Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:20 PM
johnnyjet
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP Corsair

Hi
What torque and speed servos are you guys using on your elevator and rudder?

I feel that something around 100 oz-in in torque and less than 0.19 sec/60° in speed is called for.

Those of you using standard servos for the elevator and rudder I would not tell either.[8D][X(]

Johnny
Old 07-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

I just use standard Futuba 3004 with 57oz. of torque on 6V. If you fly this plane hard enough to require that kind of torque you will eventually have a control surface failure. These planes are notorious for the tail sections coming apart . If you have ever watched any of my videos you will see that aside from a high speed dive I do not fly my planes hard and I've had this and my P-47 both come apart in flight. Glassing and/or sheeting the tail surfaces is a good idea. Some, not all, have the problems. I would say at least 75% of the people I talk to ask if I've reinforced the tail section cause they've had similar issues. You really don't need that size servo, but to each there own. Regardless it is a wonderful plane to fly and looks awesome in the sky.

Shane
Old 07-21-2009, 08:24 PM
lynn1130
My Feedback: (10)

Futaba 3010s on control surfaces and 3004s on everything else. 6V battery.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:46 PM
johnnyjet

Hi Shane

Shoot me a link to your videos

Johnny

Old 07-21-2009, 09:01 PM
johnnyjet

ORIGINAL: Pit-Viper 1

I just use standard Futuba 3004 with 57oz. of torque on 6V. If you fly this plane hard enough to require that kind of torque you will eventually have a control surface failure. These planes are notorious for the tail sections coming apart . If you have ever watched any of my videos you will see that aside from a high speed dive I do not fly my planes hard and I've had this and my P-47 both come apart in flight. Glassing and/or sheeting the tail surfaces is a good idea. Some, not all, have the problems. I would say at least 75% of the people I talk to ask if I've reinforced the tail section cause they've had similar issues. You really don't need that size servo, but to each there own. Regardless it is a wonderful plane to fly and looks awesome in the sky.

Shane
Shane

Are you talking about KMP/ESM or Hangar 9 plane that you’ve owned?

Thanks man

Johnny
Old 07-21-2009, 09:08 PM
johnnyjet

ORIGINAL: lynn1130

Futaba 3010s on control surfaces and 3004s on everything else. 6V battery.
Thanks lynn1130 that’s about my thoughts also.

Johnny
Old 07-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Pit-Viper 1

My bad guys, I was reading the H9 Corsair thread and didn't realize I'd replied to this one.

Johnny you are correct about the servos, bigger heavier plane. Please disregard my last post. [sm=red_smile.gif] That's twice this week I've done this very thing, moving to Montana and got alot on the mind. Sorry guys

Shane
Old 07-21-2009, 09:48 PM
johnnyjet

Shane
No problem guy you like corsairs you’re a ok in my book.

Johnny
Old 07-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Tisoy909
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hs-5625 metal gears on 6.0 volts. gives 130 oz. @ .14 sec on the elevator and rudder. You figure it has to run those pull pulls in the back with bellcranks on the elevators better to run something stronger than just enough. no need to mickey mouse.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Pit-Viper 1

Glad to hear it..

Shane
Old 07-22-2009, 01:08 AM
VeeAte

I am going to be using Hitec HS-645MG servo's on the elevator and rudder.
Not sure about the ailerons, but will most likely run 645's on them as well. Overkill for the aileron's, but I plan on getting into bigger models at a later date, so collecting 645's probably isn't a bad idea.

Thanks for the info Pete.
I didnt see your reply until just now. Bloody email problems.

I will see how funds go a week or so before you send it. Then will decide what bits and pieces I need.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:42 AM
f4u19

can you post some photos of what you had to do to you exhaust to make it fit in the cowl. I have the same set up and need to know. Thanks
Old 07-26-2009, 01:29 AM
ScaleNVYflyr

Any one ball up their Corsair and have the canopy in good shape? I've just aquired one that needs a good canopy.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:03 AM
fred685
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been flying mine all summer. Has been a pleasure since I pulled the KMP gear and replaced with Sierra. I'm still using the KMP air system with no trouble. My problem was slop and binding. I was able to fix the binding by slipping in plastic shim stock. If KMP anodized them, there would have been no trouble. Aluminum on aluminum is just dumb. I have the KMP gear and wheels for sale if anybody is interested.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:19 AM
ScaleNVYflyr

