Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Tips on the US National Insignia

I beleive it was 1943 that the red surround was used for a short period. It was discontinued because some pilots just saw the red in a dog fight and shot at it thinking they saw a meat ball. So it was discontinued.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Luft-Ganster,

Chris' post #9 covers the period of red surround. "by 14 August 1943; just over 2 months after the red surround was directed."

But that is not what I noticed. want to try again?
    R, Mike P.
    Flying 1/3 BUSA Pup, 1/4 Proctor N-28, scratch 1/4 D-VII
    Building 1/3 Sopwith Tripehound for the Mid Atlantic Dawn (MAD) Patrol: Oct 1-5
    http://www.flytrc.com
    Spitfire Brotherhood #8
    Balsa USA Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FireBee

Chris, others,
    I need some help here, I may someday do my giant corsair as VF-17 (skull and crossbones) with either side # 3, 8, or 31.

tonight while loking at #3, I finally noticed something strange? are my eyes just tired? is the photo really showing a diff insignia?
    I won't state it just to see of others also note it.
    Looks like the entire white bar is surrounded in red but it could just be an anomoly in the picture. Sure looks that way to me though. Somebody may have mis-read the directive when adding the red!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chad,

that is what I noticed!! the left inside of white bar has a red outline where normally only blue is!

Since I'm just a Warbird Rally and not competing, I'll just go with more well known red surround.
    R, Mike P.
    Flying 1/3 BUSA Pup, 1/4 Proctor N-28, scratch 1/4 D-VII
    Building 1/3 Sopwith Tripehound for the Mid Atlantic Dawn (MAD) Patrol: Oct 1-5
    http://www.flytrc.com
    Spitfire Brotherhood #8
    Balsa USA Brotherhood #44

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used to teach the Navy's Paint and Finish course in Norfolk. We taught the old fashioned way to lay out the national insignia on an aircraft. One of the things we did was make a "ruler" with holes in it at strategic lengths, so we could simply scribe the circle, the border, and all the stripes. Made life much easier. I must have graded hundreds of final exam boards, which included either a tri color insignia or single color insigina and letters, plus someother incidental stuff. I've actually, somewhere, got instructions for laying out most of Nato's national insignia.

Actually, you can find it on the web... MIL-STD-2161. Also has instructions for painting the US insignia, but I think just the latest versions. Haven't cracked that book in years....
    In God I trust.
    All others pay cash.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just stumbled onto this Thread.

Good thing I've been making my stuff correct all these years.

Charles
    Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice explanation, Thanks.

The whole topic made me want to go check my homemade stencil and paint insignias....Whew! I passed!
    "The American taxpayer has always been politicaly deceived. It's their Birthright!"
    Lord Mountjoy, 'The Mouse on the Moon'

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Couple of notes.

Many P-47s (especially in Europe) wore insignia on both bottom surfaces of wings. This was an anti fratricide measure. Don't assume all P-47 s did though. This was also an exception and not the norm. It is very rare to find any other aircraft type done that way, and many P-47s did not.

In addition to the red color used being confused with the Japs, one of the primary reasons the red surround was painted over with blue was the complication of supporting it in the field. Often it was simply applied incorrectly as in the photo on this thread. The other issue was red fading and paint quality issues. In addition, stocking another paint color for maintenance added complication.

It is risky to over generalize but...if the insignia did not include bars, as in the very early part of the war you will probably find them placed in all 6 positions. Either with red meatball or just a star on blue circle. Unless a rare photo shows otherwise, assume only 4 positions used if the insignia has the bars.

And yes you will find what are called "transition" insignia. Insignia like the star and bars with no surround. These are cases where the squadron misinterpreted the directive or hadn't finished the work yet!

Chris,
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge, very informative post which I will certainly use in the future. I hope it opens the door to perhaps similar posts on WWI/II/post-war British, German, and other air forces.
    Thank you again,
    Bruno
    Bruno
    Spitfire Brotherhood #41
    Actual projects:
    - Byron Corsair
    - Bates 1/4.5 Sea Fury
    Future Projects:
    - 1/6 Heinkel HE111, my plans

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Bruno,
    I wish the jet flyers were interested in accuracy as much as warbirds flyers are. I too look forward to any info from research someone might have on British and German insignia.
    Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Excellent post. I never knew most of this detail. Thx

Jeff
    Where's my glue....I gotta build!
    Spitfire Bro #108

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What about the insignia that is only White??? No stripes, nothing but white star and bars.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The all white insignia (used on Navy all blue scheme) is no different. Just leave the blue background and blue surround off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123