Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

It's looking really nice Ed!!
Can't wait to see it all painted up

I have a week off after thanksgiving and plan to get out in the shop and get something done myself
Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ron101

It's looking really nice Ed!!
Can't wait to see it all painted up

I have a week off after thanksgiving and plan to get out in the shop and get something done myself
Hey Ron!

Nice to see you over here on this forum. Perhaps you are thinking about another WWII bird? I know you love your P51 and jets!

Cheers,

-Ed B.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:54 AM
lbscottsdale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Brad330l

ORIGINAL: lbscottsdale

Apparently I have been working on my Spit since June 2008!!! I checked the date on page one of this thread! Next year it WILL FLY!!!

Here's how it looks so far...Just finished painting.
Well you know what mate?? It is going to give you so much more joy for every minute you have put into it and for us the wait will be worth it too.
Looks great and keep plugin' away.

With mine I have to pull the engine as I think the mesh strainer in the carby is restricted with lint or something. This is after fitting a new ignition battery and me thinking I was good to go for a good campaign of flying.
Oh well, you never stop working on them.

Cheers,

Brad

Thanks for the encouragement. Sorry to hear about your engine troubles. I'm not too optimistic about the lint in the carbuerettor diagnosis. But you never know. Next step for me is to build the exhaust i plan to fit in the plane. Checkout the engine with that and then just assemble everything. Will post pictures before takeoff!!!!

Len
Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 AM
Brad330l

You are right about the carby screen mate. The thing was clean as a whistle. I have however narrowed it down to a U/S ignition unit.
I asked the question on the engine forum but got very little response.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11327414

Brad
Old 12-12-2012, 10:36 AM
lbscottsdale

Sorry to hear your problem. The voltmeter test across the plug is not valid as the output voltage is several thousand volts for a very, very short time. An oscilloscope could capture it but most voltmeters will not read such a short pulse. Either it sparks or it doesn't.. and as someone said you dont have to ground the plug as it is grounded through the cable. One possibility is that the unit is not receiving any (or inadequate) voltage from the pickup. To check unplug the cable going into the unit and measure the voltage at the end of the cable when you flick the prop. It will be brief but a voltmeter set on it's lowest range might pick up some signal. I don't know what the signal is supposed to be but should be 100mV hopefully more. Again an oscilloscope would be a big help. Finally do you have a mate in your club with a 3w setup? If so will he let you just plug your unit onto his pickup lead and let you see if you get a spark then? I would take measurement s for you but I am a 100mile away from my Spit until after Christmas
Cheers

Len
Old 12-12-2012, 05:29 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Sent you and Moggy my fix on the engine thread.

I ditched the blue dot and now run C&H ignitions on 3w-50, and a 3W -60. 4.8 volt 1500 or 1800 NiCads.
Same for my Brison's.

I just check my 3w parts box. No ignition modules but I do have both a forward and a reverse pickup module.
Years ago we had some UAVs prototypes that had a rear engine 3W. They had to have that particular pick up.
Not sure exactly but it did.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 AM
Brad330l

Thanks Mike, yes I will check out the C&H ignition if mine ends up being U/S.
My mate Keith has a 3W as well so I will borrow his unit to check things out.

I have just found this one that seems to be a good price.
http://www.dlenginesaustralia.com/dl.../tmm-etc-.html

Cheers, and cheers Moggy,

Brad
Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Flyfast1

I hope everyone is well.

I am ordering paint and am hoping that someone can help me with two colors for my spitfire:

1. What yellow is used for the recognition stripes on the leading edge of the wing? I have several Spitfire reference books and even a manual on spitfire markings, but they don't provide any details on the exact yellow. I never realized there were so many different shades of yellow until I started looking into it. Seems like every country has their own shade of yellow. LOL! There is RAF Trainer Yellow>http://www.klasskote.com/military_colors Tower Hobbies also sells it in Model Masters here>http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHN09&P=7 but for some reason it looks "pinkish" to me. Perhaps just a bad photo? There is also Insignia Yellow>http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHG12&P=7

2. What red is used for the gun covers? Roundel red, or a different red? They covered the gun ports with fabric, yes? Has anyone tried to model the fabric, or do you guys just paint the area red?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-Ed
Old 12-18-2012, 11:30 AM
AZThud

Hi Ed how are you? and Seasons Greetings

I will venture into the cross hairs of the colour police and say that you are looking for a colour close to ID Yellow FS 33538 as it would seem Mr. Google says Klasskote has one that would suit the bill link below
http://www.klasskote.com/product/KKAMCIY33538

Others call the colour, insignia yellow and companies like Testor's, Humbrol and other paint tin (plastic scale model paints)make paints to that FSnumber just about any hobby shop should have some.

Regarding the red over the gun ports, it was some sort of tape not sure that there is an exact colour reference, it was applied generally after the guns were reloaded and made ready for sortie. The Inignia red used by the RAFwas more of a brick red, to be honest Testor's red would appease most of the colour police and be better than RAF insignia red. If you are going to weather your plane remember that the tape was applied regularly after reload, so don't weather it with gunsmoke stains :-)

Good Luck

Cheers
Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Duplicator41

This information is from "British Aviation Colours of WWII" and is the official camouflage, colours and markings of RAF aircraft, 1939-1945 source.

The yellow is trainer yellow. The tape itself was red and the color itself is not referenced. It does appearto be an official color called matt red which is quite distinct from roundel red.

Warbird Paints is perhaps the closest color match to any of the WWII colors used on both sides.

Cheers,
Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Flyfast1

Thanks to both of you for your help. I guess I need to look into this a little more and then choose some colors. I am using Klasskote paints, so I just need to determine whether to use the trainer yellow or the insignia yellow? For the red, I will just pick something that looks good.

Thanks,

-Ed B.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 AM
Brad330l

ORIGINAL: Flyfast1

Thanks to both of you for your help. I guess I need to look into this a little more and then choose some colors. I am using Klasskote paints, so I just need to determine whether to use the trainer yellow or the insignia yellow? For the red, I will just pick something that looks good.

Thanks,

-Ed B.
Just to clear things up a bit guys the machine gun ports were covered by doped fabric or canvas not a tape. I have been doing a bit of reading lately researching my next build and found that even linen was applied and not painted at times as red was not available.
Check out this picture. Looks pretty close to 'Roundel Red' to me.
http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviati...ineGunPort.jpg
The more I read the more I see that what ever was available at the time was used to get the thing in the air.
Have some fun I reckon and let some loud mouth tell you it is wrong. You will know you are not far off.
I am yet to detail my wings and part of doing so will involve simulating outer gun ports covered with fabric painted with 'Roundel Red'. I will redo the leading edge stripes with the 'Insignia Yellow'

Cheers,

Brad
Old 12-19-2012, 08:04 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It's likely that the doped fabric is the same color as roundel red used on fabric planes. Since there is not color mentioned guessing that it has it's own special name is just conjecture on someone's part (the author of the book). I believe I have that very same book, long out of print.

Can you just imagine the conversation during the last days of the Battle of Britton? "Mates.. we cant go up against Luftwaffa!!! We are OUT OF THAT SPECIAL RED COLOR!!!!"
Old 12-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Duplicator41

Brad, you are correct about the doped fabric etc., which was applied using red oxide primer/dope. As far as the yellow, its official name was identification yellow and it was used on trainers, prop tips, markings and undersides of prototype aircraft. My reference sources are a color chart chart taken from "Colour Standards of the Ministry of Aircraft Production first issued in September of 1942, with subsequent additions from the Standard of Colour Gloss and Smoothness for Aircraft Finishes by the Ministry of supply. My otherreferences are Camouflageand Markings, RAF FighterCommand 1936-1945 and theIPMS Color Cross Reference Guide by David H. Klaus.
The closest color match to the red oxide primer is FS 595a #30109.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40332.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1831965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99943.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1831966  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:43 AM
BobH

Well I for one are glad we got that cleared up! lol. Makes sense using red oxide primer. No doubt that was in abundand at the service depots.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The red fabric covers over the guns served a couple of purposes. 1) They could tell if a gun did not fire 2) It would help keep the guns from jamming due to debris or cold weather 3) At a glance you know right away the guns are serviced and ready to go

What I never really understood was why somebody thought it was a good idea to paint the leading edges yellow. You want your opponent to be disoriented and have a hard time seeing your position at a glance. I wonder if these markings helped or not. Its not like the Spitfire looked exactly like any German fighter they fought. They felt the need for them regardless so was it more for AA Batteries and observers on the ground in England?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:17 PM
BobH

In the beginning the RAF used head on attacks. From that perspective the Spit and 109 don't look all that different. So a decision was made to give better recognition for the RAF.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Moggy
My Feedback: (9)

BobH, if that is so then why did the machines of the BOB not have any yellow? Yellow wasn't introduced until the new gray and green scheme in 1941. Not trouble shooting but the BOB schemes didn't have yellow on the leading edges.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Moggy

BobH, if that is so then why did the machines of the BOB not have any yellow? Yellow wasn't introduced until the new gray and green scheme in 1941. Not trouble shooting but the BOB schemes didn't have yellow on the leading edges.
I'm just guessing but it could be that it was during the BoB that the issue with head on recognition became apparent and so the yellow was introduced to aid the situation. The Japanese also used yellow leading edges for the same reason.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:33 PM
Brad330l

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Moggy

I'm just guessing but it could be that it was during the BoB that the issue with head on recognition became apparent and so the yellow was introduced to aid the situation. The Japanese also used yellow leading edges for the same reason.
Yes and because the Japanese used yellow the Australians and Americans used white leading edge stripes in the Pacific theater.

Brad
Old 12-20-2012, 10:43 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They should have painted them with respect each country's racing colors! Germans were silver, Brits were British racing Green(sexy), French was blue(yellow is better), Italy is red, US is white with blue stripes(can you say Shelby GT-350), Aussies are green and gold etc
Old 12-26-2012, 06:35 AM
Brad330l

Well it looks like my 3W ignition unit is fried. I received the RCexel module from DLE Australia and put it together and had spark straight away when tested. Same plug, same battery, different ignition. I got the engine running and tuned the mixture needles but am not getting full power so will do the timing, when time permits. This is good news and for the price I am very happy. The Spitfire will be flying soon.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 AM
OldScaleGuy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brad, i had a new (but out of warranty) 3W ignition that failed. This fellow fixed it for me for a very reasonable cost. Shipping may be an issue for you but i thought i would mention it if you would like to repair the 3W and have a back up. Contact GR8FLYER55
Old 12-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Brad330l

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

Brad, i had a new (but out of warranty) 3W ignition that failed. This fellow fixed it for me for a very reasonable cost. Shipping may be an issue for you but i thought i would mention it if you would like to repair the 3W and have a back up. Contact GR8FLYER55
Thanks Old Boy, yes I won't be throwing the 3W one away (throw nothing away it just might be useful for something) so i'll keep that in mind.
I am off for a break for a couple of weeks so the priority when I return will be sort the Spit.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 12-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Flyfast1

Brad, I am glad to hear that you were able to determine the problem. The RCexl ignitions have been around for a while now, so hopefully you'll have a reliable setup.

-Ed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.