Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

T-28 Trojan from Iron Bay Model

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

T-28 Trojan from Iron Bay Model

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:55 PM
DANIBOY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-28 Trojan from Iron Bay Model

Hi everyone! I am writing here to get your opinions on a big project I am planning . I want to build a kit. The T-28 from Iron Bay Model. See the link below

http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/i...s/Warbirds.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31...tm.htm#3126553

I am in rc airplanes since 4 years. I have owned 3 planes, all where arf. For the last year i was searching for the perfect model. This plane is what I am looking for. The thing is that this model is not available as an arf.

I have never built a kit and this one require knowledge in balsa, fiberglass and painting. I am thinking to go all the way on kit building. I am ready to invest the time it need to be complete. I want to educate myself on thoses building technique.

So, the question, for all the experienced builder out there, is it too big (hard) of a project for a first timer?

By the way I am a mechanical designer and also have kind of good hand skills.

Thanks a lot, and I wish me and the rcuniverse community will go far along my future project.

Daniel
Old 07-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: T-28 Trojan from Iron Bay Model

By all means grab the kit and do think about how to build it but start getting into some of the less demanding kits to build up your knowldge of building and flying.

I would suggest you do a couple of top flite kits, they will teach you good skills and allow you also to get used to flying a warbird before trying to fly the big T-28.

While you are building your TF kits get a low wing tail dragger type of plane so you can get some expereince of the style of model you will be transitioning to. Something like a big dragon lady would be perfect or even a H-9 PT-19 if you can get one, they come as an ARF and can be powered by a 120 FS engine. I would highly recommend the Pt-19 before trying the T-28.

cheers
Peter
Old 07-10-2008, 09:27 PM
DANIBOY

Thanks Peter for your input, I will consider what you are suggesting me.

I would like to simply clarify a point. My concern is more about building the plane than flying it.

Is there some lesser expensive kit than the T-28 that i could build in a similar way (balsa, foam wing, fiberglass) prior to building my dream Trojan ?

Dan
Old 07-10-2008, 09:29 PM
donniercjet
My Feedback: (10)

the byron/iron bay t-28 is huge!! i would not suggest this bird as your first kit project. i agree with peter oz as to get the kit if you can when it is available. start out with a top flite corsair or p-40 as a first build. as for learning to glass, if you have flyin buddys that have glassed before, convince them that you need some pointers. the t-28 is not a hard build cause its 70% built cause of the glass fuse and foam flying surfaces. its the finishing that will get ya. a cheap start would be pick a foamie. learn to glass a foamie anything and still be able to fly it, then you have learned how to keep it light and still very strong... good luck....
Old 07-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

me thinks learning to crawl before trying skydiving is in order here.

slowly, slowly catchee monkey
Old 07-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Daniel,

Don't go for the Byron T-28 right off. That is one of the more complicated Byron/Iron Bay Warbirds to build. I would be afraid that you will get discouraged part way through. They never intended it to be that way, but with the plug in wings, tricycle gear the speed brake on the belly, all the air line routing... everything gets technically complex. I would strongly recommend something simpler to get your feet wet. The Yellow Aircraft Spitfire and/or Yellow Aircraft T-6 are about 50% of the work of that T-28. The Topflite Corsair and/or Mustang are great choices as recommended, yet you wouldn't get the experience with the glass fuses on those. You should check the Marketplace for that Byron Corsair that is selling right now. It would get you some experience first before you tackle that T-28. Leo
Old 07-11-2008, 12:01 PM
DANIBOY

Thank you all, i will follow your advices. I will get a simpler kit before the Byron/iron bay T-28.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

if you have the cash buy the kit and all the bits for it because you never know how long these things will be available for then once you are competent make a start, not before. Put it on the shelf and drool over it for a couple of years till your skills are up to it.

cheers
Old 07-11-2008, 04:37 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

You prolly could fly it, but building it night prove to be a night mare! Build a couple of kits first. Than move on.
I couldn't get them to answer the phone.

Cox has a T-28 Trojan arf and so does Hobby people. Might look into that. http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/159545.asp

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41876.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	988570  
Old 07-11-2008, 09:36 PM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Peter Oz is right on. In fact, Byron has discontinued making the landing gear for this aircraft. I finished mine last year and I love her. In my opinion, it is the best engineered of all of Byron's warbirds, However, this is a VERY advanced build. If you like, do a search on this forum for my build thread on the Byron T-28 Trojan. Lots of pics and gives some insight into what goes into building it. Here are a couple of shots of my finished Trojan:

Name:	Nl28599.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	988843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55414.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	988844  
Old 07-12-2008, 03:47 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

mmm that is a lovely bird, well done mate. Wish to hell I had secured that one off Dino last year [:@]

Think Sierra would be able to whip up a set of gear for it no trouble.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:40 AM
drdoom

Robart also has the Gear. It is 644.80. http://www.robart.com/retracts/Custom.aspx , scroll down youll find it.

Can you still get this from Iron Bay. I have a Corsair New in Box that I got from Iron bay years ago.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:17 PM
kingair70
My Feedback: (156)

Looks like Robart has discontinued manufacturing the gear for the Byron/Iron Bay T-28 and several other kits. http://www.robart.com/discontinued.html
Old 07-12-2008, 04:12 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Awesome Mark,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, one day that puppy will be in my garage

Dave
ORIGINAL: MarkShapiro

Peter Oz is right on. In fact, Byron has discontinued making the landing gear for this aircraft. I finished mine last year and I love her. In my opinion, it is the best engineered of all of Byron's warbirds, However, this is a VERY advanced build. If you like, do a search on this forum for my build thread on the Byron T-28 Trojan. Lots of pics and gives some insight into what goes into building it. Here are a couple of shots of my finished Trojan:
Old 07-13-2008, 01:55 PM
DANIBOY

ORIGINAL: Spychalla Aircraft

Daniel,

Don't go for the Byron T-28 right off. That is one of the more complicated Byron/Iron Bay Warbirds to build. I would be afraid that you will get discouraged part way through. They never intended it to be that way, but with the plug in wings, tricycle gear the speed brake on the belly, all the air line routing... everything gets technically complex. I would strongly recommend something simpler to get your feet wet. The Yellow Aircraft Spitfire and/or Yellow Aircraft T-6 are about 50% of the work of that T-28. The Topflite Corsair and/or Mustang are great choices as recommended, yet you wouldn't get the experience with the glass fuses on those. You should check the Marketplace for that Byron Corsair that is selling right now. It would get you some experience first before you tackle that T-28. Leo
Leo, thanks for pointing me to Yellow Aircraft. I realy like what I see on their web site. Their kits are similar to the Byron T-28 (fiberglass fuse and plug-in wing) but as you said, with lot less work to do for completion.
Do you have experience with them, how is their customer service, etc... ?

I think this is a great alternative to the Iron Bay model.
Damn, Iron Bay are hard to get in contact with... two e-mails unansewred and one phone call with no response.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:28 PM
grh_70

Damn, Iron Bay are hard to get in contact with... two e-mails unansewred and one phone call with no response.

Yeah, that and a totally useless website!
Old 07-13-2008, 07:34 PM
bodyshopjustin
My Feedback: (2)

They will respond I have been in contact them lately for F16 parts they are very promt with shipping too... At least in my experience they were
Old 07-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Scott Prossen

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

DANIBOY,

Don't give up on Iron Bay. I too have had reasonable luck with them. Just send a detailed e-mail and usually they will answer you within a week or so.......sometimes in a day or two. I've always gotten to them sooner or later. Then they usually help me pretty well and ship what I need pretty quick, if they have it of course.

Good luck to you with your choice. These guys are giving you excellent advice and you're so smart to get it from them.

Best wishes,

Scott
Old 07-14-2008, 02:01 PM
gary9648

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the Iron-bay T-28. First, the fuse is in glass but is only about 50% done, the wings are foam core and require much work before finished. Expect about 200-500 hours to complete depending on how much detail you will put into it. There is plenty of help here on the forum. This bird is no where nere 70% done for you. I have around 600 hours in mine due to the detail and brakes etc. I could spend another 40 or so hours tricking out the cockpit if I so desire later on. It is a very forgiving war bird to fly and with the tri-cycle gear very easy to get on and off the ground. I recomend the T-28 for many guys looking for a first war bird. Cox brought back the Pica T-28 which is an 78" version in an ARF. Try and find one of these and fly it first. They fly great also. I have had personal experience with them both in Pica kit form and the new ARF. Both are excellent fliers.
Good Day,
Gary Webb

Name:	Pn37020.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	990466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17469.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	990467  
Old 07-14-2008, 10:17 PM
DANIBOY

Wow Gary, beautifull Trojan you've built.
I have always liked more tri-cycle airplane over taildragers.
Now, for me things are getting straigh, I think im gonna start soon building a TopFlite giant P47D for building experience purpose. During that time ill try getting in contact with Iron Bay to get a T-28 kit and look with them if they have a source to purchase retracts since Robarts as discontinued them (my plan was to order from Robart).
If it is too fastidious to obtain a T-28 kit ill go to Yellow Aircraft and buy a AT-6 kit to perfect my building skills.

Dan

Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Scott Prossen

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Daniboy,

I sent an e-mail to Iron Bay two days ago and got a response today. They had what I needed and are sending it out now. That's pretty good and they have always responded to me sooner or later.

I know of a complete Iron Bay T-28 kit w/retracts if you strike out with them. Send me a PM with your contact number and i'll call you if you want to speak about it. I also have a completed one if you want to talk about that??? Prices are pretty high so make sure you're sitting down if we speak.

Scott
Old 07-17-2008, 12:56 PM
gary9648

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also Sierra Retracts are available for this model.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:55 AM
drdoom

I tried to fax that number to no avail.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:18 PM
strtnlevel
My Feedback: (84)

Is this the kit Dino had? Just curious, I traded him mine for his Skyraider a few years back. Would love to see more pics.
Thanks,
Vince
Old 07-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

curious, I nearly bought Dino's T28 kitlast last year but while I was trying to get shipping sorted it was sold to some guy in California, not Dinos fault as I told him to sell if a local buyer came along.

Would not mind getting a 2nd crack at it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.