Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 63 of 72 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 1798

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Good to hear you are getting more flights on your Spittie, I wish to share my air valve and DL 50 plastic choke rod install. the air valve is from Hobby King and at $5.99 is a good price, I left it charge with air for 48 hours with no leakage. Both are installed in the exhaust stacks. Spittie now 95% complete, on target for a late May test flight! cheers - ken

my sites at www.mustang51.com and www.spitfire9.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good job again Ken. Please post all the maiden details. It looks like it is getting close.
    I will not be flying mine until I get my new battery set up. I am going with A123 6.6 volt packs. Got them coming and a new charger as well.

Cheers,

Brad
    Visit pilbaraaeromodellers.com
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, got my batteries as per this page http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200535687...ht_2757wt_1159
    and my charger from HobbyCity http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15042

They have charged up quite nicely so I hope they are good ones.
    I just wanted to post this so if any of you have had bad experiences with batteries like this maybe you could let me know.
    They are actually a fair bit lighter than the original 4.8v sub C packs I was running. I hope the one for the ignition fits under the engine in the cowl.[]
    Through the week I will sort the spinner and fly again on Sunday. Getting close to going down south for the warbird meet and I must get a few things done.
    I have been very busy with other life stuff and sick as well so time is getting eaten up.

Cheers,

Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf98365.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	1738277  
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I look forward to how the a123's work out. I'm still an old nicad guy using this system [link]http://www.hangtimes.com/parallel_packs.html[/link]

cheers - ken
    my sites at www.mustang51.com and www.spitfire9.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep, that is exactly what I was running Ken but my Nicds were just not up to the task I reckon so I wanted to get rid of them before something happened. They just did not want to hold a charge for very long and with my long leads to and from the RX and switches etc I just want to make sure.
    I will still be running the same set up you show, just with the A123's. Good to know it is popular.

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Brad, i have been using the 2200mah 6.6v life batteries for about a year with no problems and they lose very little charge if left, i left mine for one month and they both lost only 30 mah.
    I have two set ups and one that is flying it is in a T/F P47 3W85 at 35 Pounds.
    The set up in that is a separate 6 volt nicad with a heavy duty switch at the front for ignition.
    Two 6.6 volt life batteries into a smart fly via heavy duty switches. I am using
    HT 645 servo's and they take the 6.6 volts no problem the smart fly separates the power from going through the 14 channel Futaba receiver i have 11 servo's in the P47 and the receiver gets a steady 5.5volts as its regulated by the Smart fly and the servo loads do not go through it. the smart fly does not regulate the voltage to the servo's so what you put in is more or less what the servo's get.
    There are now high power servo's that you can use a 7.2 lipo with through the Smart fly but i have not used that system.
    I do not use lipo.s with regulators as i have used in the past as i had a regulator burn out and kill an aircraft.
    The second set up is in a Pica 1/5 Spitfire that i an putting in the electrics at the moment.
    Again 6 volt nicad heavy duty switch for ignition and two 6.6 volt life batteries through a Smart fly and two switches.
    The smart fly uses the two batteries at the same time and if one battery dies it will isolate that dead battery and keep using the second battery, well that's the theory i hope never to have to test it but for me the more redundancy the better.
    Dave.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Greetings fellow spitfire lovers. I have continued to make progress on my spit. As you can see in the pictures, I have glassed the wing using West systems. This was my first time using West systems products, so I made a one square foot test structure, as shown in the first picture. The first picture also shows the West systems products I am using. The standard resin 106, the slow cure hardener 206 and the microballoons 407 for the second coat of resin. The second picture shows what the resin looks like after the microballoons are added. The third picture shows the second coat of resin. The left side does not have microballoons and the right side (rose color) has the microballoons added. I have never used microballoons for the second coat of resin, so I wanted to try it on the test piece before putting it on the wing. The fourth picture shows the first coat of epoxy applied to the fiberglass cloth.

-Ed B.

Name:	Vs55941.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	1739216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aw70570.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	1739217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx61060.jpg 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	1739218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vp39526.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	1739219  
    Spitfire Brotherhood #185

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finished glassing the wing and am happy with how it turned out. I used two layers of 2.3 ounce cloth on the bottom to create a 4.6 ounce layer and a single layer of 2.3 ounce cloth on the top. I then proceeded to add some primer to see what needed to be done. After some sanding, things are looking pretty smooth.

-Ed B.

Name:	Ge95562.jpg 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	1739220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni22335.jpg 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	1739221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo29387.jpg 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	1739222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zs51368.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	1739223  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I took a break from the wing to do some work on the fuselage. I installed some rails for a sliding canopy and also made and installed a gas filler. The third picture shows an access hatch support structure that I made out of some scrap balsa for the two filler valves and two switches. This is the first hatch of this type that I have made, so I plan to install it in the bottom of the wing fillet, which is why the structure looks oddit has to fit to a compound curve. I'll post more pictures this weekend.

-Ed B.

Name:	Da83150.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	1739224   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu64391.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	1739225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dj11367.jpg 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	1739226  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great work Ed. So how do you rate the micro balloons?? Did they help fill the weave really well? I couldn't help but notice that your test piece (pic three) had a very thick covering of resin. Is this the case? If so did you cover the wing like this and sand, sand, sand? The picture of the full wing looks like you have done a lot of work and got it nice and smooth. You are really going the full yards with the canopy rails and slider, that is great. I was so lazy with mine, I think I will need to screw mine shut. Now, are these switches going to fit in the wing fillet?

With mine I have got a couple of jobs to do before my road trip down south to the warbird fly-in but nothing that could keep me out of the air. I'll report a bit later.

Cheers,

Brad

Just remembered you used 2.3oz cloth so you could sand as much as you want and not go through!
    Keep it up mate.
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Brad,

I liked using the micro balloons. This was my first time using any type of micro balloons for finishing and they work as advertised, i.e., they add volume with less weight than resin and are easier to sand. The micro balloons come in different colors. I chose rose, to differentiate the color over the resin without micro balloons.

Regarding the resin, I took that photo after applying a liberal amount of the second coat, with and without micro balloons, before removing any. I wasn't sure how long I had to work, but the temperature was about 55 F, so it turns out I had at least 45 minutes working time. I applied less resin to the wing and the sanding was not that bad. The wing looks like it has a lot of patching, but that was only because I used a different type (and color) primer that is inexpensive, just to see where the wing needed work. The only patching that had to be done is shown by the white areas. I am happy with how it turned out: light and strong!

I installed the switch and filler value support structure in the bottom of the fuselage in the wing fillet area. I haven't done many hatches in my time and didn't feel confident putting one in the side of the fuselage in the scale position.

-Ed B.

Name:	Ge96114.jpg 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	1741007   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa85636.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	1741008   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq38220.jpg 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	1741009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At54592.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	1741010  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That, my friend ,is very cool. I like it a lot.

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Brad330l

Yep, that is exactly what I was running Ken but my Nicds were just not up to the task I reckon so I wanted to get rid of them before something happened. They just did not want to hold a charge for very long and with my long leads to and from the RX and switches etc I just want to make sure.
    I will still be running the same set up you show, just with the A123's. Good to know it is popular.

Cheers,

Brad
    Brad,
    hope that cyclone is not hurting you guys too much.

Are you using regulators on these A123 batteries or just stright into the Rx and Servos? Thought the starting voltage could be a bit high? High not researched them too much but like you getting sick of NiCds and not overly happy with Eneeloops due to capacity and not likely high current draw.

cheers
    Peter
    fun police have struck again

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is some handy work Ed!

What is the travel for the canopy cylinder? Thanks

V.
    Remember: Speed is life!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vasek

That is some handy work Ed!

What is the travel for the canopy cylinder? Thanks

V.

Hi Vasek,

It is a 2.5" stroke cylinder from Robart that for some reason provides 2.75" of travel. It's the most travel that Robart provides in this size cylinder. I think 3.25" would be ideal, but I didn't want to wait for a special order from Robart. I will post some pictures or video of the canopy mechanism.

By the way, my wife and I have been to Prague twice and really enjoyed it.

