Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 84 of 126 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 3130

RE: Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Tried to maiden the P51 2 weekends ago and had an issue with the retract tail wheel on take off. plane kept wanting to swing around. Is there any torque that would pull this plane to the left on take off? I have a GP Christen Eagle 2 .46 and that thing pulls hard to the lefty and needs lot of right rudder.
    But replacing the tail wheel retract with a robart air unit and having servo to activate tail wheel doors. ill take some pics once the install is finished.

These planes have lots of torque to cause a left turn on takeoff. In general the P-51 (model or full scale) is known for this. Generally expect to hold lots of right rudder to counteract the torque on takeoff. The torque is less of a problem if some elevator and throttle management is used. Go easy on the throttle to get it rolling. Once it starts to roll don't hold any up since the high angle of attack created by holding up will increase the torque. Gently add some up elevator once it is at flying speed. You will still need a good amount of right rudder to keep it from turning.

What retract were you using?I'm confused why changing it would solve this type of problem.

ORIGINAL: badazzgti03

Tried to maiden the P51 2 weekends ago and had an issue with the retract tail wheel on take off. plane kept wanting to swing around. Is there any torque that would pull this plane to the left on take off? I have a GP Christen Eagle 2 .46 and that thing pulls hard to the lefty and needs lot of right rudder.
    But replacing the tail wheel retract with a robart air unit and having servo to activate tail wheel doors. ill take some pics once the install is finished.
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #122
    Ryan STA/STM Brotherhood #5
    P-38 Brotherhood #45
    Sig Brotherhood #101

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine takes full right rudder on take off to hold heading.

I figured it would need a lot of right rudder. as for the tail gear I had this thing on there
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXES08&P=0
    It was just too small and was not cutting it for the models size even with upgrading the wire strut.
    I upgraded to this
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYSH2&P=0
    a bit bigger but fits in the well perfect and is a hell of a lot stronger and bigger wire strut too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well with due respect to all the mustang bros out there i am done with this bird  i flew out of range on me maybe because of me dsm2 receiver but i belly crashed for me the last time an i trashed the model sorry guys the bird was such a hand full to fly an land maybe i got a bad model but i moved on to my 60 size top flite corsair fly's like a dream no hassle at all have a dle 20 on it an wow dont need flaps to land this fun toy  well good luck  im building a top flite 86 giant this winter good luck all  im out
    CORSAIR BROTHERHOOD #85

ok here we go....I have been struggling with this for a while..the "tail wheel" kinda running outta ideas but its a retract tail wheel with this retract http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYSH2&P=0 Got the gear doors working for the tail wheel but I am having a major issue with the steering for the tail wheel. When the gear is down the steering is fine but with it retracted it binds when you use rudder so the rudder wont work. the steering and rudder are all on 1 servo. Been thinking about a pull pull system for steering or put the steering on a separate servo. Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

Jon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jon,
    Question for you. Did you use the current location for the steering push rod or did you move the pushrod wire to a new location for the steering? I used the same unit in mine but I had to pull out the plastic housingand drill new holes in the two bulkheads and then put backthe plastic housing in the new holes. It was binding like you said. Not to the point where it affected the rudder but once I lined it all up and drilled the new holes for the pushrod it was fine.
    Bill

ok here we go....I have been struggling with this for a while..the "tail wheel" kinda running outta ideas but its a retract tail wheel with this retract http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYSH2&P=0 Got the gear doors working for the tail wheel but I am having a major issue with the steering for the tail wheel. When the gear is down the steering is fine but with it retracted it binds when you use rudder so the rudder wont work. the steering and rudder are all on 1 servo. Been thinking about a pull pull system for steering or put the steering on a separate servo. Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

Jon
    My biggest worry is that my wife (when I am dead) will sell my R/C stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Best just to use a small servo for the tailwheel using pull pull cable setup.  This way it wont interfere with the rudder in any way. When retracted, the cables should have slack in them so the servo doesn't bind.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374

I don't crash I just land wrong

Yes I did use current location for the steering push rod. I'll give drilling new holes a shot...where did you drill the new holes at?
    My last attempt will be using a separate servo if this don't work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

since you are working from the bottom I had to lower it which when the plane is right side it is actually up to the top of the fuse.yours maybe different depending on how you mounted the retract unit in the fuse.
    My biggest worry is that my wife (when I am dead) will sell my R/C stuff for what I said I paid for it.

if you look in post # 2050 the first pics shows how I mounted it but that's with the older mechanical retract.

I Finally!! got it to work....it does not bind when retracted and the gear doors close perfect!!! I happy as hell!! Hopefully the weather holds up this weekend and I will maiden this bird...I named her" Give em hell"!!! here is a picture of my custom drawn pin up girl, by an artist and friend that does art work for the TV show "Sons of Anarchy"

yow'za!!
    -J
    Club Saito member #721

anyone one know where I can pick up a 4 bladed prop for this thing?? I'm running a magnum 91 4 stroke...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I love nose art.....
    Good stuff
    I have being doing so much, with so little for so long...that now I can do anything with nothing.....G. Ivory

Thats a difficult size to find. Tower has the APC4-blade props but not many sizes are available. Most of the other sources of 4-blade props are for giant scale models.

anyone one know where I can pick up a 4 bladed prop for this thing?? I'm running a magnum 91 4 stroke...
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #122
    Ryan STA/STM Brotherhood #5
    P-38 Brotherhood #45
    Sig Brotherhood #101

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Save yourself some trouble, a four bladed prop will not fly this plane well. Too inefficient.

Cheers,
    So many planes, so little time

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you would like to turn a 4 blade prop for this plane, then a bigger engine is needed to fly well. I was able to use an APC 15.5x12x4 by using an OS200FS that weighs around 35oz. For your magnum 91FS the perfect prop would be a 14x7-8 2 blade.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

14x8 APC on the 91 has some good pulling power. Thats what I put on mine and half throttle had the plane off the ground.  I currently have it on my Deweyville, but even the 91 is too much for it, still trying to find the right size, probably a 70 is what it needs.   At full it looks like it will rip the wing off.  Since I already have a frame for the 91, putting it in a Chipmunk, I m still in need of an engine for my P-51.  I picked my 91 up for $129, and now wish I bought 2 at that price.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

ok cool....probably will just stick with a 2 blade. by the way is 13lbs too heavy for this bird? Should have the nose art on this plane by next week. Ill post pics up

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

8-10 pounds is the kit weight.  I believe the ARF is the same range, so 13 is pretty heavy.  You may need more power than the 91 for it to fly well.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine with the OS200FS is around 10.5lbs. Watch out when banking. The H-9 Blue nose had some problems with weighing around 11-13lbs. as well. Let me know when the maiden is so I could bring my AT-6.

ORIGINAL: ton2di

Mine with the OS200FS is around 10.5lbs. Watch out when banking. The H-9 Blue nose had some problems with weighing around 11-13lbs. as well. Let me know when the maiden is so I could bring my AT-6.
    wow...yeah mine with the magnum 91 is coming in at about 12-13lbs. it was nose heavy like a ****. I had to add a lot of weight to the tail to balance it out. I will maiden this weekend probably Saturday at the Walt Good field (DC-RC)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: YAT-28E

I love nose art.....
    Good stuff
    Me too, but you have to be under 30 to appreciate that pinup. The tats you know.

lol I above 30 years old and i love it....Told the artist what I was looking for and he hooked it up!! I got a thing for goth chics lol. By the way if you look really close she does have piercings. nose and lip pierced

but anyways I re-weighed the mustang and came in at 9.5-10lbs.....I have no clue where the E'ff I got 12-13 lbs from lol I probably didn't have the scale set right.

ORIGINAL: radfordc

ORIGINAL: YAT-28E

I love nose art.....
    Good stuff
    Me too, but you have to be under 30 to appreciate that pinup. The tats you know.

Page 84 of 126 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast