Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD

Old 09-13-2009, 05:35 PM
vmibert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD

I've almost completed my Bf-109! I ordered a reverse circuit for one of my dive brake servos. I also need to balance the plane.

I used the following components:

- Dave Platt spinner
- Sierra Giant retracts
- Aces of Iron pilot
- Navigation lights (really bright LEDs)
- Smart Fly dual battery circuit
- Carbon composite rods for tail section controls
- OS-FA 200 Engine (2 cubic inch 4-stroke with pump)
- Glow plug driver
- All Hi-Tec servos

The total weight of the airplane (not including fuel) is only 15 pounds. I did a simple calculation on the thrust to weight ratio and this baby could easily go beyond a T:W > 1!!

When it starts to cool down, here in Tucson I'll take it out for a test flight!

Here are a couple of photos. I put on the name of my wife's Great Uncle - Max Wagner from Augsburg, Germany. He was a Bf-109 Test Pilot for Messerschmitt, during World War II. I had the honor of spending a few days with him and his wife, back during the mid-90s after I attended a conference in Germany.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74582.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1274480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19235.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1274481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95173.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1274482  
Old 09-13-2009, 07:00 PM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good vmibert !
Looking fwd to hearing of your flight report.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:08 PM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4975

Have you guys seen this ?
This one is the scheme I think I'll have mine painted as, either black or red tulip.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:59 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to do Herman Graf's red tulip. Still around 500 color schemes to pic from.

Steve
Old 09-19-2009, 11:37 PM
bigfella65

Guy at our field today lost his 109 due to a exploding spinner, it was the planes fourth flight and he was still breaking in the motor. New plane with new seirra retracts stuffed/unrepairable and he will be giving cmp an earfull, all was caught on video camera as well. Luckly no one was hit by the flying plastic, we found about 12 pieces of the spinner all over the airstrip and upto about 50 feet from where it exploded in mid flight over the airstrip, never found the prop.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:40 AM
SCALECRAFT

The spinners weak link is its backplate. I turned an alum one. If you look back on the posts, you'll see many other options for a safer spinner.

Steve
Old 09-20-2009, 01:02 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

I hope to have the spun domes for a scale spinner in about a week. Then I will have backplates machined to fit the domes.
Ty
Old 09-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Evil_Merlin

CMP/Nitroplanes won't do a damn thing... except maybe send you a new spinner.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:36 PM
vmibert

When I discovered a part on my BF-109 from CMP was missing an essential piece, I contacted Nitroplanes. They said told me my plane was out of warranty. I told them that it took me a while to discover one of the hindges was not manufactured correctly. And given you can't buy those kind of hindges anywhere (I've tried), this made me very upset. I finally contacted the parent company and they promptly mailed me a new set of hindges from China.

Bert
Old 09-20-2009, 07:50 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

YOu would have to contact Jackie at CMP , I doubt they will do anything .
IN doing so publicilly would have them admit to the neglagence and potential problems from any serious injury that may occur .
I did not start my assembly yet on my BF109 , but I know that my CMP73" P40 had the same problem as noted againg by one of the first guys to fly it .
I was lucky once again not to use the stock spinner .
Its a shame that a company that has come a long way in the last 5 years still ignors the safty of the final consumer purchaseing the product .
If this keeps up , the containers will be eventully held either in China or the USA for saftey testing . I know on most of these planes the lead in the paint would never make it in if tested .
If you want to see how much lead is on your model , go under the wing , take a small dull pencil or pen with the tip retracted , run it accross the paint very lightly and see if you can draw a line that a nice clear sign of lead and good reason to wear a mask when sanding any of these planes
Old 09-21-2009, 02:17 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: LDM

YOu would have to contact Jackie at CMP , I doubt they will do anything .
IN doing so publicilly would have them admit to the neglagence and potential problems from any serious injury that may occur .
I did not start my assembly yet on my BF109 , but I know that my CMP73'' P40 had the same problem as noted againg by one of the first guys to fly it .
I was lucky once again not to use the stock spinner .
Its a shame that a company that has come a long way in the last 5 years still ignors the safty of the final consumer purchaseing the product .
If this keeps up , the containers will be eventully held either in China or the USA for saftey testing . I know on most of these planes the lead in the paint would never make it in if tested .
If you want to see how much lead is on your model , go under the wing , take a small dull pencil or pen with the tip retracted , run it accross the paint very lightly and see if you can draw a line that a nice clear sign of lead and good reason to wear a mask when sanding any of these planes

I guess this is one of the by-products of paying so little for these models......

Thanks

dave
Old 09-21-2009, 05:19 AM
LDM

Yes , correct , I dont use the spinners or any of the horns , hindges ect and it really does not bother me at all .
When you pay aprox $200 for a plane ,that would have cost me about $450 to build , then I dont care about the extras , however they would be better off leaving them out for safty reasons .
I paid the bare bones price for my Jet-tech Fw190 CMP knock off , no spinner ect and I would rather have it that way .
Old 09-21-2009, 07:03 AM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: LDM

Yes , correct , I dont use the spinners or any of the horns , hindges ect and it really does not bother me at all .
When you pay aprox $200 for a plane ,that would have cost me about $450 to build , then I dont care about the extras , however they would be better off leaving them out for safty reasons .
I paid the bare bones price for my Jet-tech Fw190 CMP knock off , no spinner ect and I would rather have it that way .

true, true, i agree with you there. If your going to have to throw it away then there's no point wasting your money paying for it.

I've gotten the Turbine itch, and i'm hoping i will still have enough conviction to put together this model........

Thanks

dave
Old 09-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I look at these cheap planes as some raw material, not a finished product that is ready to assemble. Those who blindly use all of the pieces provided and expect no problems could be in for a suprise. Many tend to put on more power than what is recommended which can amplify the problems. I never intended to use the cheap plastic spinner from the start. I still have it sitting in my shop. As they say, you get what you pay for. As some of you have stated, it would be better if they left the cheap junk out of the box and reduced the price by a couple of bucks.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:34 AM
SCALECRAFT

Remember ARF means "almost ready to fix." Price doesn't matter much these days. One must inspect the item. Except for BVM.

Building basics a must for safe operation.

Steve
Old 09-22-2009, 12:29 AM
vmibert

Anyone tried this with their Bf-109? I just read in the current Oct issue of Model Aviation magazine that you should put a small weight in or on the right wing tip, to counter the powerful torque, on takeoff. Before I fly mine, I'm thinking of doing this. Does anyone out there have experience with a torque to roll left?

Bert
Old 09-22-2009, 04:46 AM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: vmibert

Anyone tried this with their Bf-109? I just read in the current Oct issue of Model Aviation magazine that you should put a small weight in or on the right wing tip, to counter the powerful torque, on takeoff. Before I fly mine, I'm thinking of doing this. Does anyone out there have experience with a torque to roll left?

Bert

What happenes when you come off the throttle......? it will always want to drop the heavier wing. including during a stall...

You normally offset the fin to counteract torque. I have a few models with a fair bit bigger motors than what is recommended and torque has never been a big problem. Low, Slow, and slamming the throttle might get you into trouble, but easing the throttle and your away.

Thanks

dave
Old 09-22-2009, 05:18 AM
LDM

cheap hardware is cheap hardware , but getting people hurt is a totally new thing , its simply not good !
Old 09-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The amount of torque effect (actually caused by prop thrust on the rudder, not engine torque) will vary based on the angle of attack the plane has. With taller landing gear, the affect is made stronger as you try to pick up speed, once you get the plane level on the mains the amount goes down. If you jump up into the air and climb out steeply with full throttle it is once again very strong.

I have not had much problem with 109. The long tail moment seems to be a benifit. I very seldom use full throttle to take off which can also help. As for putting weight on the wingtip, I have never heard of that before and would think the affect it would have to nuetralize torque effect on take off would be minimal.

Name:	Nl28913.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	1279905  
Old 09-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Evil_Merlin

Its not good, but honestly China doesn't care. So I don't honestly expect much to change...
Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 PM
vmibert

Thank you so much for your response. According to the article, you use the formula of 2 oz x cc in. of engine. So for my 2 cc in OS engine I would install a 4 oz weight on the right wing tip.

The article info:

The Antitorque Device
Twisting forces can do horrible things to a well-built model
John Hunton

http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/OCT09/toc.htm

Bert
Old 09-22-2009, 10:00 PM
SCALECRAFT

ORIGINAL: vmibert

Thank you so much for your response. According to the article, you use the formula of 2 oz x cc in. of engine. So for my 2 cc in OS engine I would install a 4 oz weight on the right wing tip.

The article info:

The Antitorque Device
Twisting forces can do horrible things to a well-built model
John Hunton

http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/OCT09/toc.htm

Bert
Hi All

I believe the prop size and pitch play a big roll in this torque issue , along with the engine.

I just read the "Antitorque Devise" article. I can see how this could work. In fact, the same reasoning is why the muffler is on the right side of a side exhaust engine, to counter (minimal effect) the torque. I think the antitorque devise makes the torque more manageable by "slowing down" the left pull and not eliminating it.

I personally use throttle control and rudder, but may try this out one day when I use a large scale 3 blade on this 109 that may pull this model off the run way. Can only try it to see..

Steve
Old 09-23-2009, 05:53 AM
LDM

"Its not good, but honestly China doesn't care. So I don't honestly expect much to change... "

I agree , in my business when foreced to comply to the new FDA rules , many of our suppliers said " have a nice day " we are no longer interested in doing business with the USA "
Old 09-26-2009, 04:55 PM
vmibert

Should I not use the rubber engine mounts that come with the CMPro Bf-109 AFF kit? I completely revamped my engine mount with hard wood mounts and plywood - as suggested on this building thread. I still used the rubber mounts that came with the kit. I am using a four-stroke OS Surpass 200 (2 cubic inch engine). I have noticed that the engine vibrates significantly at lower RPMs. Should I replace these with something solid (hard wood or metal)?

I can't wait to fly this plane - but it is still too hot here - It is over 100 degrees F in Tucson - way too hot to be outside!

Thanks,

Bert

Name:	Om33630.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	1282818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85552.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1282819  
Old 09-27-2009, 03:38 PM
LDM

The spinner is a discussion of danger , the mounts are more on the lines of performance and problems.
THe original release of the new mounts was on the new CMP 73" P40 .
If you look up FDL build of the 73" on RCU you will see that he used the kits rubber mounts and the movement and vibration forced him to take the engine out and rework the area with differant material .
I am not familar with your method as we cant see it in the pics but if you getting unusually vibration (higher then normal ) you may want to rethink your mounts .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.