Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Electric Byron F-16 Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Electric Byron F-16 Build

Old 09-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Electric Byron F-16 Build

Dave, get onto to Peter Love as he is doing graphics and stencils now. He will be at bundy and his email will be on the scaf distribtion list that Chris emails out.
cheers
Peter
Old 09-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

Dave, Check out [link=http://www.voodoo.cz/falcon/]HERE[/link] for more paint schems, right side under gallerys.
I use automotive acrylic. Have used this paint for years as it is fuel proof and has a very thick pigment which can be thined right out so very little paint is required on the model to cover, Have never used latex and to tell the truth, where I live I doubt that the paint shops have even heard of it. Athe the retired old farts are moving into the area and trying to stop any improvements that people are trying to get started in the district. They want to keep the district in the 50's, but thats just MY rant.

Cheers

get onto to barry at warbird colours australia, he is importing those latex paints which are supposed to be very good. there is a link to his website on my website below.

cheers
Peter
Old 09-16-2008, 03:04 AM
The Ghost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter, Do you know any one in this country that does water slide transfers ?

Cheers
Old 09-16-2008, 03:13 AM
The Ghost

Started on the paint after talking to my nephew who said that he would do all the trim paint (graphic artist), (he needed something machined) so I will be combining a couple of paint schems.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74896.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1034383  
Old 09-16-2008, 04:01 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

mmm not that I can think of to be honest
Old 09-16-2008, 04:25 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Peter, Do you know any one in this country that does water slide transfers ?

Cheers
I've been looking into it as a do at home option with an inkjet printer. i'll post what i find soon.

thanks

dave
Old 09-16-2008, 05:09 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

my seafury retract is on its way back already, pete got it this arov, fixed and sent back same day!!!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:25 PM
The Ghost

Dave, most inkjet printers work on water sol inks, so water slide transfers would just wash the ink off. Would be interested if it was viable.

Cheers
Old 09-16-2008, 01:35 PM
bodyshopjustin

It is easy did them on my byron F-16 after you print them put about 3-4 coats of clear coat over to seal the ink from the water see attatched picture whit however is a hard color to make work
Old 09-16-2008, 05:02 PM
ticketec

Hey Bodyshopjustin,

That looks great mate. were did you get your waterslide decal material from? and your winders look awesome. did you make those yourself?

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-16-2008, 06:52 PM
The Ghost

Dave, found the paper, located [link=http://www.thecopiercompany.com.au/product.asp?ID=3005]HERE[/link], its an Aussie company, looks like it is adv in 10 or 25 A4 page packs. The only place that sells it that I have found so far. Will keep looking for a supplier closer.

Cheers
Old 09-16-2008, 07:57 PM
cimara

this works great for decals as long as they are not huge comes with every thing you need to make them dont know if testors is sold down there http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=2255
Old 09-16-2008, 08:36 PM
CastorTroy2150
My Feedback: (10)

Just wanted to say, beautiful planes you are building, I want so badly to have a jet. I have no idea where to start, I have lots of flying experience, but am unsure of a good first jet and such. Just started getting into electrics. Cant wait to follow this thread till the end cant wait to see you hot paintjob. Keep the pics coming please, I could look at them all day wishing I could have one...[]
Old 09-17-2008, 02:24 AM
ticketec

Dave, found the paper, located [link=http://www.thecopiercompany.com.au/product.asp?ID=3005]HERE[/link], its an Aussie company, looks like it is adv in 10 or 25 A4 page packs. The only place that sells it that I have found so far. Will keep looking for a supplier closer.

Cheers
Hey Ghost, i have found this mob down your way that sells it as well. I would order some but the bank cancelled my credit card because they said my cards details had been compromised... i've been stung with credit card fraud before so i'm not all that annoyed. umm, might have to wait till the wife gets home and use her's instead

http://decalpaper.com.au/index.php

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-17-2008, 02:36 AM
ticketec

Hey Cimara,

yeah we do get some of the testors products here but they are hard to locate as they arn't all that popular. i haven't seen the decal paper at any hobby shops before, i an also build plastic models.

Hey CastorTroy2150,

Thanks but i reckon Ghost paint job will be the show stopper! Mine will just be the standard 2 tone scheme. I also thought a jet would be nice and have been keeping my eye out for a Byron F-16 for ages because i heard that they are the best ducted fan trainer out there. i would love to transition to turbine models one day. but not yet.[] I'm really looking forward to getting this one completed and having something a little different to fly at our next warbirds meet! Electrics are the way to go in terms of ease.

