Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite 81" Spitfire

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Dynaflite 81" Spitfire

Old 05-25-2008, 07:53 AM
fvexecdir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynaflite 81" Spitfire

Hello all:

I've been working on a plans built Dynaflite Spitfire. Worked up a set of templates off of the plans. The fuse is done, the wing will be done later this week and the tail feathers are complete. I'm having a difficult time finding a canopy that will fit the model. I've pulled my own in the past, but am looking to save a little time on this step. Anybody got a suggestion on where I should look. My biggest problem has been getting people to respond. One source was recommended (shall remain unnamed) to whom I sent a check for the canopy. After several e-mails about delivery - no response. I checked out Dave Platt's model, not a fit. I've looked up all of the Google-able responses to "Canopy Spitfire Model" but have not been able to find a decent option. I do have an e-mail off to Kyosho America regarding their 90 sized spit's canopy availability. No response yet.

Anybody got a suggestion??

Thanks in advance.

Rick
Old 05-25-2008, 08:59 AM
alanc

Default RE: Dynaflite 81" Spitfire

bit of a treck for you, but DB models, in my country do a spit this size, canopy should fit, they have a website, just google it
Old 05-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Asanders

Hi Rick, I have on e of these beautiful flying birds. I also had a Brian Taylor 82 inch spitfire short kit. One day I was messing around ( I dont like the way the cowl set up is onthe Dynaflite) so I tried fitting the cowl that goes to the Brian Taylor spit what do ya know it is a real good fit. so I imagine the canopy would fit too. Although the down side is Brian Taylor has stopped making accessories according to the Bob Holman ( US distributor ) web site.
You still may want to get in touch with him. I have a canopy but it is going to one of our warbird friends in Australia who needs one.

http://bhplans.com/index.html
Old 05-27-2008, 12:34 AM
AlphaWhisky

My one in foreground here was bashed from the Dynaflite plan. About the only things i retained were the original basic outline and the wing ribs.

Main changes were to round off the fuselage and add the wingroot fairings. The wing was completely rehashed to accept retracts that work around the right way - not inwards like a P-51! The cowling was formed with four layers of nylon stocking over a foam plug and then glassed - very easy and very light.

I was stuck for a canopy too and borrowed an old Platt one. Filled it with plaster of paris to make a plug and then produced several of them. Gave the spares away to other builders and unfortunately didn`t retain the plug....

My model is getting on for five years old now but still flies great. Had three flights with it just this past Sunday. Power is an old OS 1.08 and auw from memory was just on 13 lbs.

Busy with iother things right now, but am getting mentally prepared to scratch build a Hurricane around similar size - IMAA legal and fit into my Mazda 6 wagon!

Alan W
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65881.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	957873  
Old 09-10-2008, 07:32 PM
RHarding
My Feedback: (3)

I have a NOS Dynaflite Spitfire that I think is going to be my fall/winter project. Your Spit looks real good. Please share your covering/paint with us. Any surprises or must changes in this kit? I'm thinking a Saito 150 for power.

Thanks, Richard
Old 09-10-2008, 08:24 PM
warbirdmustang
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I likewise have a NOS SPit kit that I am going to try and get built this winter. I have a Saito 180 I was thinking of putting in mine, might need the weight with all the extra detailing I want to add. It really is a great kit. As far as a canopy goes, I don't have a clue where to get one ready made, though. Does Dynaflight maybe still offer parts for some of the older kits if you call them? I'm sure the molds still have to be around somewhere for them.
Bryan
Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 PM
RHarding

Bryan,

Hobby Services has the plans and instructions still available, but not sure about anything else. My canopy came in the kit. The kit that I have was purchased from a widow of a fellow that I knew who had over 40 kits unopened when he died. Got a Midwest 84" AT-6 also. Both were great finds. Good luck with the canopy.

Richard
Old 09-10-2008, 10:31 PM
ccostant
My Feedback: (38)

You won't be dissapointed with this bird. It's one of the best flying fun scale planes around. I've had more people ask me who makes it and they're pretty bummed when they find out it's discontinued. Mine weighs in at 16 lbs, covered with super coverite/chevron paint, powered with an OS 1.60FX and it really hauls it around. Definitely go with the Robart retracts (Oleo version) made for this kit if you can still get them. I've been flying mine now for 5 years with a few hard landings and no problems with the gear. Two structural changes I recommend are to beef up the fuselage to stab area and also beef up the stab itself. It's all open frame construction and the stab will not hold up to high speed dives. Flaps are not necessary but would be nice to have. Other than that dress it up a bit with wing fillets, blisters, guns, and scoops. Here's a couple of pics of mine.

