for anyone in the same boat I was. I had a pair of older pneumatic robart retracts that i bought robostruts for....needless to say a pain to put together....I never test flew it, but for the price/effort involved i was disappointed. I took a chance and dished out for the CJM Retracts. Got them in the mail today and installed them...Well worth the money, they fit and work beautifully plus minimal assembly. Now waiting to test fly them on grass, once the iceberg that is Canada thaws out. If anyone has test flown the CJM's on grass let me know thanks.

Hi Titan176.

I have earlier built the Top Flite P51D as a Gold Edition kit, for about 7years ago. For that model I used CJM Retracts and always flow from a grass field and did not experienced any problems.
When I got my Robart #605HD with struts for about a month ago, I almost regretted that I didn’t bought the CJM retracts instead [:@]
Old 01-31-2009, 10:51 AM
tiger650

ORIGINAL: devens

Here is one of the rail doubler. I will post more with the retract installed later. The other wing didn't seem to need as much material removed from the rib but it is not complete yet.
devens,

What did you use to angle down the mounting rail. The only thing that I can think of using is a cutoff wheel, although maybe a router would work? I should have considered a doubler, but before I determined the need to grind down the rail I epoxied fiberglass cloth all over the inside...oh well.

Thanks,
bob
Old 01-31-2009, 10:42 PM
Upward

I used a dremel with small tip attachments. It worked pretty good. I realy dont know the anngle, I just kept trial fitting then untill I was happy with the results.
I have had no issues installing the robo struts, didn't even have to cut them.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:07 PM
devens

I used a cutoff wheel.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:57 AM
tiger650

ORIGINAL: Upward

I used a dremel with small tip attachments. It worked pretty good. I realy dont know the anngle, I just kept trial fitting then untill I was happy with the results.
I have had no issues installing the robo struts, didn't even have to cut them.
Upward,
Did you use the 608HD retracts with your robostruts? I must have screwed up. I am using the 608HD retracts with robostruts and I had to cut my strut down almost to the point where I would have cut the adaptor bushing. Your input would be appreciated.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:44 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: tiger650
,,,,,,,,,,,,,Upward,
Did you use the 608HD retracts with your robostruts? I must have screwed up. I am using the 608HD retracts with robostruts and I had to cut my strut down almost to the point where I would have cut the adaptor bushing. Your input would be appreciated.
I believe Upward is using 510RS 'RoboStrut Ready' retracts, which has the RoboStruts inserted into the trunions, thereby eliminating the need to shorten them.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Upward

^^^ You got it, Im using the Robart 510RS 90 Degree Mains that are robostrut ready....

One question though, should I install that bushing that the robostruts came with (fits into the top end of tube to adapt to wire struts) Just so it has a little more support when it attaches to the retracts.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:04 PM
tiger650

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: tiger650
,,,,,,,,,,,,,Upward,
I believe Upward is using 510RS 'RoboStrut Ready' retracts, which has the RoboStruts inserted into the trunions, thereby eliminating the need to shorten them.
Thanks for the clarification CorsairJock!
Bob
Old 02-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Titan176

ORIGINAL: Ompa

Hi Titan176.

I have earlier built the Top Flite P51D as a Gold Edition kit, for about 7years ago. For that model I used CJM Retracts and always flow from a grass field and did not experienced any problems.
When I got my Robart #605HD with struts for about a month ago, I almost regretted that I didn’t bought the CJM retracts instead [:@]

Thanks for the advice....I cant wait to test it out!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Sonicman

To those that have installed Robart mechanical retracts, how did you connect the retract wire to the operating pushrod on the retract housing? Did you use a nylon horn and z-bend similar to the stock retracts or something else? The Robart instructions appear to call for a 2-56 threaded coupler, but not much other detail. Sorry if this is a no brainer, but this is my first retract installation so just want to make sure I'm clear. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2009, 01:08 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Sonicman,

I used a 2/56 thread rod at one enf the screwed in the Robart retract. I than ran the rod through the plastic tube up and into the servo area. I bent the rod so it a lined with the servo arm. I used EZ connectors on the servo arm and ran the 2/56 rod through them. I used the metal permenate support rings on the EZ connectors I hope this helps. I hope to give them their maiden trial this weekend.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Sonicman

ORIGINAL: jstanton

Sonicman,

I used a 2/56 thread rod at one enf the screwed in the Robart retract. I than ran the rod through the plastic tube up and into the servo area. I bent the rod so it a lined with the servo arm. I used EZ connectors on the servo arm and ran the 2/56 rod through them. I used the metal permenate support rings on the EZ connectors I hope this helps. I hope to give them their maiden trial this weekend.
Thanks Jim for the reply and good luck with the maiden. Sounds like just using a 2-56 threaded rod is the way to go.

Hope to maiden my stang soon after finishing the retracts, cutting the cowl, and breaking in the Saito. Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this forum. The info has been invaluable in helping with my build.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 02-06-2009, 12:14 AM
RC-CAKES

Any thoughts? :

Question for the SA-125 and FS-120 guys... I have been reading the previous posts about excessive engine vibrations- especially the Saitos. How bad is it? Have you used any dampening measures such as different mounts or rubber bushings? Any luck?
Guys using the OS engines - are you having vib issues as well?

I read where some guys servos are failing over short time or the cowling doesn't hold up. I wonder if it could be some prop balance issues as well. I know I was at the LHS recently looking at different 16" props. All but one were way off balance right out of the bag.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.