Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:04 AM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The complete YELLOW AIRCRAFT SPITFIRE thread.

Just a quick thought Mark,
I am planning the clipped wing version so wont be using the wing tips but is there plans with the kit to show what I will need to achieve this?

Brad

Brad, the kit does not come with the alternative plans for the clipped wing version, but that should be easy enough to accomplish by looking at picture references. If I had it to do over, I might go for the clipped version too if for no other reason than avoiding the wing tip "issue" completely. Should get a little snappier performance too.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding the clipped wings. If you research this you will find that they created the full scale clip wing versions in the field by fitting carved down wood pieces on each wing tip. Duplicating this in the model version is just as easy. You can just bond a block of balsa to the wing tip and carve it down. A true scale representation of this will only yield a wingspan of about 79 inches. I purposely cheated it up to 80 inches on the one I built because I did not want any controversy at IMAA events. Flight performance does "NOT" improve. It is degraded slightly. Flown side by side with my son's full wing Spitfire it is about 5 mph slower on top end with all other weight, engine, and prop details equal. Also, my airplane will enter a high speed stall if you pull too hard. The full wing version will not do this. I've done it twice over the past 5 years and it scares you to death because the airplane is going about 100 mph but it is not flying. The only way I was able to save it was cut the throttle and push the stick down. Not a natural thing to do when you are heading toward the earth so fast. I am very cautious doing a loop and/or a split-s with it. Most of the time I will avoid these maneuvers all together. The full wing version can do both of these maneuvers hauled in tightly with no fear of high speed stall. Leo

Shots 1 - 3 below are full scale. Shot 4 is the model.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56146.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	984847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12818.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	984848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13419.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	984849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35548.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	984850  
Old 07-06-2008, 11:49 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The Yellow Spit has ailerons that are too long. They more resemble the high altitude version of the plane. It's a simple fix to change them and make the more scale if you want to do that.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:29 PM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using a G 62 in my yellow spit
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to hide the exhause or intake??
Old 07-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Brad330l

My Mate and flying flying buddy has just become the sole Aussie distributor for Warbird Colours (colors) so my search for a paint system has come to an end.

http://www.warbirdcolours.net/default.htm

No appoligies for a free plug and helping hand for him to all of us here in Australia.
I'm sure any one of you who have imported it from the States has had great service over the years. It is just that this stuff is here now so postage times will be greatly reduced.

On ya Baz!!!

Brad

give Barry a poke in the ribs from me!!
Old 07-07-2008, 04:30 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a carb intake adapter made by Toni Clark of Germany. It would make it much easier to hide the carb on the G62. Maybe a Bennett muffler slim profile, or you can buy a wrap around pitts and maybe have it cut down to fit within the cowl. Just some ideas.
Sam
Old 07-07-2008, 04:44 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

hey Brad, don't forget to finish that P51, it has only waited some 20 years

I'll get Bazza to nag you about it!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Brad330l

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

hey Brad, don't forget to finish that P51, it has only waited some 20 years

I'll get Bazza to nag you about it!
Hi Pete, yeah I couldnt believe it when Baz was saying he got some stuff off of a 'Peter'. I knew straight away it was you saying I have talked to you for a couple of years now.
We have a long history up here with Pilbara Aeromodellers.
Yes the P51,,,, it is at least closer now with the foam wing from CJ.
I will have some serious thinking to do when the Spitty arrives.
All in good time ay?

Cheers,
Brad
Old 07-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Brad330l

ORIGINAL: Spychalla Aircraft

Regarding the clipped wings. If you research this you will find that they created the full scale clip wing versions in the field by fitting carved down wood pieces on each wing tip. Duplicating this in the model version is just as easy. You can just bond a block of balsa to the wing tip and carve it down. A true scale representation of this will only yield a wingspan of about 79 inches. I purposely cheated it up to 80 inches on the one I built because I did not want any controversy at IMAA events. Flight performance does "NOT" improve. It is degraded slightly. Flown side by side with my son's full wing Spitfire it is about 5 mph slower on top end with all other weight, engine, and prop details equal. Also, my airplane will enter a high speed stall if you pull too hard. The full wing version will not do this. I've done it twice over the past 5 years and it scares you to death because the airplane is going about 100 mph but it is not flying. The only way I was able to save it was cut the throttle and push the stick down. Not a natural thing to do when you are heading toward the earth so fast. I am very cautious doing a loop and/or a split-s with it. Most of the time I will avoid these maneuvers all together. The full wing version can do both of these maneuvers hauled in tightly with no fear of high speed stall. Leo

Shots 1 - 3 below are full scale. Shot 4 is the model.
Leo that picture of your Spitfire is just excellent Mate!!!
In regards to your preformance of your and your sons (ex)Spitfire I find it hard to believe the difference in that yours will high speed stall to the point of you not wanting to do loops and split s's. I am in no way disputing this or your ability or building I just am spinning out that the model will do this. I have no doubt also that CoG and elevator travel is not an issue either.

Brad
Old 07-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Brad,
yeah bazza is a real card, great fun! Will have to get over that way one day and av a beer or 2!

Well you know what they say about time . . .

It is like saying to your kids, yes I will play with you tomorow . . .

cheers
PEter
Old 07-07-2008, 10:28 AM
BobH

With the narrow front end of the plane its impossible to hide the exhaust. As mentioned Tony Clark sells an adapter that moves the carb from the side around so it faces from the rear. I'm not sure how well this works in the Spit. If I were to use a gas engine in the plane I'd use one with a rear carb intake like a DA50. or 3W etc. I used a Moki1.8 and the entire engine was hidden with the exception of the very tip of the cylinder head. The muffler was a pitts style and exited from the bottom, again very unobtrusive.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Brad330l

Pictures Bob?
Please show us a picture of your Spitfire.

Brad
Old 07-07-2008, 05:40 PM
BobH

Brad let me find a picture. I sold the plane and it was built before I had a digital Cam.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:21 AM
Brad330l

Yee Ha!!! Got my servos receiver and switches and stuff.
Now, where is this model Spitfire. Oh man I cant wait any longer!!![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Brad
Old 07-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Brad330l

Tonight I have printed out the tail plane plans that Chad has so kindly sent me. I tried at work but couldnt get it right but here at home with the trusty old Cannon and a bit of resizing in 'Paint' it has worked out real beaut. I think I have them about 1/32nd or so bigger on the provided scale on the plan. Now for me that is close!!![sm=49_49.gif]
Tomorrow it is take them to work and make some copies for the ironing method. (work has lots of paper)
Nice size tail plane it will be too.

Brad

Name:	Yw68565.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	986862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89065.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	986863  
Old 07-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Brad330l

Hey Guys, what retractable tail wheel are you using if not the Yellow A/C one?
Did you put one in at all? I see Leo did not.

Here are some pictures of what I would like to achieve.

Brad

Name:	By76652.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	989414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93426.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	989415  
Old 07-13-2008, 12:18 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Brad, I'm sure there are other options out there but on my Platt 1/5 scale Mk.XII I used a B&D nosewheel retract unit for the tailwheel and it worked great.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:10 AM
Brad330l

I am sick and miserable.[&o]
Anyone got some news or pictures of their Spitty to make me feel better?
Couldnt even get to the shed if I wanted to.

Brad
Old 07-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Spychalla Aircraft

ORIGINAL: Brad330l

I am sick and miserable.[&o]
Anyone got some news or pictures of their Spitty to make me feel better?
Couldnt even get to the shed if I wanted to.

Brad
Here I can try to cheer you up a bit with Spitty stuff. Yet after I tell you what I paid for this Spit you may actually get more depressed because I think your still waiting on you kit if I am not mistaken. I've been in a buying frenzy. Truly addictive type behavior. I'm stockpiling kits for future projects with about 10 in the backlog right now. This is #6 of 10. I picked up this full Yellow Aircraft kit for $175 USD. Couldn't pass it up. Over time it will be transformed into TZ138 that is station in Canada. You can see the picture below. I love the red spinner. It may be a completion that is about 6 years out, but it sure is fun to plan for.

And yes... that is a 1/4 scale YAK-3 fuse plug you see peeking out from behind that Spitty. Once I get done with some B/C Model Mustang parts I am messing with I have to blow the dust off that baby, build a mold, and crank out some parts. That is #2 in the backlog and our buddy Peter_Oz is waiting on me for one. I want one too. Who ever said this is "Just a Hobby". Leo

Name:	Sq48141.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	993417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96157.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	993418  
Old 07-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Spychalla Aircraft

Now for something useful. Do you want your gear to stay in your YA Spitfire wing when you have a less than perfect landing? Well then you have to change the mounts. This is best done when you build the airplane and not after the fact as I am doing here! The YA gear blocks are just in the foam only. Bad design. You have to extend the inner plywood gear block out to pick up and bond to the ply wing joiners. This is the only way to get significant strength. It requires some pretty serious surgery that you will see in the pictures depicted. It starts with ripping out the old blocks. Routing a slot for the new ply. Making new ply mounts. Bonding them in and replacing the foam and balsa you destroyed in the process. I used that Urethane glue to put things back in place. Either Gorilla Glue or ProBond work fine. I will try to scan or draw my inner wing template and get it posted out here with a link. Leo

Name:	Yw67065.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	993427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21795.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	993428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24707.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	993429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga78344.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	993430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw18679.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	993431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx30828.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	993432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oq23636.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	993433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sr58534.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	993434  

Old 07-19-2008, 09:12 AM
BobH

A picture of my Spit. Moki 1.8 for power.

I agree with Leo completely. The retract rails should be modified. I modified mine as well and they held up fine. You would think that YA (by now) would get it that the gear rails are much to fragile for this plane and change the mounts.

Name:	Ca80221.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	993464  
Old 07-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Brad330l

Leo, I've said it before and I'll say it again, "you are an extreme modeller!!!"
Yes I am still waiting on my Spitty and cant believe you have ten!! AND the price, oh man I feel woozy
You simply must post the information and templates of your UC mod right here or sell it as a kit or something to us less than perfect landing pilots.
Mate if you have a 1/5 scale P47, bang out a mould and send Peter a fuz so he can finish his build before you send him a Yak!!
I dont suppose I can talk though all I have achieved over the last couple of years is a bunch of electrics, a glider and some ARFs.

Thanks to you too BobH, I do feel a bit better seeing some one wheeling their Spitfire out for a flight.

Cheers Guys,
Brad (just strong enough to type)
Old 07-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Brad330l

A couple of questiions for today.

What size air tank do you guys run for these size retracts in the Spitty?
http://www.robart.com/air_systems/airtanks.aspx
And where did you place it?

What size fuel tank? Shape? This will be to suit a 55cc gasser.

Cheers,
Brad
Old 07-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Spychalla Aircraft

Brad,

32 oz. on the CG gives about 20 to 25 min. run time on a 50 cc gasser depending on throttle settings. I like to fly a long time when I am up. Put it on the CG so that you don't have trim changes when you fly. We do the radio install on the Spitty with a removable tray. You can assemble and mount everything outside the plane and then just slide it into the fuse and bolt it in. With the tray out you can get you hand into the front of the fuse for access to engine mounting bolts, throttle servo, choke servo, batteries etc. My tank is banded to the top of this removable tray. A key that makes this whole thing possible is a pushrod end mounting technique I created which I nicknamed the guillotine. You capture the pushrod outer end in a wooden clamp structure that can be easily removed. A wooden washer is bonded to the end side of the outer sleeve. You only have to hold the pushrod on one side because an outer sleeve only works in tension. Never in compression. The guillotine doesn't even need to clamp it tight. A loose fit is fine.

Wow! I am glad I took these photos this morning! Check out the missing antenna on the secondary 2.4 gHz reciever. I didn't notice it until I was editing these pictures. I have lost them before on other recievers so I put shrink tubing on them to help reduce stress points. It is gone! This will need replacement. Leo

Name:	Ki18083.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	994005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35612.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	994006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36792.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	994007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11267.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	994008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm74464.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	994009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw26978.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	994010  
Old 07-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Brad330l

Great information Leo.[sm=thumbs_up.gif] This is gold.
I see your air tank in the pictures, is this the only one on board? If so how many cycles of the gear do you get?
It is the medium size tank right?

Cheers again,

Brad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.