Name:	Jg13896.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	1030621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41324.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	1030622  
Old 09-11-2008, 01:01 PM
fvexecdir

Hey guys:

Surprised to see this thread still alive. I did some investigating into a good fit for the Dyna spit. I got real lucky and was able to find one from a modeler in Michigan. I'm planning an making a plug from the molded canopy that I have. If others are interested, that may give me the initiative to pull a few extras. Time is a little short right now, but I'd be willing to give it a higher level of priority.

Vic Catalasan <[email protected]> has Brian Taylor canopies that he sells for $25.00. There is also an hobby outlet in England that has the flat panel canopy (early Mk I) variant that would fit as well. Unfortunately I lost his contact info, but I think a Google search would probably result in some success.

This is a great flyer. Worth the effort of trying to find the parts. BTW, I do have templates for the model, if anybody is interested.

Rick
Old 09-11-2008, 01:24 PM
RHarding

Nice looking bird. I'm considering sheeting open areas including the stab and rudder/fin and glassing. Saito 150 or 180.
What you think.

Richard
Old 09-11-2008, 02:16 PM
warbirdmustang
My Feedback: (21)

I too am wanting to sheet the open areas and glass mine. Just for the record, fellas, my kit is complete and has it's canopy, I may have not made myself clear enough earlier. I saw one of these fly with an ASP 108 back in the early 90's and it flew great. I've been wanting one every since, and stupid me, I wait until they discontinue it and the price goes up before I buy it. I got the dang thing, though! I have flown a larger airplane with my Saito 180, and I don't think it will lack for power, but I think most of the engine could be concealed.
Bryan
Old 09-11-2008, 02:23 PM
AlphaWhisky

Hi Richard,

In reply to your post #5, I consciously kept weight to a minimum during construction. Although the fuselage is completely sheeted, I left the wing panels open. The model is completely covered with Coverite - both fuselage and wings. The fuselage covering was applied in panels and fixed with Balsaloc and then given a coat of clear dope after shrinking. I then gave it a couple of light coats of sanding sealer to close the weave.

The wing had similar treatment without the sanding sealer. Colour is watered-down water-based cheap (acrylic) housepaint applied with my cheap little plastic Badger air gun. I let all that dry for a couple of weeks and then gave the complete model a brushed-on coat of clear polyurethane.

All that was done about three years ago and apart from becoming a little tired, it is still going well - I had it out again this past weekend. In all its flights to date, it has never tipped on its nose once.

The retracts have failed a couple of times owning to airleaks - all fixed now - but the model lands easily wheels up on the grass on the air scoops with no damage at all.

Alan W

Name:	Ca82914.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1030929  
Old 09-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Mark in Michigan

I built (and rebuilt due to incidents) mine according to the plans, no retracts, covered with Monokote and used a Saito 150, which is too much power at full throttle. A 120 would fly mine just fine.

I agree about beefing up the stab, I got flutter until I rebuilt it and added a 1/8" plywood full width spar. No problems since.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:23 PM
ccostant

Just be careful not to add too much weight to the tail, the nose is relatively short and balancing may require more nose weight. Originally I had an O.S. 1.08 in mine and it flew OK but I felt I didn't have any extra power for dicey moments. With the 1.08 I had to add some lead to the nose to balance. With the O.S. 1.60 I did not need the lead.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:11 PM
RHarding

I have not read the entire instruction book yet, but can someone tell me if the instructions give an option of building with flaps.

Richard
Old 11-16-2008, 11:57 AM
RHarding

How did yours fly with the OS 160? I'm building one of these and can't decide what engine to use. I have a new G-26 that I've had for a couple years just waiting for a home but I'm afraid it wouldn't fit and would be too heavy. I'm considering, in the 2 stroke family, either a OS 160 or a OS GBX 1 3500. In the 4 stroke family, a Saito 150 or 180. I'm putting in Robart retracts and plan on covering with Worldtex or Coverite. This will probably bring the weight to around 12 lbs. Anyone out there with experience with this bird, give me some thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 11-16-2008, 02:24 PM
ccostant

Big improvement with the OS160/18x8 prop but mine full up weighs in @ 16lbs. The extra weight is from covering (super coverite/paint) and the extra scale details. All in all, 16lbs for an 80" warbird is pretty good, 12lbs would be great. It balances perfect with the OS160. With the OS1.08 I had to add some lead in the nose. If you're really close to 12lbs, the OS1.08 will fly it just fine. With the OS1.08 it was clocked at 90 mph on a level pass. With the OS160 it's got to be more like 105 mph. Again in the air with OS1.08 it was fine but on take off I felt it was borderline. The G-26 would be a good power match but I think it's to bulky for that narrow nose. Nice thing about the OS160 is it's not that much larger than the OS1.08 It really is a great flying airplane, I'm still flying mine after 5 years. Hope that helps.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 PM
RHarding

Thanks for the reply. The 12 lbs that I was estimating was considering the mfg. claims 10 1/2 to 11 lbs, so I just added 1 lb. for retracts, covering and paint. That was probably not enough. The engine compartment is really small on this airplane. I'm not sure a Saito 150 or 180 would fit. The plans show a 120 4 stroke, but I'm thinking that would be marginal. I'm running a OS 160 in a Great Planes Extra 300, Bison Pitts muffler and Perry pump and APC 18x6 wide. It's awesome. What muffler are you using? On board glow?

Thanks,

Richard
Old 11-16-2008, 09:57 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I know there was one on ebay because i was watching it , I dont know if its sold yet , but if you cant find it let me know , I can Pm the winner or the seller or try to give you a link , may be they can help
Old 11-16-2008, 10:00 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

scroll down this is the ebay seller for the plane , its has an about an hourt left

View larger picture

Current bid: US $305.00

Your maximum bid: US $
Place Bid >
(Enter US $310.00 or more)
No payments until 2009 - new eBay MasterCard
Current bid: Only $274.50 with your coupon

End time: 1 hour 20 mins (Nov-16-08 20:18:23 PST)
Shipping: US $9.95
UPS Ground
Service to United States
(more services)
Ships to: Worldwide
Item location: MN, United States
History: 29 bids
High bidder: a***b( 64)

Get SMS or IM alerts | Email to a friend

Listing and payment details: HideShow
Starting time: Nov-09-08 20:18:23 PST
Starting bid: US $9.95
Duration: 7-day listing
Payment methods: PayPal
See details

Meet the seller
Seller: therocketman( 30716)
Member: since Dec-05-98 in United States

See detailed feedback
Ask seller a question
Add to Favorite Sellers
View seller's other items: Store | List
Visit seller's Store:
TheROCKETMAN'S HOBBIES

Contact the seller instantly
Old 11-16-2008, 10:01 PM
ccostant

I'm just using the stock muffler hanging out the side. I know it's ugly but then again this plane is only sport scale. Besides like you said the engine compartment is pretty small and trying to get any kind of muffler in there is almost impossible. I do have an on-board glow, the unit from Electrodynamics.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Ratchet
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys,

I'm repairing a Spitfire that was crash damaged. Does anyone know the location of the CG for this bird? What about control throws? I don't have the manual or plans, so I'm doing this blind.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

=R=
Old 11-17-2008, 11:55 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys. The Dynaflite are becoming hard to come by. The Dynaflite kit was more or less a reduced version of the Meister scale Spitfire. They fly the same an will fly easily with a Saito 150. You can get laser cut short kits rather cheap and plans and parts still available.. That may be a good option.. I am currently doing a rebuild on one. I have made a couple ABS parts. A cheek cowl and wing coolers so far....The wing span is 96" but it is build as a 2 piece wing....

Ty

Name:	Om34202.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1073777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10098.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1073778  
Old 11-17-2008, 08:11 PM
mark IX
My Feedback: (9)

Rick, I sent you a PM regarding your Spit Canopy.

Mark
Old 11-17-2008, 08:28 PM
fvexecdir

Mark:

Got it. Thanks for the info.

Starting to cover the bird. Building it light, no retracts, and a Supertigre 90 for power. Had the plane in this configuration in the past and it flies very scale like. Can't wait to get it done and get it in the air. It is a sight to behold - this plane in the air. Everytime I see it, I'm reminded why this is my favorite craft to model. That plus the fact that this model is so easy to fly.

Thanks again for the info.

Rick

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.