Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:44 PM
j301
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

You going to share, or at least show, you findings?
The Keleo I have doesn't seem to weigh much, haven't put it on a scale, but it never occurred to me to weigh it as it didn't trigger any warning bells. Still looking for a header pipe, kind of old news I guess 'cause everywhere Ive checked are out of stock (on no longer in stock that is.)
As for the videos, those are pretty awesome. Ive been an aviation buff all my life, esp. WWII birds, and have had in interest in many. Doing a F4U right now so I have been steeped in that airframe for a little while, but every time I see or hear a mustang, I get this "oh-ya, that IS the one!" feeling. That plane looks fast, elegant, and deadly just sitting there, but to see one fly... (preaching to the chuior right?)
Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 PM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yeah.. agree on the mustangs...
finally got to upload...
Opened up the lower part of the fuse to house the batteries towards the rear if needed for balance and for an air vent.
Built a discarge vent... not exactly scale but there is a covered open part of the fuse in this location ..
Opened the scoop front and rear.
Had a wooden train whistle. Yeah, two of the 4 (the 2 middle tones) is close to the mustang whistle so cut down the un-needed part sacrificing the high and low tones as seen and mounted in the scoop with a baffle. I did add some extra glass to the scoop in a couple of spots. The whistle mounted on the bottom of the trainer at speed would sound pretty darn good.
Took a shop vac reversed and sent air from the front towards the scoop and it works.... even though its hidden in there. Now .. High speed dives will start at about 30mph (based on the trainer) and increase with speed. Looking forward to trying this out!!!!
Again, this is for fun... I love the experiment... just like that 4 blade prop that's light, scale and works thanks to Biela.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40123.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1892817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88140.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1892818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81302.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1892819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32253.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1892820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn77833.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1892821  
Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 PM
ThunderBoat42

Name:	Jh16121.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1892822  
Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool idea with the whistle, I discoverd the covered opening for the radiator exhaust door the other night by accident. Idon't understand TF, they made a hatch for the electric guys up frontbut nothing in the instructions tells you it's there and now this area in the back that could be opened for cooling air for the batteries??? Very strange, also the tubes for the throttle pushrod runs under the opening for the air valve servo so you can't mount the servo there, and not giving any info for converting to air retracts either????
Old 06-18-2013, 09:25 AM
j301

A train whistle!? I hope you realize that is now your responsibility, nay, you DUTY to provide video of it in action once you get it done! But really, that's one of those "cool, from left field, but cool" ideas, hope it works!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:21 AM
ThunderBoat42

YES.. a video is a prerequisite!!!    I was searching everwhere for a whistle that would duplicate that tone of the full scale and a kid walked by blowing one and I thought ... "Yeah"... so ordered it online for about $6.00 delivered (I should have gotten 2).   I also have been holding on to a Nerg whistling football for about 15 years... for this very application.. a Mustang.   The trian whistle with the two middle tones being ideal.   Just about hyperventilated typing out different combinations of 1, 2 and 3.   Landed on the middle 2. 

Again, just an off the wall idea to differentiate from "just another arf"
Old 06-18-2013, 11:55 AM
j301

Dang it, now I have to start looking for (or paying attention to) things that whistle,,,I'll never get anything done.....
Old 06-18-2013, 02:56 PM
ThunderBoat42

J ... while I am having to keep myself from thinking about adding a Kelo exhaust

Old 06-18-2013, 03:49 PM
j301

ORIGINAL: ThunderBoat42

J ... while I am having to keep myself from thinking about adding a Kelo exhaust [img][/img]

This is why re-hab centers and probation officers don't let people with addiction hang out with people with addiction,,,[:@]
Since I am now working on the plane the Japanese called "whistling death", F4u, I started thinking about ways to steel your idea. The air frame doesn't have the same "ins and outs" as the 51, it's pretty much a tube. I was thinking I could generate wind with a cheep-o 55mm ducted fan unit and some mylar perhaps. Only in its infancy, but I can see a small 3c lipo and esc assigned to one of the rotary knobs on my radio. (it was here that I acknowledged steps one and four of AA's [airplanes anon.] 12...)
Old 06-18-2013, 05:42 PM
ThunderBoat42

This is the one I ordered for the future Corsair project to check out. it's loud enough and flat enough it can go in the cowl and wouldnt need much airflow.
Another one to check out are the nerf football whistles. There are 3 on it... each a different pitch... can flush mount. http://www.basegear.com/jetscream.html

I am always experimenting for sounds and visual effects. it keeps it interesting.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 PM
j301

This is the one I ordered for the future Corsair project to check out. it's loud enough and flat enough it can go in the cowl and wouldnt need much airflow.
Another one to check out are the nerf football whistles. There are 3 on it... each a different pitch... can flush mount. http://www.basegear.com/jetscream.html

I am always experimenting for sounds and visual effects. it keeps it interesting.
Found this with a little poking around. Would think you would want to engineer a way to turn it off though. There is a video of a Park Zone P51 with it attached floating around the net, its pretty loud.
http://www.warbirdreplicas.co.uk/Air-Whistle/33.htm
Old 06-19-2013, 11:41 AM
ThunderBoat42

That look identical to the one on the nerf football. It has 3 each with a different pitch.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:44 AM
ThunderBoat42

OK Peoples with flying examples... getting close to balancing... 5.25" in reading back seems to be the magic spot.

I am looking for a bigger tank too. I need to be at 18 to 24 ounces and get the fuel back a little closer to the LE.

Batteries... I have a 2100 mah LiFe ... with the 9402's ... electric gear... and that cool digital sullivan on board glow igniter... Will need more.
The Glow I am going to run on it's own battery... propably a 1100 mah 4.8 std receiver battery. I am thinking with these high power servos I sould add a second Life 2100 to the system. (?)

THis is a cool onboard gizmo for the Lipo/Life batteries.
http://www.fromeco.org/products/prod...5-96733e54cecc

Old 06-19-2013, 12:26 PM
j301

I haven't seen your on board driver, but dont they usually take a single 1.2v battery? As for your LiFe batteries, I usually run a three wire system, +, -, and signal on a male servo extension. The signal goes to the bar that ties the two cells together, you can then remove the signal wire from your RX side of a heavy duty switch and build a single cable out of one JXT male connector and one servo extension, then you can balance using just your jack (or JR type heavy duty sw. without the external jack). If you go to :
http://www.hangtimes.com/a123rxsetup.html , then half way down to "*Leveling the Playing Field - Upgrading your 1st Generation 2 cable charger to Single Cable compatability" you can see how they do theirs. A123's put out more then your NiMh or NiCads, 2100 is quite a lot, but if you want more, just run two on two switches, though I would only do this if you plan on really throwing the plane around, and all day long!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 PM
ThunderBoat42

It's the Sullivan Digital OBGDriver. It has built in regulator so it can be run off receiver or an indep. pack. It also Y's in with the throttle servo where you can program in the on/off points.
Thanks on the other... I will look into it deeper tontight.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:12 PM
ThunderBoat42

Thanks for the site info... this set up is do-able with the batteries I have now and alot cheaper of a set up. I like it and easy to assemble. I am using a Hitec X4 Ac/DC Charger... so there is a lot of flexibility.

I got a couple of these switches to try out.. and using one on a trainer... it's a charge switch in one.. looks cool too.
http://www.swgiantscalemodels.com/st...671&pd=4998662

The sullivan is in this MAN article along with a couple of others... I like the larger battery availability and it flush mounts for easy access/adjustment. I got this to minimize the inverted engine flame out at lower rpm.
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...ce-and-safety/

Name:	Pm34821.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1893345  
Old 06-19-2013, 09:01 PM
j301

They talk about using 20g wire, but 22g is good up to 7 amps, and on theses littler planes, even the bigger planes using two packs in parallel, you wont see that much amperage anyway (if you do, it will likely be a spectacular, and final flight!) -talking normal, 3D guys need bigger stuff for all that flopping about.
For some reason the site with the switches isn't expanding the pics of the switches so I cant really tell whats going on with them. Are those the ones that go to charge side with the plug then to RX when you take out the plug? I seen a Canadian guy selling those a while back ( http://www.canuckengineering.com/new...s/switch-jacks same idea?)
thought that was a good idea, fail safe on, no getting shot down by a switch! Yours look like they cost a little less. let me know how they work out. Can you check voltage through it though? Or would you have to pull the wing, a hatch, or mount the charge lead outside the plane?
Ive been building my own packs for a while out of 18650 3.2V 1100mAh LiFePO4 cells, would these work for your glow driver as well? Might be lighter then NiMh packs.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:00 PM
ThunderBoat42

I'll take some picks of the switch/plug. Yes, it comes with a charge plug as well pigtail. I am extending it to banana pugs for the charger with a futaba M to f connector for the voltage meter use while at the field. Pretty cool all in one connector. When it off.. you know it... it's flagged.
I am using 20 ga twisted extensions on the ailerons. looking for a yharness out of 20 ga as well. There was an ad in the issue of Model Aviation that came today ... still need to check it out.
Fred (condor) on here... lost his ESM P51 with the electric gear turning final working the gear, flaps etc. all at the same time using the same torque rated servo's .... he said the voltage dropped to 3.7 as a result on one battery lead to the receiver. That learned, I am going to isolate the gear to its own pack.
the 3.1 life with sufficient Mah would work on the glow driver.
Been fooling with the tank but called it a night to have dinner with my daughter. going to a 20 oz set back closer to the balance point if I can get it in there and isolate it from the frame. Dont like a tank directly onthe frame taking vibration (ie foam)
Old 06-21-2013, 04:34 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Careful using a std voltage load tester that most use tocheck nicads with. The LiFe batteries will blow them out and besides they will show 3.4 volts almost right to the end of their capacity. The best way to check them is charge them fly a flight and then recharge and calculate your safe # of flights. I plug my lipo voltage tester right into the balance tap that is on the Hangtimes charge lead to check the voltage to make sure they are staying balanced, and I always bal charge them. I am using a 10 oz tank since I amusing gas,strapped to the plywood receiver tray to be closer to the CG point.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:04 PM
j301

I'll take some picks of the switch/plug. Yes, it comes with a charge plug as well pigtail. I am extending it to banana pugs for the charger with a futaba M to f connector for the voltage meter use while at the field. Pretty cool all in one connector. When it off.. you know it... it's flagged.
I am using 20 ga twisted extensions on the ailerons. looking for a yharness out of 20 ga as well. There was an ad in the issue of Model Aviation that came today ... still need to check it out.
Fred (condor) on here... lost his ESM P51 with the electric gear turning final working the gear, flaps etc. all at the same time using the same torque rated servo's .... he said the voltage dropped to 3.7 as a result on one battery lead to the receiver. That learned, I am going to isolate the gear to its own pack.
the 3.1 life with sufficient Mah would work on the glow driver.
Been fooling with the tank but called it a night to have dinner with my daughter. going to a 20 oz set back closer to the balance point if I can get it in there and isolate it from the frame. Dont like a tank directly onthe frame taking vibration (ie foam)
Ya I was talking about making a charge lead out of 22awg, since you typically (or at least I do anyway) charge at 1C, which would be one big@$ pack to get that high. He must have been using digital servos to brown out like that? I know most elect. gear only take .5 ish amps. Are you going to put a switch to your gear battery? That would provide your second "back up" if you ran it back to the receiver too wouldn't it? Since you now have me thinking batteries, I cycled most of my LiFe packs today, still think I'm in the clear (after counting MaH in and out) for my normal 4 to 5 flight days, but will likely start double switching things now.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:12 AM
wesjon

Hey guys. What size LIFE batteries are you running for the RX? I have electric retracts but will set them up using an isolated battery so the LIFE would only be powering 7 servos. Using a Powerbox switch with regulator built in.

thanks
Old 06-23-2013, 09:03 AM
ThunderBoat42

I'm running the 2100 mah.   But still in build phase...  Working on tank and cutting spinner for the 4 blade prop today
Old 06-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Duplicator41

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey T-Boat:

Have you weighed your P51 with all the goodies on it? Just curious as I'm working on finishing my TF 51.

Cheers,
Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 AM
ThunderBoat42

No ... not yet... ..   When I get the engine mounted I will probably go ahead and put the balance on the scale to start seeing where everything needs to go.

I am probably going to use two life 2100 mah packs and the Smart Fly Battery share  http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/QBS.html  each with a failsafe switch from S&W Giant scale.  J301 gave me a great idea on the balance port where I can charge and check cells easily.  I am waiting on the 20 gauge wiring to get here with the dual harness.   The 20 gauge extensions are NICE.  I think its a good idea to wire the gear direct to one of the batteries on the backside of the switch.   The Glow driver ....  I am debating on if it needs to be totally isolated other than the receiver wire Y'd to the throttle servo for programming. 

Old 06-25-2013, 03:29 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I realized that no one has mentioned a cooling option for this Mustang that I employed several years ago. No pictures, but here is what I used. A 13/64ths drill bit can be used to open up the exhaust stacks into the upper engine cavity. On mine, the front 5 on each side can be drillled out. The back two on my plane were blocked so I don't count those. The total of 10 such opening results in an addition 2 inch opening that will effectively extract heat due to the negative pressure generated.

Second, there is a knock-out behind the cylinder that is typically used for electrics plus an opening at the back of the radiator scoop that only needs removal of the covering. That plus the opening for control horn access at the back greatly increases the total opening for heated gasses. The heated air passing through the fuse has created no problems for me over the last several years.

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.