Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP P-51B "BALD EAGLE"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP P-51B "BALD EAGLE"

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:38 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KMP P-51B "BALD EAGLE"

CHECK THIS OUT....

http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?p...84bee2cf625417

I was just informed about this .... I was asked... "HOW MANY DO YOU WANT for VQ WARBIRDS?"

WELL... How many do we need???

LMK..

CHEERS

-tomas
www.vqwarbirds.com
[email protected]

www.bomberfieldusa.com
www.texasarmor.com

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82833.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	991279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12542.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	991280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41501.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	991281  
Old 07-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Merlin Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: KMP P-51B "BALD EAGLE"

Hi,

I have been waiting for this!

It looks very good from the 3 or 4 photos so far. Wheel struts are good, t'wheel in the right place ( but usual "light" version ) no inner doors but that could be attended to if required. Overall , it seems to have nice scale outlines and shapes and not a bad colour scheme ( that's very subjective, I know ! )

Looking forward to more detail as the model is released.

Good work ESM,YT ,KLM.

Cheers,
Merlin Man.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:34 PM
KentuckyColonel

Tomas,

That one is looking really nice!
Old 07-15-2008, 07:54 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Tomas

that thing looks really nice and im sure it will be a fine flying airplane. My only complaint is the tail wheel is severely lackluster. I am not asking for a full retractable tail wheel but for the amount for money the KMP birds go for I would hope for a better looking unit back there. Just my 0.02. I love my KMP Stuka but the tail wheel is almost shameful [:'(]
Old 07-15-2008, 10:55 PM
grinder-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Hmmm... thought the P-51 Bald Eagle was a "D" model. Pic taken at CYXU.

Grinder.

Name:	Us55169.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	991592  
Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 PM
grinder-RCU

Close up.

Name:	Xv64057.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	991593  
Old 07-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Oosiksmith

P-51B Bald Eagle flown by Robert Eckfeldt 374th FS/361st FG

Name:	Ca81910.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	991596  
Old 07-15-2008, 11:30 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

So many great variations might be best to order the primered version. I'm not sure but that "aluminum" looks like grey paint. Need to develop the malcolm hood for these babies!

Name:	Jh16746.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	991599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54443.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	991600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46202.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	991601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58512.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	991602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65862.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	991603  
Old 07-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: SunShyne

Tomas

that thing looks really nice and im sure it will be a fine flying airplane. My only complaint is the tail wheel is severely lackluster. I am not asking for a full retractable tail wheel but for the amount for money the KMP birds go for I would hope for a better looking unit back there. Just my 0.02. I love my KMP Stuka but the tail wheel is almost shameful [:'(]
SunShyne, no it's not almost shameful, some of us are replacing the tail wheel with a more scale looking one from [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRWW9&P=7]Dubro[/link] .
The P-51 is a pretty plane, another 70"+ / 26cc warbird. I am not sure I see $489.00 there though.
I noticed on KMP's website they are now selling 65cc gas engines. I know they are going to be coming out with a class of larger warbirds next year, wonder if there is any correlation because they don't have anything that will handle an engine that big that I know of.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:54 PM
nemesis4u

Whistling Death....et al....

Glad you like what you see so far! I as a KMP stocking dealer and Warbird Pilot love how far these ARF's have come... always getting better....

This 70" 26cc size is convenient without getting to large...

Yes... There are several 40-60cc size 80" IMAA LEGAL AIRCRAFT/WARBIRDS coming in the future...
It is an exciting time for us all in WARBIRD-VILLE !!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW... how many do I need to reserve?

THEY will be the same 70" class size as the Spitfire, TYPHOON, ME-109, FW-190, BEARCAT that are all out right now...
a KMP 70" P-51D IS ALSO COMING VERY SOON....

THESE are great sized Warbirds...not too large...not too small...