A jet i was looking really hard at getting is the hobby people f-16. she's only little, but with the 8xl motor, 55mm fan and 4s li-po and it really moves along!!! here is a link to another site that sells the aircraft, motor and fan for $99 AUD, considering that what my ESC cost, its a great deal!

http://shop.eflypower.com/shop/views.asp?hw_id=1484

They now also have an A-7, F-35, A-4 and a rafale..... i wonder if the wifey would notice an A-7???

Thanks

dave
Old 09-17-2008, 06:43 AM
ticketec

Picked up the paint today. i did check out the Warbirds australia website but they didn't have the colours i needed so i when back to my trusty paint store. they colour matched the paint to my samples. to save on waste/cost etc, they gave me the tint's in little containers and i just had to buy a single tin of the base colour. so i got all my paint for $34!!! As you an see it sprays beautifully and as i stated, it's really windy and about to rain here but it does not affect the paint!

Thanks

dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86887.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1034974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59811.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1034975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38753.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1034976  
Old 09-17-2008, 07:22 AM
CastorTroy2150

Thanks, Does this mean that if I can find a F16 byron I should scoop it up? I know of one but it has fixed gear and a Nitro ducted fan, I could convert it to Electric, but how hard was it for you to get all the old paint off? Anyone know how hard it would be to convert to take retracts like ya'lls?
Old 09-17-2008, 08:28 AM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: CastorTroy2150

Thanks, Does this mean that if I can find a F16 byron I should scoop it up? I know of one but it has fixed gear and a Nitro ducted fan, I could convert it to Electric, but how hard was it for you to get all the old paint off? Anyone know how hard it would be to convert to take retracts like ya'lls?

Ahhh, mine still has fixed gear! and it had a nitro engine in it too. by the time i sold the original engine and tuned pipe, i paid next to nothing for the model! I'm currently seaching for what i want to ue for retracts but i can get the original retract brackets for $23 USD each from Iron bay. there is also another option i might be able to use.

50% of my paint flaked off but that all depends on who painted it and if they knew what they were doing. If they have, then you can just rought it back with some 240 grit followed by some 400 or so, and then paint over the top. i had to remoev mine because i knew the original paint was poorly applied ( didn't prepare the surface correctly.)

As for wheather you should buy it.... i'm probably not the one to ask. i haven't flown one, but all reports i could find state that nothing lands slower than a byron F-16 and that they are one of the best scale model trainers.

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-17-2008, 04:12 PM
The Ghost

Dave, thanks for the pressure about the paint job, will be picking up the rest of the paint today,so I may have the basic paint work done today.

CastorTroy2150, I would get the F-16 as Dave said thay are more like a trainer than a jet even though they do move along if you need it. The conversion is easy if you use the same stuff as Dave has used as mine is a different conversion to the nor Byron conversion. All that is replaced is the glow engine and fuel and exhaust system, you even use the orignal Byron fan and shroud.

The reason I went electric is that the 90 sized fan engines are hard to find and expensive, keeping the engines tuned for max power is also something to keep in mind, with electric they are tuned every time you plug in the fully charged batteries.

Cheers
Old 09-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: ticketec

Cheers
Hey Ghost, i have found this mob down your way that sells it as well. I would order some but the bank cancelled my credit card because they said my cards details had been compromised... i've been stung with credit card fraud before so i'm not all that annoyed. umm, might have to wait till the wife gets home and use her's instead

http://decalpaper.com.au/index.php

Thanks

Dave

good luck with that!!! [X(][:-]
Old 09-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: CastorTroy2150

If you think you may be interested, I have one I may just part with. Fuse is completely stripped of paint, and all foam surfaces are ready for covering after some minor filling. OS91 large head with fan & pipe. Engine will probably need disassembled and cleaned up. Have the Byron starter wand and plane is outfitted with retracts on the mains with BVM wheels & brakes. Full flying stab addendum per Byron instructions has been started, but needs to be finished out. Has new canopy and I believe I still have the original also.

If you will notice my location, probably within driving distance for you.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:20 PM
ticketec

Well, if he doesn't want it and you want to part with the retracts or cockpit kit. let me know!

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

mate take the whole bloody thing, you could have 2 of em!!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:25 PM
CastorTroy2150

Hmm sounds like a deal, how much for the set? if yo uwant you can call me anytime between 8am-10pm. 4195289507

pete
Old 09-17-2008, 08:34 PM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

mate take the whole bloody thing, you could have 2 of em!!

I might have enought aircraft in my garage to start by own airforce, but i've got no room for spares!!

The wifey struggle to understand why i need so many, imagen trying to explain a pair of them.... hang on, she has a fair few PAIRS of shoes

Thanks

Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.