RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Old 03-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Upward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Thanks alot Devens & Bob & sorry to hear/see about your crash Neverland, there are alot of unforseen variables in this hobby. Glad to see your already building another....
I will set my CG at 5 1/4" for the maiden, Which should be next weekend if everything goes right with the weather.
I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Bob Paris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hay NeverLand,
Sorry to hear about the demise of your model. Instantaneous deceleration sucks, no matter what the reason...but its good to see you still have your smile on.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 03-17-2009, 03:23 PM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Neverland
Good news is the pilot, even though not happy survived lol
Survived? Looks like he lost the lower half of his body.

5/32" struts are really not adequate for warbirds this heavy ( 10# ), they are marginal at best in the lighter ( 8# ) H-9 warbirds. Best to stick with 3/16" or larger and forget the shims.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Bob Paris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hay CorsairJock,
I agree with you, and if I am not able to get good 3/16 wire struts from T.F., I'll go with Robart struts. These wires do seem a bit stiff for their size, but in every case in the past...anything less then 3/16th. wire struts have never worked well for me. On smaller .46 class birds it was still an issue...and they still bent on any thing less the a grease smooth landing.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 03-17-2009, 04:05 PM
MLDELARUELLE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi CorsairJock
Do you have pics of an fuselage modifications to allow battery replacement without removing the wing ?
Thanks
ML
Old 03-17-2009, 04:22 PM
stang151

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Top Flite built in a batt. hatch just foward of the canopy complete with hold-down magnets just cut the covering.In fact the plane seems to set up for elect. power with knock-out panels for cooling with a exit at the rear bottom. Also has a speed controler mount.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:36 PM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: MLDELARUELLE
Hi CorsairJock
Do you have pics of an fuselage modifications to allow battery replacement without removing the wing ?
Thanks
ML
No, because I must remove my wing to access batteries. As I suggested to you in the other forum ( RC Groups ), where you posed identical questions ( copied and pasted? ): go thru that thead and you will see pics (of someone else's Mustang) of the hatch, and how to make it usesable. The contributor did not post his findings until AFTER mine was already completed and flown, thus I do not use the hatch.

For that matter, it might be benificial for you to read at least some of the earlier posts in this thread.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:04 PM
goedhartige

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi
I did cut the hatch off the top, where i'm planning to install all pneumatic valves (filler, manometer and flow adjuster), all electric switches and charging jacks, and a dubro quick fill fueling system.

Just cut from inside the fuselage; there are two adjacent formers where you just have to cut in between. For the longitudinal cut, just follow between the stringers.
I made a few cuts from the inside fuselage; just enough to see it from the outside, and then traced with a sharp knife from the outside.

Since I will fly with a glow engine, I don't trust the magnets fully, and thus I will install two hatch-fasteners (see pictures)

I also installed the century jet retracts, (the gold edition kit-version, so I had to do some hard work on the beams), but I understand that there is now a drop-in version for this kit.
The cjm retracts seem quite robust, so I hope they will withstand my landings....

I have a question of those mustangs that already fly:

What is your take off weight? (please mention the engine as well. as I'm installing a lot of stuff (on board glow, cjm retracts, ...) with a rcv 90 cd engine...)

Regards, and keep posting the cool video's!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11873.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1160717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62826.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1160718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87494.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1160719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn33100.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1160720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15368.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1160721  
Old 03-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Neverland

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ine took off with 5.5kg + however much the fuel weighed. This was with an ASP magnum 1.20. Flew great with 300g battery ballast behind airscope cg 5" This time round I'll use ASP 91 and prob will only need to add 100g behind airscoupe. Hope this helps
David
Old 03-19-2009, 02:34 AM
MLDELARUELLE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi all,
Thanks for the pics goedhartige. Good idea to install the pneumatic valves there too.
Regards
CorsairJock, searching in all the topic is too long.... did you make a review ? Or do you know someone who did a review ?

Thanks

ML
Old 03-19-2009, 04:29 AM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: MLDELARUELLE
........................CorsairJock, searching in all the topic is too long.... did you make a review ? Or do you know someone who did a review ?
Thanks,.....ML
Me and others took the time to compose it, I for one don't have time to re-write it OR look it up for you. I'm willing to help only those who are willing to help themselves.
But I will add this: the thread in RC Groups isn't NEAR as long as this one, and contains more answers to your electric power questions than this one does.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Bob Paris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hay CoresairJock,
I was contacted by Mark at Top Flight today and the pair of struts that came with my replacement wing were not the correct struts for my wing. He checked the size of the struts from a new kit, and the struts were measured at .198. A bit larger then 3/16. He said he will send me a pair today by mail and now I need to get my Lado Struts drilled out to .200, to fit the new strut wires. He also stated that the new strut wires are not bent like on the fist kits for the landing gear wheel. The new kit has struts and separate axles for your wheels.