-Ed B.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sierra do some extra long ones
    fun police have struck again

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Brad, i am running two 6.6 volt A123 life batteries into a smart fly to bypass the receiver bur the smart fly only regulates the receiver to 5.5 volt and does not regulate the servo power so my H/T645 have been working some time with the 6.6 volts no problem
    I am now trying the Chinese equivalent to 645 and so far so good with the 6.6 volts.
    As for the servo power going through the receiver with the 6.6 volts as you have i am not sure i guess it depends on how many servo,s you are running etc.
    Dave.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

ORIGINAL: Brad330l

Cheers,

Brad
    Brad,
    hope that cyclone is not hurting you guys too much.

Are you using regulators on these A123 batteries or just stright into the Rx and Servos? Thought the starting voltage could be a bit high? High not researched them too much but like you getting sick of NiCds and not overly happy with Eneeloops due to capacity and not likely high current draw.

cheers
    Peter
    Peter, the cyclone was a breeze Cheers.
    As for the A123's I am yet to plug them in but will this weekend. I have been informed that if your servos can handle 6v then all will be OK just plugging them straight into the RX. I'll be sure to let you know. Oh, my mate Keith plugs two packs into his RX in his Seafury like yours with no problems.
    Cheers for checking in Dave, what model are you running this set up in?

Brad (off to finish this bloody spinner and canopy frame!)
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

sierra do some extra long ones
    Thanks Peter. I think I would like more travel, so I will look at that this weekend.

-Ed B.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the same 2X 6.6 volts life batteries in a T/F giant P47 that has 7 flights 35 Pounds 10 H.T 645 servo's, and i am ground testing now a 1/5 Pica Spitfire with the same set up 26 Pounds 8 servo,s.
    Dave
    PS as of today now 9 flights.

Name:	Hf98187.jpg 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	1741890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn41785.jpg 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	1741891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz68863.jpg 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	1741892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ha78571.jpg 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	1741893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lw19997.jpg 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	1741894  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Of57780.jpg 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	1741895   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mo14792.jpg 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	1741896   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lk35309.jpg 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	1741897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr20611.jpg 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	1741898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eq77294.jpg 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	1741899  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vb20176.jpg 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	1741900  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dubs1946

Hi Brad, i am running two 6.6 volt A123 life batteries into a smart fly to bypass the receiver bur the smart fly only regulates the receiver to 5.5 volt and does not regulate the servo power so my H/T645 have been working some time with the 6.6 volts no problem
    I am now trying the Chinese equivalent to 645 and so far so good with the 6.6 volts.
    As for the servo power going through the receiver with the 6.6 volts as you have i am not sure i guess it depends on how many servo,s you are running etc.
    Dave.
    Righto, I have sorted the leads for the batteries and have plugged both pretty much fully charged A123's straight into the RX (via switches) and no problems at all. No chattering, buzzing or smoke .
    I hope they will work as well as they look like doing.
    I have done the new canopy frame and now onto the carbon spinner. Tick, tick, tick, time is running out.
    I have sorted my trailer with doing the wheel bearings and mounting a cargo net to hold the wings in their wing rack. Getting there, I leave on Thursday morning for the Warbird meet.

Nice Pica Spitty Dave. I still have the 1/6th scale one that my father brought for me when I was 14 or so. And I still run the OS 61 SFR we got at the same time. Man that has had some fuel through it and starts first time every time. (engine not in Spitfire but Midget Mustang)

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The static to flying spinner is now completed bar a coat of paint. I was given a little bench lathe from an old mate at work and this is what I used to set up the spinner to get he run-out trued. I got it to point one/two of a mm. This is closer than I could with the kit flying spinner. So hopefully it will work and hang together. No reason it shouldn't. It looks so much better on the model as well. The kit one is ugly when viewed from up close. This one is a much more scale out line.

Cheers, i'll post a picture tomorrow.

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Canopy frame all shaped and sanded. Just like the spinner (that is painted now) it just needs priming/filling and it's camo paint applied.
    Man this is like forced labour working to such a tight schedule, I lost almost two weeks with being sick and then the shut down at work and then flying for the skydivers.
    I think though by tomorrow night I will be up to date with what is needed on my models, now just have to fit them all in the trailer.[X(]

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have some yellow aircraft spit struts , can i get axels for these from yellow?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have you tried calling Yellow Aircraft?

Cheers,
    So many planes, so little time

Page 63 of 72 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast