Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP Corsair

Old 01-12-2010, 11:39 AM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: KMP Corsair

KMP has a new manufacturer? Whom?
Old 01-12-2010, 01:08 PM
johnnyjet
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: flytaildragger

The 74'' Corsair is the same as the first run, there weren't any changes. The 74 is manufactured by ESM and the new Corsair is made by KMP's new manufacturer. Bigger and better than before.
Flytaildragger

You may want to research the KMP/ESM corsair history a bit better.
Johnny

Old 01-12-2010, 01:18 PM
flytaildragger
My Feedback: (8)

I don't know the name of the company, it is still in China, however, I have seen the prototype new T-28 Trojan made by the new company to Andrew's specifications that will debu in late February. 81" wingspan, the new WWII planes are all going to be IMAA qualified and a great lineup is expected. The new series are to be called Signature series to separate them from the old ESM products. Most of the Warbirds will be 45-50cc engineered and the Saito 450 should just drop in most of the round cowled planes. The planes will be engineered for Robart retracts and the hardware will be acquired from US companys from what I hear. The T-28 was to debu last November, but Andrews eye for detailing sent them back to the design table twice since. The planes will be top notch with the T-28 and the AT-6 rolling out first, then a 88" Spitfire, the German planes next, the two versions of a F4U, as well as the common British and allied fighters. There are down the road plans for a Zero and a P-40. That is all I know, Signature Series=IMAA quality
Old 01-12-2010, 01:30 PM
flytaildragger

Hi Johnny, you must know something different than I, don't have time to research past the 1.5 years I have worked for KMP, but I am curious to listen. I own one too and I have never seen anything that is different today than it was then??
Old 01-12-2010, 02:01 PM
johnnyjet

Flytaildragger
Ok I did not know you worked for KMP but you’re doing a great job advertizing in the forms.
Here are a few of the changes.
Outer wing not aligning with inner wing panel until the batch before last
One Wing radiator was backwards in the wing panel until the batch before last.
Paint was flaking off on the first and or second run.
Funny thing was no one knew the changes that had been made until I pointed it out in this RE: KMP Corsair Form.(not even KMP of Candia or VQ Warbirds )
And the thing is,I love these Planes with all their faults still.
You and I Both know that first production runs (from china) will have their issuers.
But being first on the block to have a new toy means allot.
Shoot I paid the higher price for my KMP corsair but it was still worth it to me to have it in hand.
Johnny

Reason
I can’t spell never have never will.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:03 PM
flytaildragger

I just feel it important for you guys that have the same disease as me to get the scoop of what KMP is doing. Like you, when I bought my first KMP model, I was so impressed with it's look and feel and flyability, I had a hard time going back to the monokote covered balsa planes. ESM idiosyncresies is part of the reasons why Andrew and KMP split the sheets with them. Our desire is to provide a model of distinction that for the most part you will see a well done model in every way. Our goal is for the customer to make a purchase and instant happiness occurs when they get it. ESM had plans to increase productivity and go direct to the consumer. Well TBM is pretty smart in offering their OOPS warranty considering if you ever bust a wing or whatever, you have to buy a new kit. NO parts other than canopys or cowls are offered cause ESM has a lengthy time providing them. On this next lineup of Warbirds, KMP has the best interests in mind for you the consumer and Andrew emphatically cares about your experience with a product with his name on it.

The manufacturing phoopas you mentioned I wasn't aware of, all anyone ever called me about was how to make the flaps work. Never received many other complaints but I am not saying they didn't occur. It is ESM track record for the last year or so. It didn't use to be like that but companys change all the time. The new products as every new productline that Andrew introduces will always be better than the previous generation, our track record,.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:52 PM
lynn1130
My Feedback: (10)

Sorry to disagree "Flytaildragger" but I made you aware of the issues that Johnny mentions, ie flaking paint and the bad alignment of the wing panels. On top of that I also had some major problems getting the KMP gear to fit into the wing because of bad engineering. I too love the looks of the KMP/CMP planes but I do not like the construction issues that cause major frustration in putting these things together.

