Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 07:12 PM
or170b
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok!! I got a couple flights today with the DLE mustang now that it is trimmed out and balanced correctly it is a great flier clocked it at 80mph with the radar gun using a 16x8 I think once the DLE is finished breaking in and maybe a 15x10 prop it should see 90mph? Its a great flier!
Old 04-10-2015, 12:13 PM
autotecart

??
Old 04-10-2015, 12:14 PM
autotecart

Originally Posted by Flying Fiz
I grabbed one of these beautiful Biela 4 bladers plus an aluminium spinner. Shame I cant use the red yellow spinner but the 4 bladed prop looks fantastic
where did you get that from then?
Old 04-10-2015, 12:50 PM
autotecart

OK I have my retract setup at last. Robart 635 left and right robostruts and eflite electric retracts

I need to replace the stock electric retract legs with the robart robostruts and the one thing i noticed is that the diameter of the robarts is wider than the hole in which they would fit into the eflites. The diameter of the robarts is 9.5mm and the diameter of the eflite legs is 5mm. Do robart do these struts in a narrower diameter and if not how do I fit these robarts into the eflites. I am aware that the screw comes out to drop the original struts out of the electric motors but once these come out will the 9.5mm diameter robart struts fit into the holes of the electric motors?

Last edited by autotecart; 04-10-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:28 PM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull out the wires and wire adaptor from the eFlite retracts and the Robart struts should slide right in.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:52 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My eflite's didn't have the wire adapter. What I did was to take the wire that came with the eflite and cut a 1" piece off of it, took the smaller of the two inserts that came with the robo struts. Drilled it out to 5mm and put the robostrut on the 1" wire. Worked perfectly.
They must have changed the design of the eflite retracts to accept the 9.5mm robostrut. Good idea and good to know since I'm about to order a set for my Mustang.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:20 AM
warhwk

I flew mine for the first time in 2015. I forgot how cool the YS 1.10 sounds at full throttle
Old 04-19-2015, 09:22 AM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Flight from yesterday, Friend's airplane with a DLE20RA in it, perfect power plant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0a2IUVhZxg
Old 04-19-2015, 09:00 PM
Flying Fiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm all but done now. I'll post a few pictures. I just need to instal the optical kill switch and an batt on/off switch. I have a Jtec pitts style wrap around muffler that looks great. Although that muffler doesnt have a pressure nipple for the vent line, so ive done the old ventline around the fuel tank twice and out the bottom of the plane.

But I'm having second thoughts about the combo of a 155cc engine and the 14x8 four blade prop. The engine specs state that the engine performs best with a 2 blade 14x6. So a 4 blade 14x8 may be way too much for it! Thoughts? It will fly but performance may be lacking and I really hate that. So for the maiden it will be with an APC 14x6 two blader.

I may need to swap out the 15cc for a 20cc that I have NIB, but at the moment that is just too much work to contemplate. And I was going to drop the 20cc in the new Hangar9 Corsair which arrives in Australia in June.

The finished product does look good and I'm satisfied that the retracts have a solid base now, lots of ply and 30 minute epoxy.

Looking forward to the maiden although there will be a deal of trepidation, not the least because this 15cc engine's last flight ended in a fatal deadstck shortly after take-off when it was in a Seafury. I just cleared the field was in the process of gaining height over dense bush and then nothing.....smash! So I'll be resetting all the needle valves and giving it a lot of testing before taking the Mustang into the bright blue yonder!

Wish me luck.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:55 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:56 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A gas engine doesn't need muffler pressure and if you had it hooked up like that before that may have been your problem. A 15cc engine does not have the power to swing a 4 blade prop, you will be way under powered. Stay with a 2 blade and save the 4 for display.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Chris Nicastro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm flying the stock ARF with a DLE20 side exhaust and APC 16X8. Radar gun pass at 108mph, repeated the pass three times to check.
The previous owner combined battery packs into one larger 2600mah pack for use on both the ignition and Rc. I'm not a fan of this set up but its lighter I guess. Two to three flights don't draw more than 700mah.

Anybody flying with Down Trim?
This model requires quite a bit of down trim which is tricky on the ground as it wants to pitch the nose down. I have to hold up to neutralize the elevator and gain speed until the stab is flying then relax to neutral stick in the air.
Incidence issue I'm sure but I have not looked into it much further at this point.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Chris Nicastro

By the way, tach read 8200-8300rpm and I'm using 34:1 Bellray oil.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:26 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO you have a CG issue. The plane should be balanced at 27% MAC and trimmed at 3/4 throttle setting. I posted my flight review on the forum if that helps.
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
I'm flying the stock ARF with a DLE20 side exhaust and APC 16X8. Radar gun pass at 108mph, repeated the pass three times to check.
The previous owner combined battery packs into one larger 2600mah pack for use on both the ignition and Rc. I'm not a fan of this set up but its lighter I guess. Two to three flights don't draw more than 700mah.

This model requires quite a bit of down trim which is tricky on the ground as it wants to pitch the nose down. I have to hold up to neutralize the elevator and gain speed until the stab is flying then relax to neutral stick in the air.
Incidence issue I'm sure but I have not looked into it much further at this point.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:30 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by raptureboy
A gas engine doesn't need muffler pressure and if you had it hooked up like that before that may have been your problem. A 15cc engine does not have the power to swing a 4 blade prop, you will be way under powered. Stay with a 2 blade and save the 4 for display.

