Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:21 AM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

ORIGINAL: lbscottsdale

Brad and Moggy,
Just so you know I am not dead!!! All is on hold until the weather warms up enough to start painting outside. It's unusually cold here in Northern Arizona (snow actually on the ground!!!) for this time of year. Plus I'm going on a cruise in April! (Life's tough when you are retired!!!) Anyway should at least get the final version of my exhaust done. I'm brazing out of thin sheet brass. A little too thin for most TIG welders unless they have the magic touch!

Bought a cheap HVLP sprayer so there will be a learning curve with that! Any recommendations for initial pressure and paint dilution and did you guys use the ''catalyst'' on every coat or just the final one. In particular the first ''fill'' coat on the wings.

Cheers

Len
Hi Gents (man I dont know why I miss out on some notifications when some one posts here,,,, get most of them though)
Len good to know you are still plugging away with your build and yes mate I added the catalyst to every coat I did when using the Warbird Colours. I also added about (about) 10% distilled water. I just roughed it out but actually counted the drops sort of. About 30psi worked out well with the first coat being ,,, NOTHING MORE THAN A LIGHT MISTING of paint and left for about 10 minutes. This was achieved by adjusting the gun to only allow a small amount of paint to spray from the gun with the 30 psi. another light coat after that and more time to let dry. Grab the wife's hair drier and give it a blast. (Not too close or hot) After you have built up the first couple of coats you can lay it on a BIT thicker but not too much. Let it dry for another 10 or so then do your last coat that can be a bit wetter. Have a look back thorough the pages here and see how thin some of my initial coats were. Good luck.
Hope it warms up for you soon. The weather here has been beautiful.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 03-05-2011, 04:24 AM
Brad330l

I have rebalanced my spinner backing plate and had an up date that my exhaust shouldnt be tooooo much longer.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 03-05-2011, 06:34 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

My YA wheels/tires arrived the other day. Is there a secret to putting the wheels on the tires? I know that the halves screw together but it's tight fit on the tire and I don't want to screw them up!
Thx
Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Brad330l

ORIGINAL: DaddySam

My YA wheels/tires arrived the other day. Is there a secret to putting the wheels on the tires? I know that the halves screw together but it's tight fit on the tire and I don't want to screw them up!
Thx
I dont think I will be much help here daddysam because I received my wheels already assembled BUT,,, I have heard that soapy water will aid getting the tyre over the rim.
Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 03-06-2011, 05:51 AM
solarmusic

I drilled two small holes in the face of the solid side and screwed them down to the workboard with the threaded hub flange up. Then put the tires over the hubs and pushed down to snug against the screwed down side. Soapy water helps. Then oiled the threads of the flange and, by hand. turned on the upper open faced side until it snugged against the tire, Once there, I used a piece of wood to tap the open part around as snug as I could get. Undid the screws and, Bob's yer uncle. You can see mine on the plane a few pages back. Solarmusic
Old 03-06-2011, 06:26 AM
DaddySam

Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try.
sam
Old 03-13-2011, 08:14 AM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Calling - DDayWarbird,
I'd like more info on your spinner cut outs. Please post or email me at [email protected]

thanks - ken

"
I drilled 6 holes about 2 centimeters around into the spinner back-plate. I used a drill press and a few things in the shop. This was to lighten up the load on the engine bearings with this huge spinner. If you want some diagrams on how to do this I will show you. I did this my self and the balance is spot on. They are not as pretty as the machine shop, but then this technique did not cost any money and is very very easy. "
Old 03-13-2011, 01:11 PM
DaddySam

ORIGINAL: solarmusic

I drilled two small holes in the face of the solid side and screwed them down to the workboard with the threaded hub flange up. Then put the tires over the hubs and pushed down to snug against the screwed down side. Soapy water helps. Then oiled the threads of the flange and, by hand. turned on the upper open faced side until it snugged against the tire, Once there, I used a piece of wood to tap the open part around as snug as I could get. Undid the screws and, Bob's yer uncle. You can see mine on the plane a few pages back. Solarmusic
I took your advice and screwed one half of the wheel to a piece of plywood, which I then fastened in a vice. I then soaped the rim and threads and screwed the other half, with the tire, onto the secured rim. Worked like a charm!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	om32070.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	1578166  
Old 03-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Brad330l

