Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 64 of 72 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 1798

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

they close at 5 and i work late and cant get a chance to call them . i bought a nice set of yellow spit struts and they didnt have axels , i dont know what the $ELL HE did with them. i'm guessing THEIR 1/4 axels ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

March 31, 2012 - A fantastic spring day by Winnipeg standards, +18C, I brought up the Spitfire from the basement for an engine run. The DL 50 engine has not been run in two years since it was taken out of an Extra 300.

The DL 50 was hard to start, I had to prime it three time, and ran hot, quitting after three minutes at 1/2 to 3/4 power. with the cowl off too. I will have to troubleshoot this engine snag. I also have an air leak, otherwise all the other systems worked ok. I has a $50 off code from Tower Hobbies and ordered a new DLE 55 as a back up, our flying season is too short to be grounded with a balky engine.
    cheers - ken

my sites at www.mustang51.com and www.spitfire9.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,

Looks great! The colors came out real well. You are going to love how this plane flys!

-Ed B.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #185

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys, my Spitfire performed very well at the Warbird fly-in this weekend just gone. I had three great flights and an engine failure with perfect dead stick return.
    The static to flying spinner conversion looked and worked great.
    I'll post some pictures and hopefully vid a bit later.

Cheers,

Brad
    Visit pilbaraaeromodellers.com
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great news... you are sure enjoying that plane.... Starting to paint again next week... should be done this year at least. I don't "forecast" any more

Cheers

Len

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finally got a couple of pictures to post. I have had computer problems getting them off the disk I was given.
    The Spitty was very popular with all the guys I talked with and it performed beautifully on flights one and two. (engine failure on third[X(])

Cheers,

Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd91926.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	1758559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg16817.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	1758560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx62865.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	1758561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oi14643.jpg 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	1758562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pa32444.jpg 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	1758563  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ne55546.jpg 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	1758564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mo15757.jpg 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	1758565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wv72562.jpg 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	1758566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz48793.jpg 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	1758567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wi49654.jpg 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	1758568  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jp68911.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	1758569  
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice photos, wondering about the engine failure on flight 3??
    cheers -ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kenair

Nice photos, wondering about the engine failure on flight 3??
    cheers -ken
    Yeah, me too mate. Have not had a chance to run the engine since but will try this week end.
    Have you sorted yours?

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi, I have not sorted out my DL 50 issue so I bought a new DLE 55 for the Spittie but I plan to get 8 to 10 flights on the new DLE 55 in my Extra 300 before installing it in my YA Spitfire, thus I'm 4 to 6 weeks away as the spring weather here has been windy and cool.

Another DL 50 I bought used this winter off the web as a back up has developed a case leak. I was running it up in the Extra 300 so I'm working through that one too.
    cheers -ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Keep plugging away Ken, I'm sure you will get it.

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Brad, should get your Vids done this week.
    My young son managed to download a virus on the computer beginging of the week & it's taken me till today to finally get everything running as it should esp the video editing programs.[:@].
    Will let you know when ready.
    Cheers Steff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Damn viruses!!! Why do they do it??
    Thanks mate I love your videos. Cant wait to see them.
    I still do not have a decent one of the Spitty so am hoping.

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Brad, those are lovely flying shots of your Spitty. It looks delightful in the air. Congratulations to the photographer too.

Reading the last few post here on your thread and being a recent convert to flying can I ask a question - why don't more people go electric?

As you'd know, Richard and I fly electrics - not park flyers but large, heavy warbirds - the 1/4 scale Spitty weighing close to 40lb. I read about the trouble with the engines, the stopping in flight, difficulty in starting them and see it first hand at the flying field. We see people struggling to start their engines, frustratedly flicking props, getting fingers/hands chopped with props while starting or tuning engines and wonder why there isn't the transition to electric. The most common reason we hear is that they don't sound like a warbird but in all honesty, a brush cutter doesn't sound like a Merlin either. The noise from a 26" prop flying a 30-something lb plane isn't silent!

We fly with a group of people at our club who all do electrics and they fly large warbirds - Corsairs, Spittys, jets and building ME109's, it's not foamy park flyers.

The lipo batteries were very expensive in the earlier days but a battery pack - whether it be lipos or A123's - to power a 25-30lb plane is $240. I'm currently putting together an 84" P-47 from Richard's moulds

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11032246

and the motor is sub $110 with the ESC similar and it will fly 6-8 minutes with recharge time 15 minutes.

I watched the problems Richard had with the engines for 30 years and the oily mess over the plane and having to fuel proof the paint ...... all of those problems are gone and I just wonder why more people don't go electric? Is it perhaps a lack of information on how to make it work?

Anyway, just curious.

cheers
    Patti

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Patti and thanks for your kind words. The Spitty was a real lady even in the strong conditions. Not too tidy near the ground,,, it was just get it up and get it down safely.

You know I think you are right about the lack of information regarding the 'new' electrics available for big warbirds. That and the difficulty of the power conversion to know what one needs. There are web sites dedicated to electrics but taking that first step can be a big one. A bit of "stick with what I know" type syndrome I think. Well I am a bit that way (but could be easily converted) I think a good mentor in a club is a good start or for those of you lucky enough to have some local hobby shops with knowledge is a real bonus. I have neither.[&o] BUT,,, there is a new member, Paul who knows what is doing on so who knows?
    Now we have the gas loving American,s some who will never change because they grew up with fuel models and have seen new development there but in the same breath the new age guys who lead the world in this electrical department.

Who knows????[X(]

Electrics have many advantages, one being no shift in CG during a flight ( unless of course a fuel builder puts their tank on the CG) BUT it is new age stuff and 'real warbirds' have engines right?? Hmmmm.
    There is also the (real) noise factor to consider. As we get built around we have to make less of it![:'(]
    I have actually been thinking of doing my new Fliteskin Spitfire as an electric. Yes you heard it here folks. I do not have a power plant for it as yet so I have been having a bit of a look. I am doing a Mk V so will have a nice big three blade prop and I might go a sound system. I, like many others though I'am sure are very apprehensive about shelling out for a couple of huge battery packs and have them 'puff up' after a few flights. I do electric foamies (and love them) so am learning more about battery use so it might not be such a big jump.

We had an absolutely gorgeous morning today and all we flew was electrics. Times are changing I think Patti. The nicest model I saw at the warbird fly-in I went to was and electric with sound system and he did the whole start up and shut down routine with sound. It was a real show.
    The concourse winner for the show was an electric (Hawker Hurricane) and it only had to do one flight to achieve this. Wonderful machine.

Cheers, Patti and please keep on doing it for us 'other' mob.

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh, sorry clicked wrong button.
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Brad

Thanks for your reply and your thoughts. I'm not trying to convert anyone, just curious as I said. I can understand sticking with what you know and the changeover being quite daunting. It certainly helps having someone who has done it and understands it all to call on and talk to. I look forward to seeing the electric MkV Spitty though Consider the A123 batteries if you are serious though. Way more robust than the lipos and absolutely no puffing. Been using them very successfully for a couple of years with absolutely no problems at all.

By the way, our warbirds is on in Bundy next month. If you feel like taking your trailer on another little road trip you'd be more than welcome over this side

cheers
    Patti

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: P4Patti

Hey Brad

Thanks for your reply and your thoughts. I'm not trying to convert anyone, just curious as I said. I can understand sticking with what you know and the changeover being quite daunting. It certainly helps having someone who has done it and understands it all to call on and talk to. I look forward to seeing the electric MkV Spitty though Consider the A123 batteries if you are serious though. Way more robust than the lipos and absolutely no puffing. Been using them very successfully for a couple of years with absolutely no problems at all.

By the way, our warbirds is on in Bundy next month. If you feel like taking your trailer on another little road trip you'd be more than welcome over this side

cheers
    Patti
    Oh goodness Patti,,,, I am still getting over this one!!! Thank you so much for the invite. I am using A123's as power for the RX on the Spitfire. Must see what is available to power big motors. Cheers.

Here at last is some footage of the Spitfire and my others from 'my' warbird weekend. Man it seems windier on the vid than on the day. I was pretty focused on flying so didnt notice the wind so much except for take off and landing that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt1zeWV3Swg

Thanks Steff, it was a difficult day for the photographers as well.

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello to All:

I have been making slow but steady progress on my spitfire and all the basic construction is complete. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer:

1. I will soon be adding flush rivet marks to the wings using a heated brass tube, like others have done. I have never made flush rivet marks before, so what size tubing are you guys using? 1/16", 3/32", etc.? Also, how do you make the flush screw heads for the access panels on the top of the wing. These are larger than the standard rivets, so I would need to use larger tubing, but how do you make the line across of the screw head where the screwdriver would go?

2. I plan to use Klasskote paints with an airbrush. Can anyone give me an idea of how much paint I should order for the three main colors (medium sea gray on bottom; ocean gray and dark green on top)? They sell 1/2 pints, pints and quarts.

3. From a book that I have on spitfire camouflage and markings, it appears that sky the correct color for the spinner and fuselage band. But see this>http://www.klasskote.com/military_colors
    This sky color appears too yellowish/greenish to me. Thoughts?

Cheers,

-Ed B.
    Spitfire Brotherhood #185

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Brad330l
    I am using A123's as power for the RX on the Spitfire.

Brad
    Brad what size packs are you using? I"m assuming you have two (?)

Thanks
    Remember: Speed is life!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am also using A123 packs on my YA Spitfire, using two 2300s for radio and 1 of the same size for ignition. I like the NoBS line form Hangtimes hobbies. I really like them, very efficient and no need to cycle like Nicads or NiHMs.

I have a question about repairing the wing skin. I got some battle damage from an errant ME109s prop today at WO Delaware. One good long "L" puncture through the skin and into the foam about 12" long and 1/4" wide on the longpart of the L  and then the short being just really scuffing up  the balsa and an inch wide and three long. What is the best way to repair this? I'm thinking cut and epoxy a strip of 1/8" balsa into both gashes, sand to shape then cover with fiberglass cloth a half inch beyond, feather in, prime and repaint or would balsa and thin G10 just over the new balsa be ok? I want to make sure any needed strength is regained. It's in the area of the roundel on the upper side of the port wing.

Whit

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys, good to see the old thread pop up every now and then.
    Ed as far as the rivets go I think you are spot on with the sizes you quote remembering that different sizes were used on different parts of the airframe so depending on how accurate you want to be a bit of reference material will need to be sourced. 1/16th being about 1.5mm x 5 equals,,,,, well you get the idea. The Zeus fasteners with the screw driver flat across them are simply a larger diameter mark on the surface of your model with a flat burnt in the middle with an appropriate shaped (sharpish) insert in your heat source.
    a 1/2 pint of each paint will easily do your model. Even covering the whole underside you will be surprised how little you will use. I got the larger tin of Warbird Colours and did not need it. The Sky colour could be purchased and toned down a bit with white if you wish or get the Warbird colours one.

With my batteries I am with Whit vasek. I have two 2300Mah A123's for the RX and will be getting another for the ignition. I am thinking that the last engine out I had was the Niacd ignition battery giving up the ghost so will be getting another 123.

Whit sounds like you had a lucky escape from that '109'. Doing a bit of formation flying were we??
    Your repair sounds fine. Out at that part of the wing I think as long as the foam is replaced say even with expanda foam and the balsa butted up nice and tight to the original and then glassed over then the nasty '109' will be a distant memory.

How about some more picture of all these wonderful Spitfires gents?
    It has been horribly windy here for a couple of months so I have been doing other thing but I shall get my Spitty out soon and have some fun.

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm happy to report that this morning, the maiden flight (finally) of my YA Spitfire MKXIV went very well. In all three flights were completed and the snag list has a few minor items. The DLE 55 ran very well using a Zinger 22x6-10 cut down to 21". Gross weigh less fuel is 25#-14oz, CG is at 5" - 5/8". Landings with 1/2 flap was predictable and stable.
    Snags are: air leak on right main gear cylinder - O ring must be hard, tail wheel steering very sloppy, JR statellite rx mount came off the fuselage inside, air pressure guage on instrument panel too hard to see, will remount on fuselage side.

I will have to add the cannons and the lg doors soon!

cheers - ken

Three photos after the test flight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wonderful news Ken.
    Thanks for letting us know and please post here anything else about your future flights.
    I'm sure you will find, as many others no doubt have that this is one sweet bird.

Cheers mate

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Three photos from this weeks fly-in, I got four more flights on the Spitty. I had to replace the 1/4" diameter 4" long hardware (cheap) grade engine mounting bolts that go through the firewall, thru maple standoff to the engine mounting lug with grade 6 or 8 bolts as the cheap one were breaking where the thread ended on the shaft, never had that happen on any of my planes before and I used the same mounting system, I wonder if that heavy spinner backplate is a contributing reason.

Landings are getting better with about 50 to 60 degrees of flap. This winter I'll add the tail wheel doors and the cannons.
    cheers - ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great shots of the Spitty Ken!! I'm so happy to know you are getting some flights in.
    Yep really need to get those gear doors and cannons sorted. I reckon they really finish things right off. Not that your bird looks unfinished.
    As far as the bolts needing replacing. It is all testing and development. One ship will just need a different set up to the other. I have changed little things on mine and the difference has been huge.
    I just love your 'Dark Green'. (Mmmm have I mentioned that before????)

Cheers,

Brad
    Spitfire Brotherhood # 5

Page 64 of 72 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast