Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Liquid Sheeting

Old 11-05-2010, 09:23 AM
edbu1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liquid Sheeting

I just became aware of this product called 'Liquid Sheeting' and would like to get opinions on it. I'm considering using it on an all balsa sheeted, kit built warbird. This would be instead of using fiberglass cloth and epoxy. How does the strength compare? How does the weight compare?

Ed
Old 11-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Liquid Sheeting

Please head over to RC Scale Builder. Look for posts by awrightbrother (his real name is Fahim, a heck of a great guy)

The fine gentleman who uses Liquid Sheeting has built a B-26, and a A-10 using foam and liquid sheeting. Does a heck of a job with it.

His company is WOW Planes, found here, http://www.wowplanes.com/

He sells foam kits and liquid sheeting.

This is an A-10 done with Liquid Sheeting:

Old 11-05-2010, 11:50 AM
edbu1

I'm hoping that someone other than the guy who sells the product can give me feedback on how it performs. Anybody?

Ed
Old 11-05-2010, 01:51 PM
miklos
My Feedback: (38)

OK..... it's made to cover foam..... That should give you a clue right there. I don't beleive it's made to be a substitue for fibergalssing a wing or anything else for that matter. It's more geared toward the small light weight electric EDF crowd in my opinion.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Evil_Merlin

If you guys had bothered to visit his web site, you would have seen this:

"Liquid Sheeting is a coating that can be applied to foam and balsa sheeted model surfaces. "

And if you bothered to check out his web site you would see most of his planes are far from small.

The A-10 has a 74" WS.

The B-26 has a 80" WS.

Most of his other planes are 60" or more.

Read people... read.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:29 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

You are missing the point he want someone else to give an UNBIASED account of the product not the person selling it. A used car salesman not going to tell you the care you are about to buy may not last 3 months.
I too would like some feed back on this product . I would like to give it a try but want to know if it is any good and also how far does the 8ozs really go.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:11 PM
eagledancer

i seen the a-10 in the above pic at monster planes, i was very impressed with the liquid sheeting. he had a partial plane there that you could see the thickness and strength of the liquid sheeting. looks like a wonderful product. i have yet to use it but that a-10 is on my wish list. but i cant say how far it goes or how much it fills. i have a feeling alot of that depends on your ability to sand before applying the product
Old 11-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like a great product, but I don't believe the product is much different from a two part auto primer?

The cured product has to be sanded and painted, as does primer.

8 ozs. for 20.00 isn't going to go very far. I'm not sure if the weight is high for the covering distance?

Balsa has to be filled somehow, and glassing is an easy way to accomplish this.

I never change a winning game. Polyester laminating resin and glass has "worked well" for me for over 25 years. So has the toilet paper I us with it. Well, the toilet paper has worked well much much longer.

So has auto paint worked well.

I say this repeatedly, some body shops will give this stuff away.

FYI. Spies Hecker, which happens to be my first choice in automotive paint, offers a red brown primer, in aerosol cans. The stuff goes on like the old lacquer primers. The Spies Hecker primer I'm suggesting is also offered in cans. Spies Hecker #3255.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:43 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmm..... probably too new to ave a lot of use out in the public mainstream. I am sure if someone is really interested, they could give the manufacturer a call and ask all the questions they wish. As an educated modeler, I am sure you will not be manipulated by the vendor. Just ask the right questions. The important one to me would be how much will it take to do my plane. Then an accurate assesment of the expense can be determined.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Evil_Merlin

8oz was enough to cover the A-10 with enough left over for one of his 60 sized birds...
Old 11-05-2010, 10:01 PM
eagledancer

actually its quite a bit different then 2 part primer, this gives a hard shell like .75 oz glass but so much easier to use
Old 11-05-2010, 10:36 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I attended Monster Planes USA in October of this year. WOW Planes had a booth there and it was the first time I saw this product. The owner showed me a sample of BALSA, yes balsa, with one coat of "liquid Sheet" applied to it. It remained flexible, yet had a very hard smooth shell on it that could not be dented with a finger nail. Very interesting. I was a pilot at the event and went back to flying. When I returned, he had sold out. When I got home, I ordered some online.