Well the welder who is doing my exhaust is very busy and is now out of town for a couple of weeks so I have decided to fab up another exhaust made of thicker material so the guys at my work will have a better chance of tiging it together. Big industrial machines dont do lite plate,,,, so im told so I have got some 316 stainless pipe fittings and am shaping them to form an exhaust. I made another muffler flange and angled the face of both the 90 elbow and the 'T' piece to fit with clearance with-in the cowl. I'll hopefully get this lot welded together and then weld in some straight pipes at the right angle for the stubs.
Decided to paint my prop so primed the tips with white, masked them off, sprayed the matt black, and then masked again and brush painted the yellow tips. Rebalancing to follow. I have found some aircraft grade etch primer so I will be painting my spinner soon and then balance the cone.
Man I should have started this exhaust months ago.

Cheers,

Brad

Name:	Xv65612.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1580798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10571.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1580799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86166.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1580800  
Old 03-19-2011, 04:21 AM
solarmusic

See pg 48. I just dry sprayed mine ( two very light coats, just enough to cover ) right on the metal after a light steel wool and cleaning. I wanted it to be matte. Took 5 minutes. If I screwed up, easy to clean off and re-do. It's still there. My large cone starter doesn't touch it.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Brad330l

See pg 48. I just dry sprayed mine ( two very light coats, just enough to cover ) right on the metal after a light steel wool and cleaning. I wanted it to be matte. Took 5 minutes. If I screwed up, easy to clean off and re-do. It's still there. My large cone starter doesn't touch it.
Solarmusic and that was with the warbird Colours paint??

Brad
Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 AM
solarmusic

Actually it was a little bit of old Chevron "Sky" that I had kicking around. I barely had enough to do the stripe and the spinner. I've always just light sanded with about 250 or steel wool enough to give the paint something to grab and sprayed very light, just to cover. Not looking for mirror smooth anyway. Never had a chip. There isn't enough for anything to rub it off. It needs to cure a week or so. No problems. The plane is Warbird on the bottom and believe it or not Krylon on the top. I let it cure a long time because I was working on other things. Then a couple of thin coats of Lustercoat flat clear. I have found that the Warbirb gets softer than the krylon / Lustercoat . And I clean like crazy.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:12 PM
crashproof

Hey guys great thread. Ziroli Spitfire maybe 2 more weeks to go. ZDZ Super 80 Mez. 24/10 3 blade 100 in. WS. Kevin.

Name:	Vs55786.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1581666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86713.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1581667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37152.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1581668  
Old 03-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Brad330l

Actually it was a little bit of old Chevron ''Sky'' that I had kicking around. I barely had enough to do the stripe and the spinner. I've always just light sanded with about 250 or steel wool enough to give the paint something to grab and sprayed very light, just to cover. Not looking for mirror smooth anyway. Never had a chip. There isn't enough for anything to rub it off. It needs to cure a week or so. No problems. The plane is Warbird on the bottom and believe it or not Krylon on the top. I let it cure a long time because I was working on other things. Then a couple of thin coats of Lustercoat flat clear. I have found that the Warbirb gets softer than the krylon / Lustercoat . And I clean like crazy.
Yeah Solar I had read that you had used two different types of paint and just couldn't believe it would be so simple to paint the spinner with WBC's. Now you have cleared that up for me mate I will etch prime and paint.

Hi Kevin, thanks for having a look at our thread. Your Ziroli Spitty looks neet and I am guessing a MkV with that short nose. Have you balanced it yet? 80cc, mmm I will have to search this bird and check it out.

Cheers guys, off to paint a spinner.

Brad
Old 03-27-2011, 05:02 AM
Brad330l

With an impending test flight just a few weeks away (yeah right you say) I think the pilot will need a few instruments to guide him and something to hold on tight to, so while waiting for the exhaust to be completed I am having a go at some cockpit detail. A long way to go but I am having fun and I can improve on it all after flight testing is all done and I know the Spitty will have at least a bit of a life.

Printed pictures, the kit supplied control column extended and air hoses made from heat shrink and ali tape, some styrene sheet and balsa and glue and here I am so far.

Cheers,

Brad

Name:	Ay74122.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1584718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87960.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1584719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22100.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1584720  
Old 03-28-2011, 05:04 AM
PSJDBF

Details are looking good Brad.
I've just got something for you to dogfight with your Spit next time we get together, Finally got hold of another Zero, 91'' WS, hopefully will be done by the time we have our next meet.
They sure would look good together ( Darwin revisited ).
Cant wait to see the Spit maiden Vid.
Cheers Steff.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:12 AM
Brad330l

ORIGINAL: PSJDBF

Details are looking good Brad.
I've just got something for you to dogfight with your Spit next time we get together, Finally got hold of another Zero, 91'' WS, hopefully will be done by the time we have our next meet.
They sure would look good together ( Darwin revisited ).
Cant wait to see the Spit maiden Vid.
Cheers Steff.
Oh nice mate (thinking what kit it is,,hmmmm) I'll have a search if you dont want to tell
I have been thinking about getting the ESM 109e to battle your Hurricane too. Just waiting on a couple of quotes.

Here is some more detail for you. An hour and a bit and my O2 regulator is done.

Cheers,

Brad

Name:	Ki19031.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1585266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96822.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1585267  
Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 PM
PSJDBF

Looks great !, can be quite time consuming & adictive adding the detail Eh !.
The Zero is from Austars & they have given the manufacturer as 2K models but havn't been able to find anything on them?, but was directed to TBM who have what seems to be the same model specs etc, & looking at the build thread sounds like a good flier.Bought Wilkies Zenoah G80 twin for it which might be a bit of a squeeze fitting in the cowl but I have a plan !!.
The Esm 109E is a very nice looking plane I've been looking at that one myself but that will be a no go now, I think I might have already spent my years budget on the Zero.
Flew the Hurricane again this morning, landing was much better so slowly getting the hang of it !, & Wilkie maidened his Seagull Nemesis with a DL55 in it, bit of a BEAST !.
Been in touch with Patti in regards to a pilot for the Zero, they are pretty busy but have added me on the list !!.
Spitfire is looking real good cant wait to see it in person, How will the nerves be on the first flight, I guess with your flying experience it wont be to much of a drama.
Will keep in touch & John has mentioned planning our next meet so better get my A into G.
Cheers Steff.

Name:	Us55259.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1585591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32772.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1585592  
Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 AM
Brad330l

Oh mate that is so nice. It is going to look great in my (scratch built) sights.
I'll email you.

To all, my exhaust MkII is back in the hands of the welder mate for adjustment/welding.
Hopefully the 'stubs will be done soon and it will all fit together.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 04-03-2011, 02:10 AM
Brad330l

Got to build the undercarriage quadrant today. With out proper plans or dimensions I had to use a bit of licience and just went for it.
Should look OK with a bit of paint.

Cheers,

Brad

Name:	Tr50569.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1587897  
Old 04-03-2011, 06:03 AM
glazier808

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great details!

Casey
Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 AM
lbscottsdale

Nice work Brad.
Not much here... got the wing sanded but no primer yet and now i will be gone for 5 weeks When I get back you will probably be airborne!!!

Cheers

len
Old 04-23-2011, 03:50 AM
Brad330l

Finally got the exhaust well on the way to being sorted![X(]
My mate Adrian who is new to town and in charge of constructing a couple of bulk storage tanks for diesel in town here is a great Tig welder as well as an aeromodeller who likes Spitfires and wants to see mine flying.
He swapped a crane for an hour for the Tig equipment to bring home and we spent the afternoon drinking beer and putting the exhaust together. (Too much beer ,,,, that is why it is not finished!)

Very happy so far and with another couple of hours I should have a fully operational exhaust.
Next weekend could see taxi tests at least.

Cheers,

Brad

Name:	Zx72148.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1597740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97202.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1597741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33452.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1597742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43161.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1597743  
Old 04-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Brad330l

Here is a final picture (I promise) of the exhaust all together now. The stubs are tacked in and final positioned and all looks to line up pretty good.
They still have to be trimmed to length and yes they are smaller in diameter than the kit dummys but they are closer to scale and the others will be replaced with smaller ones at a later stage.
It is all about getting this ship in the air now.

Cheers,

Brad

Name:	Db85146.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1598478  
Old 04-24-2011, 05:10 PM
crashproof

Some Inspiration for fellow Spit lover's. Kevin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI3dx4eAKfU

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.