Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Spectrum 2.4 radio

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Spectrum 2.4 radio

Old 06-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Alex 51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectrum 2.4 radio

Has anyone had any issues with the radios.. I had a problem when I was flying my FW190.
I was starting a loop when all of a sudden it snap rolled on me. I was high enough so there was time to recover. After that I brought it in and landed with no problem. Checked the voltage on the airplane it was 5.09 that was good. I checked the range check, checked good. Batteries on the radio 10.8 good. Two days later I took my mosquito to the field. All checks ok,batteries good. Engine great, took off great and about 75 yards or so it started going all over the place. I had no control. It nosed in at about 150 yards. Checked the voiltage on the batteries 5.32 good. I called Horrizon to see if they had any issues or problem like this. Like they will tell you. I did get this out of them, that the receivers have a update for them at no charge. He told me that if the receiver looses voltage the power will be restored right away with the new update. The old receivers he said it took 5 sec. He called it a brown out. I am going to send my radio in today and some of the receivers to be updated.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spectrum 2.4 radio

The snap roll during a loop could mean one of the following:

1- Too much elevator movement
2- Your lateral balance out
3- Or the cg is too far back

I use the Spectrum 2.4 radio as well. IMHO If you have an issue with the radio I think you are more likely to see a complete lockout.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:55 PM
wingman371

You can find athread in the radio section of this here forum and it will help you out. I fly nothing but 6 volt batts and never have had a problem. Under load it has been reported that once the batts fall below a certain number it will lockout. Lookup the tread and it should give you a bunch of insight.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:14 PM
rcmiket

My 2 cents. I've been using the DX7 for over a year in 4 helicopters (from a CX2 to a E Smart 600 size) , a Electric P-38, Electric H/L F-18, GP Extra 300 W/ Moki 2.10, GP Christan Eagle W Moki 1.80. It has preformed flawlessly no problems what so ever. NONE... 0... NADA. As far as the "brown out" if your fltying a large plane with big didital servos with a 850 4 cell pack your going to have trouble (same as you would with the old 72 stuff). If set up properly with the proper size flight pack you will not have any trouble, except the 2.4 seems to have a "right now" feel, another words your inputs on the transmitter seem quicker on whatever your fling. Sounds weird but it takes some getting used too. Mike
Old 06-26-2008, 05:21 PM
KentuckyColonel

I have been flying with both the DX6 and then the DX7 when it came out and have never had an issue. That said, I did witness a friend loose a couple planes, mot likely due to voltage issues. I too, fly with 6 volt Rx battery. Like I said, no problem here. Only planes I have crashed are because of me......not the radio, as much as I'd like to blame it[:@].
Old 06-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Meschmidt
My Feedback: (15)

I have a DX6I and first flew it with 4.8 volt receiver pack. I did have a couple of glitch issues with the latter almost costing me a plane. Went with a 1100 ma 6 volt receiver battery as told by reputable modeler and it has been working fine since! 2.4 gh does not like 4.8 volts apparently.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:35 PM
smthlndr

So if i get a DX6i with a 1100ma 6volt rec. batt. All should be fine?
Old 06-27-2008, 06:05 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I would suggest the DX7 and a 6 volt battery.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:03 AM
G-Pete

What exact receivers?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Tommy_Gun

Another consideration to add to the proper power suggestion.

Make sure you are using a high quality switch harness.

I have had issues with both inadequate power supply as well as a switch or two that caused loss of control.

The DX7 and the X9303 2.4 I use have never given me any problems in 18 months of use.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Alex 51

Thanks for the info. I run HD switch on all my planes but I will upgrade to 6 Volts. I have been flying with the DX7 all last year no problems same planes. I sent it in just to check it out
anyway.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:05 PM
G-Pete

...looks like you don't want to answer my question. Anywho - there was a recall on some receivers because of a solder point loosened up....................................
Old 06-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been flying the DX7 for 2 years and the 9303 for a little less than 1 year. On about 8 airplanes total. On most planes I run dual 6 volt packs with a 3 watt diode on each which isolates a bad pack from a potential drain of a failing pack. No problems with voltage drop or brown out. I am running one plane on a single 6.6 volt A123 pack going through a diode again just to drop the voltage down about 1/2 volt. That is really great set-up which will be what I eventually equip all my bigger planes with.

I've sent 4 of the AR9000 receivers in for the quick link upgrade and it is a noticable improvement in re-connect time. It goes from about 4 seconds to less than a second. They are also bonding down a capacitor on the board that is prone to some vibration issues. I have sent in 2 AR7000 receivers as well thinking they needed the quick link upgrade as well, but the horizon service center says it is not applicable to the AR7000.

I have recently lost an antenna off an AR9000 due to vibration. It cracked off right at the housing. It is in for service, but now I am putting short shrink tubes on all my antenna exits and on blobs of silicone on the antennas of the AR6100 and AR7000 receivers that don't have convenient spots for shrink tubing.

One lesson learned in the past 2 years is that the RX cannot be effected by ignition engine noise, but the servos still can. I had a servo wire that ran within an inch from an ignition battery and it would randomly cycle my gear at full throttle but not at idle. I always had full control of the airplane while the gear is going randomly up and down. I moved the ignition battery away from this servo and it stopped happening. So you still have to be careful on how you position things in the airplane.

See shrink tubes added on RX below. Leo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70843.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	979875  
Old 06-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

I've had the same thing happen to me with my P-47 with the gear cycling up and down. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the problem was as I changed out just about everything in the gear system. Unfortunately mine cycled up on me just as I touched down causing some serious damage to the wing. Culprit? Electronic Ignition noise from the Falkon ign. It didn't affect anything of the other channels. Just the Ch. 5 (gear) Other than that issue, my DX7 has been flawless.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Alex 51

Thanks for the great info. All info is good anything to help all flyers.