Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TopFlite P-40 Powerplant Selection?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TopFlite P-40 Powerplant Selection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 02:33 AM
mkuzmukerau
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TopFlite P-40 Powerplant Selection?

I've got a Top Flite P-40E on the building table now and am looking for a powerplant, how big do I need? I def want to stay 4 stroke. It's gonna be fiberglassed, and have drop tanks, cockpit kit, guns, all the scale accesories, so might be a little on the heavy side. Any suggestions as to what to put in it? I have a Saito FS100 in a P-51 ARF sitting here that I could yank out, but not sure if it would be enough..... Comments?

Mike
Old 05-13-2003, 11:10 PM
Kirk RC
My Feedback: (4)

Mike, I have built two and learned the hard way that this bird needs power, 100 saito is to small. I used OS120 on my last one and if I did it over again would go to a enya 120R that is bored out to give 150 power at the same size. Even a Saito150 would work as the cowl is hugh and you most likely will need the nose weight. Good luck,
KirkRC
Old 05-14-2003, 11:24 AM
manofsteel
My Feedback: (2)

I have an OS120fs and it powers it great, tho never had it off the ground due to the retracts might be too straight up and down.
Watch out for that. I used robarts. Any suggestions to that from all of you out there?
Old 05-14-2003, 11:26 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I have seen several of these, and the Saito 1.20 seemed to be a perfect match. (Of course, the 1.50 and 1.80 are the same size, so with some throttle management...)
Old 11-13-2003, 10:40 PM
cap10b

Default RE: TopFlite P-40 Powerplant Selection?

Mike,
I too have built and flown a TF P-40 and for me weight is the kiss of death. I have a Saito 100 and this is a good engine but could be a little heavy. I normally do not recommend nor do I own two stroke glow motors of any size. I have either four stokes or gas. But this may be the one time I recommend a two stroke. In my opinion this is the one and only place for a small case .90 engine. Super Tiger .90 or the OS FX .90 sounds good, but something in the .60 size case with .90 size power. If you go up in size you increase the weight and balance problem. My TF P-40 with a ST-90 came off the boards at 8.5 lbs painted in the STUD colors of matt black and red.
No retracts but full house with flaps and dual batteries. I did not have to move anything around and as for performace the plane would lift off with 10% flaps in 20 feet at 1/3 throttle. (don't recommend a habit of that but it can be done) Landings were routine with flaps and uneventful. Everyone is right about You can never have too much power on a war bird. But you can have to much weight and you can get too nose heavy. All these posts about fear of slowing down are due to weight and balance problems no one complains about tracking or porpoising, the model flys good at speed. All the power plants mentioned are good but think about landings and handling.

Reminds me of that saying............Dynamite comes in small packages.

JDS
Old 11-13-2003, 11:35 PM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: TopFlite P-40 Powerplant Selection?

I have one with 615 retracts(mine work fine) no flaps/drop tank/cockpit kit. Monokoted for finish. Weight is a little over 8lbs. Magnum 91FS spining a 14X6 mas wood prop. Seems to fly fine to me. It will snap to the right if it gets to slow but at that speed my TF 182 wont stay in the air eather and it weighs 9lbs.