CHEERS,

TOMAS
VQ, ASM, KMP, RCV/MAGNUM ENGINE, AIRTRONICS 2.4GHz Dealer
www.vqwarbirds.com
[email protected]
Old 07-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Whistling Death

Hey Tomas, I have nothing but good things to say you guys at VQ Warbirds. I bought my Stuka from you and when KMP comes out with their bigger birds, if I buy one, I will buy it from you as well.
I say "if" because Kondor won't let the cat out of the bag to which big birds he will be releasing. I wish he would tell us if he is coming out with a big Corsair. I have made a feeble attempt to lead a crusade for someone to make an 80" one.
I have a TF giant scale kit sitting on the shelf, if I thought he was coming out with a corsair I wouldn't build it (the TF KIt), I would just wait.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:24 AM
mobyal

Tomas
I bought my KMP FW190 from you and this one looks really good too...
But I'm going to pass on future KMP until products until they do something to provide acceptable manuals w/ them. The manual w/ thw 190 is a joke,; I've heard the same about their others and a visit to the website confirms it. Too bad because the product is firstrate, but it's different enough to cause a lot of people real problems in assembly w/o an adequate manual.
Al
Old 07-16-2008, 08:52 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: nemesis4u

THEY will be the same 70" class size as the Spitfire, TYPHOON, ME-109, FW-190, BEARCAT that are all out right now...
a KMP 70" P-51D IS ALSO COMING VERY SOON....

THESE are great sized Warbirds...not too large...not too small...

CHEERS,

TOMAS
VQ, ASM, KMP, RCV/MAGNUM ENGINE, AIRTRONICS 2.4GHz Dealer
www.vqwarbirds.com
[email protected]

Personally, I would prefer something large enough for a gas engine. This is the main reason I have not purchased one of their arfies yet.

I may have to finally pull the trigger and try a KMP bird with this P-51B/C model (who would ever guess that!). I wonder if they will offer a detailed glass wing with this one like the other birds now have?

Of course, if I get one, it will have to be the primered version to put a good scheme on (not that they made a poor choice with the bald eagle selection).
Old 07-16-2008, 09:43 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Moby , just curiuos but outside of CG what can a manual provide at this level of an ARF ??
Please again , nothing personal , really sincerly asking because at this level of an ARF , most guys dont even follow the build process because they have there own process ( at leaste I do )
I look for two thing -a dead on proven range of CG and when statedincidence (but this is rarely provided in any ARF )
Ideally settings are always nice but again are not usually provided . Also engine incidence is also nice but rarely provided .
Thanks for your reply

\
Old 07-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Finally a P-51 ARF that has the rudder and elevator counterweights. Even though the elevator's C.W. are not in the right place, its better than none at all.

And is it just me or does the horizontal stab start too soon?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Paul Morrison

I say "if" because Kondor won't let the cat out of the bag to which big birds he will be releasing. I wish he would tell us if he is coming out with a big Corsair. I have made a feeble attempt to lead a crusade for someone to make an 80" one.
To be fair, we can't really make it widely known what is coming down the pipeline because a) our plans might change and b) that gives our competition enough time to copy us.

But I will say this: your campaign is not in vain. We do listen, and we are planning some larger birds. If it is possible, I would think that the Corsair would be a very strong contender for that line of larger warbirds. I cannot confirm it will be, because as far as I know those decisions haven't been made yet, but if my .02 is worth anything, its the one I'll be lobbying for.

In general we don't announce new products until prototypes have been made, tested, and we recieve pictures of the first production model. The P-51B is actually in production right now. If you had called and asked: 'what's coming soon', I would have said: 'we're working on a P-51B and P-51D', but nothing is officially announced until it reaches that stage.

But we pay attention to the market, and we know the market has a niche for larger warbird ARF's, especially high quality ones, and it is our intent to fill that niche.

I may have to finally pull the trigger and try a KMP bird with this P-51B/C model (who would ever guess that!). I wonder if they will offer a detailed glass wing with this one like the other birds now have?
It is my understanding that a composite wing will NOT be available for the P-51B.

But I'm going to pass on future KMP until products until they do something to provide acceptable manuals w/ them. The manual w/ thw 190 is a joke,; I've heard the same about their others and a visit to the website confirms it. Too bad because the product is firstrate, but it's different enough to cause a lot of people real problems in assembly w/o an adequate manual.
We're working to try and get the manuals better with every new model. Its not an easy thing to do, but we are working on it. However, it is important to note that if you have any trouble during your build you are welcome to call us toll free at: 1-888-968-7251 and we'll talk you through it, or if we're not sure we'll personally contact the factory until we are. If we can get updated instructions, we post them to the website. We do everything we can to help, and you can always feel free to avail yourself of our assistance.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Paul Morrison

Also... watch for another product announcement later today.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:19 PM
P-51B

O.K. ...its "later"...whats the announcement?!?!??!
Old 07-16-2008, 01:41 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Yea Paul I just looked to whats up? I need to know!!! LOL
Old 07-16-2008, 01:43 PM
nemesis4u

how bout' a "D"

-tomas
Old 07-16-2008, 02:18 PM
mobyal

I just talked w/ Paul re a couple of 190 questions. Asked him about what's "new"; he said to check the website about 4pm east coast time.
Al
Old 07-16-2008, 03:00 PM
P-51B

Ho hum, its yet another D model. []

The P-51D christened "Glamorous Glen III" was flown by Captain Chuck Yeager of the 357th fighter group:

http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?p...84bee2cf625417

I was hoping for a "bigger than 80 inch" announcement.

Name:	Ki18878.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	991903  
Old 07-16-2008, 05:40 PM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: LDM

Moby , just curiuos but outside of CG what can a manual provide at this level of an ARF ??
Please again , nothing personal , really sincerly asking because at this level of an ARF , most guys dont even follow the build process because they have there own process ( at leaste I do )
I look for two thing -a dead on proven range of CG and when statedincidence (but this is rarely provided in any ARF )
Ideally settings are always nice but again are not usually provided . Also engine incidence is also nice but rarely provided .
Thanks for your reply

\
LDM
Thanks for your note, and I'll agree that a lot of people don't really follow or need detailed manuals at this stage.
BUT if you'll look at some of the KMP websites on here, you'll find that the instruction manuals are a recurring source of dissatisfaction. For example, see the response/info from Paul a post or two above. And on 7/14, Scalenutz said, on the KMP DC3 site, that "KMP build fantastic models [I sure agree with that] I just hate those Chinglish instructions...Andrew or Paul, can't you guys spend a little time rewriting them?" And on 7/15 Andrew replied "Instructions are our nemesis! We are trying to work something out with somebody who does fantastic manual writing in the US."
I have the earliest version of the FW 190 manual; the one on the website has been updated. Now, this is a fairly sophisticated model, for me at least, w/ flaps and retracts. Plus it's new to me in the sense that the fuse is composite. I have built lots of kits, starting w/ Comet rubber-powered tissur covered stuff back in the 50s, and continuing up to today. Tiger Moths Pilot 1/4 scale, Aeromasters, PICA Jungmeister, that sort of thing, and a number of ARFS. So I'm not a neophyte, and have a pretty good sense of how to do things. Some of the things I expect, though, in a relatively high-quality, high dollar ARF are a model w/ most of the engineering done and a good set of manuals/instructions. That's what I'm paying for.
So. What would I like to see? Let's start w/ format. How about actual photos of actual construction/assembly steps of the model actually being done. Not line drawings of pieces and subassemblies that don't even match the model. Second, written instructions. Scalenutz referred to the "Chinglish" instructions w/ the DC3. Just to pull one example from the FW 190 manual we'll just ignore the continued admonitions to, for example, "Epoxy pin hinges to aileron steadily" and "Securely glue together. If coming off during flights, you'll lose control of your airplane which leads to accidents!" the manual says "Before install the control horn, please notice the hint below. According to the standard position draw lines. Cut the part which drawed line away. Epoxy ply to the relevant position and install the control horn." Say what? And that's from the updated manual. Which, by the way, has measurements etc for location of flap and aileron horns, something lacking in the original.
Anyway, I've gone on enough. So I won't talk about the use of "typered" screws to secure the retracts; the illustration list one size of "typered" screw, which isn't listed in the materials or in the written instructions, though two other szes of "tapered" screws are listed.
I won't rant anymore, but if you want to see what a professional builder-friendly maniual for an ARF looks like, check out H9 or Great Planes. That's the sort of thing I'd like to see from KMP.
Anyway, the guys at KMP say they're working on it, and I do like their products.
If they get the manuals straight, put me down for this P-51B, or maybe Col Dave Schilling's P-47.
Best to you.
Al
Old 07-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Another P-51? Good gawd, its not as if we don't have enough between Hangar 9, CMP, Evergreen, SIG and Top Flite.

For that price I'll just get the Top Flite 1/5th scale ARC.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Evil_Merlin

Another P-51? Good gawd, its not as if we don't have enough between Hangar 9, CMP, Evergreen, SIG and Top Flite.

For that price I'll just get the Top Flite 1/5th scale ARC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.