I really hope that you are able to correct these issues because KMP has lost value in the eyes of many, who in the past had said good things about the production.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:22 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

wow , I got one of the first KMP corsairs from Andrew , now I am afriad to start the assembly , I know my for a fact that one of my radator grills is backwards , so can I expect the wings not to line up and is it fixable ?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:41 PM
lynn1130

Do a dry fit and if they are out of alignment talk with Andrew about it.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:58 PM
DJ
My Feedback: (5)

My wings were off also. I built the model, fly's great. Just doesn't look so hot. Try this for a color match for the dark blue very close. Don't forget to check the mounting for the landing gear. Mine has no adhesive on them and pulled out.
DJ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39047.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1354997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36256.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1354998  
Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 PM
lynn1130

Yes and these are the issues that we as customers get little to no help on from some RC aircraft suppliers. It seems that a few are very good at customer service while others give that lip service and the buyer be damned.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:37 AM
LDM

well now , that sucks , I bought my corsair as the first KMP "quality lol " plane . I usually buy and bash CMP planes expecting more from my KMP purchase considering I was inticed into the $459 orginal cost and retracts that were over $200 lol , and you wonder why I would rather buy an ESM model for $300 and just deal with the quality issues vs the new KMP "coming soon line "?

I will have to unpacked it and see how the wings line up ,
Thanks for the tips and the paint suggestion
Old 01-13-2010, 06:38 AM
LDM

One more question , how can you build a plane with the wings are off ?
did you sand them to make them fit changeing the finsihed angle ? did you shim them and fill the gap? thanks
Old 01-13-2010, 09:02 AM
lynn1130

Someone with more experience correcting that particular problem may be able to help but I found that doing too much to try to correct the issue made me believe that the integrity of the wing could be compromised. I made an effort to correct the angle that the joiner fit in both sections and when it got to the point mentioned I stopped. There is still a 1 or 2 mm misalignment in one wing. If, you, like most of us strive for perfection that misalignment is maddening. The response from KMP was, RCers have to expect that they will have to do some work to make things fit, That is so much BS. I expect parts to fit correctly. If I make changes, then yes, I will have to make corrections to make my changes fit. Think about the number of products that we buy and have to assemble. How many of them require machining parts to get it to go together?

I'll mount my soap box again here and say that no matter what product you buy today they are not made to the standards that we used to see. The fact that we import lead tainted products from China should give you a clue about what the rest of the products coming in from there are like. That in mind, the QC people should be all over items coming in so that there are not the complaints from consumers that we are currently seeing. However, in today's business it is turn the product as fast as you can to make the profit.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:05 PM
flytaildragger

I agree with you Lynn, it is frustrating. THE PRIMARY REASON we no longer are associated with ESM. The new factory is like KMP getting to start over with a new hungry manufactuer that wishes to please the American consumer. The quality and easier construction is founded here by Andrew delaying the debut of the T-28 until it is sound and truly the model of distinction that it is supposed to be. The point of my involvement on this thread is to make sure that the disassociation between KMP and ESM is well known. I am pretty sure that the new lineup for 2010 will be a return to expectations we all want.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:00 PM
johnnyjet

Anyone remember Plane-plus that handled the FiberClassics aircraft line, exclusively in the US and Canada.
Well Plane-plus had a huge markup on the kits; they did not sell a lot but made a great profit on what they did sell.
FiberClassics wanted to sell more aircraft so they cut the 300% markup middleman out and started selling direct to the public; the company today is called Composite-ARF.

Plane-plus did start a new line of aircraft but the damage was done it went out of business a few years later.

I find a lot of time history repeats it’s self.
Johnny
Old 01-13-2010, 06:50 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Not exactly, Fiberclassics is still in bussiness but no longer imports to the US. They will still sell a kit but you have to arrange your own shipping and customs to get into the US. When I contacted them last year the most they would do was have it boxed and ready the rest was up to me. Sorry for the off topic.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:08 PM
johnnyjet

ORIGINAL: warks62

Not exactly, Fiberclassics is still in bussiness but no longer imports to the US. They will still sell a kit but you have to arrange your own shipping and customs to get into the US. When I contacted them last year the most they would do was have it boxed and ready the rest was up to me. Sorry for the off topic.
Randy
You are correct the name lives on but only in a shadow of its once empire.
I understand there was a split and 90% went to china.
Johnny
Old 01-13-2010, 07:17 PM
DJ
My Feedback: (5)

