Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:08 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HeyBrad what is new mate? I see you are leaving Pt H? All good with you I hope.

You will be be please to know that the P47 is now going through the "weathering" stage, all very light and subtle. A coat of clear then fit some gadgets into her and it is done. Must be nearly 12 years now!! OMG!

Now build that bloody P51 !!! I'm still flying mine.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:40 PM
nigefay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuselage finished for the moment, I love building but hate painting! Maybe because I'm not very good at it, but at least it's looking respectable. Wing is almost done so hopefully be in good shape for this weekends giant scale meet in north Las Vegas.
i know I'm missing the pilot but he will arrive soon, any ideas where the best place to source one? It's been a while since I saw it discussed in this forum and I'm not having much luck searching the Internet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1200
Size:	590.7 KB
ID:	2128812  

Last edited by nigefay; 11-02-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:01 PM
nigefay

Made it to the giant scale fly in at North Las Vegas. Only got two flights in until a problem with the onboard starter put paid to any further flights. Great flights though and I can't wait to explore its capabilities some more. Going to pull the innards out and rearrange it as it's very difficult to access anything.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1032
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	2129577  
Old 11-08-2015, 06:23 AM
Brad330l

Good on you mate. It is nice to be able to finish a model off to go to a fly-in. And fly it haha,

Cheers,

Brad
Old 11-16-2015, 08:47 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nigefay

Made it to the giant scale fly in at North Las Vegas. Only got two flights in until a problem with the onboard starter put paid to any further flights. Great flights though and I can't wait to explore its capabilities some more. Going to pull the innards out and rearrange it as it's very difficult to access anything.

Hi,

What's the power-plant? What on-board starter?
Old 11-18-2015, 05:12 PM
nigefay

It's a DLE55 with an onboard starter from Mile High Hobbies which they use on the EME55. Works a treat normally but just had to upgrade to a new control unit as the old one didn't take too kindly to 3 cell lipos. Looking forward to getting some more flights on it now.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:29 AM
John8861
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Guys,

I hope that this stream is still alive. I picked up a painted Yellow Spitfire last fall and have gotten it to the stage of control throws and CG. Does anyone have that information? I will also need some idea as to the degree deflection on the flaps.

Thanks,

John
Old 01-24-2016, 03:09 PM
lbscottsdale

Talking

Originally Posted by John8861
Hi Guys,

I hope that this stream is still alive. I picked up a painted Yellow Spitfire last fall and have gotten it to the stage of control throws and CG. Does anyone have that information? I will also need some idea as to the degree deflection on the flaps.

Thanks,

John
I am sure you will get an answer shortly.. for now the CG should be 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 back from the L.E. at the root...I know because its still marked on my wing. If You don't get a response in a few days I shall dig out my instruction book or just measure my Spit.. its set to the recommended throws. You used to be able to download the instruction book direct from YA.. maybe you still can.
Cheers

Len

Found book!! AIL 7/8" UP/DOWN.....EL 1 1/8" UP/DOWN RUD 2" LEFT/RIGHT FLAP 85 DEGREES

Last edited by lbscottsdale; 01-24-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:08 PM
kenair
My Feedback: (10)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A pic of the manual with the throws, I find throws are a matter of personal preference, I have 3/8" on my ailerons and elevator while flying, 45 degrees max flaps and will not use flaps if I have any significant head wind, and am balanced a bit nose heavy. I really enjoy this model. Cheers.

Name:	image.png
Views:	916
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2143310  
Old 01-24-2016, 07:58 PM
John8861

Thanks guys,

i can't wait to get this model flying in the spring!
Old 01-24-2016, 08:06 PM
lbscottsdale

I have yet to fly my Spit and am only an intermediate pilot so maybe I should go with your throws for the first flight or so..what kind of roll rate does it have with 3/8 on the ailerons.
Len
Old 01-25-2016, 04:30 AM
kenair

Hi, it does a very nice barrel roll at 3/8, must have lot of height. the complete manual is at http://spitfire9.com/yaspitfiremanual.pdf and pics of the YA spitfire plans are at http://spitfire9.com/yellow.htm

I set two sets of throws on the dual rates. cheers - ken
Old 01-25-2016, 09:07 AM
lbscottsdale

Ken. .thanks for the input. Now just a wait for some better weather...
Cheers

Len
Old 01-25-2016, 09:56 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lbscottsdale
Now just a wait for some better weather...

Better weather???? Are you no longer in Scottsdale Len? The weather has been gorgeous! The "Winter Warbirds" event was last weekend out at Sun Valley Fliers and the turn out was absolutely spectacular. Would have loved to see you and the Spit in attendance.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:18 PM
lbscottsdale

Red face Weather in Scottsdale.....

Hi Chad,
Yes I am still in Scottsdale BUT we have another home in Chino Valley near Prescott. The Spit and my workshop (and me today!) are in Chino Valley where right now it is cold. I fly at the Chino Valley club, as well as belonging to Scottsdale Model Aviators who fly at Scottsdale Community College. I used to belong to Sun Valley Flyers but now only maintain that membership for my son who will possibly be the pilot (faster reactions!)on the maiden flight. (I should really have someone who is familiar with the Spit take it up first time. The Spit is finished except I have not run the engine in the plane which I have to do before taking it out to any field!! I checked the power line for spikes at the receiver ( becauseI have a long run from the batt to the Rx (18")) with a scope and was really surprised to see 1.5v spikes when the sticks were moved aggressively. (0.5v) at quiescent, no stick movement. (These digital servos pull a lot of current!) No significant difference noted (well .3v) when connecting the battery direct (4" leads) to the receiver. The Rx battery is 4 cell NIMH and I have changed it out for a 5cell 6V NiMH. to give me more headroom at the receiver. (Any comment?) I am leaving for a few weeks on Feb4, back the 21st. Where do you fly..I'd like to come out to the field sometime in March .. watch a Spit expert at work...