I plan to use it on a couple foam projects, but in the meantime, I have used it on repairs to a P-38 where previously, I would have used Glass. It is amazingly simple to use, has plenty of working time, but sets up faster that glass. I used the cheap foam brushes he recommends and they really do work great. The part can be handled in about 30 minutes. It flows out extremely well and fills wood grain with just one coat. the next day, the stuff is fully cured and sands nicely. I used 320. I only felt I needed one coat on these repairs (didn't need that second coat to fill the weave because there is none), but on some foams, two might be best. Either way, it is lighter than epoxy, yet seems to have better tensile strength. It bends (within reason) but won't crack. Perfect for models, it would seem. I got three batches of the stuff, but I see it goes a long way. May take awhile to use it all.

So far, I'm impressed with Liquid Sheet, and I'll continue to find uses for it, till I can get to the foam building I plan to do.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:23 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

on the vid the guy states you MUST do both sides of a surface at the same time to avoid warping it.

He also says he waits 1/2 hour (til the first side is dry to the touch) to begin the second side.

I would be scared during the half an hour that the balsa covered surface would already start to "move". This is just speculation on my part, as i have not tried it myself. Would also love to hear from someone who has tried it on sheeted surface.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:26 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting information about the product:
Description:

Liquid Sheeting is a coating that can be applied to foam and balsa sheeted model surfaces.
It is brushed on with a foam brush, and leaves a glossy, smooth, shell finish.
Cures in 1 hour to an almond color and can be painted with most paints and spray cans.
Eliminates sanding.
Working life is approx 30 minutes. But if kept sealed after mixing working time can be several hours.
Must be used at temperatures between 70 and 80 degrees and humidity above 35% for best results.
Storage life is about 6 months at normal room temperature.

Weight:

A thin coat of LS-2 is approx 0.1 oz/sq. ft.
Finished weight will depend on thickness and number of coats applied
The above info is a guide only and results may vary dependant on application.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:46 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The foam kits produced by WOW look very good as builder kits go.

They chose some nice airplanes to model too.

They basically combined foam block construction with electric power and came up with a marriage made in heaven. And it looks like they're kitted in the U.S.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:28 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: vasek

on the vid the guy states you MUST do both sides of a surface at the same time to avoid warping it.

He also says he waits 1/2 hour (til the first side is dry to the touch) to begin the second side.

I would be scared during the half an hour that the balsa covered surface would already start to ''move''. This is just speculation on my part, as i have not tried it myself. Would also love to hear from someone who has tried it on sheeted surface.
My fuselage is sheeted. It works just as glassing does. If the part is a foamie wing, yes, both sides must be done. Even paint will warp a wing in that case, if not applied to both sides. I am doing a 100" Corsair I will be using it on. I'll update here as I work more with the stuff.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:56 AM
tunakuts3d

could this stuff be used like the minwax poly -u to adhere glass cloth and possibly save a lot of weave filling coats? Any advantage?
Paul
Old 11-06-2010, 09:23 AM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: tunakuts3d

could this stuff be used like the minwax poly -u to adhere glass cloth and possibly save a lot of weave filling coats? Any advantage?
Paul
That would certainly be a "best of both worlds" application and would satisfy alot of anxiety over the durability concerns. Interesting idea.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:09 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have some of this product that I just recieved last week. I'm looking forward to using it on a 90mm EDF F-86. Its a large foam jet at 57"....perfect for the product. It does seem alittle particular about the temperatures for storage and use, but other than that it seems like a good product. The finished products the site shows are beautiful for sure.

I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'll let you know!