The old style Evolution 10, 15, and 20cc gas engines do require muffler pressure, the only gas engines I've seen designed that way. I don't think it was a particularly successful design idea evidenced by the fact that all of the aforementioned engines have been updated and re-released with pumped carbs.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:12 PM
Chris Nicastro

If the CG was tail heavy this plane wouldn't fly like it does especially on final. I can make very small inputs and it tracks nicely. I've done stall tests with zero, half and full flaps and it checks out just fine.
If it was tail heavy it would be unforgiving as it slowed down and to date I've see no evidence of this behavior. In addition I've yanked and banked it around chasing a fast foamy with no problem or departure in flight at speed.
No evidence of any CG issue that I can tell. That's why I suspect an incidence problem with this particular model. I didn't build it so I'm not sure yet. It's my buddies plane I fly it with him.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:22 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro

Yep, thats how mine is too, it also high speed stalls very easily, and like yours handles well at low speed with flaps. I crashed it at WOT on a go around due to the damned snap roll when I pulled back on the stick. It was flying too fast to be a wing stall. I dont think the tail is set right, the elevators have a very slight twist to them, they are both equal at the joiner, but the trim tabs are not even with the stab, one is slightly up one is slightly down when at neutral. I balanced it with a jessica rig(I think thats what its called). Ground handling is tricky on grass too, it likes to nose over even with full up.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:11 PM
Chris Nicastro

Ok, interesting, yours balanced ok though?
Just a thought but what engine and prop did you use?

I have marks on the wing next to the fuse I'll have to measure from the LE and compare to the book.
I'm yanking and banking at high speed and its stable so the CG must be right. I have seen even the Giant Scale snap out of a turn so I have been watching closely for that tendency.
When I roll it inverted I do have to hold some down to maintain altitude, thinking back on this weekends flight...

Anyway, its a crowd pleaser and knife edge passes at 10ft and 100mph get the old guys in the peanut gallery talking... lol

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 04-20-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:35 PM
5skyhawk172

test
Old 04-20-2015, 07:35 PM
Flying Fiz

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
The old style Evolution 10, 15, and 20cc gas engines do require muffler pressure, the only gas engines I've seen designed that way. I don't think it was a particularly successful design idea evidenced by the fact that all of the aforementioned engines have been updated and re-released with pumped carbs.
Hey Chad thanks for your comment. Your correct my Evo 15cc had a nipple on the muffler and the instructions were to connect my vent line to that, which I did. It was the first gasser that I've ever had a deadstick on so I think you might be right about it being a poor design.

So now I'm using the same engine (so no pressurised carb) and I have a vent line just going out of the plane with only atmospheric pressure. Will that be OK? I'm inclined to dump this engine and drop my OS 20cc gasser in it with the 4 blade prop.

Thoughts?
Old 04-21-2015, 07:48 AM
warhwk

I've had two TF P-51's. They both had a touch of permanent down trim even with a rear CG. They fly just fine and I never bothered trying to correct any incidence issues. With the retracts angled forward 3 deg, I have no nose-over tendencies.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:02 PM
Flying Fiz

It was a wet weekend so no chance to maiden the shiny new plane, and just as well.

I thought I'd better test out the engine some more before attempting flight and it became immediately apparent that under load the engine would fail instantly. This was because (despite what the HH reps advised me) this engine (Evolution 15cc) does need muffler pressure. The vent line to the atmosphere is not sufficient. So I took the presure nipple off my stock muffler and tapped a new hole in the Pitts style wrap around muffler, reworked the vent line to that and bingo! All Good. Previously as soon as I held the plane striaght up at near full throttle the engine died. Now it was good.

I'm away next weekend so the maiden will have to wait until the following weekend.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:54 AM
Chris Nicastro

Originally Posted by Flying Fiz
It was a wet weekend so no chance to maiden the shiny new plane, and just as well.

I thought I'd better test out the engine some more before attempting flight and it became immediately apparent that under load the engine would fail instantly. This was because (despite what the HH reps advised me) this engine (Evolution 15cc) does need muffler pressure. The vent line to the atmosphere is not sufficient. So I took the presure nipple off my stock muffler and tapped a new hole in the Pitts style wrap around muffler, reworked the vent line to that and bingo! All Good. Previously as soon as I held the plane striaght up at near full throttle the engine died. Now it was good.

I'm away next weekend so the maiden will have to wait until the following weekend.
Good save, that would have been a very bad day. I had a similar problem one time I got distracted while fixing a fuel line issue and didnt realize it. Took off and lost power. Not enough back pressure to feed the carb demand. I had to put it down immediately while turning gently to avoid the fence and 100ft deep gravel pit next door. Destroyed the plane even though it was wings level in the tall grass.

Best of luck on the eventual maiden. I suggest getting to know her up high and do slow flight and stall tests to understand how slow you can land. We have a 500ft runway with a fence at each end so my approach is as low as I dare over the fence and I still use most of the runway to settle it down and roll out. I do use flaps as needed for wind conditions. Its a great plane with no real bad characteristics like many Mustangs have.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:24 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, not many bad flying characteristics. Mine has a DLE 20 and Robart Air Up Spring down retracts. Almost 300 flights on this plane. Six years old an doing great so far. At 11 lbs takeoffs and landings are not bad for a warbird. Plan on landing on the mains, it get too slow with flaps to try to three point. Solid in the air, goes just where you point it, almost like a pattern plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	085.2.JPG
Views:	676
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2092909   Click image for larger version

Name:	080.2.JPG
Views:	627
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	2092910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang 1.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	689.9 KB
ID:	2092911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang 6.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	673.0 KB
ID:	2092912  
Old 04-29-2015, 12:53 PM
Chris Nicastro

OD Green Pattern Plane!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.