Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

A6M2 Zero for 26cc gas pls help!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

A6M2 Zero for 26cc gas pls help!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Wherewolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6M2 Zero for 26cc gas pls help!

Hi all!

Could you recommend me some good plans or kit for A6M2 Zero for 26cc gas engine?
I need early Zeke only. An idea to build it from scratch is good, but.... %(
And maybe somebody seen somewhere suitable scale retracts for it?

Thank's in advance.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:16 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: A6M2 Zero for 26cc gas pls help!

I have built the Dave Platt Zero. It is a later verision Hamp but just taking the wings out a bit more and different cowl will turn it into a Zeke. I have been thinking about doing this my self. Shindin or Sierra Presicion make gear that would fit (Yellow aircraft or World models have an 80" Zero). Finished model could come in lower than 18 pounds and should fly scale like with your motor. I don't know if the 26cc motor would be completely in cowl. The plans are very very good.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:41 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the CMP hellcat, around 72 inch wingspan, It has a toro 25cc in it with an oversize carb, very similar to a g26 in size/power. If you can find a zero with about the same wing area and weight it should work.. As always the more research the better. The hellcat is VERY floaty and has no bad habits at ten and a half pounds. It even floats by me on landing approach as I am used to airplanes with much more drag..
Old 05-27-2008, 03:11 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

CMP makes a 71" Zero that is designed around a 120 four stroke. I know of a couple of people flying them with Brillelli 26's and they fly great. Nitroplanes has them on thier web page. Here is a link. http://www.nitroplanes.com/zerofighter120.html I just bought the 80" 50cc Zero by CMP from RCOnly and I had to call them. Thier prices where a little better and they just might have the CMP 71" Zero also. Here is a link to RCOnly's web page. http://www.rconlysite.com/ Remember I had to call RConly and talk to Barry. He told me he had the CMP Zero's in stock and maybe the 71" 120 size Zero. Good Luck.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:08 AM
Wherewolf

Thnks to all, but ARF Zeros are A6M5 while I am interested with M2
And Dave Platt Zero is a bit too big for 26cc I assume
Of cource fuselage plans can be reduced a bit, but Hamp has different wing, closer to M5

Why M2? I've seen photos of some 2 coloured A6M2 and I have very usefull Japan book
about it... got it from hlj.jp
Old 05-28-2008, 09:29 AM
carlbecker

Yes the Hamp has a shorter squared off tip but the rest of the wing is the SAME. If you add the rounded tip panel and change the cowl you would have a type 21. The Platt model at 15 pounds can fly scale like with an OS 108 glow. I am guessing but I would think your 26cc glow can spin a 16x8 prop better than 9k. My Platt Hamp has a OS 160fx in it. Its just a motor I had and it has way more than enough power. Saito 170 3 cylinder motors also power this plane. Jeff Foley flew one at I believe Top Gun at 19 pounds using a OS 108. If you are able to reduce the plans and change all the longerons and spars then figuring out the added tip size and shape should be a cake walk. the cowl would require more effort and I don't know if you will be able to hide the 26cc. Personally I don't want to have any of the motor visible at all.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I've seen the Platt Zero flown on an OS 1.08 as well and it flew nicely. I think, if built light, the Platt could certainly perform well with the 26cc gasser. As you say though, it is not an M2 and I don't know how much difference there is between the early and later model Zeros. The only M2 I've ever seen is the old Top Flite kit designed by Hal Parenti which was .60 size. If you could find a set of plans you may be able to enlarge it a bit to fit your needs. Good luck with it.

Chad Veich
Old 05-29-2008, 12:39 AM
Wherewolf

Thnks 2 all!

just cheked drawings... M3 and M2
different cowling, wingtip and aileron tip... that's all, it's good....
but a bad news is that I need 2.5 meter (98 inches) wing span to cower my engine completely in cowl
so I'll need new muffler to lower it at least to 2 meters....
Old 05-29-2008, 07:47 AM
carlbecker

Sounds like the Platt Zero is a decent fit at a bit less than 79 inches. Depending on how you want the Zero to preform the 26cc could do well. I guess a big problem will be the spark plug sticking out also. Platt uses a built in motor mount with fuel cell area. You would probably have to redo that also. The ailerons just continue out at the same hinge line to the wing tip. I think the cowl will be the time consuming part. I should have put my motor in side ways. I would have had a much easier time dealing with the exhaust plumbing.
Dbalsa has a cockpit for the Platt also. IMHO the Webra 120, Moki 135, Saito 170 are better motors for this plane.