One more thing off topic, sorry. I'm currently working the COMP-ARF corsair, ARF, wing fold, Moki 250 ect. Put out the $$$$$$$$$ for all the top of the line materials. The landing gear will not fit in the a/c with out some major mods. I have to shim the front of the landing gear up .250" so that the wheel will go into the well so the gear doors will close properly. Which means the forward door will not fit cause the lading gear is sticking out of the bottom of the wing. Just because we spend a ton of $$$$$ on a model doesn't mean we get good quality.
DJ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30417.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1355526  
Old 01-13-2010, 09:00 PM
LDM

THis is what I love about this post , follow my logic please .
The corsair was released by KMP it was not the first plane released on the warbird line or the first plane released on 2008/09 by KMP
2)The project was (I assume ) authorized and supervised as best as possible under the normal import guildines and business model
3)The plane comes into the USA distributed 100% by KMP and the KMP brand name
4)Problems arrise in the QC and the now we assume "dont worry about the future KMP releaess , we have separated from the past factory , we ok from here on out because we care about quality '???? lol does anyone see my twisted logic in this business model ?
If I authroize the factory to make my planes , its 100% my accountability when sold and distributed under my brand as I profited by the reputation of my brand name .
If I wanted a KMP second hand almost fitting Corsair , reverse scoop in the wing and still untested /unproven retracts I would have looked on ebay for a deal from China .
Sorry , I am not ranting but trying to make perfact sence of a business that sold its total soul on quality and RC s like me bought into it and now we told well that is the way it is but you can count on our quality in the future ?
Old 01-13-2010, 09:18 PM
johnnyjet

DJ
Man I hope you get that worked out to your satisfaction.

LDM

I agree with you 100%.

Johnny
Old 01-13-2010, 10:52 PM
lynn1130

LDM- Well said and if we believe all that bull someone has ocean front property in Arizona they will sell us.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:08 AM
Flight 21

LDM- I am following you, and understand your position. But, isn't it possible that KMP was truly not happy with the manufacturer and that is the reason they pursued a new one? Sounds to me like they would have every reason to be concerned about the manufacturer as this thread is filled with complaints. I don't know this for sure or anything, just trying to make sense of it myself. I mean think about it - there's no way that KMP was happy about any of these flaws - it costs time and money dealing with these problems (not to mention their reputation). So wouldn't it make sense that they would be sick of the quality and try to improve the products under their name by seeking a higher quality source? While I completely understand being plane-shy to their products due to past quality issues with the ESM planes, I don't understand the logic of condemning a company for trying to correct past mistakes and sell a higher quality product. I mean that's exactly what we want more of in our hobby right? Obviously the only way to know is when they finally start releasing their birds and we see what the buyers are saying about the quality. Are they the quality KMP is saying or are they the same as past. Is it real - or is it Memorex!
Old 01-14-2010, 05:51 AM
slyms

Flytaildragger,

Are you associated with KMP? Judging by you comments I would say so. Many of your claims are either wildly innacurate (for instance saying that the new corsair is the same as the old version, and the constant mentions of infuence in ESM's design), or bordering on slander. There is one major reason why Andrew fell out with ESM and if it turns out you are involved with KMP and you continue to make these ridiculous comments then I may just have to say something!

If any moderators are reading this then I'm sorry I have to resort to threats to stop these ill worded posts, it's comments like this that potential customers read and believe. I know Tomas would never upset anyone by posting a reply but these comments must surely effect his sales. If we want to start talking about the history between KMP and ESM then I'm very close to making comment, being heavily involved in ESM's business. I have always had the greatest respect for Andrew but if these posts are coming from KMP I can only be pushed so far!

By all means push your new products, but why do you insist on constantly bad mouthing ESM with inaccurate statements.

Sym.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:43 AM
VeeAte

Personally I am sick of hearing about the company behind these models on a thread which is supposed to focus on the KMP Corsair.

Unsubscribed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.