Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD

Should I use an on-board glow driver on my OS200 that's mounted in this plane? I don't have any experience with running these engines inverted.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:54 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine doesn't care if it's inverted whatsoever.
If you can tune it properly, an on-board glow is not necessary at all.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:27 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: mike early

The engine doesn't care if it's inverted whatsoever.
If you can tune it properly, an on-board glow is not necessary at all.
I do not agree with that at all.
4 strokes do not run as well inverted without an onboard glow. It does matter orientation regardless of how well tuned a motor is. The fuel is being dumped into the carb and gravity will pull it into the cylinder head(and accumulate) which can cause vapor lock or cooling of the plug too much to allow proper ignition.
For any 4 stroke engine mounted inverted, an onboard glow system is a good idea. One of the main benefits is keeping the motor RUNNING when throttling down to idle when trying to land...and then IF necessary...being able to throttle up quickly without motor hesitation(loading up) or even stalling out and quitting.
Aside from keeping a motor running at low to mid throttle range(depending on where you set the onboard glow to stop providing heat)...it also makes it 100% easier to get the motor started to begin with sicne you dont have to fuss with a glow stick and getting under the cowl/engine simply to hook it up..and then remove it once the motor isw running.

An onboard glow provides smoother idle and also lets you lower the idle rpm without the motor stalling out compared to the same motor not using an onboard glow.

Ive learned my lesson so to speak regarding the use or lack thereof relative to onboard glow. Sure....I'll fly a 40 size warbird like a kyosho me-109 with a saito 72 in it inverted without onboard glow. Why? Cuz the plane is light and if the motor quits, the plane wont become a unpowered brick.
However, in the case of higher wingloaded planes such as this CMP ME-109, if the motor dies, especially at a bad time, your in for a hard time and probable crash/damage.
Hell..ive had light Hangar 9 warbirds with saito 100's, 125's properly tuned simply quit on final approach prior to making the runway simply because a glow plug starts to fail and no onboard glow means heat dissipation on the cylinder head resulting in a motor that dead sticks. The result? No thrust when your already throttled down = a wing stall and spiral into the ground = smush.

An onboard glow means piece of mind for me and usually saves an airplane from occurances similar to described above.
Theres no way in the world Id fly my 80" P-51 with a saito 220 in it without onboard glow. Why risk losing a $1500 airplane for a part that costs $60. Same for my 95" B-25 with twin 170 radials.
Motors do load up in the air and can go lean even under the best circumstance. Also...fuel is another cause for deadsticks. As fuel gets older or even if somehow it gets water in it, that will cause issues. What sounds great on the ground can turn nasty in the air. yes...it can and does happen. An onboard glow can keep a plug firing even with somewhat questionable fuel.
Ive got a TF 60 size P-51 with a saito 125 in it. On the ground, the motor sang and ran beautifully.....giving 9000+ rpms. However, once in the air....the plane definitely didnt act like it was running well at all. The motor was properly tuned, rpm checked, richness/leaness and all that nice stuff check prior to takeoff. It had even flown before so i knew what it should have flown like. But...had a batch of bad fuel and it ran like a dog once airborne. Had there not been an onboard glow on it set to run up to 3/4 throttle....the motor would have deadsticked. I know this cuz I couldnt throttle above 3/4 without the motor starting to sputter.

id recommend you get the mcadaniels onboard glow from horizonhobby. You can set it to any throttle setting you want and has an indicator light on a wire extension for you to mount wherever you like for easy viewing so you know its on or off relative to throttle position.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:39 PM
mike early

I love kahlog, but I have six 4-strokes and they are every one inverted.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:00 PM
kahloq

For me.....its worth having the onboard glow. Like i said....piece of mind.
ESM ME-109 saito 180
H9 80 P-51 saito 220
VQ P-40 saito 100
TF P-51 saito 125
ESM Stuka saito 150
ESM FW-190 saito 180
Kyosho 90 Spitfire saito 125
Uk kit build 60 size ME-109 OS 120
ESM B-25 twin saito 170's
ESM ME-110 twin saito 91s

All of them are inverted and all have onboard glow
Old 12-16-2010, 11:08 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi All

Only posted once before on this thread, but IMO about the on board glow thing, if you have it, it will not hurt to use it and can only help the low end, I learned this lesson a long time ago when using inverted 4 stroke's and Castor based fuel, after shut down the Castor would accumalate in the cylinder head on the plug, made it very difficult to start and the first few runs where a bit doggy to say the least until the plug cleaned up, I also think the integrity of the plug was eventually compromised by the fuel deposits, these days with the use of high Nitro in the fuel the situation is worse, Nitro being more caustic than Castor ever was, so as I said it can only help.

Mike
Old 12-17-2010, 06:28 AM
irocbsa

Good discussion here. Thanks for the information everyone. I'll plan on using an onboard glow for the peace of mind.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:50 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

On board glow is convenient. The ideal on board glow is on a micro switch at the throttle servo to glow at low range and idle.

Don't need it at the high end. May burn the element.

But still, learn to fly dead stick.

