Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Which 4-Stroke for the Hanger 9 Spit MKII

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
OS FS-91 Surpass
13.73%
Saito 100
31.37%
Saito 100 Golden Knight
5.88%
Saito FA-115
11.76%
YS-110
37.25%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Which 4-Stroke for the Hanger 9 Spit MKII

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 04:24 PM
The_Russian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 4-Stroke for the Hanger 9 Spit MKII

Which four stroke would you install in the Hanger 9 Spitfire MKII ARF?

OS FS-91 Surpass

Saito 100

Saito 100 Golden Knight

Saito FA-115

YS-110

I am looking for fuel economy and power, with power being the number one issue. All of these should fit, at least I think they will! This will be my first four stroke. I know of OS and the reliability, but I know very little about Saito and YS. I don't even know where to get YS engines. I want the airplane to be scale, so it must be able to pour the coal to a 4 blade prop and have an awesome sound.

Any input or other options are appreciated.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Nitrodan73
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Which 4-Stroke for the Hanger 9 Spit MKII

The Saito is plenty of power but you are going to get fuel running in the carburator like nobodys business. I have put 3 engines in this plane and the YS 110 has been the best because it is pumped. Unless you modify the tank position lower or put on a perry pump, you will never get the engine tuned right. I have had a Saito 100, Irvine 72 and a YS 110 in this bird. Finally I get to fly her without worrying that I'm going to lean out or deadstick.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 AM
PJ_TankPilot

ORIGINAL: The_Russian
it must be able to pour the coal to a 4 blade prop and have an awesome sound.
Then a YS 1.10 would be it. Plenty of power. For great sound you can run a straight pipe because it does not require muffler pressure. Also, you can put the tank on the CG for consistent balance throughout the flight. However, the fuel economy will not be as good as the other engines in your list.

I have one with a YS 1.40 but that is not in your list.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:06 PM
The_Russian

Where can I get a YS110 and what is a fair price?

How much time per flight are you getting out of the stock tank?
Old 06-11-2008, 03:17 PM
PJ_TankPilot

Where can I get a YS110 and what is a fair price?
A good place is Central Hobbies. They also sell a full line of parts.

When you can get them, new sell for about 360 USD. The past few years, manufacturing has not kept up with demand and during the dry spells, you must pay extra to get one from a scalper.

How much time per flight are you getting out of the stock tank?
Because the YS engine has a pressurized fuel system, I do not use the tanks that come with ARFs. I like Hayes tanks because they have no metal tubing and they will take the pressure without splitting or blowing out the stopper.

For a YS 1.10 I would put in a 16 oz. tank on the CG. Flight times will depend on how much nitro and how you fly. I don’t time flights but I would guess this combo would get 10 – 14 minutes.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:29 PM
skrez
My Feedback: (15)

Hi,
There`s one for sale right now on ebay. Good luck.
Regards
Old 06-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

I have used the Saito 100 with no problems.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:09 PM
The_Russian

Bump!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:21 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also used a saito 100 on mine. I do agree the fuel tank is a little high in the plane, but that can be lowered or you can use a perry pump. A lot less expensive then a YS. Also, most YS engines are not user friendly unless you know a LOT about 4 stroke motors. Some ppl have good success with them keeping them tuned, others have nightmares. Out of all the brands you listed....saito is the most reliable, with OS being 2nd. YS does produce the most power, but at a high cost.

Now...most early mark spitfires didn't use 4 blade props...but later marks did in increasing numbers.

None of the 4 strokes on your list will turn a decent size 4 blade prop effectively. The only real motor that will and that can fit in the plane is an rcv120-SP. It can turn a 15x12x4 blade prop. You MUST use a high pitch prop with an rcv SP series motor because it is geared. It is only running at about 5700-6500 RPM's at full throttle.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:52 PM
check6ii

You cant beat YS when it comes to performance. They run flawlessly and put out more power than anybodys engine in the same size category. Because they use a pressurized fuel system, you can put the tank pretty much anywhere. I use a stainless steel straight pipe on all of mine.

I wrap all my tanks in duct tape so they dont split. I havnt had any stoppers pop loose so far in20 years of using YS engines. A word to the wise-be careful when it comes to afterrun oil-the diaphram doesnt like that at all.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:10 PM
The_Russian

What do you guys think about the G20 gasser? Better or worse than a four stroke glow?

Folks are starting to throw ideas my way, and I want to explore all the options I have.

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ZENE20EI]Zenoah 20cc[/link]
Old 06-14-2008, 05:29 PM
kahloq

Would be difficult to fit. The Spitfire is a slender nose and the G20 is a big box. if you want to put a gas engine on it, maybe an evolution would be better. Remember though, that a gas engine is going to weigh a good deal more, plus if using electronic ignition, you need a separate battery for that as well. Im sure you could get a gasser in the plane, but you might not like the looks. Please read through the threads relevant to the H9 Spit here and maybe you'll find someone that did put a gas motor. Check rcgroups as well as theres a couple threads that way too.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:34 PM
windsheer

I used a Saito 100 on mine. The tank is way too high in the Spit. I have the low speed needle about closed. I didn't count, but would say around 3 turns closed. This also stopped the fuel from running into the carb when the engine stopped. Before the low speed needle was set, I had to pinch the fuel line closed. Put three flights on it so far after break-in. Very happy with the performance of both the plane and engine. Engine also idled lower after first flight. I've had fuel tanks too high before on other 4 stroke engines and they all run fine. The Spit is by far the worst tank install of any I've seen.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:18 AM
kahloq

I had that same issue too and ultimately lost the plane because the motor flooded.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:35 PM
alanc

is there any room to fit 2 tanks? one at the regular place, and a small tank tucked away near the engines needle centreline? this only needs to be the tiniest tank, use the main tank as a hopper, and feed the little fella, works for me on several models

Old 12-22-2008, 03:03 PM
skrez
My Feedback: (15)

Hi Guys,
I also use a Saito 100 and GP fueler, no dead sticks after about 30 flights.
Regards,
Frank
Old 12-22-2008, 06:16 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: alanc

is there any room to fit 2 tanks? one at the regular place, and a small tank tucked away near the engines needle centreline? this only needs to be the tiniest tank, use the main tank as a hopper, and feed the little fella, works for me on several models

Yes that could be done. It would be much simpler to just lower the tank position though. I was not experienced enough to know to do that when i had the H9 Spitfire.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:20 PM
RWHorton

YS all the way. On 3 of my planes I can't even get to the needle valve. Good fuel is a must. and resist the urge to fiddle with the engine. My 1.10 sits in a little tonie runs great and sound even better without the muffler. Set the engine up just like the instruction says and the engine will run, period! The ys's are not a standard 4 stroke, I am sure there is a lemon once in a while, but if you take care of the engine and don't abuse it it will last a long time.

Good luck.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Nitrodan73

By the way,

If you do get a YS, DO NOT put any after run oil in it! I found out the hard way and had to send in a brand new engine for a gasket replacement. The petroleum ate the silicone gaskets. Use 100% synthetic oil if you do use after run oil. Also don't use any refuel valves such as the Dubro. Use fuel dots. These are tips someone told me after the fact.