Casey
Old 11-06-2010, 12:09 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

I attended Monster Planes USA in October of this year. WOW Planes had a booth there and it was the first time I saw this product. The owner showed me a sample of BALSA, yes balsa, with one coat of ''liquid Sheet'' applied to it. It remained flexible, yet had a very hard smooth shell on it that could not be dented with a finger nail. Very interesting. I was a pilot at the event and went back to flying. When I returned, he had sold out. When I got home, I ordered some online.

I plan to use it on a couple foam projects, but in the meantime, I have used it on repairs to a P-38 where previously, I would have used Glass. It is amazingly simple to use, has plenty of working time, but sets up faster that glass. I used the cheap foam brushes he recommends and they really do work great. The part can be handled in about 30 minutes. It flows out extremely well and fills wood grain with just one coat. the next day, the stuff is fully cured and sands nicely. I used 320. I only felt I needed one coat on these repairs (didn't need that second coat to fill the weave because there is none), but on some foams, two might be best. Either way, it is lighter than epoxy, yet seems to have better tensile strength. It bends (within reason) but won't crack. Perfect for models, it would seem. I got three batches of the stuff, but I see it goes a long way. May take awhile to use it all.

So far, I'm impressed with Liquid Sheet, and I'll continue to find uses for it, till I can get to the foam building I plan to do.
Very interesting. I saw the video and I am interested in trying the stuff. Sounds like an acrylic coating.

What is not as clear is the amount of weight build up the product imparts. The brochure stated a weight of around 0.1 oz per sq foot, but that it depends on application. Fair enough. If one has a balsa surface down and applies it directly on to fill grain, and only picks up 0.1 oz pe sq foot for a paint ready surface, I'd say that's good. 0.1 oz per sq foot is half the weight of monokote, to give you a frame of reference.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Gravity Storm

I have glassed and used liquid sheeting. I do not care for the liquid sheeting. It does not flow well at all. It is a very hard surface when finished but also hard to sand. I have had much better results with glassing. I have not tried LS on balsa just on foam, so I do not know how it will work on balsa. I also received a email from the supplier after I purchased and used my LS stating that it was now improved? Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:23 PM
ram3500-RCU

My experience so far is positive. I found it to be very hard, yet seems to be still flexible enough for our use. I sand it with 320-400 where it flowed perfectly (most of the areas), and smoothed it out with 150 where it needed more smoothing. Then went over it again with 220 then 400. IMO, it sands remarkably well for as hard as it is. This is all over balsa so far. I can see where you may, as he states, want a second coat over foam, but keep in mind, the need for the surface prep with the filler 'slurry" for best results. I can't wait to use it on a Depron plane. With a hard shell of this stuff and Testors spray paint, my jets will look so much better. As I now have the stuff on hand, I see myself finding more ways to use it. Maybe even molding small parts for cockpits, for example.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:42 PM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: edbu1

I'm hoping that someone other than the guy who sells the product can give me feedback on how it performs. Anybody?

Ed
This sounds like the liquid table top, bar top resin, etc.sold in home depot. based on two equal parts goes over foam, it could be the same stuff.Epoxy based drys like glass. I use the stuff from home depot on all my projects. Reduce with some denatured alcohol to desired consistency.Strengthens balsa better than anything I have found.$ 18 for a 1 qrt kit last I bought it. 1 pint of hardner and 1 pint of Epoxy part B
Old 11-07-2010, 09:40 AM
jbdismukes
My Feedback: (2)

<script type="text/javascript">titleAndStar(67,115,0,false,"","")</script>
am unable to track down the product you describe. Can you provide the brand name and department where it would be listed at Home Depot online?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 11-07-2010, 10:24 AM
box car

I buy it at our Ace Hardware ( Envior Tex Lite ) Most builders won't like it because it has a very slow cure time about 24 hours. I like it because it is very thin works nice on glass, I coat the front of the fuselage inside and outside with it. It also can be used as a very slow cure epoxy, I have used it for years its not a new thing.
Ken

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.