I also ordered from Robart, 3-1/4" scale wheels and foam inserts...as well as a set of 3/8" P-51 struts for the 3-1/4" wheels, set up for 3/16" wire. I'm not sure what I will do, but for now I'm going to see who arrives first and install these into my model.

Life goes on...
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 03-24-2009, 03:29 PM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob, I really suggest that you go back and read some of the info that I posted very early on, regrading the stock retracts ( and struts ), which is confirmed by your recent findings. In fact: Post #1 contains highlighted (bold) specs of the stock strut wires.

I also posted on the difficulties in attaching RoboStruts to those 5mm (stock ) strut wires. You are now compounding that by talk of modification to the Lado units. My advice would be: locate some 3/16" strut wires and use them. I assure you: you will save a lot of time and frustration.

3/16" struts are a very common size for this size aircraft: they are included with most ( if not ALL ) of the Top Flite '.60 size' warbird KITS (but not the ARFs), as well as many other simular size kits.
For that matter, you COULD just use any 'wire' that is 3/16" diameter, IF you choose not to have the 'spring loops' in them (which is what most people prefer when installing RoboStruts, but not me).

I think the best option is: purchase a pair of 3/16" titanium struts from Central Hobbies:
http://www.centralhobbies.com/miscel...titstruts.html
and install them WITH the spring loops. You will NOT have to modify the Lado retarcts, and you will NOT have to modify the RoboStrut inserts.
Also, as I indicated in earlier posts: it IS possible to install 3 1/2" wheels, which look better AND handle better.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:39 AM
Bob Paris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hay CorsairJock,
I went ahead and ordered the titanium struts from Central Hobbies, I liked the rap on them on their web site, and I also picked up the axles too. I will use the Robart struts on my next project...an F6F. I must admit I haven't read all the write ups...but I am reading more of them. Thanks for the heads up on the titanium struts.

I thought I best pick up a set of 3-1/4" Robart scale wheels just in case the 3-1/2" don't work out (my 3-1/4" Robarts were installed on my "B" ). I have 3-1/2" installed now on the T.F. port wing...and the 3-1/2" wheels are a very close fit into the wheel wells on my wing. There is not much clearance...but they do fit and I agree that a bit more rubber on the ground always helps out. Robarts are grippy wheels, I just wish they had better axle supports then they do.

I was ready to go maiden my "B", but the Robart retracting tail wheel stearing arm failed on my model...@#!%& I ordered two replacement stearing control arms from Robart this morning...and if this does not work out...I'll install a fixed retractable tail wheel where my retract is now. I balanced it at 5-1/4~5-3/8" and I installed a 2200 ma. 5-cell battery for balance. No dead weight any where. One of these day's I'll get one of these Mustangs airborn.

The F6F will have a twin Fox 1.20 for power, Lado rotating retracts and Robo struts. I was gifted the twin Fox from a buddy, and its on its way to Fox for a good once over. I was concidering a retractable tail wheel...but there ain't one any where worth a darn on the market.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22522.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1165703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94092.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1165704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88564.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1165705  
Old 03-25-2009, 01:18 PM
WINGMAN3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

need help ,lado-tech site won`t load are they still on line,thanks bud
Old 03-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Bob Paris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hay WINGMAN3,
I had the same problem this morning with their web site. It seems to be off line...but I did call them yesterday, but I don't have their phone number with me. I used the web site to get their phone number, but I was not able to get it to come up today. They are very much in business, and I ordered a set of 90 deg. rotating retracts from them yesterday. As soon as I can get their phone number, I'll post it here for you.

CorsairJock,
Central hobbies called me today and confirmed my on-line order I placed last night, for the Titanium struts. The struts are being airmailed to me today. That is very good service.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 03-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Upward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well.... I had the chance to maiden her yesterday, however I was still breaking inthe engine so it was a very scary flight.
A 15 MPH 90 degree crosswind was present...
This airplane needed alot of downtrim as soon as it went airborne other than that its a nice airplane.
It took off alot quicker that I would have thought about 25-30 feet, the OS .91FX pulled it into a very steep climb right off the ground.
While trimming it, I had it on idle for too long & it stalled at about 300 ft. Pulled off the deadstick landing without flaps. However I nosed it over when it slowed & it slightly bent the JTec muffler, nothing that will effect performance.

So I need to do some more engine breakin before I go out again (only have about 1 1/2 to 2 tanks through the engine).
Ill have tha camera next time....
Old 03-27-2009, 09:06 AM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Upward
............................This airplane needed alot of downtrim as soon as it went airborne other than that its a nice airplane. .................
That seems to be the unanimous consensus, and has been covered a lot in earlier posts. Rathar than suggest everone read all the earlier postss, I'll point it out again here, and hope everybody notices:
Down Elevator Trim: This plane needs it. I'm thinking that it is pretty much unanimous that unless you setup the elevators with a little down trim (1/16" ~ 1/8" ?), your first flight will have it taking off too soon and wanting to climb. I'm thinking 1/16" down is a good starting point. You may have to add a little more, but that at least will get you close.
I guess my problem is: I tend to set my planes up with a tiny bit of UP elevator trim. This is definately a no-no with this plane, you WILL need some down trim.

Quote:
................Pulled off the deadstick landing without flaps. However I nosed it over when it slowed & it slightly bent the JTec muffler, nothing that will effect performance..
Congrats, and it sounds like you did all the right things (like: leaving the flaps UP for a deadstick landing).
Curious: where did you set the C.G. at? Also, do you know the RTF weight (minus fuel)?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:07 AM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Bob Paris

Hay WINGMAN3,
I had the same problem this morning with their web site. It seems to be off line...but I did call them yesterday, but I don't have their phone number with me. I used the web site to get their phone number, but I was not able to get it to come up today. They are very much in business, and I ordered a set of 90 deg. rotating retracts from them yesterday. As soon as I can get their phone number, I'll post it here for you.

CorsairJock,
Central hobbies called me today and confirmed my on-line order I placed last night, for the Titanium struts. The struts are being airmailed to me today. That is very good service.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
http://www.lado-tech.net/ website works fine
Old 03-27-2009, 10:34 AM
devens

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My plane needed down trim like I said on maiden. After relooking at my setup I did have up trim setup at nuetral stick. Like you said jock that is sometimes a good starting spot but not with this plane. Once I had neutral elevator at neutral stick the plane took very little if any trim. I rechecked my weight and CG now that I have the paint work done and my plane sits at 5-3/8" CG and weights 10.5 lbs exactly. My OS 91FX also pulls this plane just right! Our field is still to young to fly off of with this plane as the force required by the elevator to keep the plane from nosing over is greater than what is needed to fly so the plane lifts off to soon. I am kinda old school with my warbirds and I like a long runout on takeoff. I tried to keep the plane on the ground the other day and ended up in a cart wheel and landed on my back. Nothing broke but a wing bolt! I could't believe it! This plane is well built and I am really lucky. I have a few buddies that want me to just slam the throttle and yank the elevator on takeoff like a 3D plane but I refuse. Even though the plane is pretty forgiving and my motor would pull it through that kinda takeoff I would be asking for trouble with a warbird! I will have to save her for those special trips to other fields with better runways.

Keep up the flight reports guys they are aways interesting!

BTW my .91 is swinging a 15/8 at 14,800 rpm Can't wait to put a 13/10 or 12 on her! hehe

D [8D]
Old 03-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Upward

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My CG was at 5 1/4" had to add a little weight to the nose, still seemed tailheavy in the air, but that could have been because of the elevator trim was needing adjustment.
Im running a 14x6 to break in the engine & for the first flight.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:15 PM
CorsairJock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
My CG was at 5 1/4" had to add a little weight to the nose, still seemed tailheavy in the air, but that could have been because of the elevator trim was needing adjustment.
Im running a 14x6 to break in the engine & for the first flight.
Moving the C.G. back slightly will help to keep it from nosing over. You might want to reduce the elevator throw also: they really don't need much elevator to fly like a warbird. I use the recommended 'low rate' throws all of the time.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Bob Paris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hay Wingman3,
Lado's web site is up and running today...here is their contact information.

LADO Technolgoies
150 Chuck Yeager Way
Suite J
Oroville CA, 95965

By Phone:
530-533-4444

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 03-27-2009, 05:18 PM
kahloq

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just bought this plane a couple days ago. Decided even before I read the first 12 pages that I didnt want to use the stock retracts.
Basics: CG should be at 5" or 5 1/4" to be safe as a starting point. Dial in some down trim.

Ok..so...my motor is a saito 125. Prop: 15x8. Muffler: Keleo twin pipe pitts style
Mcdaniels onboard glow.
Retracts: Robart 700 series RS with 662 offset robostruts.
I like the hatch idea for placing the air fill valve, charge-on/off switch and fuel fill dot, but not so sure I like the visible break in the monokote as the hatch would be plainly visible.
Im also not going to use the stock pilot. looks kinda goofy and more WWI esque to me, but thats my opinion.

Havent decided on plane name and nose art yet, but it WONT be Hurry Home Honey. Something like "Lay Me Down" or "Not So Innocent" with some form of accompanying girl nose art
Hopefully will ahve her completed within 1 week, but we'll see how motivated I get since there's 8 inches of snow on the ground right now.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:13 AM
goedhartige

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Kahloq,

the visible line at the back of the hatch is visible now because I glued a balsa doubler on it to eliminate some slop. I will add some monokote that I recycle from the horizontal stabilizer, so you won't see the line anymore...
Make sure that you place a mechanical restraint for the hatch, I don't trust the magnets with a vibrating engine...

What pilot are you planning to use? a full pilot will require some work on the cockpit floor...
I'm thinking of adding some other nose art as well... Any idea how to apply it?

Regards,

Jens

Search this Thread