Steve
Old 12-17-2010, 02:23 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tell you guys. I have been running onboard glow and I run it with it on all the time.. Better transition, better idle, lower idle. I had a 3 engine Savoia Marchetti on four strokes that i flew for over 2 years without an engine out. I never burned out a glow plug. I actually think it keeps the temp constant and make the element last longer...JMO

Ty
Old 12-17-2010, 02:40 PM
kahloq

i do the same thing
Old 12-17-2010, 07:05 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a radio shack micro switch, glue it to the servo so that the other side of the servo output arm actuates it. the switch is set up for power on on the spring side, and that power comes off the plug at 80 percent throttle.

I use one 1300mah battery the average draw of a glow plug is 3.25A so that battery is good for:

1.3/3.25 = .4hr = 24min.

Then while sitting between flights I plug it into my flight box that charges it back up to full.

I use the glow bee sockets, the sullavins have brass on both sides of the socket and found it was a cause of noise.

If you use os F plugs the socket my need to be trimmed with a dremel cutting wheel to fully attach. If that has to be done I want stainless steel not brass.

My 2 cents (still looking for the cent key)

Joe
Old 12-18-2010, 07:42 AM
irocbsa

I got my E-Flite retracts today and test fitted them for the oleo struts. The retracts dropped right in with no modifications. I might need to rake them forward a bit based on everyone else's experience with the plane.

For future reference, if using the E-Flite units, the oleo strut length to order is 5.2". I'm using struts from Lado.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:52 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ty is correct. It will also give you a bit more RPM with a hotter plug at all running.

Jeff
Old 12-21-2010, 07:14 AM
messerschmidtman

Any of you guys used the ASP 180 F/S engine?

I bought one for my 109 but the thing vibrated so much the bolts in the test bench came loose. god knows what it would have done to the airframe. I know its an economy engine but there are limits to whats acceptable.

First of all I was told by the distibuter that I was using the wrong fuel so i changed to the recommended sort and, guess what - - - -  no difference!!

I sent it back to the distibuters. After they ran it they said there was nothing wrong with it but after some table thumping they changed the crank shaft & bearings.Apparently it now runs a lot better but I have not had a chance to try it yet  I reckon the crank was not balanced properly.

If its no better I guess its gonna get dumped.

Any one want to buy a nearly brand new nose weight!!

Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 AM
BaldEagel

I could do with a paper weight.

Mike
Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 AM
messerschmidtman

Hi Mike

Merry xmas to you & the Pugh

Old 12-21-2010, 08:40 AM
BaldEagel

And to you and a happy new year as well, I am snowed in at the moment, but its thawing.

Mike
Old 12-29-2010, 03:57 AM
fockewulf37

Ok Guys I have a big Question. I have provided spinners for the CMP 109 in the recent past. I have quit using the company that I bought the Domes from due to quality control issues. I won't send one out that isn't right. Well here is my question.

I am looking into having this spinner cut from bar stock which will increase the cost. But you will gain the fact there is a single bolt in the front of the spinner and not all those around the bottom. There would be a locking ring around the bottom.

The problem is that the Cost of the spinner would be over $100.. I am not sure how much over.. Would there be an interest if the spinner came in at $120.

Thanks Ty
Old 12-29-2010, 04:38 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Ty,

Myself and a friend will take the first 2 that you get in!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 06:01 PM
21onen

Hi Ty!
Im good for another one or two of the new design. It would definitely make for a faster change over from a static prop to a flying prop. What size center hole and bolt size are you planning for the cone mounting screw.? The reason I ask is that I am planning to have a new prop adapter made for the E-flight 160 motor . I am using the four screw mount and have discussed this morning with a CNC machining company to make a new adapter with a longer shoulder (about .5-.75 inches longer) this would allow the motor to sit behind the existing Me-109 nose bulkhead and project through the existing hole and to mate to your spinner which has about a 3/8 undercut on the back spinner plate. I will have an internal thread put into the tip of the threaded shaft for the spinner cone. This company(owned by an R/C modeller) has a lathe with milling attachments so all the machining is done once set up so this will hopefully prevent any of slightest misalignment. Tero T in Toronto
Old 12-29-2010, 06:05 PM
fockewulf37

Tero,
I should know in about a week If I will be able to get these made. Well I can get them made its just the cost I am concerned about. If i get them done I was planning on finding what is the standard size hole/ bolt is.. I'll keep ya'll posted...

Ty
Old 12-29-2010, 07:08 PM
21onen

Ty!
As I am not getting into the business of R/C if you would like to discuss prop adapters or any other machined parts send me a PM and I will put you through to my friend . This fellow has done everything from landing gear parts to engine housings for various R/C manufactures. Regards Tero T
Old 01-02-2011, 10:41 AM
irocbsa

Does anyone know what RLM color the landing gear strut is painted on this 109F?

http://www.pbase.com/bertone61/image/79470263
Old 01-02-2011, 02:01 PM
21onen

Looks to me 02 RLM Gray. Tero T
Old 01-02-2011, 02:06 PM
21onen

That was a great article and it also had a very good cockpit shot! Thx Tero T

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.