Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 86 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2889

RE: Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Looks good so far. Encoraging to those of us that may have to repair ours some day.

ORIGINAL: badazzgti03

looks and sounds good!!

I hope you all don't mind me posting up re-build log up in here?
    I patched up some holes last night and added the hardwood cowl screw mounts. I also cut out the hatch forward of the cockpit. I still need to router out the dummy exhaust cut outs. they were filled in. Then I'm going to move onto the B conversion. Check out the pics. Ill try to post up pics as i go along. Constructive criticism is welcome as well as positive feedback.
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #122
    Ryan STA/STM Brotherhood #5
    P-38 Brotherhood #45
    Sig Brotherhood #101

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks great! Keep the pics coming!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys.
    As for cutting the area for the hatch..its a pain in the ass but I did it from the inside and used a new sharp exacto blade and pushed it in between where the hatch meets the fuse. Its easy to determine the vertical cuts on the fuse for the hatch but the horizontal cuts almost never come out perfect because they are slightly glued together. This is the second time I did the hatch..It got massacred but I filled the mistakes in with hobby wood filler. Just when doing this please have a lot of patients and and very sharp exacto blade and a razor saw to cut the spares. It best to do this with no monokote over the hatch area, it will only make it harder to do if there is. The hatch area I'm going to be making a custom panel to access my power switches, my charging jacks, air tank filler w/gauge, gear door sequencer and anything else that usually needs access to be adjusted so its not all showing on the outside of the plane...i like cleanliness

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

man, my hatch is too small now after seeing yours. I was just planning a small hatch with door hinges and a magnet, but now, rethinking it.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

do it!! its a great mod!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A little more work done last night....Started the B/C conversion. Removed the balsa sheeting and spare behind the cockpit. Thinking about remaking the frame spares that came with the conversion kit they don't seem to be strong enough...they are a hard ply/balsa mix and they kinda brake apart when trying to be removed from the die cut wood sheet. But here are a few pics of progress.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got a little bit more done on the conversion. should be done with it this week, but its coming together very smooth. Pics...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you going to remove the dorsal fin? Here is the Topflite B conversion on their GS kit. It's pretty much done except for the cowl and side pieces of the cockpit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56808.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	1819764  
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lookin good on that GS...I'm keeping the dorsal fin on figure be a tad unique.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Argh why do I keep doing that. Its a Gold Edition, not Giant Scale. DOH. Sorry bout that.  I started it last year about this time, finally got the engine mounted last week and the cowl started.  I have to remember to bring my scal with so I can weigh it and get a general idea what it will weigh when completed.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys

What receiver battery are you using in this bird? I have the usual 7 servos plus Lado retract units. Will a 6v 2500mah do? The retract motors turn off once they feel resistance so wont drain the battery.

Cheers
    Wes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Typically the retracts should have their own pack, just in case.    I use Life packs for all my planes now, 2300mah lasts a pretty long time.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had a 6v, NiMh 2000 mah pack in there and on the bench she was browning out big time on 2.4ghz. On 72mhz it would do it too. As a test I tried a PCM and a FM Rx. On PCM it would gointo failsafe and on FM it was glitchinglike it waswasgetting hit.I switched itto the2300mah, A123 pack and there are no longer any issues with browning out on any of the RXs I tried.This A123 pack also runs my Switchglo on-board glow. I also had the brown out problem whether or not the Switchglo was hooked up or not. So it was not the onboard glow. Although I am sure it did contribute to the problem. My retracts areSpring Air but could run the Lado's with no problem.

Ihave 8 servos in mine, 6 digital and 2 analog. Using 500mah per digital and 350mah for analog the minimal requirementis 3700mah ( (6*500)+(2*350)).I amusing a 2300mah A123 pack which is less than the 3700mahbut thatpack is capable of supplying 70 amps of power which is more than enough where the other is 2 amps. If you can go with A123's do it. You just need to make sure all your servos can handle 6 volts as you do not want to use a regulator.

Now if Ican just get my engine to run reliably I would maiden this thing. Regulator problems.First it was dumping fuel and then there was not any fuel at all. The new metal plunger is too small even though it is for a YS-120.So I used some new parts with the original metal plunger.I might have it fixed this time but I just have not had a chance to get out to try it

Go with the A123's. You will not be sorry.....

ORIGINAL: wesjon

Hey guys

What receiver battery are you using in this bird? I have the usual 7 servos plus Lado retract units. Will a 6v 2500mah do? The retract motors turn off once they feel resistance so wont drain the battery.

Cheers
    Wes
    My biggest worry is that my wife (when I am dead) will sell my R/C stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Using a Powerbox Sensor switch which accepts A123's and has built in regulator so should be fine. What brand are you guys using? There dont seem to be many aroung the UK...

Thanks
    Wes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You may still have an issue with the powerbox sensor but that is somthing you will need to keep an eye on. If you get a chance check out this forum. Even though you may not be using this equipmentit has lots of good information in there about batteries and voltage drops. www.rcgroups.com/xtreme-power-systems-483/

I purchased mine from:

www.electrodynam.com/rc/index.shtml It looks like they now have 2500mah packs and no longer have the 2300

and from

epbuddy.com/

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

ORIGINAL: wesjon

Using a Powerbox Sensor switch which accepts A123's and has built in regulator so should be fine. What brand are you guys using? There dont seem to be many aroung the UK...

