Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 120 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

RE: Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

ORIGINAL: drdoom
    Isn't the rudder suppose to be yellow? http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51...44-73206.shtml
    Read post #1. The original did not have a yellow rudder. A currernty flying restored one does.
    Avatar: Electric Powered, Highly Modified Hangar 9 Corsair
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Jim,we missed you at the Sundowners WBD.We didn't start flying untill about 10:30.I put my TFGS P51 in the dirt too.Don't know what happened,made a turn at the north end of the field and she went into a slow shallow spiral,no control.Took the fire wall off and other miner damage. Hope to have her ready by the end of August for WBD at Palos Park Il. Tom
    pain is just weakness leaving the body
    P51 brotherhood #40
    P47 brotherhood #34
    F4U corsair bro hood #91

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The monokote matches with the Olive Darb Flat TOPQ0519 and Black Flat TOPQ0508
    No crash allowed, keep it flying!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Started mine today. All wing servos in, man I hate that part. OS 120 inverted with slimline pitts dumping out the bottom.
    Time flies like a brick thru the window of life.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guy's,

I am a little confused about the Robart 608HD retracts. I fly off of a grass field and I don't want the retracts being a problem. I have used the Century Jet retracts before, but I would like so save a few bucks if possible were I can. I have never used Robart mechanical retracts before. If I get the 608HD retracts do I also have to get the structs? If I do what robart structs work with the 608HD retracts? I would like them to be strong enough for the grass field and look scale if possible.
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys,

I took the plunge and ordered this plane today from Tower Hobbies. I have not yet decided what I will use for an engine.

Hope it looks as good in person as it does online :-)

Carl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have desided to get the Robart 608HD landing gear. I fly off of grass. Will the 608HD hold up to a grass field on thier own or should I spend the extra $105.00 and get the Robart 3/8" structs as well? I also plan on using a Evolution 100 with a Jtec inverterted pitts muffler.
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought my "Hurry Home Honey" arf today. Its the first ARF Ive bought in, well, I cant remember when but its been a LONG time. My goody box arrived from Tower today too-It contained Robart 605 hd units, 653 robostruts, 188vrx air kit, DSC switch, and other odds and ends. I have a new YS 110, will use a straight header pipe (no need for noise concerns where I fly) Control will be via Spektrum 2.4 thru my JR 8103 radio. Im done with 72mhz.

Im removing the front portion of the fin-many P-51D planes didnt have it. I have to say, this is one AWESOME arf. I doubt I could build a kit and spend the time doing it for under 300 bones. The scale outline and fit and finish is spectacular.
    \"I dont have an attitude, rather, you have a perception problem\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have desided to use a OS 91FX for power on this plane. With the engine being mounted inverted does anyone know if a Bisson or Jtec in the cowl muffler work OK with this P-51D cowling?
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I started to assemble the plane today. I inventoried the model and the only problem I found was a small tear in the covering of the rudder. I called TF and they sent me new tail feathers. Cant get just the rudder, so Im getting a whole set of tail feathers. TF has awesome customer service BTW.

This is one nicely thought out and well engineered arf. All of the parts are great quality. I only had to go over the covering in a couple of places-never seen that in an arf before! Usually have to go over most all of the plane! I did away with the kit hinges-and used Robart hinge pockets. I would hate to lose a nice plane because of cheap ca hinges!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki20193.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	1000129  
    \"I dont have an attitude, rather, you have a perception problem\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I went ahead and bought a new OS 75AX for this plane. I found a Top Flite in-the-cowl muffler that will fit this engine and keep the entire muffler inside the cowl. Has anyone used the Top Flite in-the-cowl muffler? It has a small header that mounts to the engine and uses a nylon tube to attach to the muffler that is mounted to the firewall of the fuselage. This keeps the whole muffler inside the cowl, but how well does it work. Any and all help is really appricated.
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

TF in cowl muffler worked well on the TF Cessna 182, and Bonanza.
    AMA #70046 Jet Junkie!

Without Gravity, Your Lockout Jet becomes Space Junk.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and order the TF in-cowl muffler for my OS 75AX. I am looking forward to seeing that really clean look on the plane without some really big muffler hanging outside of it. This plane with the TF in-cowl muffler and a OS 75AX spinning a 13x8 APC prop should really be a great combo.
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes
    No crash allowed, keep it flying!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is it possible to add air retracts after the plane is built?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

very nice looking plane!

so i guess 6-channels are not enough?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: madness2883

Yes, It comes with retracts although.
    AMA #70046 Jet Junkie!

Without Gravity, Your Lockout Jet becomes Space Junk.

ORIGINAL: jrod1019
    how do u guys fell that ax120 will fly the p-51 vs. a .91fx? i cant decide between them with a slimline inverted pitts. muffer.
    Just a hunch, and I could be going way out on a limb, but............I feel that with the ax120 it will be much faster.

ORIGINAL: madness2883
    Anything is possible, especially with good ole American know-how. The ads state that the stock retracts can be replaced with air operated units. The manual says the same. Contributors to this thread have installed air units (Robart AND CenturyJet). And since this is an ARF anyway (already built ), I see no reason why they cannot be added at anytime.

ORIGINAL: Paps
    ....................so i guess 6-channels are not enough?
    Just curious: why on earth would you guess that? The ads say it only needs 6, the manual says it only needs 6, and I have yet to see any statements in this thread that contradict that.
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have just had my third retract servo fail in this plane....one JR and two Hitec.
    I'm running everything off of a 5.2V regulator (stepping down from a 2S Li Ion battery), and the rest of the servos, RX, etc.
    have been working great.

The JR failed with the stock retracts.
    I have had two Hitec 75BB servos in past two weeks fail after installing Robart mechanicals, with Robostruts....
    Nothing appears to be binding in a big way, but still......

So is this bad luck, or am I experiencing the main reason that people go to air retracts?

I'm getting a bit hacked off about this, especially after going to the trouble of robostruts and new mechanicals....

Any suggestions guys? anyone else having servo failures?

The way I see it, I either need to go air, or install one servo per retract...

Let me know your thoughts on this one.

thanks,

michaelbbbb , I like the 2 servos idea. They make it much easier to get the end points right (assuming you have a computer radio ). Use proportional servo like the ones I suggested, along with a $10 servo speed reducer gizmo and you will end up with reliable, scale looking retracts.
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

michaelbbbb , I like the 2 servos idea. They make it much easier to get the end points right (assuming you have a computer radio ). Use proportional servo like the ones I suggested, along with a $10 servo speed reducer gizmo and you will end up with reliable, scale looking retracts.
    Thanks for the tip....I'll go back and read that part of the thread. I'm going with the two servo approach, as I just don't want to dive into the expense/weight of air on this bird right now.....but I've been hung up on using retract servos for that job. I have been under the impression that proportionals would potentially be a pain to adjust for end-points, etc...
    If I go to proportional servos like you say, then I can slow them down with my JR x9303 radio, and it should work nice.
    I'll give it a go and let you know.
    thanks,
    Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had the opportunity to fly this plane today. It wasn't mine but belong to a fellow flyer, since he wasn't quite experience with warbirds, he asked if I could fly it for him. I couldn't refuse seeing this beauty. It has a 120 four-stroke, I believe he mentioned OS. The first thing that really caught my attention was the amount of lead weight attached to the rear of the fuselage, when he flipped it over to attach the wings. The first thing that came to my mind was , "Oh No here we go again, another tail-heavy warbird thrown at my lap", Don't know if you been there or not, but I've had a few of them thrown at me, and trust me the experience is enough to keep your heart pounding in your chest for an extra 15 minutes. SO far I've been lucky and saved them all.
    Anyways I must of asked him about it like 5 times, and re-assured me that it was flown like this allready with no problems. "OK", I said, and we fueled it, did some minor adjustments to the retracts, set her on the ground and taxied the P-51 to the middle of the grass runway.
    I gave her a little throttle input to start her up, gradually increasing the throttle while holding the tail down with the elevator and feeding her right rudder to compensate for the torque. At about half throttle the tail came up with the elevator at nuetral, and still holding the right rudder a bit, then she did her magic, and lifted up so sweetly. WOW, what a beautiful takeoff, and guess what, she felt great. No CG issues what-so-ever. The rest of the flight was picture perfect. What I mean by that You could of taken a picture of her throught-out the flight, and they would have been all perfect.
    Out of all the P-51's that I have flown, and believe me I have flown many from ARF's to Kits. This one is the best flying P-51 that I have flown so far, very smooth, very gentle, very predictable, just perfect.
    After flying it for a few minutes, I was soo astonished with the flight, that I had forgotten that this was not my plane, and the owner was next to me, willing to take control of it himself. So I gave in, and let him have controls. He too was extremely happy on how well it flew, and then he told me that this was his first time flying this plane, the maiden was flown by another pilot who didn't want to give the owner control of the plane. Well I couldn't blame him, this plane gets her hooks into you and don't let go.
    Time to land, and I was given control again, with the flaps at full, gear down, the approach was very gentle, and she touched down so nicely.
    This plane is a winner, and whoever has the opportunity to fly one is very fortunate.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK!!!! that does it, im ordering one........... Really

you guys may enjoy this site......

http://www.warbirdalley.com/p51.htm
    Gary- club saito#23
    its your thang....do what ya wanna do

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nice!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cz79835.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	1003810   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu65630.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	1003811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xd80699.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	1003812  
    Gary- club saito#23
    its your thang....do what ya wanna do

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SPent the better part of the weekend on mine. I beefed up the retract mounts and used the brass plate idea to spread the load on the retracts, they seem pretty stout. Lot's of detail and adjusting on this ship but it should be worth it. Os 120 with slimline inverted pitts. The hitec 75 retract servo strains a bit on 4.8 volts so I think I will run a 6 volt on the system.
    Time flies like a brick thru the window of life.

Page 8 of 120 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast