Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lbscottsdale
Well Brad, Chad and a lot of others on this thread I cannot believe that it's been 7 years since Brad started this thread but I am finally happy to say "It's FINISHED"
Here's it first picture. Won't be flying for a couple of months as we will be touring Europe. Definitely will post video then!!!
Cheers

Len Brown
Hopefully picture appears here...things have changed in the last 7 years!
She's a real beauty Len, congratulations! I very much would like to see the Spit, and yourself, in person at some point in the near future. Please consider participating in our One Eighth Air Force event in October. The Spitfire would be a most welcome addition I can assure you. I am still working on one with a friend for team scale competition but have not updated my build thread in quite some time. Progress slowed for a while but is picking up again and I hope to join the three wing sections in the next week or so. I modified the wing for scale flaps and ailerons which consumed a great deal of time but I am very happy with the results. I'll post some pics to my thread soon. Onward and upward!
Old 04-23-2015, 02:42 PM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Len, she's a beauty. Hope you catch an airshow ot two over in Europe. Cheers. Ken
Old 04-23-2015, 04:02 PM
lbscottsdale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ed
Power is a DA 50 turning a 3 blade 20x12 MEJZLIK and a custom muffler that forms the first two exhaust ports on the port side.
Runs fine on the bench but haven't started it in the plane yet. It is noisy, not really a "muffler"! Didn't make the lightweight balsa tail assembly that many did in this thread. What a mistake...took almost two pounds of lead in the nose! Still came in at 24lbs 12 oz.
Thanks for the congrats... been a long road!!

Cheers

Len
Old 04-23-2015, 04:12 PM
lbscottsdale

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
She's a real beauty Len, congratulations! I very much would like to see the Spit, and yourself, in person at some point in the near future. Please consider participating in our One Eighth Air Force event in October. The Spitfire would be a most welcome addition I can assure you. I am still working on one with a friend for team scale competition but have not updated my build thread in quite some time. Progress slowed for a while but is picking up again and I hope to join the three wing sections in the next week or so. I modified the wing for scale flaps and ailerons which consumed a great deal of time but I am very happy with the results. I'll post some pics to my thread soon. Onward and upward!
Hi Chad
Will definitely get in touch when I get back with a view to the October show.
Thanks and

cheers
Len
Old 04-23-2015, 04:14 PM
lbscottsdale

Originally Posted by kenair
Congrats Len, she's a beauty. Hope you catch an airshow ot two over in Europe. Cheers. Ken
Not too many airshows on this trip..mostly to Norway and the Arctic!!!

Cheers and thank you
len
n
Old 04-23-2015, 05:15 PM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

Well done indeed Len. She sure is a beaut. A long road but the part of the journey where you are standing in front of it is awesome. Now the really hard part,,, flying it haha. (you will be fine I am sure)
Well done as well to ela who has recovered wonderfully from some damage. The canopy looks well at home there mate.

Cheers to all from Brad who has had a major life change but still with modelling in my heart. (all good though)

PS. Pete, finish that bloody P47.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lbscottsdale
Hi Ed
Power is a DA 50 turning a 3 blade 20x12 MEJZLIK and a custom muffler that forms the first two exhaust ports on the port side.
Runs fine on the bench but haven't started it in the plane yet. It is noisy, not really a "muffler"! Didn't make the lightweight balsa tail assembly that many did in this thread. What a mistake...took almost two pounds of lead in the nose! Still came in at 24lbs 12 oz.
Thanks for the congrats... been a long road!!

Cheers

Len
Len,

Thanks for the details. Nice job with the functional exhaust.

Your Spitfire should fly great at that weight. Mine is 27lbs and flies just fine. You will love it!

-Ed B.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:01 AM
flyingchef
My Feedback: (93)

I have the Y.A. Spitfire kit and probably will eventually build it if it doesn't sell. The only problem is that I don't have a canopy and will really appreciate if someone could direct me to where I could find one, (two is even better!).
An aluminum spinner would be great as well!
Thank you,
Bruno
Old 04-25-2015, 08:15 AM
CRJDriver
My Feedback: (57)

Bruno, these items are still available for purchase from Yellow. My good buddy just purchased 2 canopies.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:51 AM
flyingchef
My Feedback: (93)

Great, I was under the impression that yellow A. was out of business.
Thanks.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:09 PM
Georgiadude2012

Is there anyone out there that can help me with a Spitfire Build. Its the Worlds model spitfire 80".
Thanks
Old 06-17-2015, 09:15 PM
Brad330l

Originally Posted by Georgiadude2012
Is there anyone out there that can help me with a Spitfire Build. Its the Worlds model spitfire 80".
Thanks
Georgiadude you did the right thing by starting your own thread. A much better way to get direct help from all the good people.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...uild-help.html
Good luck mate.

Brad
Old 07-11-2015, 05:57 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been offered a Yellow Spitfire kit, but not sure what it's worth. Anyone?
Thanks
Old 07-12-2015, 07:08 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Just the kit? No gear ect?
Old 07-12-2015, 07:09 AM
TLH101

Just kit, no options.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:44 AM
BobH

Some where in the 450- 600 range would be my guess. Depends on how bad you want it and how bad the seller wants to sell. You maybe can find some Yellow retracts ect. Or go with Sierra or Shinden.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:08 AM
TLH101

Thanks Bob, I expected about that, but the only ones I saw for sale were very old ads, and there is no info anywhere on original prices.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:43 AM
BobH

Terry,
I bought and built a YA Spit years ago.. Seems as though the price was in the $650 range when new. Just the kit and nothing else.
Wasn't terribly expensive from what I remember.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Those last went for $515 new. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:06 PM
TLH101

Thanks for all the info.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:24 AM
nigefay

Default YA Spitfire Restoration

Hi guys, not sure if this thread is still live but after a weeks vacation in Palm Springs reading through the thread I feel a real sense of history as I read everyone's experience. I am a Brit now living in Las Vegas and have just acquired a YA spit from my buddy. You can see it in this picture in its original color scheme but I am in the process of doing a little refurbishment and reprinting in a traditional grey/green with invasion stripes.
i have flown this plane a number of times and know how well they fly. It is fitted with a DLE 55 with onboard starter which always creates a stir! Also helps with the nose weight!
i will post some pics of the work I'm doing when I get back home. Incidentally Palm Springs air museum has a mk XIV spitfire in the museum so I've been able to take loads of photos of all the detail stuff. I'm not a detail scale guy but will probably do more on this plane than I've ever done before.
Off to Best in the West jet meet for the weekend, then looking forward to pressing on with the restoration.

Last edited by nigefay; 10-15-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:31 AM
nigefay

Old 10-16-2015, 02:58 AM
Brad330l

Originally Posted by nigefay
Hi guys, not sure if this thread is still live but after a weeks vacation in Palm Springs reading through the thread I feel a real sense of history as I read everyone's experience. I am a Brit now living in Las Vegas and have just acquired a YA spit from my buddy. You can see it in this picture in its original color scheme but I am in the process of doing a little refurbishment and reprinting in a traditional grey/green with invasion stripes.
i have flown this plane a number of times and know how well they fly. It is fitted with a DLE 55 with onboard starter which always creates a stir! Also helps with the nose weight!
i will post some pics of the work I'm doing when I get back home. Incidentally Palm Springs air museum has a mk XIV spitfire in the museum so I've been able to take loads of photos of all the detail stuff. I'm not a detail scale guy but will probably do more on this plane than I've ever done before.
Off to Best in the West jet meet for the weekend, then looking forward to pressing on with the restoration.
Hi nigefay and welcome. This thread is always alive and ready to see more Yellow Spitfires. Not much happening I know but the Spitty is always on my mind to get going next. I have had a huge life change (all for the good) so all in good time.
Good luck with the restoration and please post here as much as you wish.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 10-18-2015, 06:01 PM
nigefay

Thanks Brad, love your posts of your spitty build, really informative thanks. Just returned from Best in the West jet meet in California and really looking forward to finishing initial work on the spit. Hoping to have it ready to fly at a warbird meet in Vegas early November so need to crack on!
i will post pics along the way.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:31 PM
Brad330l

Thanks mate it has been a great experience with this model. Met loads of nice people and had some, although not enough great flights out of the Spitty.

Cheers and good luck with getting ready. Post away.

Brad

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.