Cheers

Len
Old 02-14-2016, 10:21 AM
John8861

Hi guys,

After reading almost the entire thread I wanted to ask specifically Leo, Spychalla Aircraft if you had made a template of your gear modification as indicated on page 3 of this thread. As previously mentioned I inherited this Spit and am unsure as to whether or not a modification on the gear was made. I would really appreciate it if you still have the template and can forward it on here.

thanks,

john
Old 02-14-2016, 02:32 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone have a source for a canopy? I have been flying an old yellow spit that I bought used and the canopy is in horrible condition. But the plane flys nice so I would like to refurb it a little.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:54 PM
crazystick

Just found this video, Spitfire The Pursuit of a Dream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WLxrePTYp0 Thought that all would enjoy! Hope to one day build my Yellow Spitfire

Crazystick
Old 08-04-2016, 04:27 PM
DrYankum
My Feedback: (11)

Just picked up a yellow spit kit. I will be installing a die 55 ra and need to move the firewall back for the installation. Does anyone know if the original firewall has any right or down thrust built in. Rather than removing the entire firewall, which is glassed in well, I plan on cutting the firewall out, leaving about 3/4 inch of the plywood still attached to the fuselage.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:26 AM
kenair

Hi, this thread may help http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...-spitfire.html

I'm using a DLE 55 in my YA Spit, I did not move the firewall but changed the standoff length and cut a hole in the firewall to accommodate the rear carb, not sure if this will work with the 55RE. I like you choice of engine, I would have chose it had it been availiable back then.

additional info links here http://spitfire9.com/yellowbuild.htm

cheers - ken[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR="class: transTableHeader"]
[TD="class: normaltextbold"][/TD]
[TD="class: normaltextbold, align: right"][/TD]
[TD="class: normaltextbold, align: right"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 08-05-2016, 05:20 AM
DrYankum
My Feedback: (11)

Great idea on shortening the standoffs. The trick, I guess, is to cut them even and square so that there is no thrust changes
Old 08-05-2016, 06:28 AM
kenair

Originally Posted by DrYankum
Great idea on shortening the standoffs. The trick, I guess, is to cut them even and square so that there is no thrust changes
I would not worry too much on the thrust changes unless you are a pattern flyer, I fly a roll, loop, and low passes.
I initially used maple block standoffs with a bolt right thru, but I kept breaking the bolts after three or four flights, so I had exact length aluminium standoff made by a local modeller, they are tapped on each end for a 1.24" long x 1/4 inch bolt. they have been fine for a couple of years now - say 30 flights.

I also eventually lightened my spinner backplate by hand, a log of cutting and filing, i found it help the engine spool up faster. the group backplates photo is from Don's machine shop a while back.

I hope to fly mine this weekend, it will be the first time this year, it's a great flier.
cheers - ken

Name:	kk_dl50_ya_spit_001.JPG
Views:	841
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	2175854   Click image for larger version

Name:	kk_dl50_ya_spit_004.JPG
Views:	815
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	2175855   Click image for larger version

Name:	kk_dl50_ya_spit_006.JPG
Views:	800
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	2175856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38912.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	2175857   Click image for larger version

Name:	backplates.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	2175858  
Old 08-05-2016, 07:55 AM
AM6

Dr yankum

if using the Re the choice is very limited as the supplied rear exhaust will only just
clear the firewall with the supplied standoffs.
Are you thinking of using another form of pipe or something....might be interesting?

fwiw I think the Dle35 or 55 are both perfectly suited to this application
With the 35 being ample in most situations??

happy landings.
Am6.

Last edited by AM6; 08-05-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:33 PM
lbscottsdale

Default Side and down thrust

Originally Posted by DrYankum
Just picked up a yellow spit kit. I will be installing a die 55 ra and need to move the firewall back for the installation. Does anyone know if the original firewall has any right or down thrust built in. Rather than removing the entire firewall, which is glassed in well, I plan on cutting the firewall out, leaving about 3/4 inch of the plywood still attached to the fuselage.
If you place the cowl on the fuse from your new kit you should see that the plane of the front has some down thrust and side thrust. I don't think the firewall has. I used a DA50 on the standard supplied stand offs and had to face the firewall with a sheet of 1/8 ply to fit. (standoffs were just a little short) I was able to match the thrust angle with 3 washers under the standoffs made from 30 thou (from memory) Al sheet. Could have been slightly thinner or thicker it was just a piece of scrap that I cut them from!
Whoever said that it was not a big deal unless you are a dedicated pattern flyer was right.... There are enormous forces at work!!!!
On an unrelated topic I used heavy duty digital servos throughout.. even where I didn't need it like as in the throttle control. This was not a good idea. The spikes generated on the initial movement of the servos dropped the battery voltage dangerously close to the receiver cut off voltage. (2+ V spikes on 6v supply) At first I thought it was the wiring but not so. Anyway I had to resort to a LiPo supply and a voltage/current distribution system. With less super power servos I could probably have got away with a Lipo or LiFe and a simple voltage regulator for the receiver.!
Good Luck

Len Brown
Old 08-08-2016, 08:22 AM
John8861

Hi guys,

I am glad to see this thread is still active.

Does anyone have a spare Spitfire wheel.
I accidentally broke one of my spokes and was wondering if anyone had a spare lying around they would be willing to sell me.

Thanks,
John
312-518-0075
Please give me a call if you do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.