I think alot have their gear for sale..
Old 07-29-2009, 12:17 PM
lynn1130

Did you have the stock gear in it or the generation V gear? Mine seem to be working fine so far (G-V) but then again I have not flown it yet. The static tests have been fine. I have also found that JB weld or red locktite solves most of the slop problems in gear. I had major slop issues with some CJ gear and that stopped after JB welding things in once I had it where I wanted it.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:49 PM
johnnyjet

Hi guys

I am a little leery of the wing dowels supplied with the kit.
What do you think about them?
Thanks
Johnny
Old 07-29-2009, 10:24 PM
lynn1130

I have not gotten to that part of the install yet. Still working on some mods but they did look a little thin to me at first glance. I had planned to either use copper tube and insert the dowels or go to a larger dowel and use copper tubing over those. Either way I usually give the dowels some extra support. Just overkill but I am that way.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:35 AM
Craig-RCU

I don't have the KMP Corsair, so I can't speak specifically about its wing dowels, but in general, manufacturers design the wing dowels to be a weak point so that they will break instead of the wing in a crash. I dumped my Great Planes Gee Bee a couple of years ago and the front tab holding the wing in place sheared and left the wing without major damage. I observed a club member crash his Top Flite P-40 while trying to land. The wing popped of on impact and was also left without major damage. If your wing dowels are comparable to Top Flite warbirds, I'd say that they should be fine, because Top Flite designs are well proven. Top Flite manuals are downloadable from the Tower Hobbies website for comparison.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:44 PM
JGO66

hello Iam new to the forum boards, but have been for couple years. I have been looking for a good scale looking retractable tailwheel for our size plane and can settle for less but would rather get my moneys worth. So I gave darrel at sierra a call because the one's ive seen on his site are for bigger scale planes and would be to big for ours, but he has the scale tailwheel that would just complement our plane even more. So I asked him if he would be able to make a smaller size to fit our plane and he said that he could but he would like to do it as a group buy rather than just producing one, he gave me a total of six people needed and would make a total of twelve just incase some others are interested. He gave me a price of 175, if any one is interested just email me at [email protected] or just post on here so I can get a list started. you can give him a call and ask for yourself, if you feel like this is not legit. thanks and I hope there are people interested in this 
Old 07-30-2009, 08:20 PM
VeeAte

I would love to setup a scale retractable tail wheel, but $175 USD is way out of my budget.

Interested to see how it turns out however.

Also doesn't this model need nose weight to balance? Adding stuff to the tail will no doubt make that worse.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:54 PM
kochj

does anyone have picts or is there a thread started about the upcomming 100"corsair??

Also,,,,,IF the prices are being droped, why hasn't KMP done so as well???

And. wtih this restructuring, why haven't they stoped building sooo many NEW planes and just work on making the planes that they currently
have A true ARF!......Starting with the manual, and then work on a truely thoughout design, with all issues covered.....

Yes they have taken the time to RE-tool there mustangs, spitfire, and others, but I can bet that it was a inefficient one at that.....

The reason why I sound upset is because this company has the possibility for greatness, but as a whole it seems
to be missing some very CORE components...in making there business successfull....
Old 07-31-2009, 02:02 AM
JGO66

Yea 175 is expensive and the tailwheel might require some extra nose weight(wont find out till I get it) but the good thing is that he is not asking for money upfront he said all he needs is a name a number he can get a hold of you at , and when the tailwheel is complete, because he still needs to fabricate one for our model he will give everyone a call which by that time gives us all some time to save for it. I just thought some people would be interested

Old 07-31-2009, 06:05 AM
VeeAte

Sorry JG066 my post after re-reading it sounded a bit ungrateful for your efforts. []

I think it would be a nice scale addition to the Corsair. And I am sure there are a lot of people that would be interested. I am in Australia so the conversion to US dollars and the addition of freight would blow the cost out a fair bit for me.

On that note does anyone know of a cockpit kit that will fit the KMP Corsair? There was a site mentioned earlier in the thread which sold kits for the Corsair, but the link doesnt work anymore.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:28 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Veeate,

I just ordered a cockpit kit from Dynamic Balsa; http://www.dbalsa.com/. It was on the high sde of my budget but I will let you know when it gets here if I think it was worth the money.

JG066, I am interested in the tail wheel retract, however I would like to know what it looks like. For something close to scale the price is not bad, however if it is just a retract unit I think I will pass.

Regards,

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.