Thanks
    Wes
    My biggest worry is that my wife (when I am dead) will sell my R/C stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aren't digitals overkill for a warbird of this size?   I can see for pattern and 3D, but the warbirds should fly just fine on analog servos where you wouldn't need large packs, even with 8 servos since only 5 are used while flying, the others, flaps and retracts only when landing.  the problem Im running into is weight. With the air robarts and tail gear, working wheel doors and extra servos and sequencer, the plane has got some weight to it now.  There are 9 servos in mine, 10 if I use one for the choke.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't know if it is or not. It was whatI had on hand at the time. I usedHitec digitals and was able tousethe Hitecprogrammer on them for setting all thethrows.Something I wanted to try out.The digitalsare on the ailerons, rudder, elevator and flaps.The other two analogs are for the throttle and retracts. The flaps are programmed to only go down.I wasable to better center all of theservos without the need for sub trim. I guess 3D and aerobaticslike the better precision with digitals but as a benefit I havea little more precision too. Of courseI won't know until I can get it off the ground.

As for the need for a larger pack I hadthe sameproblems on planes with only 5 analog servos. Now on these planes the packswere 4,8 volts and I was able to fix thatby going to a 6.0 volt pack with the same capacity and no regulator. But other planeswith just 5 digitalsanda 6.0 volt pack with no regulator, I hadthe same problem and I fixed that with the A123 batteries.

Iam not an electronics guyso thisis hard for me to explain but from whatI understand this is a voltage managementproblem.The amps requiredfor the servos is more than the pack has capacity for so it tries to compensate by pushingmore voltage to itcausingan instaneousvoltage drop in the pack. This drop goesbelow 4.4 volts the RXre-boots / browns out.The receiver would indicatea brownout / rebootcondition even when thebattery pack just came off the charger,fully charged. So it wasnot the amount of charge in thebattery but how much it canprovide. Also, some of these 2.4ghzRxs with telemetry and stuff are like small computers and require a little bit more to make them run.

Again I am no electronics guy. I just know I had theseproblems with those packsand when I made these changes and upgradedit all wentaway.I am not totally sure but ifI remember correctly the A123 packs I have are about an ounce or two heavier than the NiMh packs I was using.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys,
    I use one 4000 ma. sub-c nickle-5 cell battery in mine. I use 7 Airtronics 94322 servo's, all analog and a set of Lado retracts. I mounted my battery aft near the trailing edge of the wing, for correct CG. The analog servo's work like a charm and have for years...though I needed to replace the battery once already ( I also get all my reciever batteries from "Peak Electronics" ). The 94322 is a standard BB servo...and @ $15.00 a piece, not only inexpensive, but have more then enough power to do the job. I also powered my airframe with a K&B 1.00...lots of power and great vertical. I do not see the need for digital servo's...for they cost more and eat up much more power then analog servo's do. Standard servo's are more then enough for this bird...and if you look back to the models history...in the beginning the servo's used to fly the old red box model, had no were near the power, or have the reliablility of today's servo's.

Its a great flying model and love its perdicable handeling.

Soft Landings Always,
    Bobby of Maui

Name:	Mj24790.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	1820085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig12113.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	1820086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wt59317.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	1820087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us52747.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	1820088  
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51
    Say what you mean, mean what you say...and !#$& it if you can\'\'t take a joke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

back to the grind....
    here are some updated pics...everything is coming together kinda good just still a lot of sanding and wood filler to try and get that canopy to fit well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The B-models do not use the dorsal fin.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes I know but I'm keeping it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well.....it will be unique. I think you are having fitment problems due to the dorsal fin though. The angle of the turtle deck is too steep because you ended it before the dorsal instead of the fin. If you look at my fuse, you can see the difference.

Name:	Jg13893.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	1820522  
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it is a tad steep but the slop pretty much matches up with the dorsal area. I still need to sand/cut the forward part of the turtle deck where the canopy is to get proper fitment.

I'm not the only one http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image22103.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hay jeffH,
    Yes...some "B" models did have the dorsal fin. It was a field install and if you go looking, you may just find one.
    Bob Paris
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51
    Say what you mean, mean what you say...and !#$& it if you can\'\'t take a joke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris
    Hay jeffH,
    Yes...some ''B'' models did have the dorsal fin. It was a field install and if you go looking, you may just find one.
    Bob Paris
    Actually the dorsal on the B/C Mustang was not really uncommon at all. It is a common misconception that the dorsal was added to the D model Mustang in order to regain some stability from the loss of side area when the spine was cut down for the bubble canopy. If that were true then the dorsal would, of course, be superflous on the high back Mustangs. However, the truth is the dorsal was added to increase the strenth of the vertical fin which had suffered from numerous failures during violent manuevering. Thus it was added in the field for safety purposes to many high back Mustangs. Several flyable B/C Mustangs have been restored with dorsals as a matter of fact.

Page 86 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast